• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

amtentori said:
reading impressions highlights were TP falls short.

There are just so many small memorable moments and characters scattered in the world throughout OOT .

To be fair there was a lot of content in TP - in fact, probably more than Ocarina of time. However, the pacing of TP was the worst in the series and I think it suffered for it. This game has an excellent introduction and keeps that pacing throughout.

dallow_bg said:
For some reason Amazon gave me the $20 and another $10 credit. I didn't have either one earlier today.
Got my free Monkey Ball, so I have another $8 in credit I guess to use by Sep. 30th.

Is there a way to check how much credit you got without going through checkout?

SmithnCo

ashbash159 said:
Is it where you pull the block until it sinks into the ground so you can't move it any more. Then you have to have the water risen to the middle, have to shoot an arrow in the eye to open the gate for you to grapple the grapple point? That grapple point is too far.

That could be it, I guess you may need the dungeon's item. I specifically remember those two as being "off the beaten path" of the temple. So I always make a note about them when I play that temple, lol. Other than that I don't remember much about the other keys.

Roto13

OOT is the only 3D Zelda where it takes less than an hour or two to get to the first dungeon. That's something they need to work on. Hopefully Skyward Sword will have better pacing.

Roto13 said:
OOT is the only 3D Zelda where it takes less than an hour or two to get to the first dungeon. That's something they need to work on. Hopefully Skyward Sword will have better pacing.

If it's anything like Minish Cap, it will.

Busaiku

I waste an hour trying to find Ruto, only to find out through a walkthrough that I can carry the boxes.
Man, I am so stupid.

iyox

Are the boxes in Jabu-Jabu's belly a new edition? I don't remember them from the n64 version. Carrying Ruto is a pain and bringing her up a level after she falls through the hole is not really intuitive.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
JasoNsider said:
To be fair there was a lot of content in TP - in fact, probably more than Ocarina of time. However, the pacing of TP was the worst in the series and I think it suffered for it. This game has an excellent introduction and keeps that pacing throughout.

TP took me nearly 45 hours on the clock when I finished. That length had a lot to do with the snail pacing and dull tasks for sure. So many goddamn cutscenes, teardrop hunts, etc...

Dungeons were the only real highlight, as I really didn't care for much else. NPC's, overworld, sidequests, etc... meh.

Just comparing the interaction one has in Kakariko from OoT vs. Kakariko in TP shows quite a divide.

fuck, playing this makes me really want to bust out majora's mask off the zelda collection, but then a part of me is telling me to hold off for the (hopefully) upcoming remake on the 3ds.

Doomboy

Neo Member
How are you meant to aim with the boomerang if you cannot use Z-target on an object e.g. trying to get a piece of heart to return to you?
I cannot see a crosshair anywhere, so are you meant to just guess where the boomerang will fly to if you throw it?

Oh, and Ganondorf's nose in 3D. Omigod.

Talladega Knight said:
fuck, playing this makes me really want to bust out majora's mask off the zelda collection, but then a part of me is telling me to hold off for the (hopefully) upcoming remake on the 3ds.
same.

gimz

man, havent play this game since the N64 days, and now im at the first temple, this temple was bigger than i thought! from the beginning until now i still remember where to go and what to do in this game! now i have to solve the puzzle myself all over again!!

and is it me or did they change the difficulty? i almost died twice in this temple already... i dont remember this game was that hard when i play it when i was a kid

Roto13

Doomboy said:
How are you meant to aim with the boomerang if you cannot use Z-target on an object e.g. trying to get a piece of heart to return to you?
I cannot see a crosshair anywhere, so are you meant to just guess where the boomerang will fly to if you throw it?

Oh, and Ganondorf's nose in 3D. Omigod.

Use Link's ears as crosshairs. :p
Talladega Knight said:
Collector's Edition Majora's Mask is a bad idea anyway. It has a habit of freezing, and it's not like you can save often in Majora's Mask.

ksamedi

Roto13 said:

A Link to the Past did this wonderfully, you started of directly with a dungeon. The best Zelda intro as far as I'm concerned. Start with the action, and get to the story telling later on with small cutscenes or trough NPC's.

Aeana

I've been really impressed with the upgrades so far, even in the Forest Temple itself almost everything looks way better.

But...

Jy7Mb.jpg

After Dodongo's Cavern where they upgraded all of the lava and stuff, that's pretty disappointing.

