• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Alrus

Done with the shadow temple. I think I'm gonna stop using the biggoron sword, it makes the game even easier, I beat that boss in 5 minutes =/ Kinda ruined it as it's supposed to be an awesome boss fight :(

Oh well, on to the last Temple, can't wait, it was my favorite in the original =)

DJ88

Walked into Best Buy at around 3:30 pm today. Went to the 3DS section and there was Zelda sitting on the shelf like it was any other game. Picked it up, came home, and did the registration. I used Chrome with pop up blocker disabled on MacOS and got the pop up no problem. CD is confirmed and all is well.

I've got my 3DS here, good quality headphones, comfy couch, and the rest of a dark rainy evening to play Ocarina of Time my first time I ever. Life is good.

I'll be back later with impressions!

Bruiserk

DJ88 said:
Walked into Best Buy at around 3:30 pm today. Went to the 3DS section and there was Zelda sitting on the shelf like it was any other game. Picked it up, came home, and did the registration. I used Chrome with pop up blocker disabled on MacOS and got the pop up no problem. CD is confirmed and all is well.

I've got my 3DS here, good quality headphones, comfy couch, and the rest of a dark rainy evening to play Ocarina of Time my first time I ever. Life is good.

I'll be back later with impressions!

First time ever? Don't take it for granted. I look forward to a first timers impressions.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I had no problems with calling the Nintendo helpline with the number somebody already posted. I even joked with the rep about how she must be getting a lot of these calls, and she really seemed frazzled by the whole thing. She even said mine should be going out in about three business days, which is sooner than I'd have expected.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Just beat the second dungeon :D I've only ever gotten as far as
The belly of that fish thing
So everything from that point on is going to be brand new to me.
I had only ever made to the second dungeon on my initial play through.

I'm a few dungeons in now and the hype for this game is warranted.

besiktas1

ffs I'm stuck again.

I'm in the rock eaters cave, there's a massive thing rolling about. Other rockeaters are knocking about . There are lots of torches and plants knocking about. I'm guessing I have to use my stick and set them on fire. The lava bit in the cave has only one stone thing. I'm guessing I have to use the lave here to set the other shit alight.

P.S every time I switch it off why am I back at the beginning village, that's going to get annoying soon. I can feel it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Man I want this game...but no 3DS.

I hope I can borrow my friend's sometime in the near future. Love this game so much.

B-Dex

I was getting some TERRIBLE crosstalk with this game. Maybe it's cause my eyes are tired but torches, lighter edges and rocks are all ghosting. Pretty awful.

Thanks to a drug induced set of teen years I have barely ANY recollection of this game.Its like im playing it for the first time \m/

Feelsgoodman

besiktas1 said:
ffs I'm stuck again.

I'm in the rock eaters cave, there's a massive thing rolling about. Other rockeaters are knocking about . There are lots of torches and plants knocking about. I'm guessing I have to use my stick and set them on fire. The lava bit in the cave has only one stone thing. I'm guessing I have to use the lave here to set the other shit alight.

P.S every time I switch it off why am I back at the beginning village, that's going to get annoying soon. I can feel it.
Go to the mat and play a song there.
That's all I will say affter that you will need to find out what to do on your own :p

Alrus

besiktas1 said:
ffs I'm stuck again.

You have to sing a specific song on the rug near the giant vase, some gorons in the village or near it will help you find out which one. You might not have it yet though.
. I could be more direct but that wouldn't be fun :)

antonz

Game really is remastered well. They could have obviously gone crazy with the remake but they stayed true to the original which I can appreciate

Barrett2

Random question; anyone know of any 24hr retailers in Manhattan? I'm too busy today to pick this up today, but on my way to Penn Station tomorrow morning I might want to leave a little early and grab it...

Setanta

Neiteio said:
Man, this game looks superior in 3D. Period.

And they added stars to Hyrule Field's night sky. <3

There were always stars in Hyrule Fields night sky though.

And other things i've noticed:

3D looks better switched off in Hyrule Market, when u first enter via the drawbridge house in particular the 3D isn't represented well and makes the static graphics a little too jagged. Switching to 2D mode here looks fantastic!

I have noticed the Day to Night transition at Hyrule field is a little quicker than the N64 original.

Adult link gives the impression that he is running slower than the N64 original too.

And yeah, I still don't get the 'Link spinning around' bit when you open a door in a dungeon, looks out of place.

Just got off the phone with Nintendo customer support due to the soundtrack offer not popping up, the rep I spoke to was friendly but was a bit non-committal at this point however (so I'd call or e-mail ASAP today) but said I should get a confirmation e-mail "within 48 hours" so I'm sure I'm fine.

