• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

RagnarokX

Bentendo said:
I'm so pissed off right now.
I couldn't remember how to get in the Goron's room at Goron City. I tried every tune in front of the Goron near the door and nothing worked. I didn't realize that I had to stand on the freaking rug and play the tune. Well, there goes my hope of not using a strategy guide once to beat the game. And so early too.
A tip to help in the future. Whenever you whip out the ocarina while standing in an area where it will do something special it plays a jingle.

Rich!

The Lamp said:
Well "COMPLETELY" remade them to be the same.

Go and have a look at the Ice Cavern (particuarly the room where you fight the Wolfos), then come back to me.

I think there's a comparison earlier on in the thread actually.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In terms of weaknesses, Ocarina of Time IMO works better on a handheld due to what 3D Zelda's have never gotten right. The overworld.

The big, empty Hyrule field was always the game's weakest element. Especially after LttP offered two whole world maps. On a portable, ironically, it makes the game feel condensed; doesn't take long to get from important point to important point. It actually benefits playing Ocarina here, in this specific circumstance.

But it's still a series weakness in the 3D design lineage.

LttP epitomizes Zelda with a mazelike overworld full of genuinely dangerous enemies and craploads of secrets to uncover. It also improves on the original Zelda's design by structuring the map to constantly tease the player with sections of the grid that are visible but require thought on how to access.

Vinci

Danish
Kaijima said:
In terms of weaknesses, Ocarina of Time IMO works better on a handheld due to what 3D Zelda's have never gotten right. The overworld.

The big, empty Hyrule field was always the game's weakest element. Especially after LttP offered two whole world maps. On a portable, ironically, it makes the game feel condensed; doesn't take long to get from important point to important point. It actually benefits playing Ocarina here, in this specific circumstance.

Bingo. Actually, your statement that it minimizes the issue makes me want to try this game whereas I had zero interest before.

Kard8p3

Kaijima said:

LttP epitomizes Zelda with a mazelike overworld full of genuinely dangerous enemies and craploads of secrets to uncover. It also improves on the original Zelda's design by structuring the map to constantly tease the player with sections of the grid that are visible but require thought on how to access.

Luckily it seems like they will be be improving that with Skyward Sword. Apparently the whole game is like a dungeon.

Revolutionary said:
Aiming bombchu's in the bowling alley with the slider pad is one of the worst things ever.
People aim the bombchus? I did what I've always done: Stand right in the middle and just time the obstacles to be out of your path. Got the
Biggest Bomb Bag on my second try

shadyspace said:
People aim the bombchus? I did what I've always done: Stand right in the middle and just time the obstacles to be out of your path. Got the
This is my first time playing the game, but thanks. I've already finished it.

Rich!

Kard8p3 said:
Luckily it seems like they will be be improving that with Skyward Sword. Apparently the whole game is like a dungeon.

Just like Link's Awakening then, in a way. That overworld was essentially a dungeon in itself.

samoset

shadyspace said:
How do you hit the targets that appear on the right or left?

Kard8p3

richisawesome said:
Just like Link's Awakening then, in a way. That overworld was essentially a dungeon in itself.

Yeah that's what I thought of when they said the whole game was like a dungeon. If they do it right (and I'm sure they will) it'll be awesome.

Bentendo

RagnarokX said:
A tip to help in the future. Whenever you whip out the ocarina while standing in an area where it will do something special it plays a jingle.

You are indeed an awesome member. Thanks man.

Vinci

Danish
Kard8p3 said:
Yeah that's what I thought of when they said the whole game was like a dungeon. If they do it right (and I'm sure they will) it'll be awesome.

Yup. Skyward Sword is Nintendo's last chance. I'm not giving them another one. They either figure out the content-to-scale ratio on this one, or I'm not touching another Zelda game. They've grown so dull and empty.

Rich!

Kard8p3 said:

Minish Cap's overworld was the same too. And the guy who was in charge of Minish Cap is working on Skyward Sword.

Roto13 said:
I really hope Skyward Sword doesn't end up as a Metroidvania game. >_>

I do. It will be fucking awesome.

samoset said:
How do you hit the targets that appear on the right or left?
I did haven't any targets show up on the left or right both times I tried it. Straight through the middle all three times. Hmm, now that you mention it I do remember that from the N64 version. Either they changed it or the target placement is random.

