• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

So I think I missed something but how do I restore all my hearts? Im constantly on just 2.5 even outside of dungeons, are there inns to restore health? (oh in Dodonga's dungeon). Fight was awesome with the two lizard things, with Navi being useful and prompting me to quickly target and Hyrulian Shield shield. (Watch Out!)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Dedication Through Light said:
So I think I missed something but how do I restore all my hearts? Im constantly on just 2.5 even outside of dungeons, are there inns to restore health?
Break open jars, look for Navi to turn green on certain areas. Buy potions. Break jars to find ruppees to buy potions. Beat enemies, go to a fairy spring, etc etc.

Docpan

I'm almost tempted to say that this is worth buying a 3ds for. The game looks that fucking incredible to me. Faries and blades of grass fly out of the fucking screen. I said wow, no really. Also, I don't think it has been touched on much but the textures have been significantly improved.

samoset

Here's something that I didn't remember from playing the original or never did at the time. I was messing around with the ocarina and played zelda's lullaby and a fairy popped out. I thought that strange and tried it again but nothing happened so I wasn't exactly sure if playing the song actually caused it to appear. But sure enough I played it about 2-3 more times and got another one to pop up. Pretty cool, I wonder if it was in the original though.

edit: actually you need to do it by one of the stones that tell the time if you hit it in order for it to work.

GJS

Superblatt said:
uhh...is it possible to not get saria's song? i'm in the dodongo caverns and don't seem to have access. wtf?
You can't get into the Dodongo Caverns without going to get Saria's Song.

mjc

So did anyone get the poster from GS? It seems like they weren't handing them out even though they said it was a reserve item.

kunonabi

I don't mind being stuck in dungeons as long as it's due to well designed puzzles that require actual critical thinking, reasoning, an eye for details, etc.. The water temple was a chore because of how tedious it was to navigate for reasons not related to thought provoking puzzles of any sort and and some poor camera work.

Hell I'm the guy who made it all the way back down the Temple of Time in TP without even using the dominion rod. I enjoy inching my way though a dungeon for a considerable length of time as long as I'm actually thinking my way through it. OoT never once managed that for me.

I'm not sure why I'm letting myself get roped into this again. OoT fans are so overly defensive about the game that any having any criticism against it is a crime against humanity.

Moving on, are the MQ dungeons always mirrored or is it an option?

KevinCow

Banned
kayos90 said:
Break open jars, look for Navi to turn green on certain areas.

This has confused and bugged me since the original. What's it all about? It always seems like she's just pointing at nothing.

Also what the hell Nintendo, as if Navi wasn't annoying enough, we now have

NAVI

NAVI

NAVI

NAVI

blinking at the bottom of the screen every time she has something to say.

This includes every single time you lock on to an enemy.

Why.

I can't believe the sheer amount of people who:

1) have never played the game.

2) are getting stuck, OoT is not a hard game, at all. I think it goes to show how much hand-holding games do nowadays.

Dedication Through Light said:
Theres a short cut in the cavern that links directly with the place near where you are given the song.
How'd you figure out which doors to go through in the Lost Woods?

Also, Navi was awesome in 1998 and remains to be. Hate more haters.

Reknoc

KevinCow said:
This has confused and bugged me since the original. What's it all about? It always seems like she's just pointing at nothing.

Also what the hell Nintendo, as if Navi wasn't annoying enough, we now have

NAVI

NAVI

NAVI

NAVI

blinking at the bottom of the screen every time she has something to say.

This includes every single time you lock on to an enemy.

Why.

She also has a new thing to harass you with!

"Hey! I noticed you've been in this room for longer than a second maybe you should go talk to the sheikah stone"

mjc said:
So did anyone get the poster from GS? It seems like they weren't handing them out even though they said it was a reserve item.
I don't think anyone has, yet.

I think a poster mentioned earlier in the thread that the posters were shipped out late. We might get calls/emails later saying they came in, but most likely we'll never hear. Probably call your local store in a couple of days and ask about it, if you don't hear any updates elsewhere.

bummyhead

PumpkinPie said:
I can't believe the sheer amount of people who:

1) have never played the game.

2) are getting stuck, OoT is not a hard game, at all. I think it goes to show how much hand-holding games do nowadays.
Gameplay wise, Ocarina is not an overly difficult game, but it can be quite obtuse at times, and its totally understandable how a new player or someone who hasn't played it in a long time could get stuck and not know what to do, either between dunegons or in one.

zigg

shadyspace said:

Listen for the music.