WillyFive

Aeana said:

It's like they forgot about that room.

Roto13 said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Aeana said:
I've been really impressed with the upgrades so far, even in the Forest Temple itself almost everything looks way better.

But...

Jy7Mb.jpg

After Dodongo's Cavern where they upgraded all of the lava and stuff, that's pretty disappointing.
I think the real question here is why there is a small lava pit in the forest temple anyway, such an out of place room.
Plus the spiky pillars bother me far more than the lava details, it's like they threw a bunch of intimidating things together to try and make the room more interesting considering it's probably the least detailed room in the entire temple.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Naked Snake said:
Is there a way to check how much credit you got without going through checkout?
Normally you can go to say an mp3 download page and hit the link under the "checkout" graphic on the right that states "view your credit balances".

This specific type of credit doesn't seem show up there though. Normally under "Software and Games".

Roto13 said:
That's assuming you prefer the dungeon gameplay over all other types of gameplay in the Zelda games. Personally I prefer exploring and getting into the stories over the dungeons. Thus Majora's Mask's start was great, though it took quite a while to get into the first real dungeon. To me, that game had perfect pacing - just as I was starting to get tired of running around and talking to folks in the town I'd get to the first dungeon, and that dungeon would end just as it was wearing out its welcome, etc.

It's the long extended tutorials like Twilight Princess that need to go away.

Was Wind Waker much better though? First you need to get the telescope, then you need to free Tetra, then you need to do the trials on the ship, then you've got forbidden fortress, then you've gotta do shit in Windfall, then you've gotta go through Dragon Roost Island and do shit there, then finally you're at the first dungeon.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just finished the original quest. A few minor complaints with this version but overall I'm really impressed. It plays well and looks good and I can't wait to start the Master Quest. :D

Ghost23

I just found out that I didn't have the right weapon for those tenicles in Jabu Jabu. Thank god it is so much easier now! Also, what I though was an epic boss ended up being the mid-dungeon boss. I can't imagine what the final boss will be...

ksamedi

_Alkaline_ said:
Was Wind Waker much better though? First you need to get the telescope, then you need to free Tetra, then you need to do the trials on the ship, then you've got forbidden fortress, then you've gotta do shit in Windfall, then you've gotta go through Dragon Roost Island and do shit there, then finally you're at the first dungeon.

That was horrible. The second worst Zelda beginning after TP. It almost killed the game for me. Picks up pretty well later though, just like TP. I don't understand why Nintendo isn't putting more attention to beginning sequence designs.

ksamedi said:
That was horrible. The second worst Zelda beginning after TP. It almost killed the game for me. Picks up pretty well later though, just like TP. I don't understand why Nintendo isn't putting more attention to beginning sequence designs.
They seem to be under the misguided belief that stealth sections are well received or something, if ALTTP was made now we'd probably have to use stealth to get into the courtyard and through the castle itself, the horror!

Jackano

MatthewB92 said:
Start>Option

Also just beat it. Will do master quest later.

Edit:Beaten.

Same here.

So the orchestrated track was precisely for
the extra credits, not the credits themselves

Also, running at 30FPS allow us to do some extra combo. For example I just beat Ganondorf and
in its first form
I was able to at least combo 3 or 4 spin attack with the Biggoron sword. He didn't take much more ^^

Downhome

ksamedi said:

I actually liked the beginning of TP better than the last part. I haven't beat TP yet, I just started playing it the other day to finish it up, and what I have done so far has been so tedious and irritating. The sky dungeon and the twilight dungeon, I'm not much of a fan at all of either of those. I just started the last dungeon, and I can already tell that'll at least be better.

I can't play OoT until the weekend, so I'm trying to beat TP after all the time once and for all to build up anticipation for playing OoT once again (which I never beat back in the day either, stupid Bongo Bongo).

Jackano

ksamedi said:

What kills me the more with TP is that at the beginning, Link have a mission: Bringing a gift to Hyrule for the King's family. Then shit appens, wolf link, Midona etc... And you never heard about the gift anymore. We didn't even knew what actually is the gift, unless I miss something (and will happy to learn about by the way)!

Ainaurdur

Did anybody else get screwed out of the Soundtrack CD offer by the mistake of pre-ordering the game online and having it shipped instead of buying in a store? My copy arrived today and I immediately went to register. I even selected the option in the survey to tell them that I bought it early for the CD offer.

