• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Mistle

Kirby102 said:
Sigh. Still waiting another 10 days before Australia gets their hands on. FFFFFUUU-
10 more long, OoT-less days...

I assume we aren't getting any sort of soundtrack offer? I can't get into my http://club.nintendo.com.au/ account to check it out, still seems to be down.

EDIT: Well what do you know, it just worked for the first time in ages...

Chopper

protonion said:
Dammit. I didn't even think that was possible. I should definitely have played around a bit more.

I am totally in love with this remake, with one tiny reservation. Spoiler:
Sheik looks far too feminine. Spoils the surprise!

dwu8991

Banned
In retrospect, Ocarina does blow all the other PS and saturn games at that time. Only goldeneye still holds a candle to ocarina in terms of gameplay now.

Holmes said:
edit: It's in the dead end of Lost Woods, near the Sacred Meadow. You fall in the hole there, wear a mask, and the deku scrubs there react to the mask. For the Mask of Truth, you get a Deku Nut upgrade, but in the N64 version, if you become Adult Link before getting it, you've missed it.
I think that it depends
on the order of the masks you show them: if you wear the Skull Mask first, the Mask of Truth will not impress them anymore because it isn't nearly as ugly. If you go to them with the Mask of Truth first, then with the Skull Mask, you shouldn't have any problems getting the two upgrades even if you've already drawn the Master Sword from the pedestal.

Kirby102

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
dwu8991 said:
In retrospect, Ocarina does blow all the other PS and saturn games at that time. Only goldeneye still holds a candle to ocarina in terms of gameplay now.
Idiot

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I only remember key moments. When I played through the game the first time I rushed through it so all the adult temples are a blur. Completed the Forest Temple and found myself running around in circles quite a bit looking for keys.

The well was much larger than I remembered it so for me a lot of it feels new, even if I know the story already.

I think the only mechanic in this game that I dont think I can warm up to is the heart containers. The game makes me realize how much I miss auto health regeneration in most games of late. How'd you all manage to warm up to this game mechanic back in the day? I assume modern Zeldas have auto health regeneration?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dedication Through Light said:
I think the only mechanic in this game that I dont think I can warm up to is the heart containers. The game makes me realize how much I miss auto health regeneration in most games of late. How'd you all manage to warm up to this game mechanic back in the day? I assume modern Zeldas have auto health regeneration?

Notsureifserious.jpg

Is this your 1st Zelda or something?

LOL

We didn't have to "warm up to" no auto health regen, it was simply the way it was.

GJS

No, heart containers are a staple of Zelda games there is no health regeneration in the modern games.

I can't tell whether any of your posts are serious or not, sorry.

WillyFive

Why would we want auto health regeneration?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*knocks over magazine stand*

-PXG-

Regenerating health is for pussies.

larryfaint.gif

Chairhome

Just fired it up last night to start a game (holding off on a playthrough till I beat KH: BBS), and it looks beautiful. One thing that I should have known but didn't read up on: Master Quest is only available after finishing the game? I thought it was selectable from the start. I was planning on doing that since I've beaten the regular quest before... sigh. Oh well, not like its going to be a chore to go through this game again!

oh god no cant see Link hiding away for 2 mins fighting a boss geez

Really enjoying the game so far, though just like when I first played it I goof around a lot. It amazes me how much I still want to run around the field just to (re)see everything.

Also I got a reply from Nintendo they took care of my CD order for me and I got my confirmation email!

Side note they are only offering the CD to those who register their copy by midnight today (6/20) for those in NA Guess demand was a lot higher then they expected.

jambo

1NJOF.jpg

Mantorok

Oh dear...

No-one should ever get used to auto-regen, what possible good does it do? You'll be wanting navi to fight the bosses for you next.

Willy105 said:
Why would we want auto health regeneration?

I fear that that is where the difficulty I feel in the game comes from, for bosses and some enemies. It just changes the entire way I play the game, having to resort to either stunning enemies from afar, or shielding, instead of just running up to each one slashing the sword. I think people mentioned fairies in bottles but since getting to Death Mountain Ive encountered neither an additional fairy and nary a bottle. Its an experience. Oh well, I love the boss designs, and cant wait to resume the game today to get the final Spiritual Stone later this afternoon. I think this was a great point to enter the Zelda franchise for the first time.