Bentendo

richisawesome said:
Minish Cap's overworld was the same too. And the guy who was in charge of Minish Cap is working on Skyward Sword.

It's funny because when the game's first trailer was revealed, the first thing that came to my mind was that it looked a lot like the Minish Cap. I couldn't exactly pinpoint a reason why this was, but it just reminded me of the game. IMO Minish Cap is the best 2D Zelda ever released.

Kard8p3

richisawesome said:
Minish Cap's overworld was the same too. And the guy who was in charge of Minish Cap is the director of Skyward Sword.

I do. It will be fucking awesome.

I really liked Minish Cap. I thought the overworld was great and I was happy when I heard the director of that game was doing Skyward Sword. There are a few similarities between the two like the focus on forging and important sword, Zelda and Link being childhood friends, and both feature people from the sky.

When it comes to being a metroidvania I wouldn't mind at all. There were already times in other zelda games where you couldn't progress till you had a certain item. Really both Zelda and Metroid are quite similar in certain ways.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
dark10x said:
I'm enjoying this so far, but after just replaying A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, I'm reminded why I prefer my Zelda in 2D.

First and foremost, I cannot stand the battle music. It absolutely ruins any atmosphere they may have been aiming for in the dungeons. It's something about modern Zelda games that I'm growing sick of. To be honest, I'm not really enjoying the music much at all. I had forgotten about that, but despite the praise it always seems to receive, I just don't think it has a particularly good soundtrack.

Secondly, while I appreciate what they were doing with the Hyrule Field back in 98, I don't really think it's anywhere near as interesting as the overworld in the above 2D Zelda titles. It's just empty terrain with a few hotspots almost like some sort of world map in an old Final Fantasy game rather than the detail rich environment present in 2D Zelda.

Still, despite that, it's a very good game. I keep finding myself flicking between 2D and 3D, though. My eyes just don't feel comfortable looking at the screen in 3D for long periods of time plus the 2D mode improves the image quality greatly.

Heh, these were mostly the complaints being argued back in 1998 on this forum.

I do agree though, and nearly a decade later Twilight Princess did nothing to correct these issues, and in many ways was a far worse offender in these same areas.

Re: the Fishing pond owner
am I crazy or didn't he always have a hat? He had a full head of hair when I went in there as Child Link. Or did he bald during the 7 year gap and that's why he had it?

Bentendo

Brandon F said:
Heh, these were mostly the complaints being argued back in 1998 on this forum.

I do agree though, and nearly a decade later Twilight Princess did nothing to correct these issues, and in many ways was a far worse offender in these same areas.

Oh God. I truly do love Twilight Princess but its overwold was a travesty. I remember being so hyped for all the secrets and being so disappointed that, for the most part, it was just a giant, empty plot of land. It was fun to traverse the first time around but after that initial excitement I got bored during the second playthrough. The dungeons, however, are perfect. The towns are pretty good too, especially the canyon-area.

Yeah I can't stand battle music during games like this, in Alice 2 it fucking sucks. Even worse they decided to implement music that accompanies each strike you make on an enemy. Ugghhh. If Skyward Sword has flaws, that will be one of them.

kunonabi

yeah the 3D overworlds have always been underwhelming to me. It's one of the reasons I place so much importance on the dungeons. The overworld is a large part of why lttp is still my favorite Zelda game. I really don't like the dull trading sequences or the skulltula/poe nonsense the 3D have relied on. Wind Waker at least felt like a treasure hunt on the high seas. I'm not at the triforce quest yet so that may sour me on it though.

I'm going to pick up OoT and Pilotwings at Target and I'm going to treat it like I'm paying 20 bucks for the 25th anniversary Symphony series, and Orchestrated soundtrack and OoT will just be a nice bonus.

Roto13

shadyspace said:
am I crazy or didn't he always have a hat? He had a full head of hair when I went in there as Child Link. Or did he bald during the 7 year gap and that's why he had it?
Yeah, that happens during Link's time in the Temple of Time. :p

Brandon F

Zelda 1 still reigns as having the best overworld, but LttP is right there with it. Just jam packed with personality as nearly every screen has something to uncover(either lore, treasure, or mere window dressing).

