• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ease is part of the problem, but the rewards are still shitful. Higher difficulty wont fix a broken economy, which in turn wont fix MAXIMUM RUPEES rewards for long, tedious sidequests.\

If I spend forever crawling the overworld in a shitty collect-a-thon I at least expect some kind of useful reward once its finished. Something to make my adventuring a little easier, or a new toy to play with. Rupees you cant/wont use is like a big "fuck you".

Faddy

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
there has to be a place to find old OoT glitches and tricks

maybe youtube?

check out www.zeldaspeedruns.com

Most of the useful tricks are detailed there.

The Youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=zsrvideos

If you are interested in glitches then you can either ask on the YT video or go to the forums on the website and ask in the appropriate thread. Most 3DS glitches are only documented in the 3DS Ocarina board. The website might not look that busy but only because most discussion is on IRC.

Kjellson said:
Is this really true?

Yes. The 3D depth adjustment is strictly done on a software level, by adjusting the distance between the two in-game cameras. As far as the hardware is concerned, the only 3D settings are "on" and "off."

TEJ

Guys, Dedication Through Light is just trolling us. Right? Right?!?

BTW, DTL, if you are being serious please be sure to never play any of the snes/nes zeldas, or demons souls.

notsol337 said:
God fucking dammit, when it comes to Zelda preorders I just can't win.

I didn't get OoT/Master Quest when I preordered Wind Waker, I didn't get the poster from Gamestop, and I didn't get a soundtrack pop-up!

Oh well, I have Master Quest now!

p.s. Every copy of Majora's Mask I've ever played has frozen on the first miniboss, so I haven't gotten to play that either. Zelda gods hate me.

If you did not get the pop up just call Nintendo support (the number is listed a few pages back) they took care of it for me, you only have until today at midnight.

EatChildren said:
Ease is part of the problem, but the rewards are still shitful. Higher difficulty wont fix a broken economy, which in turn wont fix MAXIMUM RUPEES rewards for long, tedious sidequests.\

If I spend forever crawling the overworld in a shitty collect-a-thon I at least expect some kind of useful reward once its finished. Something to make my adventuring a little easier, or a new toy to play with. Rupees you cant/wont use is like a big "fuck you".

Get rid of arrows/bombs/etc in the grass and that would go a long way to giving more use to rupees. If you play the original Zelda, every single rupee matters because you don't find bombs (you can only buy them) and you have to use them quite a lot as well.

And of course being able to buy more optional equipment (ie the Boomerang in many older Zelda games) would help a lot.

[Nintex]

_Alkaline_ said:
Get rid of arrows/bombs/etc in the grass and that would go a long way to giving more use to rupees. If you play the original Zelda, every single rupee matters because you don't find bombs (you can only buy them) and you have to use them quite a lot as well.

And of course being able to buy more optional equipment (ie the Boomerang in many older Zelda games) would help a lot.
I climbed up to death mountain yesterday and needed a single bomb I didn't have... so I had to go all the way back to find some bombs. My 'hardcore' self was like: "Yes, blood, sweat, effort, tears, this is what gaming should be about!" while my not so hardcore self was like "Fuck this shit" and turned the 3DS off when I discovered the empty bomb bag.

[Nintex] said:
I climbed up to death mountain yesterday and needed a single bomb I didn't have... so I had to go all the way back to find some bombs. My 'hardcore' self was like: "Yes, blood, sweat, effort, tears, this is what gaming should be about!" while my not so hardcore self was like "Fuck this shit" and turned the 3DS off when I discovered the empty bomb bag.

I thought OoT has been pretty generous on giving items. Ive never actually ran out of anything that couldnt immediately be found, or at least, I slash everything in an area to replenish the nuts and sticks...unless enemies dont drop bombs?

I'm glad that still works, doing a sidestep from the top of the cliff to get the heart piece reminded me when I did it as a kid lol.

No need to plant a seed there now :p

phalestine

aka iby.h
Half way through the fire temple and all I can think of is, I don't want this game to end. I love the background effects when you play a song, so beautiful.

Myriadis

_Alkaline_ said:
Wrong.Blue moblins,octoroks,darknuts and Dodongos (if you stun them by blowing up a bomb right in front of them) give you Bombs.The only game where you can't find bombs from enemies or grass is Twilight Princess,afair.

Is it possible to play up to the desert temple without getting a hylian shield ?
I played through the whole game without a hylian shield once.

Myriadis said:
Wrong.Blue moblins,octoroks,darknuts and Dodongos (if you stun them by blowing up a bomb right in front of them) give you Bombs.The only game where you can't find bombs from enemies or grass is Twilight Princess,afair.

Interesting. Guess my memory was slightly hazy. Cheers.

Alrus

Done with the Spirit Temple, I can't believe I'm almost done with the game :( (well I still need 30 skulltula, a few heart piece and the big poe quest but I don't feel like combing the land to find them...).

Myriadis said:
I played through the whole game without a hylian shield once.
Great . It's going to be tough to beat the game that way , I guess , since I reached the adult part and decided to keep my heart containers number at 3 ...

