• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

TheExodu5

Banned
I've said it before: I could never play the original due to the framerate. In fact, I can't play the vast majority of N64 games because of the framerate. Most N64 games are actually locked at 20fps, which makes them pretty unplayable by today's console gamer standards, and never playable by any PC gamer standards.

darkpaladinmfc said:
It doesn't take out any detail, unless sub-par AA is used (like MSAA).
Yes it does, what do you think the whole point of AA is? Regardless of the method used, AA's purpose is to smooth out jagged edges. How can you do that except by filling in the gaps in the jaggies? AA artificially makes a line that's thin enough to create jagged edges thicker, obstructing detail and lowering sharpness. At a decent resolution, it isn't covering up hardly any detail and the screen is also sharp enough that the lines can be blurred enough to not lower sharpness much at all. But when you are talking about a vertical screen resolution of only 240 pixels, every lost pixel of detail noticably lowers detail.

Jackano said:
There is a secret about those statues if you look closer to the mark on it.

The one near Link's house is a brand-new one, it's the Super Guide that Miyamoyo wanted to add since this leak about "Legend of OO" ^^
Also when you die the option of "visions" appear which can show you how to complete the next step if you are stuck.

Arren said:
So, I just read that the italian translation is unfortunately quite awful.

Just to name one example, they preserved a localization error that had already appeared in the italian version of Twilight Princess and that, regardless of any standpoint you could assume, doesn't make any sense: Kakariko -> Calbarico.

That brings forth a small tecnical question: does the game allow to set the specific language of its text, indipendently of the general language chosen in the 3DS system menu?
I'm not really up on Italian, but I do have a question: how can the name of a village be a mistranslation? Did Kakariko actually mean something in Italian?

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh, btw...3D doesn't necessarily run worse than 2D + AA. I just got to a section in Hyrule Field where the framerate drops below 30fps in 2D mode, but stays smooth in 3D. So, it depends on the scene.

Interestingly, trees are significantly less aliased in 2D mode...this means this is more than simple MSAA.

Also, the game is triple buffered. When in 2D mode and the framerate drops below 30fps, it's pretty easy to feel the triple buffered frame skips (as the interval in between unique frames is uneven, resulting in a slight judder).

edit: don't take this as any indication that the game runs below 30fps. The framerate in this game is very stable.

Willy105 said:
This is a gross overreaction. Not even close.

A 20fps game today would feel unplayable to me. Even GTA IV has a higher framerate than that, and it's barely playable.

Maybe an overreaction, but it doesn't change the fact that N64 games have aged very poorly as a result.

McNum

Hmm, I am amazed at how well OoT works with burst playing. As in play an hour and get something done, then put the 3DS away. Never played it like that before.

Just finished up the
Fire
Temple, and I've gotten my Zelda groove back now.
Volvagia
didn't land a single blow on Link. It was actually kind of a sad fight against the
Arwing in dragon's clothes
. Then I promptly managed to fall in the lava outside the temple. Smooth. I can take out a boss unharmed, but a static obstacle is beyond my skills.

Ah well, tormorrow I brave the infamous...
Water Temple. After the Ice Cave
, of course.

Kaijima said:
As far as I'm concerned this is the finest presentation of a classic game, ever. They truly nailed exactly which elements to upgrade or refresh, to the right degree, and what to leave alone.

100% definitive version of Ocarina of Time doubleplus true forever.

This warms my heart.

A few more days before my copy gets here.

WillyFive

TheExodu5 said:
A 20fps game today would feel unplayable to me. Even GTA IV has a higher framerate than that, and it's barely playable.

Maybe an overreaction, but it doesn't change the fact that N64 games have aged very poorly as a result.

You certainly have a more extreme reaction to framerate than others.

Besides, the lack of detail in graphics from that era made the framerate less of a problem, because you could still keep track of what you were doing without a smooth framerate. With today's games, where the whole screen is full of visual information, a bad framerate will make you lose track of things on the screen, and then it will truly make it unplayable.

Arren

Dreamwriter said:
I'm not really up on Italian, but I do have a question: how can the name of a village be a mistranslation?
It can be perfectly be a mistranslation if the localized name completely strays from the original material.

Translating (even a name) doesn't mean making something up just for the sake of it. It's a delicate process that should always keep a respectful adherence to how the things you're translating were actually intended by their authors.

Even if Kakariko doesn't mean anything specific in Italian, that doesn't really allow anyone to change it (or any other name or notion for that matter) completely at the will of the translator's arbitrary taste.

Has there ever been a complete list of the people
who didn't make it out of Castle Town? I always wondered that when I played this as a kid. I forgot the bitchy dog lady makes it. Too bad :lol

EDIT:
Notice how there's no grown up version of any of the kid NPCs? Like the girl who would chase the dog or even the kid who was in the gaveyard in Kakariko? :(

TheExodu5

Banned
Willy105 said:
You certainly have a more extreme reaction to framerate than others.