Then I saw the announcement. -.-

Jackano said:
What kills me the more with TP is that at the beginning, Link have a mission: Bringing a gift to Hyrule for the King's family. Then shit appens, wolf link, Midona etc... And you never heard about the gift anymore. We didn't even knew what actually is the gift, unless I miss something (and will happy to learn about by the way)!
Unless my memory is failing me wasn't the gift in fact the sword and shield Link has?

Roto13

Downhome said:
I actually liked the beginning of TP better than the last part. I haven't beat TP yet, I just started playing it the other day to finish it up, and what I have done so far has been so tedious and irritating. The sky dungeon and the twilight dungeon, I'm not much of a fan at all of either of those. I just started the last dungeon, and I can already tell that'll at least be better.

I can't play OoT until the weekend, so I'm trying to beat TP after all the time once and for all to build up anticipation for playing OoT once again (which I never beat back in the day either, stupid Bongo Bongo).
Those two dungeons are awesome. Ganon's Castle is kind of lame, though. It's like "Oh, come on, be over already."

Bongo Bongo is great too. What's wrong with you? :p
The Lamonster said:
At which point in the story will I have access to the upgrades and Biggoron's Sword? That is the most powerful sword, right?

You can get it
as soon as you reach adulthood. You might need Epona. (Pro tip: Do yourself a favour and plant a magic bean at the entrance of Dodongo's Cavern to make the last part of the trading quest easier.

The Lamonster said:
At which point in the story will I have access to the upgrades and Biggoron's Sword? That is the most powerful sword, right?
What upgrades do you mean?

Biggoron Sword: After
Water Temple. At that point, you should have unfrozen King Zora and have the Longshot (to go across Gerudo Valley) which are important for getting the Biggoron Sword.
Double Magic
: Directly after
Fire Temple. It's close by.
Double Health
: After you get an item in the final dungeon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Gah, urge to buy a 3DS now is finally reaching critical levels.

So how has the circle pad been for control? Have people been preferring gyro control over manual aim? Has the 'analog' been nice for maneuvering Link?

Roto13 said:
You can get it
as soon as you reach adulthood. You might need Epona. (Pro tip: Do yourself a favour and plant a magic bean at the entrance of Dodongo's Cavern to make the last part of the trading quest easier.
Thanks for the tip

Why would you do that? said:

Water Temple. At that point, you should have unfrozen King Zora and have the Longshot (to go across Gerudo Valley) which are important for getting the Biggoron Sword.
Double Magic
: Directly after
Fire Temple. It's close by.
Double Health
: After you get an item in the final dungeon.
Perfect, thanks!

Roto13

Why would you do that? said:

You can go
into the Ice Cavern and get some Blue Fire to thaw out King Zora any time after you turn into an adult. No need to wait for the Water Temple. (You can also buy some if you have a big enough wallet, but it's not necessary.) And you don't need to get across Gerudo Valley for the trading sequence. I don't know what you're thinking of. Nayru's Love maybe?
:p

EDIT: Oh, wait,
across the bridge. Yeah. You can jump that with Epona.

Roto13 said:
You can go
into the Ice Cavern and get some Blue Fire to thaw out King Zora any time after you turn into an adult. No need to wait for the Water Temple. And you don't need to get across Gerudo Valley for the trading sequence. I don't know what you're thinking of. Nayru's Love maybe?
:p
Yeah, for the saw. The carpenter on the other side gives you the broken knife in exchange. It would be cool if you could go across the valley as soon as you reach adulthood, though. Would be fun to play the whole game with the sword.

Roto13 said:
EDIT: Oh, wait,
across the bridge. Yeah. You can jump that with Epona.
Wait, really?! Oh, now I have to do that.

kiryogi

Banned
Is it me or did they add a sword twirl animation to adult Link during Z-targetting? Could have swore that was first in Twilight Princess and being amazed by such a little nuance.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Brandon F said:
Gah, urge to buy a 3DS now is finally reaching critical levels.

So how has the circle pad been for control? Have people been preferring gyro control over manual aim? Has the 'analog' been nice for maneuvering Link?

Circle pad is good for control haven't had a problem yet. I use both the gyro and manual. The gyro sometimes feels easier.

Top Bottom