So... I told you guys in a previous comment that I wasn't enjoying the game as much as I wanted because I remembered the game almost perfectly, even thought the last time I played the game was in 1999.

Well... I changed one setting and now the game feels like a different experience. I changed the language to Spanish (my native language) and the translation is extremely well done.

Actually, I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. Nintendo is the king when it comes to Spanish translations.

Kjellson

I just finished
Shadow Temple
. Two random things I noticed that aren't really spoilers but I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case:

You know that you can do Shadow and Spirit Temple in any order you want? If I recall correctly, the order of the songs and the medallions in the pause menu is Shadow and then Spirit, but for some reason Shadow Temple is now the last dungeon. Which is weird because I think you need the Hoover Boots in Spirit Temple in Master Quest.

For some reason they changed the design of the ship in Shadow Temple from the bird thing to a skeleton guy, but luckily it looks way cooler now. It's just a strange and random change.

jump_button said:
yeah best way to save power 2D, no wireless and low light setting
Father_Brain said:
Yes. The 3D depth adjustment is strictly done on a software level, by adjusting the distance between the two in-game cameras. As far as the hardware is concerned, the only 3D settings are "on" and "off."
Awesome! Thanks.

neoism said:
awesome just got my club Nintendo Dsi case, that barely fits the 3DS.. :D
Also I forgot what to do in Goron City :(

First of all, you need to lean Saria's Song. Then you need to play the song to the Goron City king.

[Nintex]

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought OoT has been pretty generous on giving items. Ive never actually ran out of anything that couldnt immediately be found, or at least, I slash everything in an area to replenish the nuts and sticks...unless enemies dont drop bombs?
The problem is that in that spot there's only like one small rock which happens to give a single rupee and nothing else.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Kjellson said:
I just finished
Shadow Temple
. Two random things I noticed that aren't really spoilers but I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case:

You know that you can do Shadow and Spirit Temple in any order you want? If I recall correctly, the order of the songs and the medallions in the pause menu is Shadow and then Spirit, but for some reason Shadow Temple is now the last dungeon. Which is weird because I think you need the Hoover Boots in Spirit Temple in Master Quest.

For some reason they changed the design of the ship in Shadow Temple from the bird thing to a skeleton guy, but luckily it looks way cooler now. It's just a strange and random change.

Awesome! Thanks.
No, the order o fthe medallions and songs was always spirit then shadow, although the game (read: navi and her nagging) pushed you to do the shadow temple first.

You can also do the fire temple before the forest temple.

As you mentioned, though, in Master Quest, the order of the dungeons is not flexible. You must do Forest-Fire-Water-Shadow-Spirit.

In the normal game, it can go:
Forest-Fire-Water-Shadow-Spirit (the "normal" playthrough)
Fire-Forest-Water-Shadow-Spirit
Forest-Fire-Water-Spirit-Shadow (based on the ordering of the songs and medallions, I would guess this was the order until pretty late in the dev process. The change of navi's advice to do shadow first was made pretty late, or perhaps they just overlooked it.)
Fire-Forest-Water-Spirit-Shadow

Arren

GaimeGuy said:
In the normal game, it can go:
Forest-Fire-Water-Shadow-Spirit (the "normal" playthrough)
Fire-Forest-Water-Shadow-Spirit
Forest-Fire-Water-Spirit-Shadow (based on the ordering of the songs and medallions, I would guess this was the order until pretty late in the dev process. The change of navi's advice to do shadow first was made pretty late, or perhaps they just overlooked it.)
Fire-Forest-Water-Spirit-Shadow
As far as I remember, you can also do the Water Temple before Fire but after Forest, since the Megaton Hammer is not required there (but on the contrary you need the Bow).

rhino4evr

I think the only mechanic in this game that I dont think I can warm up to is the heart containers. The game makes me realize how much I miss auto health regeneration in most games of late. How'd you all manage to warm up to this game mechanic back in the day? I assume modern Zeldas have auto health regeneration?
This post really makes me fear for the future

Jaded Alyx said:
It makes me fear for the present.

Yeah, I was about to say. We've already hit that point, and not even that recently. I guess some newcomers may get tired of playing the Ocarina because it's not like Rock Band.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
brandonh83 said:
Yeah, I was about to say. We've already hit that point, and not even that recently. I guess some newcomers may get tired of playing the Ocarina because it's not like Rock Band.

DTL has been a weird case for a long time anyway. I never know if his posts are serious or trolling and i see he is no different for this thread.

rhino4evr

EatChildren said:

Definitely my biggest complaint about TP..I'm glad some one else agrees. What pisses me off most is some of the coolest hidden treasure cheats are nothing more then 500 Rupees. I think they should have removed Heart pieces in dungeons and better utilized the overworld secrets.

Once you have all this money there is literally nothing to even buy. Whats the point of having 10,000 ruppees if you have nothing to spend it on...even that one side quest that you needed money to build a bridge wasnt enough.

Like you said..hoping Skyward Sword fixes this with weapon/item upgrades..but how many upgrades could you possiblly get?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It is very weird to see an Ocarina thread with spoiler tags.

