• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Going to go by walmart after the doc visit this morning and pick it up. Played the shit out of it in 1998 and hardly remember anything except that it was amazing.

Bentendo said:
DAMN IT! Why do I have to return to my hut in the forest everytime I quit the game?

Save in dungeons.

Also, once you become an adult, that's no longer an issue.

Instead you start out in the Temple of Time

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bentendo said:
DAMN IT! Why do I have to return to my hut in the forest everytime I quit the game?

It's not that bad once you know there is a shortcut for pratically every important zones in the Lost Woods while you are a child. You got one for Death Mountain, one for Zora Domain, which also have a shortcut for Lake Hylia. Sure, nothing for Lon Lon Ranch or the main Hyrule town, but whatever.

rhino4evr said:
Definitely my biggest complaint about TP..I'm glad some one else agrees. What pisses me off most is some of the coolest hidden treasure cheats are nothing more then 500 Rupees. I think they should have removed Heart pieces in dungeons and better utilized the overworld secrets.

Once you have all this money there is literally nothing to even buy. Whats the point of having 10,000 ruppees if you have nothing to spend it on...even that one side quest that you needed money to build a bridge wasnt enough.

Like you said..hoping Skyward Sword fixes this with weapon/item upgrades..but how many upgrades could you possiblly get?
My first complain with Twilight and most of the Zelda games. What's really weird is that is puzzling how they could overlook this, its something easy to fix and Nintendo could've made amendments in later releases of the Twilight Princess. I mean they were rupee pick ups that were more interesting than to get than some heart containers. I agree, remove hear containers from dungeon and place them in the huge overworld.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I agree the save system is a pain in the ass considering this is a portable system. After you save, you should be able to restart at the last town/region you were in.

Futureman

You can also use the save point strategically.

Are you at Goron City and realize the chief is asking for something from the Lost Woods? Just save and quit, then load your save and you are instantly right at the Lost Woods.

Izayoi

Banned
Futureman said:
You can also use the save point strategically.

Are you at Goron City and realize the chief is asking for something from the Lost Woods? Just save and quit, then load your save and you are instantly right at the Lost Woods.
Yep. I abused the fuck out of the save system when I was a kid (in real life). Never turned off the N64 except after I had saved and wanted a quick teleport somewhere.

schennmu said:
Yes, this game is pretty good. Sold all my other 3ds games :lol
Whhhhyyyyyy would you do that?

Chopper

Holy crap,
Dark Link
is a ball ache. Anyone got any tips?! Every time I try to hit him, he
jumps on my sword a slaps me upside the head!

Cygnus X-1

Izayoi said:
Whhhhyyyyyy would you do that?

Because outside SFIV everything is a complete disappointment?

Seriously, Ocarina of Time sure is a fantastic game. And I'm enjoying it with full 3D effect. Screw the haters! 3D is the definitive way to play the game.

But after that Nintendo needs seriously to make some new IPs. I will never stop saying this!

Though I would buy Majora's Mask 3D

rhino4evr said:
Definitely my biggest complaint about TP..I'm glad some one else agrees. What pisses me off most is some of the coolest hidden treasure cheats are nothing more then 500 Rupees. I think they should have removed Heart pieces in dungeons and better utilized the overworld secrets.

Once you have all this money there is literally nothing to even buy. Whats the point of having 10,000 ruppees if you have nothing to spend it on...even that one side quest that you needed money to build a bridge wasnt enough.

Like you said..hoping Skyward Sword fixes this with weapon/item upgrades..but how many upgrades could you possiblly get?
What Nintendo needs to do is man-up and give *required* items as the end to long collection quests. Ones you *need* to beat the game. And sell required items for lots and lots of rupees too. Don't just put all the good stuff in dungeons. They've done it before - in Link's Awakening, the bow and arrow is sold in the store for like 20 rupees less than the max, it takes forever to save up for (and an optional item, the shovel, is sold first for what's a lot of money at the beginning of the game). And there's an ocarina song in the game that costs a large chunk of change to learn too. And also in Link's Awakening, there's a very long trading quest, where the last item at the end of the quest is needed for the last dungeon.

Nintendo needs to go back to having important items outside of dungeons, it gives great reasons to do the "side" quests and reasons to collect lots of money. And it feels really good to buy a really cool thing, especially if you do it earlier than you think the game expects you to.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chopper said:
Holy crap,
Dark Link

Spoiler for Sidequest:
Biggoron Sword
!

Otherwise just don't target him.

hamchan

Cygnus X-1 said:
Because outside SFIV everything is a complete disappointment?

Seriously, Ocarina of Time sure is a fantastic game. And I'm enjoying it with full 3D effect. Screw the haters! 3D is the definitive way to play the game.

But after that Nintendo needs seriously to make some new IPs. I will never stop saying this!

Though I would buy Majora's Mask 3D

Agreed.

I'm also disturbed that the 3DS release schedule is just OOT and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries this month, Devil Survivor enchanced port in August, and Star Fox port in September.

Izayoi

Banned
hamchan said:
I'm also disturbed that the 3DS release schedule is just OOT and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries this month, Devil Survivor enchanced port in August, and Star Fox port in September.
We're getting like four or five more Nintendo releases this year.

hamchan said:

That is disturbing.

zoukka

Regulus Tera said:
The people who actually suffer from video game addiction will ignore the message, while the rest of us only get annoyed by what amounts to our mom telling us we already had enough cookies.

The point is to prevent people from going from childhood to the first group you mentioned :)

padlock said:
Until a couple weeks ago, I had never played a Zelda game. I bought Link's Awekening when it became available on the eshop, and Ocarina of time yesterday.