My problem with the portables(LA, Oracle's, Minish) is that the world's are so focused and linear that they barely feel like an actual overworld. 'Exploration' is at the behest of the progression, almost as if each section of the world can be referenced as a 'stage' for the overall quest. They are fantastic games regardless.

Chopper

shadyspace said:
You can get to him as
Child Link
?!

.hacked

In my short time playing this port I didn't notice anything new. Sure it looks nicer now but that is it. Not knocking it for the fans but 9.5s and 10s for a game that 9.5s and 10s 13 years ago. Would it have killed them to add a new dungeon or weapon. Having to play two versions side by side to tell any major differences.

I had more fun with the GameCube port, that one I got free with my GameCube and it had MM on the disc as well.

ASIS

.hacked said:
Such high reviews for a dam near straight port of a 13 year old game. I'd rather have a new adventure.
Skyward Sword?

Even when Zelda delivers something for everyone people just find new and innovative ways to complain.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Majora's Mask is the only 3D one with an overworld that seemed populated at all. It frequently had enemies and was also really, really condensed. It never really bothered me in OoT, but TP's was a drag to go through at times. I feel like WW worked well with what it was doing.

I SERIOUSLY hope MM gets the same treatment OoT just got on the 3DS. The games shared all of the NPC models, so there's already a good chunk of work done.

RagnarokX

shadyspace said:
That's the joke.
Try casting your lure at him.

Brandon F said:
Zelda 1 still reigns as having the best overworld, but LttP is right there with it. Just jam packed with personality as nearly every screen has something to uncover(either lore, treasure, or mere window dressing).

My problem with the portables(LA, Oracle's, Minish) is that the world's are so focused and linear that they barely feel like an actual overworld. 'Exploration' is at the behest of the progression, almost as if each section of the world can be referenced as a 'stage' for the overall quest. They are fantastic games regardless.

I disagree on LA and Minish, but Oracles are the only Zelda games I've never played. Minish exploration was really fueled by the kinstones thing. And LA had that huge sidequest that had you backtracking everywhere.

Brandon F

Bentendo said:
Oh God. I truly do love Twilight Princess but its overwold was a travesty. I remember being so hyped for all the secrets and being so disappointed that, for the most part, it was just a giant, empty plot of land. It was fun to traverse the first time around but after that initial excitement I got bored during the second playthrough. The dungeons, however, are perfect. The towns are pretty good too, especially the canyon-area.

Replayed TP last year, and I found ONLY the dungeons were the strong highlight for the game. The world is terribly crafted, the town had jack shit to do within(compare Kakariko in TP to even OoT), the difficulty was limp, the economy was broken(leaning FAR too heavilly in favor of the player), much of the progression revolved around forced treasure hunts. Anything NOT involved within the confines of the dungeons was a mess, that made for a poor 'adventure'.

Vinci

Danish
Papercuts said:
Majora's Mask is the only 3D one with an overworld that seemed populated at all. It frequently had enemies and was also really, really condensed. It never really bothered me in OoT, but TP's was a drag to go through at times. I feel like WW worked well with what it was doing.

I SERIOUSLY hope MM gets the same treatment OoT just got on the 3DS. The games shared all of the NPC models, so there's already a good chunk of work done.

In its defense, Majora's Mask came closest to succeeding as a 3D Zelda. The rest were just... long treks through abject emptiness.

olimpia84

Just came back from Target with the last copy of the game (it was their display "case" actually). Took advantage of their promo and got Pilotwings for half off.
Unfortunately, I completed the survey and didn't get the pop-up message so I wrote customer service an email so here's hoping they will reply soon. If not I will give them a call tonight and see what's up.

BTW I have two spanking new 3DS games but no 3DS to play them on! I think I'm going to buy one tonight even though I really don't need to be spending much money...thanks Nintendo.

Chopper

shadyspace said:
Wha? Yeah.
I never even thought about it. I was so excited about finding
the princess's letter in a bottle
, I just raced back to Zora's Domain. Right. I need to go back to the Temple of Time...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Vinci said:
In its defense, Majora's Mask came closest to succeeding as a 3D Zelda. The rest were just... long treks through abject emptiness.

