• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

I started last night and just got through the thid dungeon. This game is so much fun. I'm really enjoying just looking at all the new textures and models too.

I really like the 3D, but the viewing angles suck so I have to turn it off if I'm moving the 3DS around a lot when mashing muttons. I keep toggling it off and on. I've mostly just been using it when I'm outside dungeons.

I turned off the gyroscope. It was just confusing and kind of annoying how it would move my aim when I was trying to use the stick. I really don't want to move the 3DS around while playing. Especially with the 3D on.

GJS

rhino4evr said:
Wow...so Master Quest next?
Definitely, I can't wait to see how I find it with the mirrored world + the increased damage.

I didn't find The Master Quest on GC different enough but the mirrored world should fix that.

Roto13 said:
Did they fix the Forest Stage bug?
I presume so, I completed the trading quest before even starting the temples and didn't go and get the Deku Nut upgrade until I went back to get the Lens of Truth, so I definitely got the poachers saw before the upgrade.

Why would you do that? said:
I like how fast gyroscope aiming is, but I can't aim accurately with it. I'm always off by like 2 pixels. With the analog stick, I can hit ducks from across Lake Hylia.

I like the speed of gyro turning. If you do a 180 in real life, your in-game character does a 360.

Really? I'm actually a lot more precise with the gyroscope aiming. The Analog slider works, and its miles better than the Gamecube aiming for OoT was (shudder), but for me there is simply no contest in precision and speed with the gyro. I'm actually probably just amazed at how good it works. Was thinking it to be a gimmick. I would actually love to see some first person shooters with this control setup. (at least optional)

Muskweeto said:
You're probably only joking, but for those who don't realize, the second option is always the right one.
I think I get confused because mashing B somehow always ends up initiating round 2 of Owl advice, but hey more time with his theme music is fine by me

Alrus

Finished the game an hour ago, 18 hours 50 minutes. Didn't get the big poes, still have 30 skulltulas and about 10 heart containers to find. Don't really feel like going after them.

Man what a ride =) But the endings in Zelda games are always so melancholic, I feel a little sad whenever I finish one...

Muskweeto

Nocturnowl said:
I think I get confused because mashing B somehow always ends up initiating round 2 of Owl advice, but hey more time with his theme music is fine by me
I'm in the minority here, but I like the owl, he's somewhat... charming, if that doesn't sound too weird. And of course the music is good too.

wwm0nkey

dc89 said:
Honestly, what is the chance (in percentage) of us seeing MM get the OoT treatment for the 3DS?
If demand is high (which it probably will be after more people finish this) then we got about a 50/50 chance lol

But MM was a direct sequel to OoT...so actually chances might be good.

Muskweeto said:
I'm in the minority here, but I like the owl, he's somewhat... charming, if that doesn't sound too weird. And of course the music is good too.
He's charming until he turns his head upside down and looks at you. Then he's just creepy.

Muskweeto said:
I like Kaepora Gaebora AND Navi. How can you hate people who put so much effort into being helpful?

Teknoman

boris feinbrand said:
Oh yeah, the aiming via gyro sensors is amazing, fast precise and intuitive. I would actually love to see games like Fatal Frame or other Horror games using this.

It is wonky in 3D mode, but in 2D mode its so much better than the analog aiming its ridiculous.

I think there is supposed to be a horror game or at least ghost shooting game in the works.

I cant wait to get to the Shadow temple with the 3DS surround sound setting...last night I was running around in that one underground graveyard spot, and it sounded like something was moving around behind me lol.

ReDeads are still creepy. They dont look realistic or anything, but its just something about them.

Jeels said:
So the anti aliasing in 2D mode makes the game look so much better than whatever the 3D is providing. Makes me sad that I can't enjoy the 3D and the AA, but the AA wins out. :( Considering the game has 3D in the title, I almost feel gipped.
I'm of the opposite viewpoint. I hate the anti aliasing so I never play in 2D mode - the game just looks a tad blurrier in 2D, and there's slightly less detail. I prefer sharp, jagged edges to blurry smooth edges. I'm not against AA - only when the resolution is as low as the 3DS screens do I hate it.

