• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Chopper

Bentendo said:
You know those eye statues that if you strike with a sword, will tell the time? Well, Navi says that there's a fairy inside that you can lure out. Does anyone know how to do this?
If in doubt,
play Zelda's Lullaby

Kard8p3

Skilletor said:
I don't think expecting something extra at all for a port of a decade old game is out of the question.

Improved graphics, boss rush mode, Mirrored and apparently harder master quest version. Besides it's not really a port but a remastering.

Rich!

The Lamp said:
Like I said, they completely remade it to be the same. When I say "same", I mean they left the game the way it was without adding anything. They improved the graphics but not much else. Other than the way the Ice Cavern LOOKS did they actually change the layout of the cavern or add any extra features or rooms? No?

Firstly, no it doesn't look the same. The room you meet shiek in has an ass-tastic flat texture in the N64 version. In the 3DS one it's been completely re-designed with icicles and shit everywhere. If you say otherwise, you're quite clearly full of shit and haven't seen it. Also, look at the interiors of the Temple of Time. They've quite clearly redesigned it to fit better in with the design in Twilight Princess.

And also, I'd rather they didn't add extra rooms or change layouts. Why mess with perfection? Unless you're George Lucas, would you honestly take (for example) a classic film and shove a load of extra scenes in there for the hell of it? No, you wouldn't. Ocarina is the same.

Skilletor

Kard8p3 said:
Improved graphics, boss rush mode, Mirrored and apparently harder master quest version. Besides it's not really a port but a remastering.

how do you access boss rush mode and master quest?

I know you have to beat the game for MQ, is it the same for boss rush? Which would mean you'd be playing the same game you played on N64, but better looking. Which isn't saying much, since that means it's not really impressive anyway.

Why is it such a bad thing to want something more than a cosmetic facelift to a game being brought to a new console/handheld?

Why would you want new content? No matter what they added it would just disappoint people and mess up the delicate formula of perfection the game has.

Rich!

Skilletor said:
how do you access boss rush mode and master quest?

I know you have to beat the game for MQ, is it the same for boss rush? Which would mean you'd be playing the same game you played on N64, but better looking. Which isn't saying much, since that means it's not really impressive anyway.

Why is it such a bad thing to want something more than a cosmetic facelift to a game being brought to a new console/handheld?

Boss Rush is available from the end of the first boss. Just go to your bed and hit A.

The Lamp

Brandon F said:
Replayed TP last year, and I found ONLY the dungeons were the strong highlight for the game. The world is terribly crafted, the town had jack shit to do within(compare Kakariko in TP to even OoT), the difficulty was limp, the economy was broken(leaning FAR too heavilly in favor of the player), much of the progression revolved around forced treasure hunts. Anything NOT involved within the confines of the dungeons was a mess, that made for a poor 'adventure'.

Pretty much. TP is not a good Zelda unless you look purely at dungeons (even then, the only challenging dungeon, kind of, was Sky Temple. The rest were pretty easy and uninspiring and run-of-the-mill as far as dungeon design goes for a Zelda game). The lack of side-quests bothered me, too.

The Lamp

shadyspace said:
Why would you want new content? No matter what they added it would just disappoint people and mess up the delicate formula of perfection the game has.

As long as they don't take away content, what would be wrong with there being a new bonus dungeon to unlock after you beat the game, or a few new sidequests, or something? If you don't like it, you can ignore it. It's not like the 3DS has achievements or anything, anyway.

richisawesome said:
Firstly, no it doesn't look the same. The room you meet shiek in has an ass-tastic flat texture in the N64 version. In the 3DS one it's been completely re-designed with icicles and shit everywhere. If you say otherwise, you're quite clearly full of shit and haven't seen it. Also, look at the interiors of the Temple of Time. They've quite clearly redesigned it to fit better in with the design in Twilight Princess.

And also, I'd rather they didn't add extra rooms or change layouts. Why mess with perfection? Unless you're George Lucas, would you honestly take (for example) a classic film and shove a load of extra scenes in there for the hell of it? No, you wouldn't. Ocarina is the same.