Neiteio

EatChildren said:
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*knocks over magazine stand*
Yeah pretty much.

EDIT: Why would someone want auto health generation? When you're hurting for hearts and you smash those rocks near Dodongo's Cavern and get some, it feelsgoodmang. When you slay a boss and pick up the container, it feelsgoodmang. When you throw a bomb in the
spinning pot in Goron City
and get another piece to complete a container, it feelsgoodmang.

*feelsgoodmangfrog.gif*

I fear that that is where the difficulty I feel in the game comes from, for bosses and some enemies. It just changes the entire way I play the game, having to resort to either stunning enemies from afar, or shielding, instead of just running up to each one slashing the sword.

Are you saying you don't want difficulty?

GJS

I fear that that is where the difficulty I feel in the game comes from, for bosses and some enemies. It just changes the entire way I play the game, having to resort to either stunning enemies from afar, or shielding, instead of just running up to each one slashing the sword. I think people mentioned fairies in bottles but since getting to Death Mountain Ive encountered neither an additional fairy and nary a bottle. Its an experience. Oh well, I love the boss designs, and cant wait to resume the game today to get the final Spiritual Stone later this afternoon. I think this was a great point to enter the Zelda franchise for the first time.
Don't just run up to things, target them, strafe around them or jump around them and go in and out for attacks depending on the monster.

You can get fairies all over the place, especially by playing Zelda's Lullaby in front of Gossip Stones and the bottles are earned from side quests.

WillyFive

I fear that that is where the difficulty I feel in the game comes from, for bosses and some enemies.

The difficulty of Zelda games comes from the dungeons themselves, not really the combat (although they do offer challenge as well).

It just changes the entire way I play the game, having to resort to either stunning enemies from afar, or shielding, instead of just running up to each one slashing the sword.

Yes, that is how combat in the Zelda games work, you can't just hack and slash.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the game!

Reknoc

Are you talking to NPCs? Are you breaking pots?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I feel old now, Auto health Regen...I can under stand it in FPS games but old school games no way, it has no place here..not unless you can turn it into a mechanic..give the Idea to treasure I am sure they will find a great hook for such a thing..

notsol337

marked forever
God fucking dammit, when it comes to Zelda preorders I just can't win.

I didn't get OoT/Master Quest when I preordered Wind Waker, I didn't get the poster from Gamestop, and I didn't get a soundtrack pop-up!

Oh well, I have Master Quest now!

p.s. Every copy of Majora's Mask I've ever played has frozen on the first miniboss, so I haven't gotten to play that either. Zelda gods hate me.

JBuccCP

It just changes the entire way I play the game, having to resort to either stunning enemies from afar, or shielding, instead of just running up to each one slashing the sword.
What am I reading. I...........I don't understand.

Celine

le fuck.

Reknoc said:
Are you talking to NPCs? Are you breaking pots?

Hearts coming from breakables seems so random. I get way more rupees than I do health pieces, which is why I end up going through dungeons never completely full on health, even worst it seems its maxed out at 99?! Ill say one thing, it works at keeping me on my toes and making each enemy encounter suspenseful, and oddly kind of fulfilling to defeat them.

Hearts coming from breakables seems so random. I get way more rupees than I do health pieces, which is why I end up going through dungeons never completely full on health, even worst it seems its maxed out at 99?! Ill say one thing, it works at keeping me on my toes and making each enemy encounter suspenseful, and oddly kind of fulfilling to defeat them.

You can get larger wallets which allows for more rupees. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Economy in Zelda sucks ass anyway.

On a slight tangent, having to collect materials to upgrade weapons in Skyward Sword could solve my biggest problem with Twilight Princess; useless rewards for side quests.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is my first time playing Ocarina of Time (aside from a few attempts at playing the original, which all ended briefly since I couldn't handle the poor framerate). Loving it. I'm glad I gave up on Twilight Princess and saved myself for this game. Much, much better game. The pacing puts Twilight Princess to shame.

EatChildren said:
Economy in Zelda sucks ass anyway.

On a slight tangent, having to collect materials to upgrade weapons in Skyward Sword could solve my biggest problem with Twilight Princess; useless rewards for side quests.

