• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Roto13

Why would you do that? said:
Yeah, for the saw. The carpenter on the other side gives you the broken knife in exchange. It would be cool if you could go across the valley as soon as you reach adulthood, though. Would be fun to play the whole game with the sword.
You caaaaaaan, read my edit. :p

Yeah, for the saw. The carpenter on the other side gives you the broken knife in exchange. It would be cool if you could go across the valley as soon as you reach adulthood, though. Would be fun to play the whole game with the sword.

So uh why not just use Epona?

jonno394

I wonder if Nintendo have any surprises in store for people who finish the Master Quest? Anyone on their way to finishing MQ yet?

Android18a said:
So uh why not just use Epona?
Actually, I didn't know until Roto13's edit.

Despite me beating it like 10 times, OoT is truly a game where I learn something new about it all the time. For instance, I didn't learn about the Forest Stage until a few years back.

olimpia84

3DS get! Got one on my lunch break so I will start playing either tonight or tomorrow. Seriously Nintendo, fuck you for making me spend $250 to play a game that I already beat a bunch of times =/

I thought that using ol' Epona was the only way to cross there. :O Regardless, it's probably how they wanted you to do it to begin with, since they even give you a little cutscene and everything.

kiryogi

Banned
No, this has to be like people getting their memories mixed up. I'm positive he didn't have z-targetting idle animation until Twilight Princess. (Or maybe Wind Waker?)

Omikaru

So I just finished the main story, and this game is just as wonderful as it was all those years ago. It's aged exceptionally well, and I'm really happy with the result.

In fact, I want more. I haven't felt like that about a game in a long time, so I'm very tempted to do Master Quest. I don't normally play a game after the credits roll (Pokémon notwithstanding), so the fact that I'm gagging for more is shocking for me.

In short: Great game, I want more. :D

Actually, I didn't know until Roto13's edit.

Despite me beating it like 10 times, OoT is truly a game where I learn something new about it all the time. For instance, I didn't learn about the Forest Stage until a few years back.
What about it??

FyreWulff

kiryogi said:
No, this has to be like people getting their memories mixed up. I'm positive he didn't have z-targetting idle animation until Twilight Princess. (Or maybe Wind Waker?)

Pretty sure he did a simple two-foot shuffle in the original OoT. You can see it best here. (Yeah, I know it's a video of a mod, but that's only for the targeting graphic itself)

edit: oh, you mean the sword twirl? I'd don't think it was there in the original.

Willy105 said:
Why is the quality of a Zelda opening being judged on how fast you get to the first dungeon?
Because some strange people wish the game was all dungeon and nothing else... They feel if they aren't in a dungeon, then the game hasn't really started yet.

Disguises

kiryogi said:
Is it me or did they add a sword twirl animation to adult Link during Z-targetting? Could have swore that was first in Twilight Princess and being amazed by such a little nuance.
Yep, that seems new, don't remember it in the original anyway.

BY2K said:
Glitch: Starting the game with the Master Sword has Young Link.

The guy just started a new game after finishing the game once and he started with the Master Sword.

This game has a little too much glitches for my tastes...

And what kind of glitches are you referring to exactly that offend your tastes? I can't see how glitches that require effort to accomplish have ANY impact on your experience, unless you are referring to some OTHER sorts of glitches at which I could understand, but I'm having a totally glitch free time, at least in the sense of experiencing glitches in traditional play (unless you count a thing like Link doing his 360 spins in dungeons as some kind of game deterring glitch..). So I'd really like you to expound upon this a bit.

So I got me that $20 promotional credit from Amazon for OoT3D for 3DS games. However, I have no idea if it will work on later 3DS games as they are released, and I don't really want anything that they have available. So, anyone willing to trade $20.00 real money for the $20 promotional credit? I know that it's only of real benefit for me if you were to do this, but it would be of no disadvantage to you! :>

I'm not sure what you mean...

I didn't know about the existence of the "Forest Stage" at all.
Are you talking about the Forest Temple, the first dungeon after you become an adult, or something entirely different?

OMG Aero

The Forest Stage is at the bottom of a hole in the Lost Woods. It's where you show the Deku Scrubs different masks to get Deku Stick and Nut upgrades.

OMG Aero said:
The Forest Stage is at the bottom of a hole in the Lost Woods. It's where you show the Deku Scrubs different masks to get Deku Stick and Nut upgrades.
Crazy...are the upgrades simply in the amount you can carry or do they become more powerful?

So I used the glitch to leave the forest before getting a sword, shield, or Kokiri Emerald. So now I'm at Zelda and she's asking if I have the Spiritual Stone, I keep telling her no, and she keeps telling me to tell the truth.

The Lamonster said:
Crazy...are the upgrades simply in the amount you can carry or do they become more powerful?
I don't actually remember, but I think it's just amounts.

BY2K

Membero Americo
DownLikeBCPowder said:
And what kind of glitches are you referring to exactly that offend your tastes? I can't see how glitches that require effort to accomplish have ANY impact on your experience, unless you are referring to some OTHER sorts of glitches at which I could understand, but I'm having a totally glitch free time, at least in the sense of experiencing glitches in traditional play (unless you count a thing like Link doing his 360 spins in dungeons as some kind of game deterring glitch..). So I'd really like you to expound upon this a bit.