Besides, the lack of detail in graphics from that era made the framerate less of a problem, because you could still keep track of what you were doing without a smooth framerate. With today's games, where the whole screen is full of visual information, a bad framerate will make you lose track of things on the screen, and then it will truly make it unplayable.

In that era it wasn't too bad for most people since there was nothing to compare to. However, I'm sure it was pretty bad for people playing PC games like Half-Life at 30-60fps.

Some games, like StarFox and Mario are fine. I believe Golden Eye's single player is fine (IIRC), but the multiplayer is pretty unplayable today.

But yes, you're right...I do have a pretty high sensitivity to framerate.

TDLink

Just bought this in Montreal. Third store was the charm. Went to two Future Shops and it was sold out but then tried a Game Buzz and bingo. Odd thing is it appears to be a US copy of the game as that large "Fr" indicator isn't on the box. In fact, no notification of it having the french language option is on the box. Pretty Ironic considering it's Montreal but I'm happy that I get the cleaner box art.

Arren said:
It can be perfectly be a mistranslation if the localized name completely strays from the original material.

Translating (even a name) doesn't mean making something up just for the sake of it. It's a delicate process that should always keep a respectful adherence to how the things you're translating were actually intended by their authors.

Even if Kakariko doesn't mean anything specific in Italian, that doesn't really allow anyone to change it (or any other name or notion for that matter) completely at the will of the translator's arbitrary taste.
I disagree. If something is easier to pronounce or just sounds better, then it's a perfectly good translation even if it differs from the original material. Specifically talking about town names, think about Seattle. It was named after a guy whose name is pronounced something like "Shee-ahhh-ptchl", but I don't think many people would call Seattle a "mistranslation".

MrMephistoX

TheExodu5 said:
I've said it before: I could never play the original due to the framerate. In fact, I can't play the vast majority of N64 games because of the framerate. Most N64 games are actually locked at 20fps, which makes them pretty unplayable by today's console gamer standards, and never playable by any PC gamer standards.

Eh you'd be surprised. The first time I played through OOT was on one of the first N64 emulators and that averaged 15 fps with dips to 10fps. I still enjoyed it but I'm pretty sure my standards are higher now ;)

TDLink said:
Just bought this in Montreal. Third store was the charm. Went to two Future Shops and it was sold out but then tried a Game Buzz and bingo. Odd thing is it appears to be a US copy of the game as that large "Fr" indicator isn't on the box. In fact, no notification of it having the french language option is on the box. Pretty Ironic considering it's Montreal but I'm happy that I get the cleaner box art.

Aren't these games region locked?

Code_Link

I don't know if old, but Amazon has the Buy 1, Get 50% deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_bd_BsB!VjlIall-?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000697641&pf_rd_p=441937801&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CB0X61RF6T8M13RFQW8

Roto13

Really playing it fast and loose with the word "unplayable" aren't you? The best game ever will never be unplayable.
Baloonatic said:
Aren't these games region locked?
Canada and the US are the same region.

Rekubot

Nocturnowl said:
I think one of the gossip stones mentioned him being the reincarnation of a sage.
The ancient
spirit
sage would be my guess, considering his appearance there when Link is an adult.

Luigi87

Well that's a nice change in regards to the Skull Kid I only just noticed (possibly mentioned before).

After you give him the Skull Mask, only he wears it, and the other two Skull Kids don't, unlike the original version where the model was the same

wwm0nkey

Luigi87 said:
Well that's a nice change in regards to the Skull Kid I only just noticed (possibly mentioned before).

After you give him the Skull Mask, only he wears it, and the other two Skull Kids don't, unlike the original version where the model was the same
it also seems like Skull kid was given a bit more detail than other NPC's

Arren

Dreamwriter said:
I disagree. If something is easier to pronounce or just sounds better, then it's a perfectly good translation even if it differs from the original material. Specifically talking about town names, think about Seattle. It was named after a guy whose name is pronounced something like "Shee-ahhh-ptchl", but I don't think many people would call Seattle a "mistranslation".
I don't want to cause any derail of this thread, but I think it's interesting to clarify this further.

You see, you're right in stating that certain names can have a different (or even better) phonetical result in regards to how the public perceives them. That difference in ease does increase even more when we compare how different cultures perceive respectively foreign names.

That said, such a difference is nothing but a subjective quality that concerns a perception.

When you deal with something (like a movie, a videogame, a book, any work of art in the broadest sense) that has been created in a certain form and composition, with a certain more or less evident intention, and you need to localize its content, I think it's very important that a good translation always stays faithful to its objective source and merely provides that product in its entirety to a new public, keeping it like it was intended.

Translation isn't the creation of a new work of art, nor is the translator an author.

It's an important principle, because if we concede that anything is changeable in art (again this is used in the broadest and most generic way possible) as long as it is "felt" subjectively better by a specific and arbitrary public, any destructive approach is allowed in the name of a personal sensibility.

Of course, if we put them in perspective, videogames are a trivial matter. But this happens everywhere at much more important levels: cinema, literature, philosophy. And the results of such a logic are more and more destructive everyday.