Its defense? MM is soooo good, I was praising it for doing that. :p

.hacked said:
In my short time playing this port I didn't notice anything new. Sure it looks nicer now but that is it. Not knocking it for the fans but 9.5s and 10s for a game that 9.5s and 10s 13 years ago. Would it have killed them to add a new dungeon or weapon. Having to play two versions side by side to tell any major differences.

I had more fun with the GameCube port, that one I got free with my GameCube and it had MM on the disc as well.
Ugh, right? Why'd they just put out a spectacular Blu-Ray transfer of Casablanca? Why not go the extra mile and colorize it?

Vinci

Danish
Papercuts said:
Its defense? MM is soooo good, I was praising it for doing that. :p

No, I was defending it from my myself. I generally shit on 3D Zelda titles en masse, but MM deserves some consideration and defense for having failed the least.

rhino4evr

.hacked said:

A lot of People like the game just the way it is.

Also I don't believe that you played it

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up a 3DS and a copy of the game this morning... Thanks, Target and Best Buy deals!

I've only had the time to play through the Great Deku Tree, but the intro is just as strong as I remember it. I think what surprised me most about this version of the game is how well the motion controls work. Love using the gyroscope to aim or to quickly look around in conjunction with the L button. I'm playing almost exclusively in 2D anyways, since it takes a lot of effort for me to get the 3D effect (legally blind in one eye), so it's not really a trade-off for me.

Can't wait to continue onward in the game...

Rekubot

Has anyone noticed that they changed (trading quest spoiler)
Fado's dialogue when she's in the Lost Woods and you give her the medicine in exchange for the saw? She used to say something rhyme-like if memory serves but now she specifically states that Kokiri are the exception to becoming Stalfos. She then asks if Link will become one too, maybe hinting at his appearance in Twilight Princess?
Just thought it was a strange thing to change.

snesfreak

Banned
So now I have the MQ disc, 2 copies of the Collector's Edition (one sealed), the VC version, and now 2 copies of the 3DS version.
And I'm not sure if I'm gonna return the 2nd one or not.
<------------------- Zelda whore.

Brandon F

Having played Master Quest on GC, it will be really interesting to see some of you first timer's thoughts on some of the dungeon redesigns. Spirit Temple alone had me stumped several times, and while it can be(and was) argued that many of the progression and puzzle changes didn't suit the map layouts quite as nicely as the original, I much preferred the craziness and obtuse path triggers. Really looking for impressions on the upped difficulty too regarding combat.

Damn I really wish you could just type 'Zelda' as your name to access it immediately.

Bentendo

You know those eye statues that if you strike with a sword, will tell the time? Well, Navi says that there's a fairy inside that you can lure out. Does anyone know how to do this?

Rich!

brandonh83 said:
Yeah I can't stand battle music during games like this, in Alice 2 it fucking sucks. Even worse they decided to implement music that accompanies each strike you make on an enemy. Ugghhh. If Skyward Sword has flaws, that will be one of them.

Guessing you haven't played Wind Waker or Twilight Princess then? Both of those Zelda games have music that accompanies any hits you make on an enemy - hugely so in Wind Waker in particular.

Bentendo said:
You know those eye statues that if you strike with a sword, will tell the time? Well, Navi says that there's a fair inside that you can lure out. Does anyone know how to do this?

I still remember about 10 years ago when I got OOT on the N64, how amazed I was that whenever I put a bomb next to a gossip stone, it then initiated a lift-off and flew into space never to be seen again.

It still does it in the 3DS version. But alas, no fairy. So yeah, I dunno.

The Lamp

richisawesome said:
Go and have a look at the Ice Cavern (particuarly the room where you fight the Wolfos), then come back to me.

I think there's a comparison earlier on in the thread actually.

Like I said, they completely remade it to be the same. When I say "same", I mean they left the game the way it was without adding anything. They improved the graphics but not much else. Other than the way the Ice Cavern LOOKS did they actually change the layout of the cavern or add any extra features or rooms? No?

It's a graphical remake but that's it really. They didn't take advantage of the development time to add any real new content to the game, actually. Just a boss mode and Master Quest.

Top Bottom