In 3D, there is a LOT of times where the camera, when I'm close to a wall, would go through that wall and I could see out of the game's world.

It's just a minor annoyance.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
playing this game, boy have I gotten worse at exploration games or do newer games hold your hand a hell of a lot more?...

either way, I like it so far, worried about how pick up and play this is, it takes time to get anywhere, I want to play this on my commute to and from work sometimes backtracking and what not takes up a lot of time, having to save, close and restart later may break my flow a bit..but will persevere..

Dartastic

Cousin wants this, and wants a deal. What are the best deals going on right now?

A Link to the Snitch said:
So I got me that $20 promotional credit from Amazon for OoT3D for 3DS games. However, I have no idea if it will work on later 3DS games as they are released, and I don't really want anything that they have available. So, anyone willing to trade $20.00 real money for the $20 promotional credit? I know that it's only of real benefit for me if you were to do this, but it would be of no disadvantage to you! :>
Just do what multiple people in this thread have done. Order something, say that the credit wouldn't apply to your game, and ask them to put it on. Problem solved.

Skilletor

Willy105 said:
Why is the quality of a Zelda opening being judged on how fast you get to the first dungeon?

Because some of us don't want to tread through hours of tutorials and fetch quests until we can get to the real game.

I stopped playing TP because its opening was horrible and unfun.

Rich!

Skilletor said:
Because some of us don't want to tread through hours of tutorials and fetch quests until we can get to the real game.

Yep. My ranking of a few Zelda games based on their openings, here are the top three best:

1. Link to the Past. It's moody, dark and as soon as you enter the castle courtyard, it's fucking on.

2. Zelda 1. ITS DANGEROUS TO GO A-LOL

3. Ocarina of Time. No real bullshit. Find your sword, buy a shield and then enter the deku tree.

Honourable mention goes to Majora's Mask (my favourite Zelda ever) - you're treated to a cutscene, followed by a much darker one. You get turned into a Deku. You meet the freaky-as-fuck Mask salesman, and then you're in Clock Town. You look at the timer, and then the scary-ass Moon. And then you fucking panic.

And the bottom three:

1. Twilight Princess. What a fucking dull piece of shit the first hour is.

2. Wind Waker. Superb game, but everything up until Dragon Roost Island bores the hell out of me.

3. Link's Awakening.
Again, great game - but the intro is quite dull for myself. Everything from Tail Cave onwards is AWESOME though.

Muskweeto

Skilletor said:

This I agree with, I Liked TP, but I could have liked it a LOT more if the story progression was more fluid.
Remembering how the game progresses during the first three dungeons stops me from starting a new game.

Rich!

Muskweeto said:
This I agree with, I Liked TP, but I could have liked it a LOT more if the story progression was more fluid.
Remembering how the game progresses during the first three dungeons stops me from starting a new game.

Yep. I always start a new game, skip through the cutscenes and then realise I'm going to be unable to skip through the fetch quest in the village. And not only that - that fetch quest is immediately followed by the tears of light fetch quest if I remember correctly. Fuck that shit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Am I the only one not minding at all the pre-first dungeon segment? I agree TP's dragged, but still, I don't hate that.

BY2K said:
Am I the only one not minding at all the pre-first dungeon segment? I agree TP's dragged, but still, I don't hate that.
The only thing I hated about it were the tears of light and the fact that you had to play the goat minigame twice. besides that, I liked it too.

Skilletor

richisawesome said:
Yep. My ranking of a few Zelda games based on their openings, here are the top three best:

1. Link to the Past. It's moody, dark and as soon as you enter the castle courtyard, it's fucking on.

3. Ocarina of Time. No real bullshit. Find your sword, buy a shield and then enter the deku tree.

This is my first time completing Ocarina. I've started it a couple times and never finished. I can agree with this, though. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to go hunt down chickens/cattle/whatever, save a troubled marriage, or fetch some stupid cat, before I got to actually play the game.

LttP is definitely my all time favorite, though. One of my fav games ever.

Futureman

Effect said:
Nintendo of America has put up a comparison picture showing the differences between the N64 and the 3DS versions. - http://twitpic.com/5ew4jd

wow. Really didn't remember how bad the character models used to be. The close up of Link holding the Ocarina looks hilarious on the N64 verison.

BTW, OOT 3D is the top selling game on Amazon right now and the black 3DS is in the top 20 for all videogame items. SYSTEM SELLAH.

richisawesome said:

This list is right on the money. It's not that having slowly ramping up action is bad, it's that there are better ways to keep the player engaged than how TP did it. It was easily the worst, uncharacteristically poor opening for a Zelda title.

Muskweeto

The iron boots as an item and the faster movement in the water has removed everything I hated about the water temple.

One thing about the temple though,
I may be remembering wrong, but did they move the time block behind the chest where you get the longshot from being level with the ground to above the ground?

ksamedi

Dreamwriter said:
Because some strange people wish the game was all dungeon and nothing else... They feel if they aren't in a dungeon, then the game hasn't really started yet.