I saw the pictures. Do the icicles serve any purpose or are they just aesthetic improvements to the otherwise black-walled N64 version?

Nothing you say is really disputing what I said. When I said they remade it to be the "same" I was obviously meaning (and later clarified) that they remade it but by ONLY improving the graphics and aesthetics--they didn't add any real new content.

Skilletor said:
I don't think expecting something extra at all for a port of a decade old game is out of the question.
I got more than I asked for <3 OOT.

Seriously though HELP! I can't stop playing this game all day especially having it handheld makes things worse I knew I was a Zelda fan but not that hardcore, I feel that I'm wearing The Red Shoes on my hand and I can't stop playing :(

Kard8p3

shadyspace said:

Just think of how people reacted when a couple extra scenes were added to the old star wars movies. People don't want their memories to be screwed up.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Lamp said:
Like I said, they completely remade it to be the same. When I say "same", I mean they left the game the way it was without adding anything. They improved the graphics but not much else. Other than the way the Ice Cavern LOOKS did they actually change the layout of the cavern or add any extra features or rooms? No?

It's a graphical remake but that's it really. They didn't take advantage of the development time to add any real new content to the game, actually. Just a boss mode and Master Quest.

Why would they do that? I'm not particularly fond of OoT (though I'm enjoying the 3DS version), but I just can't fathom what you think they would/could have changed to improve the experience. They altered the Water Temple to make is less frustrating, which seems to me to be the only important issue that needed addressing without completely altering the experience (like getting rid of the shitting hub-and-spoke overworld).

Kard8p3

Roto13 said:
Star Wars fans are a special kind of crazy, though. Of course, Zelda fans aren't exactly well adjusted....

I was about to say the same of zelda fans but you edited your post. This game is the equivalent of old movies being digitally remastered. The quality of the picture is improved but it's still the same great content you loved back in the day.

Rekubot said:
Has anyone noticed that they changed (trading quest spoiler)
Fado's dialogue when she's in the Lost Woods and you give her the medicine in exchange for the saw? She used to say something rhyme-like if memory serves but now she specifically states that Kokiri are the exception to becoming Stalfos. She then asks if Link will become one too, maybe hinting at his appearance in Twilight Princess?
Just thought it was a strange thing to change.
I looked up a text dump of the old game and it sounds mostly the same as what you said:

That guy isn't here anymore.
Anybody who comes into the
forest will be lost.
Everybody will become a Stalfos.
Everybody, Stalfos.
So, he's not here anymore.
Only his saw is left. Hee hee.

That medicine is made of
forest mushrooms. Give it back!
Yes
No

Heh heh heh.
Are you going to be... too?
Heh heh!

Rich!

Kard8p3 said:
I was about to say the same of zelda fans but you edited your post. This game is the equivalent of old movies being digitally remastered. The quality of the picture is improved but it's still the same great content you loved back in the day.

Yep. All I wanted is a portable version of OOT - and this is just a definitive, remastered version of such a game. It's not a 'remake' like this:

z4.png

If it was, it wouldn't be Ocarina of Time. It'd be a game that's vaguely like it.

The Lamp

aidan said:
Why would they do that? I'm not particularly fond of OoT (though I'm enjoying the 3DS version), but I just can't fathom what you think they would/could have changed to improve the experience. They altered the Water Temple to make is less frustrating, which seems to me to be the only important issue that needed addressing without completely altering the experience (like getting rid of the shitting hub-and-spoke overworld).

I would have appreciated a bonus "challenge" dungeon or two after you beat the game, or a new optional mini-game (like fishing was), or a new side-quest or something. Something to make me play this version (besides graphical upgrade) over the other 5 versions of this game that I own.

Rich!

The Lamp said:
I would have appreciated a bonus "challenge" dungeon or two after you beat the game, or a new optional mini-game (like fishing was), or a new side-quest or something. Something to make me play this version (besides graphical upgrade) over the other 5 versions of this game that I own.

