• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm enjoying this so far, but after just replaying A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, I'm reminded why I prefer my Zelda in 2D.

First and foremost, I cannot stand the battle music. It absolutely ruins any atmosphere they may have been aiming for in the dungeons. It's something about modern Zelda games that I'm growing sick of. To be honest, I'm not really enjoying the music much at all. I had forgotten about that, but despite the praise it always seems to receive, I just don't think it has a particularly good soundtrack.

Secondly, while I appreciate what they were doing with the Hyrule Field back in 98, I don't really think it's anywhere near as interesting as the overworld in the above 2D Zelda titles. It's just empty terrain with a few hotspots almost like some sort of world map in an old Final Fantasy game rather than the detail rich environment present in 2D Zelda.

Still, despite that, it's a very good game. I keep finding myself flicking between 2D and 3D, though. My eyes just don't feel comfortable looking at the screen in 3D for long periods of time plus the 2D mode improves the image quality greatly.

2D Zelda always feels completely inferior to 3D Zelda to me. I've never found the combat in 2D Zelda all that satisfying. OoT is hardly a masterpiece of combat but it's just so much more fun fighting a 3D boss than any boss in the 2D games.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So is the Cucco you use to
wake up talon
supposed to disappear from my inventory? I can't remember if that's normal or not. I just know its part of the trade sequence.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
TheBanditKing said:
Really enjoying the game so far, though just like when I first played it I goof around a lot. It amazes me how much I still want to run around the field just to (re)see everything.

Also I got a reply from Nintendo they took care of my CD order for me and I got my confirmation email!

Side note they are only offering the CD to those who register their copy by midnight today (6/20) for those in NA Guess demand was a lot higher then they expected.
Gahh! That sucks... my amazon copy comes in tomorrow. :'(

SmithnCo

Divvy said:
wake up talon
supposed to disappear from my inventory? I can't remember if that's normal or not. I just know its part of the trade sequence.

Yeah, I think
Zelda's Letter
replaces it in a little bit. Or actually, you might have to just go to the cucco lady to continue the sequence.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Man, I've been stuck in the Forest Temple all morning. Just when I think I have everything figured out, BAM! I need another damned key.
Did you check the entrance area (with the wolves) for a key? 13 years later and I still remember getting stuck for the longest time there.

Milpool

Insaniac said:
I've played for at least 2 or 3 hours straight till my battery drained and I never got any message from navi to take a break

I only got the message after 3 and a half hours, annoyingly just as my girlfriend was watching whilst mentioning that I'm addicted.

On a side note my battery was still showing 3 bars, playing in 2d mode with brightness level 4 and power-save off.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Divvy said:
wake up talon
You get another Cuccoo later for the trade sequence. Don't worry about it right now.

Bentendo

Divvy said:
wake up talon

It's not normal. You won't be able to complete the game now...

Nah, it's normal. ;)

Cheska

dark10x said:
I keep finding myself flicking between 2D and 3D, though. My eyes just don't feel comfortable looking at the screen in 3D for long periods of time plus the 2D mode improves the image quality greatly.

I've been doing the same thing. In 3D mode, any movement whatsoever to the system completely messes up the image, and it takes a while for my eyes to adjust to it every time it goes back to normal. I move around a lot while I play, so for the most part I've been playing with the 3D off.

butter_stick said:
2D Zelda always feels completely inferior to 3D Zelda to me. I've never found the combat in 2D Zelda all that satisfying. OoT is hardly a masterpiece of combat but it's just so much more fun fighting a 3D boss than any boss in the 2D games.

Combat in 2D Zelda games are just so damn boring to me.

Chopper

Now that I am adult Link, and have claimed Epona, do I have the capacity to complete the majority of the sidequests, before carrying on with my adventure? I quite fancy that
Big Goron Sword
Quoted for the new page. Anyone? I'm not sure I remember this game as well as I thought...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oracle of seasons has better fights than every other game in the series barring AoL because the enemies are for once not pushovers.

Bentendo said:
Probably be best if you actually CALLED Nintendo's customer service line, since the deal ends tonight at midnight, just to be safe.

1-800-255-3700

Call that number and they'll sort everything out.

Just called and they placed an order for me. Agent said it'll be shipped around July 5th (Canada).

For those who are waiting their copy by mail, just go into a store today and buy it, register, and return the sealed copy once you receive it!