That's not true at all. Most people just love exploring and finding interesting spots in Zelda. TP, MM, and WW all do that, but you have to get well into the game before you do. OOT starts out pretty boring as well, but it really doesn't last as long as the others I mentioned. If I speak for myself, I hate tutorials within games so that's what bugs me the most.

TheExodu5

Banned
richisawesome said:

Honourable mention goes to Majora's Mask (my favourite Zelda ever) - you're treated to a cutscene, followed by a much darker one. You get turned into a Deku. You meet the freaky-as-fuck Mask salesman, and then you're in Clock Town. You look at the timer, and then the scary-ass Moon. And then you fucking panic.

And the bottom three:

1. Twilight Princess. What a fucking dull piece of shit the first hour is.

2. Wind Waker. Superb game, but everything up until Dragon Roost Island bores the hell out of me.

3. Link's Awakening.
Again, great game - but the intro is quite dull for myself. Everything from Tail Cave onwards is AWESOME though.

Agree. While I've never played through any of the titles but LttP, I've played through all their openings (except for Zelda 1/2). LttP is impossible to beat. It would be one of my all time favorite video game openings. The music, the atmosphere, the mystery. It's just incredibly brisk and just dumps you right into the game.

I just played through a bit of Link's Awakening, and I didn't find it so bad. I don't like that it starts in a town, but I'd put it just below Ocarina of Time. The Minish Cap was worse, from what I recall.

Twilight Princess just pisses me off. I tried playing through it, and the pacing is so terrible I just can't go through with it. It's far more than just an hour, as well, if you include the absolutely awful wolf segment.

JasoNsider said:
This list is right on the money. It's not that having slowly ramping up action is bad, it's that there are better ways to keep the player engaged than how TP did it. It was easily the worst, uncharacteristically poor opening for a Zelda title.

It's the second worst video game opening I've experienced. The worst would be Kingdom Hearts 2.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
WTF at the ad on this page:

eA6ST.jpg

rhino4evr

Finally got to dig in to my copy. Made it a little past meeting Zelda..and then just decided to explore. Part of what the game fun is that there seems to be secrets in almost every room. If not multiple secrets. just exploring the Lost Woods granted me all kinds of stuff and I haven't really tried that hard.

The 3D is really cool..and the motion controls help more then harm.

Overall I'm really impressed.

ksamedi said:
That's not true at all. Most people just love exploring and finding interesting spots in Zelda. TP, MM, and WW all do that, but you have to get well into the game before you do. OOT starts out pretty boring as well, but it really doesn't last as long as the others I mentioned. If I speak for myself, I hate tutorials within games so that's what bugs me the most.
I count exploring a town and talking to people and doing quests as gameplay (people here have actually said that fetch quests aren't real gameplay!) You don't have to get well into games like MM for that. It's only the super long forced (and yet poorly setup, so I wasted a half hour trying to wrangle the dang goats) tutorial section in TP that I found horrible.

I mean, reading this thread, a number of people *are* saying that it takes too long to get to the first dungeon, are complaining about how the game tries to tell story and send them on fetch quests before a dungeon. They obviously only want dungeons and nothing else - they don't want Zelda but a game that is all dungeons (Diablo?)

Wow!!! The storyline just got epic! Kind of confused at the details, but the scene with Link and that master sword looked epic in 3D, simply stunning! Terrible fate he had, but wow, cool character design.

Xamdou

I don't have a 3DS right now but I think I will buy the game to get the soundtrack. If the soundtrack provides me with enough n64 link/zelda/epona nostalgia in music form then maybe I'd consider getting a 3DS.

Somnid

Xamdou said:
I don't have a 3DS right now but I think I will buy the game to get the soundtrack. If the soundtrack provides me with enough n64 link/zelda/epona nostalgia in music form then maybe I'd consider getting a 3DS.

Soundtrack deal has already ended.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Xamdou said:

Soundtracks no longer available online.

SmithnCo

Xamdou said:

Are soundtracks still being given out somewhere? They stopped doing it in NA, I was a tad too late to get one.

Poyunch

Aeana said:
I've been really impressed with the upgrades so far, even in the Forest Temple itself almost everything looks way better.

But...

URL]

After Dodongo's Cavern where they upgraded all of the lava and stuff, that's pretty disappointing.
Haha! I forgot what the old room looked like on the N64. I just assumed it was poisonous water or something.

Just started the game. Man, I forgot everything about this game. I started by getting lost in Kakariko and then taking forever to find the sword. Now I just passed the deku tree dungeon and tomorrow I'll start roaming Hyrule field :)

Game is gorgeous and the 3d is really good but the ghosting is almost unavoidable, at least in parts with dark spots, its's very easy to notice how the images are superposing. I hope this does not mean dark games like Resident Evil will be filled with ghosting :( It's not like super distracting but it's noticeable enough to take away a bit of the wow factor for sure.

3DS was ordered and should be arriving tomorrow, and the game sits lonely on my desk. I can't wait to start it after reading all these impressions, though I've beaten it countless times.

Top Bottom