To be fair, if TP was actually in some way challenging, those rewards (more specifically heart pieces) would mean a lot more. Most older Zelda games were a lot more challenging and thus these rewards actually meant something, and it's not as if these games gave you much more in reward for exploration (outside of a couple of nifty, optional items).

WW suffered from the same problem. Ironically, the triforce hunt almost seemed as if it were designed not only to make the game longer, but also give some use to the fuckton of rupees you get in that game. Pretty cheap stuff, and odd that you single out TP even though WW was even easier and thus the rewards for side-quests were even more useless.

It also doesn't help that modern Zelda games give you bombs, arrows, etc in the grass whenever you need them. Removes the whole point of buying them - thus, rupees become even more useless.

Chao

8EMYm.gif

Did you just start gaming in the last couple years or so?

EatChildren

_Alkaline_ said:
To be fair, if TP was actually in some way challenging, those rewards (more specifically heart pieces) would mean a lot more. Most older Zelda games were a lot more challenging and thus these rewards actually meant something, and it's not as if these games gave you much more in reward for exploration (outside of a couple of nifty, optional items).

WW suffered from the same problem. Ironically, the triforce hunt almost seemed as if it were designed not only to make the game longer, but also give some use to the fuckton of rupees you get in that game. Pretty cheap stuff, and odd that you single out TP even though WW was even easier and thus the rewards for side-quests were even more useless.

It also doesn't help that modern Zelda games give you bombs, arrows, etc in the grass whenever you need them. Removes the whole point of buying them - thus, rupees become even more useless.

All true, but I thought TP was a particularly bad culprit, mostly for the sidequests/minigames that had double rewards. Oftentimes you'd recieve an adequate reward for completing some of the challenge, eg: bomb bag or wallet size increase, but the last reward for completing the entire challenge was worse, like a ton of rupees or some such useless shit. That po hunt comes to mind.

Hopefully having useful items to collect in SS that are used to upgrade equipment will give incentive to seek out and finish sidequests, as well as explore the land.

Chopper

Right. So I just beat the
Fire Temple
, and Kakariko village has not stopped flashing on my map and I have no idea why. Anyone? I couldn't work it out, so carried on to
Zora's Domain.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Now you're getting it.
How boring would this be if all you had to do is hide for a moment to fill up health? There'd be no challenge in this game. No wondering if "you can make it".

Thankfully not every game this gen has gone the auto-regen health route.

EatChildren said:
All true, but I thought TP was a particularly bad culprit, mostly for the sidequests/minigames that had double rewards. Oftentimes you'd recieve an adequate reward for completing some of the challenge, eg: bomb bag or wallet size increase, but the last reward for completing the entire challenge was worse, like a ton of rupees or some such useless shit. That po hunt comes to mind.

Hopefully having useful items to collect in SS that are used to upgrade equipment will give incentive to seek out and finish sidequests, as well as explore the land.

Honestly I think it's just an issue for any modern Zelda. They're just too easy.

They're still incredibly playable because they're smooth as silk and the dungeon design has never been better, but they're starting to get the little basics wrong.

Acquring heart pieces in ALTTP, for instance, was immensely satisfying because that game was quite difficult. There was real incentive for going out of your way for them. Same for getting rupees - they didn't hand out nearly as many things to the player, so you actually had to keep buying certain items. Which is how it should be - it teaches you to conserve your items and become a smarter player. These days you just have to chop up the closest piece of grass if you want a refill. And don't get me started on potions.

In modern Zelda games, you almost don't want to pick up heart pieces, because the games are so easy and forgiving that you're rarely in need of them - indeed, they tend to actually hurt the experience, because they make boss fights far too easy and remove any need to be cautious. It's no coincidence that the toughest parts of TP are the first few hours, simply because you're on a mere few hearts. If you're not careful, you can actually die to the Shadow Beasts, and lava in the Goron Mines can wipe half your health away. The problem is that the game doesn't keep ramping up the difficulty, even for its later bosses. It's a real shame, and WW was even worse.

The recent videos of bosses removing full - even multiple - hearts at a time is very pleasing. The important thing is that they keep making them harder and harder as your progress - it'll automatically make side-quests that much more rewarding.

Chopper

Neiteio said:
When you throw a bomb in the
spinning pot in Goron City
and get another piece to complete a container, it feelsgoodmang.
I swear I did this a couple of times, and all I got was more bombs?

Top Bottom