Anyways, love the game so far, I'm glad I have sharp eye sight, I've got the 3D cranked to the max, the remastered graphics are beautiful (although aiming with the gyroscope can break the 3D effect, mostly just gonna stick to analog aiming). Walking and running with the analog slider is super smooth. Just got the Kokiri sword (I get a kick out of how the message says I can "borrow" it, heh heh) and am on my way to the Deku tree. It's been about 11 years since I played through the game so I'm really looking forward to this.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Setanta said:
And yeah, I still don't get the 'Link spinning around' bit when you open a door in a dungeon, looks out of place.

So I'm not the only one who saw that. Burst out laughing the first time it happened. It's obviously a glitch. Link tries to turn around to the door he just unlocked but he's getting a seizure of something.

Disguises

BY2K said:
So I'm not the only one who saw that. Burst out laughing the first time it happened. It's obviously a glitch. Link tries to turn around to the door he just unlocked but he's getting a seizure of something.
As far as I know, it was in the original. Seems like something they really should have fixed for this definitive version though...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Agent Unknown said:
Just got off the phone with Nintendo customer support due to the soundtrack offer not popping up, the rep I spoke to was friendly but was a bit non-committal at this point however (so I'd call or e-mail ASAP today) but said I should get a confirmation e-mail "within 48 hours" so I'm sure I'm fine.

They said the same to me, I called today.

I got an email just 5 minutes ago saying my order has been shipped :p. You should get one too soon, hopefully :).

Wow, I was just gazing around in the courtyard of Zelda's castle, it seems pretty cool/cheesy to make the window seem to have a scene of something from a 2D mario game. And its pretty nice to hear a song that Ive heard so many times from Ninty fans in the game in her courtyard.

I stopped after I got the Sun's Song (graveyard for newbies), the Free Hylian Shield and getting my first bottle for the moment. I was just going to save and quit back to the Forest to get Saria's Song.

3D actually kinda hurts now, but fuck that noise, I'll stay at full blast while having this 3DS plugged in. Need to remember what else I can get at this point before I move on, like Epona's Song.

Neiteio

Setanta said:
There were always stars in Hyrule Fields night sky though.
I'm pretty sure the original OoT didn't have stars over Hyrule Field. Perhaps you're thinking of Majora's Mask? Night in MM was notable precisely because it added stars. Night in OoT was just dark clouds in a dark sky. Now we have stars, constellations, etc, and it's gorgeous. :)

Futureman

Kirbyguy said:
I stopped after I got the Sun's Song (graveyard for newbies), the Free Hylian Shield and getting my first bottle for the moment. I was just going to save and quit back to the Forest to get Saria's Song.

I'm exactly where you are. How do you get a free Hylian shield? I just got a discounted one by knowing the guy that guards the gate to the mountain.

Also, the stones that tell you the time, they say something about a fairy being inside, what's that about?

Just threw my 3DS on the dock, this is the first time I've seen the low battery on my unit. I've played for a good bit today and had the 3D near max for a lot of the time, so finally putting the system through it's paces.

Alrus

Futureman said:
I'm exactly where you are. How do you get a free Hylian shield? I just got a discounted one by knowing the guy that guards the gate to the mountain.

Also, the stones that tell you the time, they say something about a fairy being inside, what's that about?

If you play certain songs near them, a fairy comes out. (for example the song of storms makes a "super fairy" come out, she gives you back full health and mana).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Neuromancer said:
2D with AA looks so nice but I just can't give up my 3D. Either way, great looking game. Truly the best I've seen on the 3DS.
I kind of can't give up the AA. The IQ is PERFECT in 2d. And this is the first time I've felt that 3D was demonstrably dimmer than 2D.

Omikaru

Just beat the Water Temple. Despite the visual aids they've added, that temple is still a horror. Still, I managed to beat it all the same. And I won't miss it, either.

Though I don't even want to think about how awful it is on Master Quest.

Glix

Gyro camera in "L trigger" mode is fuck-all awesome. If you are just going through a room and you want to peek up or whatever, its so much easier than going into FPS mode and you don't have to break stride!!!!

Futureman said:

You get it in the same area as the Sun song, the Graveyard. However, unlike the Sun Song which you need to play Zelda's Lullaby to bust the big tome, you need to pull the gravestone with the flowers in front of it. It's at the front row of the graveyard, but it must be done at night.

mdtauk

I have just reached Jabu-Jabu's Belly, but I have been taking my time and am currently playing Link's Awakening, Twilight Princess, and since Friday... Minecraft of all things :)

Just wanted to let you guys know that it is still possible to get the heart piece up high on Death Mountain Trail early by jumping just right and catching the ledge.