I'm envious of the people who are enjoying it for the first time.

I think the only mechanic in this game that I dont think I can warm up to is the heart containers. The game makes me realize how much I miss auto health regeneration in most games of late. How'd you all manage to warm up to this game mechanic back in the day? I assume modern Zeldas have auto health regeneration?

This is one of the reasons I hate FPSes. Kids these days, seriously...

Deku

Banned
EatChildren said:

Zelda's economy is always borked because there's not enough to spend rupees on and the game prints rupees like a left wing government on crack. I was able to max out my rupees in my first hour of play in OOT without even really trying.

Part of me wants them to remove rupees as a currency altogether. It's not what Zelda is, and reforming it by adding expensive items will just add to pointless grind without really solving the issue.

[Nintex]

Deku said:
Zelda's economy is always borked because there's not enough to spend rupees on and the game prints rupees like a left wing government on crack. I was able to max out my rupees in my first hour of play in OOT without even really trying.

Part of me wants them to remove rupees as a currency altogether. It's not what Zelda is, and reforming it by adding expensive items will just add to pointless grind without really solving the issue.
I believe the games take place in Greece.

marjo

Dark Schala said:
I'm loving the first timers' impressions. I'm almost envious. :D

I hope you guys enjoy the game like a lot of us did. I'm interested to see if the "wow" factor will still hold with this game, given that there are a lot of other 3D Zelda games now.

Until a couple weeks ago, I had never played a Zelda game. I bought Link's Awekening when it became available on the eshop, and Ocarina of time yesterday.

At the risk of being flamed to death, at this point, I think I actually prefer Link's Awakening. Perhaps it's just because my expectations were so much higher for Ocarina of Time, but I was blown away buy how great Link's Awakening is, and haven't quite got the same sense of amazement with Ocarina of Time. I've only spent a couple of hours with it, so perhaps I just need to give it more time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
robotrock said:
navi is my new mother
untitled5q6j.jpg
This "Nintendo doesn't want you to play games too much" schtick irks me.

padlock said:
Until a couple weeks ago, I had never played a Zelda game. I bought Link's Awekening when it became available on the eshop, and Ocarina of time yesterday.

At the risk of being flamed to death, at this point, I think I actually prefer Link's Awakening. Perhaps it's just because my expectations were so much higher for Ocarina of Time, but I was blown away buy how great Link's Awakening is, and haven't quite got the same sense of amazement with Ocarina of Time. I've only spent a couple of hours with it, so perhaps I just need to give it more time.
they are both two my of favorites, both representing a pinnacle of game design both 2d and 3d

Cathcart

padlock said:
At the risk of being flamed to death, at this point, I think I actually prefer Link's Awakening.
No risk there, plenty of people agree with you. I'm not one of them, but it's certainly not uncommon.

padlock said:

Top down Zelda's and 3D Zelda's are both good in they own right, hope with new Zelda 3DS they try a mix of the two

padlock said:

You need to play A Link to the Past. Greatest game ever.

Alrus

Deku said:

Just make bomb, arrows and stuff like that either only acquirable via chest/shops or much harder to come buy. That would make the random Deku shops in dungeon less pointless.

Also fairies render potions completely useless, so maybe make them non-bottle-able(?), so potions would have more use.

Deku

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I believe the games take place in Greece.

Unemployed youth smashing pots and stealing money. Ineffectual central government under the sway of a German overlord. sounds about right.

robot

Seeing the word NAVI blinking over and over when locked on to an enemy gets a little annoying. I don't remember that from the original, am I just playing like a spaz or is that normal?

[Nintex]

Regulus Tera said:
*HEY LISTEN*
*HEY*
*HELLO*
*Taps screen*
"Stop playing our games, otherwise we might have to release more than 2 good titles every year!"

Regulus Tera said:
WTH is that crap? Navi now tells us to stop playing? Nintendo really should have included a 'disable Navi' option.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Regulus Tera said:

I disagree. Video game addiction is a pretty big problem, and Nintendo is probably the only company to discourage extended playing time (recording your results only once a day in Brain Age for example).

xXJonoXx

If I owned a 3DS launch day with SSFIV only but returned the system because there wasn't much to do with it.. would buying one now with Zelda, eShop, Resident Evil: Mercs be a good idea?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Nintendo isn't the only one doing this.

Like Blizzard, I sometimes get one of their tips during a loading screen in WoW.

"Play with your friends in WoW, but don't forget to go outside with them!" or some similar crap.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
richiek said:
I disagree. Video game addiction is a pretty big problem, and Nintendo is probably the only company to discourage extended playing time (recording your results only once a day in Brain Age for example).

The people who actually suffer from video game addiction will ignore the message, while the rest of us only get annoyed by what amounts to our mom telling us we already had enough cookies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Regulus Tera said:
The people who actually suffer from video game addiction will ignore the message, while the rest of us only get annoyed by what amounts to our mom telling us we already had enough cookies.

I'm guessing this is part of Nintendo's overly cautious "3D might ruin kids eyes" thing going on as well.

I just ignore it.

Top Bottom