SmithnCo

Chopper said:
Quoted for the new page. Anyone? I'm not sure I remember this game as well as I thought...

To get Biggoron's Sword you need to have
Freed King Zora from ice because he gives you that frog I think.

samoset

Regulus Tera said:
Oracle of seasons has better fights than every other game in the series barring AoL because the enemies are for once not pushovers.
I remember Oracle of seasons being a pushover compared to ages. Going from seasons to ages I remember having to be a better Zelda player to get through that. Ages also had the better normal final boss :p
Nevermind that I can't wait to the both pop up on the VC to play through those again seeing as I'm currently lacking a backlighted Gameboy device. It could actually take advantage of the 3ds note feature because of all the codes you could enter between the games.

I think the best combat system of any Zelda has to be Wind Waker with the introduction of the parry system. The combat was fast, fluid, and fun; it's just a shame that they really never ramp up the difficulty in that one.

Kard8p3 said:
Did you get the key at the bottom of the well?
Yeah, but I figured out which one I was missing.
The one you get from hitting the paintings with arrows and defeating the ghosts that come out

Whenever Ocarina is discussed, phrases like, "Best game ever" are thrown around a lot. With the new coat of paint and steady frame rate, I thought I'd give it another fair shake. In the original 64 version I got to the Water Temple and just called it quits because I wasn't having fun and hadn't since the Deku Tree dungeon. Sadly, this mind set has completely carried over with the 3DS revision. I get to certain sections and I think to myself, "Oh yeah... This part."

It's not that I disliked the transition to 3D, as I enjoyed Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, it's only Ocarina that doesn't click with me. Is it the pacing? The combat? The world? There is something that keeps me from enjoying it and after 13 years, I still don't quite know what that is but I've finally realized, OoT is not for me.

Bentendo

I'm so pissed off right now.
I couldn't remember how to get in the Goron's room at Goron City. I tried every tune in front of the Goron near the door and nothing worked. I didn't realize that I had to stand on the freaking rug and play the tune. Well, there goes my hope of not using a strategy guide once to beat the game. And so early too.

Kard8p3

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Yeah, but I figured out which one I was missing.
The one you get from hitting the paintings with arrows and defeating the ghosts that come out

Ah alright then. Seeing as the Forest temple is a favorite of many it would be nice to hear a first timers impression of it once you're done there.

well damn... I just got back from the mall Target did not have Zelda but EBgames had it so
Got Zelda, DOA, and a cosmo 3DS

sheesh yup and I cannot see 3D

going to take a nap let it charge and play all night

dvolovets

There's something about all these Ocarina of Time spoiler tags that is making me very nostalgic... can't wait to start playing the game today!

rhino4evr

I finished TP and Wind Waker without Strat Guides..but for some reason I remember OOT's puzzles to be much less obvious. I wonder if I'll need a guide now

kunonabi

I can't stop listening to that new orchestrated track for OoT 3D I still no clue why they omitted it the first time around or in TP for that matter. Hopefully SS gets a rendition of it. Even it doesn't the beam sword will make up for it. I'm still irritated that Wind Waker and TP hinted at it and then just left it out anyway.

Bentendo

rhino4evr said:
I finished TP and Wind Waker without Strat Guides..but for some reason I remember OOT's puzzles to be much less obvious. I wonder if I'll need a guide now

Yeah, one thing about OoT that I remember is that some of the puzzles are just stupidly hard. Even early in the game. WHY THE HELL WOULD A CHICKEN BE IN A CRATE? HUH?

Chopper

So, bugs in bottles. Is their only use to dig into soft soil? Are these the same spots I plant magic beans? Do I need to be using my bug, before planting my seed?!

Futureman

The hill leading up to Goron City looks SO GOOD. Textures look fantastic and the 3D is real nice. Pretty sure the N64 version looked no way near as good here, though I could be remembering wrong.

Gives hope that a WW port on 3DS could look great, though I'm thinking that will probably be a big launch title on the Wii U's Virtual Console, so it probably won't happen. Just give me an MM port and I'll be satisfied.