At the risk of being flamed to death, at this point, I think I actually prefer Link's Awakening.
Welcome friend!

Futureman

Izayoi said:
That's not the point. You're not supposed to sell videogames, man. :(

Ha, why not? I sell pretty much everything I own to fund new purchases. Don't see the big deal, I'm not a collector and honestly, it annoys me to own stuff and for it to just sit there not being used.

Bisnic said:
Nintendo isn't the only one doing this.

Like Blizzard, I sometimes get one of their tips during a loading screen in WoW.

"Play with your friends in WoW, but don't forget to go outside with them!" or some similar crap.
I believe it's China that has a law requiring a message like that in MMO's. I know that's the reason given for Rift's message every time you start the game.

xXJonoXx

The promo to get the free Zelda OST CD with OoT.. is that still good through 11:59 tonight? I'm so confused what "through Midnight Monday" means..

If it's still good I'm gonna go buy a 3DS and Zelda right now.

xXJonoXx said:
The promo to get the free Zelda OST CD with OoT.. is that still good through 11:59 tonight? I'm so confused what "through Midnight Monday" means..

If it's still good I'm gonna go buy a 3DS and Zelda right now.
Deadline is Midnight PST tonight.

This game is so damn charming. I love the posters and paintings around towns; they add so much personality to the game. I also like the direction they took with the graphics. This game was worth the wait.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
hamchan said:
Agreed.

Ghost Recon is fantastic so far (story is average but gameplay is great).

As for Oot, I got about 2.5 hours in on my initial first-ever OoT playthrough. Loving the game so far, right now I am attempting to get rid of the boulders blocking the patch to the volcano town, I just met the princess.

Bentendo

Does anyone else have a hard time with the circle pad? Almost like it's a bit too hard to push? It didn't bother me too much with Pilotwings but it's posing a problem with OoT.

Inferno313 said:
I registered the game and filled out the survey. But Have gotten no confirmation about the CD... Am I good? or should I email someone?

If you don't contact Nintendo you won't get the CD.

Bentendo said:
Does anyone else have a hard time with the circle pad? Almost like it's a bit too hard to push? It didn't bother me too much with Pilotwings but it's posing a problem with OoT.

Who should I e-mail/call?

Bentendo said:

Nah, but I do have a problem with my thumb constantly slipping off while I'm pushing the pad forward. It's weird because I don't remember it doing that when I played Rayman. It's almost like my thumb is sweaty while I play Zelda.

stalker

I agree that starting always at young Link's house is a bit old-fashioned and not adequate for portable, but back then in 2000 when I played OOT for the first time I felt great crossing Hyrule on foot to go to the Market or the ranch every single time. I know that there is little to do in Hyrule field in OOT but for some reason that extension of grass and that path from the forest to the market is something really special. It's not nostalgia only, even recently whenever I've replayed the first hours of OOT on the Gamecube or P64 I still get the same feeling.

Anasui Kishibe said:
I just realized I'd really want a Zelda RPG, turn based, sidequests, all that jazz, in OOTRemake world. Not sure why.
But it's already an RPG.
/trollface.jpg

stalker said:
I agree that starting always at young Link's house is a bit old-fashioned and not adequate for portable, but back then in 2000 when I played OOT for the first time I felt great crossing Hyrule on foot to go to the Market or the ranch every single time. I know that there is little to do in Hyrule field in OOT but for some reason that extension of grass and that path from the forest to the market is something really special. It's not nostalgia only, even recently whenever I've replayed the first hours of OOT on the Gamecube or P64 I still get the same feeling.
Yep. It makes the world feel bigger. Forces you to beat those feet. Not just go from point to point progressively.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Chopper said:
Holy crap,
Dark Link
If I remember correctly,
I was able to beat Dark Link easily with the hammer.

Bentendo

Inferno313 said:
Who should I e-mail/call?

Probably be best if you actually CALLED Nintendo's customer service line, since the deal ends tonight at midnight, just to be safe.

1-800-255-3700

Call that number and they'll sort everything out.

Bentendo

StickSoldier said:
Nah, but I do have a problem with my thumb constantly slipping off while I'm pushing the pad forward. It's weird because I don't remember it doing that when I played Rayman. It's almost like my thumb is sweaty while I play Zelda.

I'm having that same problem. It's nerveracking because it gradually starts slipping upwards until it's off completely.

Izayoi

Banned
Futureman said:
Ha, why not? I sell pretty much everything I own to fund new purchases. Don't see the big deal, I'm not a collector and honestly, it annoys me to own stuff and for it to just sit there not being used.
That's where we differ, then. I'm a huge collector and I would never think to sell any of my games or consoles (even the bad ones).

hamchan said:
I have no idea why Nintendo aren't putting dates on them.
I'm willing to bet that November is going to be a big month for Nintendo releases. Though they may want to reserve that for Skyward Sword and push other releases back a little.

Gravijah said:
Oh God, OoT3DS already low on stock before mine even shipped. Time to pray.
This is divine retribution for not liking Zelda, I hope you know.

Chopper

Kjellson said:
Don't L-target him.
Ha ha. That was stupidly easy, thanks!

Now that I am adult Link, and have claimed Epona, do I have the capacity to complete the majority of the sidequests, before carrying on with my adventure? I quite fancy that
Big Goron Sword

hamchan

Hmm yeah I also get the sweaty thumb problem but when I look neither my thumb or the pad is sweaty at all! It just feels sweaty and I go wtf.

Top Bottom