Not a sub 20fps framerate and a much crazier master quest are two additional features.

Seriously. After playing through the 3DS version, I'd rather not play any of the other versions ever again. Ever. It is quite simply better than the original in every single way. THAT is why you would play it before the others. And I wouldn't have said that until I played it - which you should do too.

The Lamp

richisawesome said:
Not a sub 20fps framerate and a much crazier master quest are two additional features.

I already own Master Quest. The better framerate must be nice, but then again I've already played OoT emulated on my beastly PC.

richisawesome said:

Seriously. After playing through the 3DS version, I'd rather not play any of the other versions ever again. Ever. It is quite simply better than the original in every single way. THAT is why you would play it before the others.

Well obviously. It's better, even if only slightly due to graphical improvements, 3D and gyro-controls. But I still wouldn't have minded extra content to solidify my need to purchase it.

bitoriginal

Just came in to say... oh my god. This game, it's absolutely fantastic. Loving every minute of it, and it feels so epic. Just played to the beginning of adult Link so far. How did this pass me by? In some ways I'm glad, because this version is visually fantastic and very satisfying to play.

Tarin02543

The Water Temple is one of those situations where the final answer lies in full view. The annoying part is you will go past it 30 times before you will have the epiphany.

Rich!

The Lamp said:
I already own Master Quest. The better framerate must be nice, but then again I've already played OoT emulated on my beastly PC.

I've got a beastly PC, and I've played Ocarina of Time in HD...and the textures still look like utter shit no matter what the resolution. The 3DS version quite simply rapes it in terms of IQ in every single respect. And those Hi-Res texture packs that are going around? No. Fucking. Comparison.

Master quest is also different on the 3DS version. It's reversed in mirror image and enemies deal more damage.

The Lamp

richisawesome said:
I've got a beastly PC, and I've played Ocarina of Time in HD...and the textures still look like utter shit no matter what the resolution. The 3DS version quite simply rapes it in terms of IQ in every single respect.

Master quest is also different on the 3DS version. It's reversed in mirror image and enemies deal more damage.

Well yes, I've seen the comparisons. I know that they did everything from complete retexturing to complete remodeling of environments.

Kard8p3

bitoriginal said:
Just came in to say... oh my god. This game, it's absolutely fantastic. Loving every minute of it, and it feels so epic. Just played to the beginning of adult Link so far. How did this pass me by? In some ways I'm glad, because this version is visually fantastic and very satisfying to play.

Welcome to the world of Ocarina of Time. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamp said:

You got a boss rush mode, a mirrored & harder Master Quest, touch screen menus, gyro camera and improved visuals.

Judging by your comments, it seems you would rather have 1 new dungeon over all this.

richisawesome said:
Guessing you haven't played Wind Waker or Twilight Princess then? Both of those Zelda games have music that accompanies any hits you make on an enemy - hugely so in Wind Waker in particular.

Oh I know, I didn't like it in those games either. It seemed more subdued in Twilight Princess though.

Faaaaauuucck. I don't know what to do after I beat this now. My plan was to play through all the 3D Zeldas in chronological order once I got this to put a dent in the wait for SS. But now I really want to hold off from MM for the probable 3DS release. Shit. I really want to play it though. I should just move on to WW.

Rich!

Bisnic said:
You got a boss rush mode, a mirrored & harder Master Quest, touch screen menus, gyro cameras and improved visuals.

Judging by your comments, it seems you would rather have 1 new dungeon over all this.

And going by the colour dungeon in Link's Awakening DX, it'd probably be rubbish. OOT 3DS is perfect.

Gravijah

shadyspace said:
Faaaaauuucck. I don't know what to do after I beat this now. My plan was to play through all the 3D Zeldas in chronological order once I got this to put a dent in the wait for SS. But now I really want to hold off from MM for the probable 3DS release. Shit. I really want to play it though. I should just move on to WW.