Dreamwriter said:
I'm of the opposite viewpoint. I hate the anti aliasing so I never play in 2D mode - the game just looks a tad blurrier in 2D, and there's slightly less detail. I prefer sharp, jagged edges to blurry smooth edges. I'm not against AA - only when the resolution is as low as the 3DS screens do I hate it.
Wat. How can you hate AA???

shadyspace said:
I like Kaepora Gaebora AND Navi. How can you hate people who put so much effort into being helpful?
We are in agreement, shame his majora's mask equivalent only crops up twice but even with such brief time he left all those useful owl statues, the song of soaring and helps you to the lens of truth, now that's one hell of a helper right there.

Alrus

The owl always felt out of place to me. He knows absolutely everything about the world and even bosses sometimes. I still don't know who he's supposed to be... (An avatar of Rauru would be me guess...)

Alrus said:
The owl always felt out of place to me. He knows absolutely everything about the world and even bosses sometimes. I still don't know who he's supposed to be... (An avatar of Rauru would be me guess...)
I think one of the gossip stones mentioned him being the reincarnation of a sage.

WillyFive

darkpaladinmfc said:
Wat. How can you hate AA???

Probably because it makes things blurrier and takes out detail.

I turn off AA if I am playing at a high resolution on my PC games. It's pointless, makes the game slower and it loses it's sharpness.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Dreamwriter said:

Finally someone who shares my sickness.

I love aliased edges, as long as the aliasing is fine enough, and on a fixed-pixel display. Looks CRISP. OOT in 2D mode just looks muddy to me.

Jackano

dc89 said:
Honestly, what is the chance (in percentage) of us seeing MM get the OoT treatment for the 3DS?

100% like I said since the day we heard about OoT3D one year ago.
MM was originally built on the assets for OoT, in order to make the development cost low and make even more money after the full 5 years that needed OoT.

This is exactly the same right now. All the efforts put in OoT3D are efforts that will be no longer needed for MM3D! Same engine, same 3D models, even for a little half of the OST, same musics.

It makes sense that Grezzo will probably do MM3D. Maybe they are already starting it.
The only question is, Nintendo may want to do a brand new Zelda game before asking Grezzo for MM3D.

But if Grezzo made it, given that the OoT remake is a success (just read this thread!), I'm thinking they can maybe allow themselves more changes into the game. OoT3D changes were kind of delicate, they wanted to be faithfull to the game and couldn't disapoint fans.
Majora's Mask is a little less appreciated, I know, 2 or 3 Neogaffers will answer that MM is the best game ver but still be serious here. :)

So, what changes? This is another topic but a Master Quest for MM will be epic, maybe an another dungeon like in LADX (a reward could be an item from OoT), and the boss challenge of course (online leaderboards this time?). Etc...

TDLink

Alrus said:

This is what I always thought.

wwm0nkey said:
If demand is high (which it probably will be after more people finish this) then we got about a 50/50 chance lol

But MM was a direct sequel to OoT...so actually chances might be good.

The thing about it is MM reuses a shit load of OOT assets - character models, enemy models, even environment stuff - so a large chunk of stuff is already done.

watershed

Banned
Dammit, I was hoping to just stroll into my local gamestop after work to pick up OoT but they're all sold out. Every gamestop in my area is out of the game. Good thing I decided to call first. The wait for this is getting tough.

Are other areas all sold out? Do you all think this game is the big hit the 3ds needs or just a case of small first shipments (like they did in Japan)?

Willy105 said:
Probably because it makes things blurrier and takes out detail.

I turn off AA if I am playing at a high resolution on my PC games. It's pointless, makes the game slower and it loses it's sharpness.
It doesn't take out any detail, unless sub-par AA is used (like MSAA). Of course AA will make the game 'slower', that's because it makes it look better!