Spinning pot on the lower level on Goron City... is there a way to get inside? Or does it just spit out rubies when you through a bomb in? I could have sworn you can jump in, but I wasn't able to after like 20 tries last night.

kunonabi said:
I can't stop listening to that new orchestrated track for OoT 3D I still no clue why they omitted it the first time around or in TP for that matter. Hopefully SS gets a rendition of it. Even it doesn't the beam sword will make up for it. I'm still irritated that Wind Waker and TP hinted at it and then just left it out anyway.
They didn't omit it the first time around, there was never any plan for any orchestrated tracks the first time around. I'm not sure that would have even been possible on the N64.

Bentendo said:
Yeah, one thing about OoT that I remember is that some of the puzzles are just stupidly hard. Even early in the game. WHY THE HELL WOULD A CHICKEN BE IN A CRATE? HUH?

Oh god I know, right? I was playing the VC version for a bit to deal with my OoT craving for a bit, and looking for that damn chicken just made me stop once I found it. Thankfully because of that knowledge, it didn't take long this time.

Rich!

.hacked said:
Such high reviews for a dam near straight port of a 13 year old game. I'd rather have a new adventure.

Haha.

Go and play it, and then come back to us with a real criticism. I'm a big critic of Nintendo's re-releasing of games untouched (All Stars comes to mind...), but OOT is one of the most superb and downright masterful remakes I have ever played.

Just looking at any indoor areas of the game is enough to prove my point. They haven't just ported shit over to the 3DS - in most areas of the game, they've COMPLETELY remade them.

Roto13

Bought this today for the soundtrack CD. So now I own it twice on N64 (one regular cart and one gold cart), twice on GameCube (Master Quest and Collector's Edition discs) once on the Wii Virtual Console, and now on the 3DS. I may have gone overboard.

I don't have 3DS yet, but I will probably be buying one this week. Looking forward to the pretty new graphics. I never get tired of this game. :p
Revolutionary said:
Aiming bombchu's in the bowling alley with the slider pad is one of the worst things ever.
Aiming bombchus in the bowling alley with the control stick was already one of the worst things ever. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
richisawesome said:
Haha.

Go and play it, and then come back to us with a real criticism. I'm a big critic of Nintendo's re-releasing of games untouched (All Stars comes to mind...), but OOT is one of the most superb and downright masterful remakes I have ever played.

Just looking at any indoor areas of the game is enough to prove my point. They haven't just ported shit over to the 3DS - in most areas of the game, they've COMPLETELY remade them.

As far as I'm concerned this is the finest presentation of a classic game, ever. They truly nailed exactly which elements to upgrade or refresh, to the right degree, and what to leave alone.

100% definitive version of Ocarina of Time doubleplus true forever.

Rich!

hamchan said:
This game falls squarely in the middle of remake and port: enhanced port.

An enhanced port with a significant portion of the areas completely remade/remodelled - that I can agree on. And pretty much every single texture has been completely redrawn from scratch.

dark10x said:
I'm enjoying this so far, but after just replaying A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, I'm reminded why I prefer my Zelda in 2D.

First and foremost, I cannot stand the battle music. It absolutely ruins any atmosphere they may have been aiming for in the dungeons. It's something about modern Zelda games that I'm growing sick of. To be honest, I'm not really enjoying the music much at all. I had forgotten about that, but despite the praise it always seems to receive, I just don't think it has a particularly good soundtrack.

Secondly, while I appreciate what they were doing with the Hyrule Field back in 98, I don't really think it's anywhere near as interesting as the overworld in the above 2D Zelda titles. It's just empty terrain with a few hotspots almost like some sort of world map in an old Final Fantasy game rather than the detail rich environment present in 2D Zelda.

Still, despite that, it's a very good game. I keep finding myself flicking between 2D and 3D, though. My eyes just don't feel comfortable looking at the screen in 3D for long periods of time plus the 2D mode improves the image quality greatly.
Definitely agree on the unimpressive soundtrack. I was never a big fan of either the OoT or the MM soundtrack. So far they haven't matched aLttP or LA but I do think TP came close with some moments.

Just beat
Phantom Ganon
in the Forest Temple, which was by far the most exciting boss fight thus far.

Even though I've never gotten there, I've heard tales of absolute horror about the Water Temple, so I'm a bit weary to go there for the first time...

The Lamp

richisawesome said:
Haha.

Well "COMPLETELY" remade them to be the same. It's not like they added any new content or features besides the boss challenge or Master Quest.

Top Bottom