Dreamwriter said:

I second this. Literal translation is desirable for scientific purpose, but its also a cumbersome and dreadfull thing to do in most other cases.

Also, changing a towns name isn't really mistranslation, especially when the first part of Kaka-riko could be used as shit (hell you could pronounce it as rich shit in italian)

Anyway, even the german version had changes, that made much more sense for pronounciation: Milo became Mido, Saria became Salia, just to name a few.

Arren said:
Translation isn't the creation of a new work of art, nor is the translator an author.

I couldn't disagree more. By simply translating a work, you basically destroy its potential in a different language. Have you ever read Cicero in a literal german translation? Dreadfull stuff. Interesting and important from a scientific and conservatory standpoint, but a complete failure at portraying the original genius of ciceros rethoric in a different language.

I think I could agree with the notion that translation should never start to taint the originals vision, or main subject, but going as far as calling a simple name change that is completely inconsequential to both the lore as the logic of the story, a mistranslation, is a bit of a stretch.

You would have a point if they changed something that would actually interfere with the original intend of the story, or change some things to apease censors in the respective countries (Ghost in the shells menstruation reference that was changed back and forth is a great example on how lines are changed to apease for different moral censorship)

So, wow. I was just looking around the internets at random OoT stuff and came across this pic. As if you needed more evidence that this game was overhauled completely:

QTD02.jpg

I was just there a few minutes ago and it almost looks like a totally different game. Amazing difference. You just don't think about it unless you look at a direct comparison.

Rich!

Kjellson said:
I started Master Quest and died for the first time in at least ten years. And it was inside the bloody Deku Tree! :lol

I didn't die once until I got to the Master Quest. Seriously. Not even Twinrova could touch me.

And guess what? I died in the fucking Deku Tree too. This new master quest is hard...way harder than the GC version. And the mirrored world is fucking with my head to no end.

Medalion

Banned
I just got my hands on a copy of Zelda OOT 3D at EBgames today

The game is awesome, smooth, beautiful

but as some people already pointed out the 3D is really poorly synced... at times I have to turn off 3D because I can see the same image way far over to the left or right and that doesn't seem right

I am used to finding my "sweet spot" for 3DS gaming, this game is really weird in that department

Dartastic

Gaddamn, this game is so good. EEsshshh. And the framerate is so much better now! So glad they decided to port this. 3d and the gyro work pretty great as well. This game... =D

bummyhead

BY2K said:
Gamesradar OoT N64 vs. 3DS Video Comparison.

When seen side by side, you can really see just how god awful the N64 version's framerate is. Good God, I could never go back.

Comment gem:

I have been waiting for a comparison like this.

I was under the impression that the only thing they updated only the textures in the game, and that the geometry (apart from character models) was left the same.

Now I am not so sure. It does look like they tweaked it a bit in some areas, like tree stumps, etc, though I suppose it could just be the top notch textures.

I am saddened by the change in tone for the intro though. While overall I appreciate the more vibrant pallette, the intro has indeed lost something in the translation.

And it's a minor issue, but I don't know why they changed the way the logo appears. In the N64 version the outline flames appear first, and then the logo fades in over top. On 3DS its' the opposite. It was much more effective before, seems like a strange change to make.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ganon's Castle is probably the best looking dungeon in the game. I mean GODDAMN, the update it got!

DAT RAINBOW BRIDGE!

Cynosure

Medalion said:
but as some people already pointed out the 3D is really poorly synced... at times I have to turn off 3D because I can see the same image way far over to the left or right and that doesn't seem right

I am used to finding my "sweet spot" for 3DS gaming, this game is really weird in that department

When I started, I found myself forcing the use of 3D and worrying if it would get any better. Most of Deku Tree dungeon was a blur. It was about until I got the second jewel that my eyes started to adjust properly with the 3D.

The game is awesome so far. My only minor problem is with the precision of the pad when I'm aiming.

Hey, I just discovered something!

Remember all the comparisons people were doing before the game came out with pre-release screenshots, all going "hey this doesn't look that updated, doesn't look very new at all?"

Obviously those people were wrong from the start, but it turns out that those screens were actually worse than the final game we got!

Look at this fence:

Fa5LG.jpg

Left is original, center is pre-release screen, right is a photo I just took. Maybe you can't tell easily from the photo, but besides looking totally different, the fence is also fully 3D - every post is actually a post. I'm pretty sure the center screen shows a flat texture fence like in the original.

Now I wonder what other differences we'll be able to find comparing old screens to the actual game...

bummyhead

The Lamp said:
I saw the pictures. Do the icicles serve any purpose or are they just aesthetic improvements to the otherwise black-walled N64 version?

Nothing you say is really disputing what I said. When I said they remade it to be the "same" I was obviously meaning (and later clarified) that they remade it but by ONLY improving the graphics and aesthetics--they didn't add any real new content.

That's what a remake is. You're not supposed to change the game when you remake it, unless it's a terrible game, why would you? And if it's a terrible game, why would you remake it in the first place?

Honestly, some people are so stupid.

Top Bottom