• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Xerxes

Neo Member
Last time I played OoT was 13 years ago. I know it's a classic, but I was not expecting it to age as well as it has. I'm enjoying everything so much more this time through. Still not a fan of the fiddly targeting system, but it doesn't hamper things much. The owl still creeps me the fuck out. *shivers*

Izayoi

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
and the surprise in this case is a lack of surprise

numasayin?
dohohohoau4e.jpg

Sianos

Dedication Through Light said:
Well I could get to the Forest Temple if I could find someway to get through the Sacred Meadow and defeat these stupid Moblins?! Are they impervious to attacks or something, I just get rammed and stuck in the water and never close enough to attack since it just charges back at me.
If you have Bombchus, you can use them.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This is the first game where the 3D effect really wow'd me. When the Deku Tree gives you that Emerald, it looked like the thing was seriously not in the screen anymore. Really bad ass.

Overall, the game is fantastic, the graphics look amazing, and I'm really happy to be playing it, which is also the first time I can say all that about the 3DS.

More of this, Nintendo.

Somnid

Izayoi said:
Didn't think about spoilers, sorry. I figured you were joking around or something. :|

Spoiler tagging wouldn't help either as it would be immediately obvious what the "I know something you don't" of a presumed binary value is.

Izayoi

Banned
Somnid said:
Spoiler tagging wouldn't help either as it would be immediately obvious what the "I know something you don't" of a presumed binary value is.
Fuck, I am dense. Just edited it out entirely. :(

Luigi87 said:
High fives for everyone who games in a swivelling chair.
Hell yeah!

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Got stuck in water temple like usual...spent an hour in there.
Was dark link buffed? He blocks all megaton hammer attacks and can jump on your sword then hit you now? wtf?

watershed

Banned
Just beat the first boss. Glad I didn't get the heart container 3d glitch that a bunch of posters have complained of. I wonder what causes it?

Muskweeto

isoku said:
Got stuck in water temple like usual...spent an hour in there.
Was dark link buffed? He blocks all megaton hammer attacks and can jump on your sword then hit you now? wtf?
I never use the hammer but he could always jump on your sword.

Izayoi

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Just beat the first boss. Glad I didn't get the heart container 3d glitch that a bunch of posters have complained of. I wonder what causes it?
Probably a coordinate bug with the in-game 3D cameras.

KevinCow

Banned
artwalknoon said:

I came across something like it, but not as severe as what some people are describing.

Basically, the game tries to automatically adjust the the cameras so that things don't appear to come out of the screen unless they specifically want them to (when you get an item and it spins around, that's supposed to pop out; random geometry as you're running around isn't). This is because having objects appear to come out of the screen but also pass off the edge of the screen or behind text bubbles tends to look really awkward.

So the cameras refocus, but sometimes they do it too much and make the depth far too extreme for anyone to reasonably focus on. Hence the double vision some people are occasionally getting.

SmithnCo

Just beat the water temple, it wasn't hard, but maybe it's just because of my experience with the game. Here's a tip though; you can cast a Farore's Wind warp point on the area where you can raise the water to the top to reduce time spent going back and forth.

IceMarker

artwalknoon said:
I hope this is the case with my copy tomorrow, all these glitches and errors are making me worried.

Im honestly baffled at when it wants me to use a new item and not. I thought the ghosts want me to use the bow, but the fourth ghost in the forest temple just made me run out of all my arrows, and my sword doesnt do anything. Two tries and nothing. I dont even have bombs. Its just annoying me to no end, I want to cook to dinner, but augh, if I can get through this ghost instead of stuck for an hour!

Boney

Banned
Im honestly baffled at when it wants me to use a new item and not. I thought the ghosts want me to use the bow, but the fourth ghost in the forest temple just made me run out of all my arrows, and my sword doesnt do anything. Two tries and nothing. I dont even have bombs. Its just annoying me to no end, I want to cook to dinner, but augh, if I can get through this dungeon!
Are you 5?

Aeana

Im honestly baffled at when it wants me to use a new item and not. I thought the ghosts want me to use the bow, but the fourth ghost in the forest temple just made me run out of all my arrows, and my sword doesnt do anything. Two tries and nothing. I dont even have bombs. Its just annoying me to no end, I want to cook to dinner, but augh, if I can get through this dungeon!
When that ghost surrounds you,
it splits into 4 copies, and one of the 4 copies twirls around. That's the one you need to hit, with the bow.

Im honestly baffled at when it wants me to use a new item and not. I thought the ghosts want me to use the bow, but the fourth ghost in the forest temple just made me run out of all my arrows, and my sword doesnt do anything. Two tries and nothing. I dont even have bombs. Its just annoying me to no end, I want to cook to dinner, but augh, if I can get through this ghost instead of stuck for an hour!
Pay attention to the animations of the ghosts when they appear

Aeana said:
it splits into 4 copies, and one of the 4 copies twirls around. That's the one you need to hit, with the bow.

I would since its usually the last one remaining, but it doesnt turn red, as if I didnt hit it at all.

NateDrake

I would since its usually the last one remaining, but it doesnt turn red, as if I didnt hit it at all.
That means you took too long. It's easy to tell which one it is it'll
shake the copies out and it'll still be moving for an extra second. Shoot that one because it's the real one.

watershed

Banned
I don't intend to be mean but I think its really funny how many first time OoT players in this thread have posted asking for help. To me it shows how far game design has come in hand-holding players along so that they know exactly what to do and where to go. OoT is not particularly obtuse in my mind but it does require careful observation and some reasoning.

That sense of having to figure out the next step is lost in a lot of today's games. Now watch me get stuck and come back posting for help!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
artwalknoon said:
I don't intend to be mean but I think its really funny how many first time OoT players in this thread have posted asking for help. To me it shows how far game design has come in hand-holding players along so that they know exactly what to do and where to go. OoT is not particularly obtuse in my mind but it does require careful observation and some reasoning.

That sense of having to figure out the next step is lost in a lot of today's games. Now watch me get stuck and come back posting for help!

Its mostly DTL being either a really horrible Zelda player, or just a big troll.

Izayoi

Banned
artwalknoon said:
That sense of having to figure out the next step is lost in a lot of today's games.
It really is. Seems like people bitch and label the game as "confusing" because it doesn't satisfy their instant gratification fetish. A real shame.

Boney said:
I don't see why you're laughing at that... :/
He's pretty obviously trolling. I mean, there's no way he could even be remotely serious. I just think it's funny that people keep replying.

Aeana

I know he is generally trolling, but that post seemed more reasonable. Then he edited the last part onto the end, as I was replying... so yeah. My mistake.

Mistle

artwalknoon said:

It's alright to ask for help, but I agree, the amount of questions I read in this thread that could be solved with a bit more experimenting is alarming. Maybe I've just been trained by point and click adventure games, but it doesnt feel right to immediately ask for help every time some problem-solving is needed.

Aeana said:
Actually I just did that and used the hookshot repeatedly, super easy.

Effect

Izayoi said:
It really is. Seems like people bitch and label the game as "confusing" because it doesn't satisfy their instant gratification fetish. A real shame.
Part of me wants to say it's the difference between western and Japanese games. Though it could be the case where there aren't many games where puzzles are a core part of the gameplay. Not just pushing blocks, etc to get to a new room but enemies themselves can be puzzles that have to be figured out. I could be wrong but I think Zelda has always been unique in this. You can't always just brute force your way through encounters. Weak spots aren't going to be flashing red with some voice instructing you on what you should do next that is so often the case in many FPS games in recent years. I'm really looking forward to Skyward Sword a lot due to this because how they are handling fights with motion plus.

Top Bottom