I'm actually concerned about when I have to go through them again, since I can't visually distinguish between the right and wrong doors in this version like I could on the others.

kayos90

kunonabi said:
I don't mind being stuck in dungeons as long as it's due to well designed puzzles that require actual critical thinking, reasoning, an eye for details, etc.. The water temple was a chore because of how tedious it was to navigate for reasons not related to thought provoking puzzles of any sort and and some poor camera work.

Hell I'm the guy who made it all the way back down the Temple of Time in TP without even using the dominion rod. I enjoy inching my way though a dungeon for a considerable length of time as long as I'm actually thinking my way through it. OoT never once managed that for me.

I'm not sure why I'm letting myself get roped into this again. OoT fans are so overly defensive about the game that any having any criticism against it is a crime against humanity.

Moving on, are the MQ dungeons always mirrored or is it an option?
First of all, I'm not a OoT fan so don't put me in that group. Secondly, I'm talking about the level design of the game and giving specific points to why your point is partially invalid. The temple gives you a map early and gives insight into revealing which rooms you couldn't enter and enter at each point. If you fail to see that then you are the one who is being frustrated by the "complexity" of the temple. When the game first came out, I never saw a dungeon so cleverly crafted that it had an invisible helping hand of where you're supposed to go and how you were supposed to do it. Water Temple requires thinking and reasoning with the tools that were available to you. I defer back to the Snowpeak dungeon in TP. That had crappy room set up and I don't even know how it was passed as an actual dungeon design. (This is me being a bit more harsh than normal about this particular dungeon so take it with a grain of salt.) The Water Temple was easy enough navigate if you actually realized what you were supposed to in the room. You have a map, a compass, a hookshot, ironboots, etc etc. If you used everything at your arsenal to proceed in the dungeon then it was a perfectly well-crafted dungeon. If you fail to see that then I don't know how you're playing the game. I guess you want an visible helping hand instead of an invisible one.

Reknoc

zigg said:
Listen for the music.

I'm actually concerned about when I have to go through them again, since I can't visually distinguish between the right and wrong doors in this version like I could on the others.

Yep, can't use the hookshot either.

Probably haven't played through the game entirely in 10 years but I'm having a blast. Now that I'm 10 years older I find myself blazing through these dungeons. I remember spending days as a young teen goofing around these areas but today I just want to get through. How times have changed. Being one of my first true 3DS games though, the 3D is amazing. Really mindblowing. I play with it off most of the time though because I do get dizzy after a few minutes of it being on (even on the lowest settings).

Celine said:
I disagree TP has the best 3D dungeon of the series.
First and third dungeon in MM weren't that great IMO and the same apply for their boss.
Agreed. In terms of 3D zelda dungeons this is how I'd rank them

1. TP- Goron Mines, Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, Temple of Time, and City in the Sky were all amazing dungeons and almost all of the dungeons in the game seemed to very organic and blend really well with the environment. Each dungeon was pretty lengthy and involved their own plot/gimmick such as rescueing the monkeys, locating the goron elders, messing with the water levels, defeating the 4 Poes, collecting the soup ingredients, finding the stone statue at the bottom of the temple and leading it to the top to open the gate, restoring the two light orbs to open the gate, etc.
2. ST- Cleverly designed fun dungeons in particular the Sand dungeon and the Tower of Spirits.
3. MM- The second dungeon was a lot of fun and Stone Tower Temple is probably the best 3D Zelda dungeon
4. OoT- Well designed dungeons. For it's time they were amazing especially considering the leap from ALttP to OoT but compared to TP, ST and MM they are all fairly average Zelda dungeons.
5. WW- I liked the Tower of the Gods and the latter two dungeons. However, I think it was more because I was in love with the style and aesthetics as well as the music than the actual dungeon design.
6. PH- Nothing to write home about and most were fairly bit sized and easy. I remember the dungeon with the goron was fun to switch between and finding the last dungeon was fun.

zigg said:
Listen for the music.

Figured that one out when I was 8, thanks tho :lol. I was curious how it dawned on him what to do.

kayos90

bummyhead said:
Gameplay wise, Ocarina is not an overly difficult game, but it can be quite obtuse at times, and its totally understandable how a new player or someone who hasn't played it in a long time could get stuck and not know what to do, either between dunegons or in one.
I don't think people realize that this is one of the Zelda game where the dungeon doesn't focus entirely on the weapon that you receive in the game (excluding bosses). I think the way most players are approaching this is that they need to use the item that they got in the dungeon and only use that. There are other mechanics that players can use. I remember I was confounded when I can use the hookshot against the flame dancers.

zigg said:
You can. Or at least I can. Walk right up to that line where the wood turns to darkness - if it's a real path, you'll be able to see, and if not it'll stay black.

shadyspace said:

Also, Navi was awesome in 1998 and remains to be. Hate more haters.
Listen to the music. It will show you the way.