BY2K said:
I've never seen this happen at a door. Are you talking about when the deku shrubs run off and Link spins in place as he tries to automatically face them?

Setanta

UncleSporky said:
I've never seen this happen at a door. Are you talking about when the deku shrubs run off and Link spins in place as he tries to automatically face them?

When you reopen a locked door in a dungeon, Link spins round on the spot! It's not a typical animation, but similiar to spinning a Smash Bros trophy around. Link becomes still in motion, but the model spins round 360 degrees. Its happened quite a lot.

And yes I have seen stars on the N64 Hyrule Field sky.

Alrus

Omikaru said:
Just beat the Water Temple. Despite the visual aids they've added, that temple is still a horror. Still, I managed to beat it all the same. And I won't miss it, either.

Though I don't even want to think about how awful it is on Master Quest.

Yeah I really dislike that temple :( It's sad because I think it's a really well made one, some of the keys are really well hidden and require a bit of thinking. But the water level mechanic is really tedious... They should have made the places where you have to play music less annoying to get to.

mdtauk

Setanta said:
When you reopen a locked door in a dungeon, Link spins round on the spot! It's not a typical animation, but similiar to spinning a Smash Bros trophy around. Link becomes still in motion, but the model spins round 360 degrees. Its happened quite a lot.

And yes I have seen stars on the N64 Hyrule Field sky.

I noticed this happening a couple of times in the original, mostly with the Deku Tree dungeon, but it does seem more prevalent in the remake and should not have carried over lol. Same with starting from your house or Temple of Time. As a portable game it would have been better to save the game and restart from the last Exit/Entrance you came from, in the area you saved in.

Varjet

Alrus said:
Yeah I really dislike that temple :( It's sad because I think it's a really well made one, some of the keys are really well hidden and require a bit of thinking. But the water level mechanic is really tedious... They should have made the places where you have to play music less annoying to get to.
Farore's Wind. Use it wisely.

Omikaru

NeoNess said:
Everyone - Where do you have your 3D slider at while playing the game?
100% most of the time. In darker areas I turn it off as I see some ghosting, but on the most part I enjoy it in full 3D.

Erekiddo

Pilotwings didn't hurt my eyes on 100%, this one does. Defective 3DS? More like defective eyes. :(

On another note:

GS Clerk: Do you want to buy the OoT guide along with the game today?
Me: A guide for a game I finished 13 years ago?

bummyhead

mdtauk said:
I noticed this happening a couple of times in the original, mostly with the Deku Tree dungeon, but it does seem more prevalent in the remake and should not have carried over lol. Same with starting from your house or Temple of Time. As a portable game it would have been better to save the game and restart from the last Exit/Entrance you came from, in the area you saved in.

I think Nintendo has, wisely realized that *most* people play their handhelds at home, *most* of the time.

While I agree that the save function should have been updated to start you where you last left off (and in fact I have never understood why it ever worked the way it does, even in the N64 version, dumb design), I really don't subscribe to the view that portable games should be any different conceptually than console games. Especially these days, people who are seeking cheap, short and shallow gaming experiences have phones for that now.

To those in Europe who preordered and got that special golden cover box as a preorder bonus:

While there's no PEGI rating on the back, is there any indications of Nintendo of Europe on the fine print or whatnot? I'm thinking of nabbing one of these boxes but it'd be kind of a bummer if regional consistency between this one game and the rest of the games I own is whacked.

NeoNess said:
Yeah, replies buried under soundtrack woes.

Everyone - Where do you have your 3D slider at while playing the game?
100% suprisingly considering the only games Ican 100% 3D is Street Fighter, Steel Diver, ExciteBike, Pokedex, and Smurai Warriors.

I still cant 100% RR3D, Rayman 2, Pilotwings, or Nintendogs :(

Just beat the second dungeon its soooo goood. I only plqyed this one time on the GC disk and beat it around 2007 or so...so its almost a new experince to me.

Futureman

Save system is fine for me as I honestly probably won't do anything else with my 3DS until I beat the game. Unless a new 3D Classic comes out, I'll pretty much be closing the lid, suspending and charging when I'm done with a play session. Next game I want is late July I believe (Bit.Trip Saga).

Mayyybe I'll close out of OOT 3D for some DK '94 (crazy to think OOT is only 4 years more recent than DK '94).

Top Bottom