Kthreev

artwalknoon said:
Dammit, I was hoping to just stroll into my local gamestop after work to pick up OoT but they're all sold out. Every gamestop in my area is out of the game. Good thing I decided to call first. The wait for this is getting tough.

Are other areas all sold out? Do you all think this game is the big hit the 3ds needs or just a case of small first shipments (like they did in Japan)?

Same thing at my Gamestop... but then I just rolled into Kmart and grabbed it no problems. Plus I got a $15 coupon towards my next video game purchase at Kmart, good deal.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fernando Rocker said:
For some reason, ReDeads are harder in this version of the game...
You can always use Din's Fire or Fire Arrows and burn them. Also, Sun's Song + sneaking up behind them with your sword is effective.

Dreamwriter said:

I agree with you on this subject. I prefer the way the game looks in 3D much more than 2D.

WillyFive

darkpaladinmfc said:
It doesn't take out any detail, unless sub-par AA is used (like MSAA). Of course AA will make the game 'slower', that's because it makes it look better!

Framerate is part of the graphics as well, you know. You can have a very impressive technical feat, but if it runs at a bad framerate, it is still bad graphics. This ain't the N64 era anymore, where framerates didn't matter.

wwm0nkey

My sisters store got an ass load of OoT in...all gone now and she is in a very small store.

We got a decent chunk in too and wouldn't be shocked if they where gone as well. It really does seem like the game isnt understocked, its just selling like f'ing crazy.

Reknoc

Fernando Rocker said:
For some reason, ReDeads are harder in this version of the game...

Just suns song them.

Which reminds me; the fact you can look at the inputs for ocarina songs while playing it is an awesome addition.

I think the 3d mode destroys the 2d mode. Looks so much more crisp and lively. Only the ghosting will forever haunt me.

Anyway, what are those stupid statues standing around, giving the time when I hit them? Will I find out later or all they all just annoying helpers like the one near Link's hut?

darkpaladinmfc said:

lulwat

Alrus

By the way there are HUGE framerate dips during the last boss fight (
When you use the light arrow on ganondorf
. I played that part in 3D (it was awesome!) but the loss in smoothness is pretty jarring. Is it the same in 2D?

wwm0nkey

Damnit I havent played with the 3D on for atleast a month and now because of OoT im getting that weird thing where it looks like black text is popping out on these forums.

Jackano

schennmu said:
I think the 3d mode destroys the 2d mode. Looks so much more crisp and lively. Only the ghosting will forever haunt me.

Anyway, what are those stupid statues standing around, giving the time when I hit them? Will I find out later or all they all just annoying helpers like the one near Link's hut?

There is a secret about those statues if you look closer to the mark on it.

The one near Link's house is a brand-new one, it's the Super Guide that Miyamoyo wanted to add since this leak about "Legend of OO" ^^

wwm0nkey said:
Damnit I havent played with the 3D on for atleast a month and now because of OoT im getting that weird thing where it looks like black text is popping out on these forums.

I miss being able to see 3D GAF...

Kthreev

lawblob said:
Does K-Mart have a deal on this?
You have to be a Kmart member, but its free and only requires giving them a phone number. The cashier told me they give out coupons like this all the time for new game releases. And the coupons can be combined as well.

Jeels

Dreamwriter said:

I understand what you are saying, I guess I can appreciate that. Guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. For me, the pixelation of the jaggies are just too distracting. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Jackano said:
There is a secret about those statues if you look closer to the mark on it.

The one near Link's house is a brand-new one, it's the Super Guide that Miyamoyo wanted to add since this leak about "Legend of OO" ^^

Hmm, yeah, it says something about a fairy living inside. Guess I'll have to find out, thx :).

Arren

So, I just read that the italian translation is unfortunately quite awful.

Just to name one example, they preserved a localization error that had already appeared in the italian version of Twilight Princess and that, regardless of any standpoint you could assume, doesn't make any sense: Kakariko -> Calbarico.

That brings forth a small tecnical question: does the game allow to set the specific language of its text, indipendently of the general language chosen in the 3DS system menu?

Top Bottom