Edit: Very very late lol. Thought I had live thread running.

Just bought a 3DS and this game today...I told myself I wouldn't, I refused, but when I saw it on the shelf, I caved. Oh well, I loving it, I feel like i'm 9 again. So many memories!

Reknoc said:
She also has a new thing to harass you with!

"Hey! I noticed you've been in this room for longer than a second maybe you should go talk to the sheikah stone"
"Hey! I'm feeling tired. Are you? Why don't you take a break?"
-_-

Seda

Kuro Madoushi said:
None left in my area...gotta head downtown.

Smarmy EB employee, "you should've preordered"

asshole...

A Best Buy or a Target/WalMart should have plenty (I'd imagine).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Picked up during the day at Gamestop, just two thoughts so far:

1. It's so, so, so nice finally playing this game with a non-turgid framerate. Even back in the 90s, my first reaction to the game's horrible performance was "Nintendo, this isn't you. You let this happen to Zelda?"

2. The Face Raiders style gyroscope aiming for first person weapons is god level 3DS aiming mechanic confirmed. It's just so natural and easy as a way to precisely refine your aim. Yes, yes, the nature of the 3D screen messes with it just a tad, if 3D is on. But the inherent logic of the mechanic is perfect. I hope all 3DS games with similar aiming requirements use it as their defacto standard. Or always make it an option.

Really love what I'm playing - remembering bits & pieces from my childhood.

The 3d looks WONDERFUL, but for the first time ever, my eyes freaked the shit out after a one-hour session. I couldn't focus! The image separated and my eyes literally could not bring them together for the 3d, had to stop!

Very happy with this game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just finished the Bottom of the Well and...

Where the hell was the blood!? GONE, that's where! C'mon Nintendo!

Luigi87

I'm wondering how many old glitches may still be possible...

I wonder this as after I climbed the chain to the Hyrule Castle Town gate, and jumped off, I went through the ground just like in the old days.

Docpan said:
I'm almost tempted to say that this is worth buying a 3ds for. The game looks that fucking incredible to me. Faries and blades of grass fly out of the fucking screen. I said wow, no really. Also, I don't think it has been touched on much but the textures have been significantly improved.
Yes they certainly have been. The difference between this game and the N64 version are night and day.

BY2K said:
Just finished the Bottom of the Well and...

Where the hell was the blood!? GONE, that's where! C'mon Nintendo!

not even green blood?

then i should assume that at the end
Ganondolf will cough nothing lol, instead of blood

Quick question: does anyone else see a "double vision" or double image, kind of like a mirror effect when playing this in 3D? Especially when there's a dark background or when Hyrule is at night, I see a slight double vision of Navi and the lighting effects. I also see two Links when I go near a dark cave.

Just wondering if something is wrong with my 3DS or something else.

Could it be my eyes? :(

Tadale

This game happened to come out on moving day, so I just got my game and internet access tonight. Is anyone else having a hard time logging in to club nintendo?

B-Dex

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Quick question: does anyone else see a "double vision" or double image, kind of like a mirror effect when playing this in 3D? Especially when there's a dark background or when Hyrule is at night, I see a slight double vision of Navi and the lighting effects. I also see two Links when I go near a dark cave.

Noticed the same thing earlier. But again, I am super tired today so might just be m tired eyes.

Cathcart

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Yeah, I get that. Do you wear glasses? I do but I can't check if they're the cause of it because my vision is so bad that I can't see the screen at normal viewing distance with them off.

BY2K

Membero Americo
friskykillface said:
not even green blood?

then i should assume that at the end
Ganondolf will cough nothing lol, instead of blood

There was black spots, I guess, though I thought those were shadows.

Also, if you go to the Forest Meadow, place a bomb in the middle of the area with the wolf. An entrance will open underground. You enter a cavern with two wolves. I think this is the place we saw in the screenshots where Young Link looked like he was fighting two wolves in the Forest Temple. They changed the walls since and they are freaking BEAUTIFUL! It's really worth to check it out.

Luigi87 said:
I'm wondering how many old glitches may still be possible...

I wonder this as after I climbed the chain to the Hyrule Castle Town gate, and jumped off, I went through the ground just like in the old days.
First time I tried that I had Link crack his legs against the concrete so I was quite elated to discover it was still doable on my 2nd attempt

Top Bottom