• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

bummyhead

UncleSporky said:
Hey, I just discovered something!

Remember all the comparisons people were doing before the game came out with pre-release screenshots, all going "hey this doesn't look that updated, doesn't look very new at all?"

Obviously those people were wrong from the start, but it turns out that those screens were actually worse than the final game we got!

Look at this fence:

Fa5LG.jpg

Left is original, center is pre-release screen, right is a photo I just took. Maybe you can't tell easily from the photo, but besides looking totally different, the fence is also fully 3D - every post is actually a post. I'm pretty sure the center screen shows a flat texture fence like in the original.

Now I wonder what other differences we'll be able to find comparing old screens to the actual game...

Confirmed. Geometry has been updated in places, this is not just a texture swap.

Great catch.

BTW, apparently the music did receive an upgrade, and while the composer initially remixed the tunes, he was instructed to go back and make them sound like the originals. :( But, at least it seems they were given higher quality samples.

Aeana

This may have already been covered in the thread, but I'm finding that sometimes the 3D is messed up, and turning the slider off and then back on again seems to fix it. In particular, this fixed a double vision issue I had at the very beginning in Link's house where his bed was all wonky, and just now it fixed a problem I was having with weird-looking text in Kakariko village.

Rich!

Easy_D said:
That would make me so god damn happy. I can deal with OOT's framerate, but Majora is just atrocious.

I just hooked up my 64 and played a bit (heh, was quicksaved outside the swamp temple).

The framerate IS horrendous, holy fuck

bummyhead

BY2K said:
Ganon's Castle is probably the best looking dungeon in the game. I mean GODDAMN, the update it got!

DAT RAINBOW BRIDGE!

I want screens because my girlfriend won't let me buy a 3DS yet..... :(

Please, even camera shots would be nice.

Aeana said:
This may have already been covered in the thread, but I'm finding that sometimes the 3D is messed up, and turning the slider off and then back on again seems to fix it. In particular, this fixed a double vision issue I had at the very beginning in Link's house where his bed was all wonky, and just now it fixed a problem I was having with weird-looking text in Kakariko village.
Twice now, the slider has actually stopped working for me - the game was stuck on full 3D.

Closing the DS and opening it again was all it took to fix it each time.

Also just now I was playing at half strength and text was a big garbled/aliased, and briefly tweaking the slider fixed that.

Kjellson

richisawesome said:
I didn't die once until I got to the Master Quest. Seriously. Not even Twinrova could touch me.

And guess what? I died in the fucking Deku Tree too. This new master quest is hard...way harder than the GC version. And the mirrored world is fucking with my head to no end.
Glad I'm not the only one, lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just got the game today...already made it through the Deku Tree.

Really fun...my favorite little touch so far is when you get to Castle Town, and wandering around the back alley which automatically switches views.

bummyhead

BY2K said:
Nintendo is the only company that would release screens that would make the game look uglier than it is.

Dem be crazy and stuff.

IIRC, Nintendo did not release those screens, they were leaked ahead of time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PKrockin said:
MAJORA'S MASK REMAKE CONFIRMED
*huff puff* Did... someone say... MAJORA'S MASK REMAKE?!

...Oh. I want one, though. A remake of my favourite Zelda title would fill me with glee.

Aeana said:
Yes, I've gotten a few double vision issues myself. It seems the most common one reported in the thread is this one, after the Gohma battle:

photo.jpg

I've decided to play with the 3D off, and only turn it on during cutscenes (mostly because my eyes can't really handle it, and also because of this issue that sometimes crops up).

Alrus

richisawesome said:
I didn't die once until I got to the Master Quest. Seriously. Not even Twinrova could touch me.

And guess what? I died in the fucking Deku Tree too. This new master quest is hard...way harder than the GC version. And the mirrored world is fucking with my head to no end.

Twinrova is supposed to be hard?

Anyway, gonna let the game rest a bit and start the Master Quest in a few days, can't wait to see if I can handle the challenge. (The game being really easy made me quite sloppy, as I didn't care much if I got hit).

XxCGSxX

Aeana said:
When I was talking to the sleeping dude at the ranch the screen tried to focus by itself kinda like the slider when you adjust it manually and the 3d was all screwed up but when I finished talking with him it fixed by itself.

I will not play Majora's Mask again until the remake, I will not play Majora's Mask again until the remake, I will not play Majora's Mask again until the remake.... *clutches Wind Waker while crying in the fetal position*

Kard8p3

BY2K said:
Ganon's Castle is probably the best looking dungeon in the game. I mean GODDAMN, the update it got!

DAT RAINBOW BRIDGE!

Once you've finished give details on the graphical updates of the final battles if you don't mind my Ghirihimian brother.

Rich!

Alrus said:
Twinrova is supposed to be hard?

Whats easy for yourself may be hard for someone else.