MM remake will be years away, if ever.

Bisnic said:
You got a boss rush mode, a mirrored & harder Master Quest, touch screen menus, gyro camera and improved visuals.

And not just "improved" visuals but "added" visuals. Look around Impa's House in Kakariko and you'll know what I mean.

Rich!

shadyspace said:
And not just "improved" visuals but "added" visuals. Look around Impa's House in Kakariko and you'll know what I mean.

And all the extra stuff in Ingo's room that wasn't there before.

There'll be a MM3D and soon. This'll sell gang-busters so they'll be incentive plus Grezzo is far from the busiest developer in the world plus, plus all the heavy lifting is done re: graphic engine.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Tarin02543 said:
Any word on special secrets? Surely they must have hidden something deep away for us hardcore zelda fans.

Are hidden Skyward Sword artworks good enough? I only know of one, no idea if there is more.

Boogie9IGN

Oh my god, this is what I get for never checking Gaming-GAF. I had no idea about this game at all! Gahhhhhhhh next paycheck goes to a 3DS and OoT

Muskweeto

I'll start by saying I'm completely satisfied with this remake.

I guess a good way to please everybody would have been to leave the original quest the way it is and take the extra time to add all sorts of new stuff to the master quest, if not new dungeons they could have added more to the overworld like secret locations and added sidequests.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Lamp said:

So you're complaining because your sundae doesn't have sprinkles on top of the cherries, whipped cream, hot fudge and ice cream?

Rekubot

UncleSporky said:
I looked up a text dump of the old game and it sounds mostly the same as what you said:

That guy isn't here anymore.
Anybody who comes into the
forest will be lost.
Everybody will become a Stalfos.
Everybody, Stalfos.
So, he's not here anymore.
Only his saw is left. Hee hee.

That medicine is made of
forest mushrooms. Give it back!
Yes
No

Heh heh heh.
Are you going to be... too?
Heh heh!
Yeah, it's definitely changed a little bit.
This time around she makes it clear that Kokiri don't become Stalfos, and instead of "Are you going to be... too?" She says something along the lines of "Are you going to become a Stalfos too?".

The Lamp said:
As long as they don't take away content, what would be wrong with there being a new bonus dungeon to unlock after you beat the game, or a few new sidequests, or something? If you don't like it, you can ignore it. It's not like the 3DS has achievements or anything, anyway.
Well, let's look at the last time they did that - in Link's Awakening DX, they added an extra dungeon to the game for people playing it on a GBC. The problem is, that dungeon felt really tacked on - it didn't really fit with the rest of the game. And it wasn't a very good dungeon compared to the rest that were in the game, and finishing it got you an item which killed the game's balance and made it too easy (they can't give a normal dungeon item because the rest of the game would have to be written to support that item).

This game is pretty much the equivalent of taking an old DVD and remastering it in HD. The movie will look and sound better, and there'll probably be a couple new special features, but it's not a Director's Cut or anything, no new scenes or re-integrating deleted scenes. It's the same movie, but a better version of it.

Tarin02543

Bisnic said:
Are hidden Skyward Sword artworks good enough? I only know of one, no idea if there is more.

yeah, now we're talking. If they were already willing to do that then surely there must be more.

Cheska

I've only been able to play in small bouts so far, which makes me really wish they had changed the save system. I'd love to be able to start where I save rather than back at the village.

Kad5

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's good. Isn't the original Ocarina of Time still the highest rated game of all time at Gamerankings?

Yeah it's still at the top with mario galaxies 1 and 2 trailing very close behind it (the galaxy games are equally my favorite along with ocarina but that's just me)

.hacked

Bisnic said:

I would have rather had something like Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for gamecube. Same great original game filled with a bunch of new goodies. Few extra rooms here and there, maybe a hidden Yoshi statue for me to find ;)

The game is just so familiar, kind of depressing. Hey at least Skyward Sword is still coming out, I'll hold off on that one until we get the "enhanced" port to the Wii U.

Top Bottom