I can beat Bongo Bongo, Volvagia and even Ganondorf in literal seconds, yet I find Twinrova tricky. Maybe it's because every time I have replayed the game over the last decade, I always stop before the Spirit Temple? Would explain why I was confused when I got to the end of the temple and realised there wasn't a room with lots of mirrors, like in Wind Waker.

Aeana

Dark Schala said:
Yes, I've gotten a few double vision issues myself. It seems the most common one reported in the thread is this one, after the Gohma battle:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h348/PewPewK/photo.jpg[img]

I've decided to play with the 3D off, and only turn it on during cutscenes (mostly because my eyes can't really handle it, and also because of this issue that sometimes crops up).[/QUOTE]
I'd read about the issues, but not of any fixes. From the way people were talking, it sounded like things were stuck that way. I was just saying that it seems to be pretty easy to fix and not all that inconvenient. Not enough of a hardship to keep the 3D off.

-PXG-

As much as I am liking this, a Majora's Mask remake would blow this out of the fucking water. I really hope Nintendo get it's head out of it's ass and does that game proper justice. Make that shit happen.

OoT is the prequel/ demo to the superior MM :p

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Thank you Amazon/UPS gods for getting the game to me today.

I just got to Goron City before my battery went low. So far, I am loving every single moment. It's getting better by the minute, especially since the Deku Tree was a little boring (it's the one OoT dungeon I know like the back of my hand even after having not played the game in years). The animations for the ocarina songs are beautiful in 3D, and I can definitely tell they redid the songs to make it sound more like an ocarina playing.

The only complaint I would have is my hand getting cramped from a long session, but that's my fault for not wanting to put it down.

EDIT: I would have to disagree with remaking MM. I would rather have a brand new 3DS Zelda. They should go all out with its own art style and game mechanics. While WW visuals are nice, I think it's time to take a break from them.

wwm0nkey

-PXG- said:
As much as I am liking this, a Majora's Mask remake would blow this out of the fucking water. I really hope Nintendo get it's head out of it's ass and does that game proper justice. Make that shit happen.

Well considering the fact that Skull Kid was updated more than most NPC's and MM is a direct sequel of OoT....we will probably see a remake.

In playing this game more, I think they should have at least done more to the music. I think of another game that received a port, and just think that going the route of giving the game a pop-vocal inspired musical direction would have made this Ocarina of Time 3D even more exciting. The thought of crossing the lengthy Hyrulian Field with some pop inspired music choice would have been refreshing, cool, and modern.

Oh and a journal feature to remind me of what I did last when I boot up the game from fresh would have been helpful instead of starting me back in my house, without full magic. There are so many things that ruin the portability of this title, little things they could have changed.

Busaiku

Aeana said:
Happens with me in the entrance to Castle Town.

Dedication Through Light said:
In playing this game more, I think they should have at least done more to the music. I think of another game that received a port, and just think that going the route of giving the game a pop-vocal inspired musical direction would have made this Ocarina of Time 3D even more exciting. The thought of crossing the lengthy Hyrulian Field with some pop inspired music choice would have been refreshing, cool, and modern.

Oh and a journal feature to remind me of what I did last when I boot up the game from fresh would have been helpful instead of starting me back in my house, without full magic. There are so many things that ruin the portability of this title, little things they could have changed.
You were doing a decent job at walking that fine troll line. Here, you jumped right over.

ksamedi

MasterShotgun said:
Thank you Amazon/UPS gods for getting the game to me today.

I just got to Goron City before my battery went low. So far, I am loving every single moment. It's getting better by the minute, especially since the Deku Tree was a little boring (it's the one OoT dungeon I know like the back of my hand even after having not played the game in years). The animations for the ocarina songs are beautiful in 3D, and I can definitely tell they redid the songs to make it sound more like an ocarina playing.

The only complaint I would have is my hand getting cramped from a long session, but that's my fault for not wanting to put it down.

EDIT: I would have to disagree with remaking MM. I would rather have a brand new 3DS Zelda. They should go all out with its own art style and game mechanics. While WW visuals are nice, I think it's time to take a break from them.

I think all post SNES Zelda's have boring first hours and it gets worse with every new iteration. TP has like a boring first 4 hours before the game really picks up. I hope they break the trend with Skyward Sword.

Aeana

Well, you caught a bunch of people with your other posts, but now I hope it will be obvious to people that you're just trying to be like AstroLad.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
Well, you caught a bunch of people with your other posts, but now I hope it will be obvious to people that you're just trying to be like AstroLad.

At least others are finally catching onto his charade.

bummyhead

richisawesome said:
Whats easy for yourself may be hard for someone else.

I can beat Bongo Bongo, Volvagia and even Ganondorf in literal seconds, yet I find Twinrova tricky. Maybe it's because every time I have replayed the game over the last decade, I always stop before the Spirit Temple? Would explain why I was confused when I got to the end of the temple and realised there wasn't a room with lots of mirrors, like in Wind Waker.

Now I don't remember Twintova, but Volvagia pissed me off on my recent trip down memory lane on Wii. Its seems virtually impossible to avoid it's attacks. Also it's name sounds like something a woman would buy in a drugstore.

I also found that a couple of the sub bosses were actually harder and more annoying than the end bosses.

Tucah

you speak so well

You have to be a troll because this is easily one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
I'd read about the issues, but not of any fixes. From the way people were talking, it sounded like things were stuck that way. I was just saying that it seems to be pretty easy to fix and not all that inconvenient. Not enough of a hardship to keep the 3D off.
Ah, I need to read better (though it doesn't help that I'm scanning documents while posting, lol). Still... my eyes can't really handle the 3D 100% of the time (it's just my eye issues), but at least the double vision issues seem to be fixable. I had thought that they were stuck that way myself.

-PXG- said:

You're the best. I can only imagine how awesome Majora's Mask's remake would be. Mirrored Master Quest of that game would be a wonderful treat. I'm liking Ocarina of Time a lot, but I really want to see Majora's Mask too. Also, OT: Your avatar. That cake. Oh God... *goes into another laughing fit over SEGA of America's Sonic Boom cake* It feels like I can't get away from that thing.

I think of another game that received a port, and just think that going the route of giving the game a pop-vocal inspired musical direction would have made this Ocarina of Time 3D even more exciting. The thought of crossing the lengthy Hyrulian Field with some pop inspired music choice would have been refreshing, cool, and modern.
Oh wow. Trolling at its finest here. :lol

Luigi87

wwm0nkey said:
Well considering the fact that Skull Kid was updated more than most NPC's and MM is a direct sequel of OoT....we will probably see a remake.

Cuccoo Lady/Anju also looks much improved (in comparison to say, the Carpenters), and well she is certainly one of the most important NPCs for MM.

... Gotta keep hoping.

to prevent people from reading this post, here's a dog on a mower

xH2xS.gif

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Aeana said:
I think you, much like myself, can easily spot a mishap or inconsistency with font. I've caught text appearing very grainy sometimes when I awake the game from sleep mode. It almost looks like the text is a mixture of 2D and 3D. Turning off the 3D and then right back on again fixes the problem, which has only appeared like three times in my playthrough thus far.

Medalion

Banned
bummyhead said:
Confirmed. Geometry has been updated in places, this is not just a texture swap.

Great catch.

BTW, apparently the music did receive an upgrade, and while the composer initially remixed the tunes, he was instructed to go back and make them sound like the originals. :( But, at least it seems they were given higher quality samples.
The music is exactly the same... the only diff is the midi sampler for the 3DS is not the same as the N64 one so it is the same files, but some instrumentation is missing or doesn't sound 100% the same

wwm0nkey

Luigi87 said:
Cuccoo Lady/Anju also looks much improved (in comparison to say, the Carpenters), and well she is certainly one of the most important NPCs for MM.

... Gotta keep hoping.
Yeah her too. I can easily see a MM remake happening.

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah her too. I can easily see a MM remake happening.
Oh, it has to happen. I just fear that people will not warm up to the save system and especially the time system. But whatevs, I still need MM 3DS.

bummyhead

Medalion said:
The music is exactly the same... the only diff is the midi sampler for the 3DS is not the same as the N64 one so it is the same files, but some instrumentation is missing or doesn't sound 100% the same

Uh yeah, precisely what I just said. *shakes head*

Kard8p3

Medalion said:

I could've sworn they said in an Iwata Asks that they had to do the music from the ground up to sound like the 64 version.

Gravijah said:
ot, but dwelling of duels has had some awesome tracks in it's history (though this one not so much). You have to look a bit, and it's got it's fair share of stinkers and "I'm just gonna play the lost woods theme on my distortion pedal guitar and add in a drum machine backing" type songs, but the good ones on there are absolutely fantastic.

Also, more comparison pics/vids nao

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
Naw, dude. More dubstep, house and trance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSkW_Wk1XTs

I am not being serious. There is no way would I allow that in Zelda unless it's in jest or if it suits the scene.

needs more wobble bass

CrunchyFrog said:
ot, but dwelling of duels has had some awesome tracks in it's history. You have to look a bit, and it's got it's fair share of stinkers and "I'm just gonna play the lost woods theme on my distortion pedal guitar and add in a drum machine backing" type songs, but the good ones on there are absolutely fantastic.

Also, more comparison pics/vids nao

virt is amazing, the song is good even if i was being sarcastic. ;p

bummyhead

Kard8p3 said:
I could've sworn they said in an Iwata Asks that they had to do the music from the ground up to sound like the 64 version.

You correct. The composer in charge initially remixed the tracks, and presumably, improved them, and was subsequently instructed to go back and "make them sound like the original".

Top Bottom