• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Bisnic said:
Its mostly DTL being either a really horrible Zelda player, or just a big troll.

The problem is that the "VISIONS" in the game arent that helpful. For example, in the one on the fourth ghost they dont even actually hit the ghost with the bow. Fortunately in my final attempt, I decided to just use the gripshot on the one that people suggested which, worked. Navi just doesnt offer any supportive help in fights, and Im quite low on items by the time Im at the end of these dungeons. I dont think Im horrible, its just the game keeps me on my feet having to resort to so many different tactics for midbosses and bosses instead of just the usual, hack and slash to win, etc. Its just different.

Aeana

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Out of curiosity, how many hearts is suggested to have for someone who has beaten the Fire and Forest temple so far?
I had 10 hearts at the end of the fire temple, and I'm not actively searching out heart pieces or anything. I'm actively fighting my impulse to 100% the game. (._. ) I've done it too many times already.

Effect

From an actual gameplay point of view Navi isn't that helpful. She's good at reminding you to do things but during fights you're own your own for the most part. Dying over a lot in certain parts of Zelda games until you figure the situation out is a norm I think. At least it has been for me over the many years I've played the console Zelda games. Hand held games have usually been a bit easier but OoT is a console Zelda.

samoset

Do people generally go forest -> fire temple? I've always thought you were supposed to go through the water temple after forest as that has been my path since I first played the game.

SmithnCo

samoset said:
Do people generally go forest -> fire temple? I've always thought you were supposed to go through the water temple after forest as that has been my path since I first played the game.

Doesn't matter which, but I always go forest -> fire because it's the order of the kid dungeons.

Doomsayer

samoset said:

Whoa, really?

That is so odd, I've never even attempted to go that way. I always do Forest -> Fire -> Water.

Aeana

samoset said:
Yes. Sheik lists Death Mountain first, and Navi also suggests going there right away.

mutsu

artwalknoon said:
I don't intend to be mean but I think its really funny how many first time OoT players in this thread have posted asking for help. To me it shows how far game design has come in hand-holding players along so that they know exactly what to do and where to go. OoT is not particularly obtuse in my mind but it does require careful observation and some reasoning.

That sense of having to figure out the next step is lost in a lot of today's games. Now watch me get stuck and come back posting for help!

And to think that OoT is already generous in offering you hints via talking to people and so forth.

Playing the very first Legend of Zelda again, and you really have no idea where to go and what to do!

Aeana said:
I had 10 hearts at the end of the fire temple, and I'm not actively searching out heart pieces or anything. I'm actively fighting my impulse to 100% the game. (._. ) I've done it too many times already.
Ah, I see. I have nine, and I wasn't exactly sure if that was normal or not.

Well, guess it's time to tackle that Water Temple now. Hope it's not as bad as everyone says...

samoset said:
I switch it up with each playthrough. In my last playthrough I did this:

Ice Cavern, Fire Temple, Forest Temple, Under the Well, Gerudo Fortress, Water Temple, Shadow Temple, and then the Spirit Temple.

It's pretty cool to switch it up.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I forgot how much I love the carpenter guys running around Kakariko, especially the "KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH?" screech the main boss gives.

By the way, how do I get past the carpenter in the boss' house blocking the Cuccoo hiding behind the fence?

Aeana

Watch Da Birdie said:
I forgot how much I love the carpenter guys running around Kakariko, especially the "KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH?" screech the main boss gives.

By the way, how do I get past the carpenter in the boss' house blocking the Cuccoo hiding behind the fence?
Pick up one of the cuccos, run up the stairs at the back of town and jump off diagonally toward the fence by the door while holding it. You should land on top of the fence.

Link Man

Banned
samoset said:
I thought the Water Temple had a rusted switch, though.

Watch Da Birdie said:

Use another chicken to glide to the other side from the ledge next to the Windmill hut. When you glide over, throw your chicken right as to touch the fence, and you'll grab onto it. Then throw the remaining chickens over the fence, and thne finally, jump back yourself.

Effect

Watch Da Birdie said:

The one trapped behind the fence with the hole in the ground? Use one of the birds to jump off the highest point (the hill the entrance to the windmill is on). Takes you over the fence. Then toss it back over and then toss the one that was originally there then use the ladder to climb out.

KeeSomething said:
Use another chicken to glide to the other side from the ledge next to the Windmill hut. When you glide over, throw your chicken right as to touch the fence, and you'll grab onto it. Then throw the remaining chickens over the fence, and thne finally, jump back yourself.

Actually if you angle it right you can glide right over (aim toward the fence near the building).

samoset

KeeSomething said:
I switch it up with each playthrough. In my last playthrough I did this:

Ice Cavern, Fire Temple, Forest Temple, Under the Well, Gerudo Fortress, Water Temple, Shadow Temple, and then the Spirit Temple.

It's pretty cool to switch it up.
Oh that's really cool I was going to ask which of the Zelda's you could sequence break dungeons. Are there any other Zelda games you could sequence break, I'm not really recalling any but I believe there were others.

samoset said:
Oh that's really cool I was going to ask which of the Zelda's you could sequence break dungeons. Are there any other Zelda games you could sequence break, I'm not really recalling any but I believe there were others.
A Link to the Past and the original NES game come to mind.

Oh, and Majora's Mask! IN my last playthrough, I beat the Stone Tower Temple before the Great Bay one.

Link Man said:
I thought the Water Temple had a rusted switch, though.
Nope. Though, you do need the bow for one eye target.

Poyunch

L... R... Y..Y.. X...
Could someone name that tune?

I know it's a N64 Zelda tune but I can't seem to recall the name and I don't want to give my brain the satisfaction of having to look through every Zelda N64 song.

Aeana

PounchEnvy said:
L... R... Y..Y.. X...
Could someone name that tune?

I know it's a N64 Zelda tune but I can't seem to recall the name and I don't want to give my brain the satisfaction of having to look through every Zelda N64 song.
Serenade of Water.

Question for those of you playing through Ocarina right now: Do you understand what my username references?

KevinCow said:
Man, running around the world without a horse as young Link is such a pain in the ass.
Does the backward run still work? Or did they slow it down for the 3DS version?

SmithnCo said:
The guard that asks for a "Kee-something" mask for his son. :p
Good job! You win nothing! ;)

Damn. My birthday is in 2 days, and I really want to treat myself to a 3DS and this game, but that's nearly $300 for a game that I've beating more times than I've beated off. I wish I had friends (with 3DSs).

Luigi87

I just completed the Forest Temple.

I am amused at how much that level scared the hell out of me as a kid (far more than the Well or Shadow Temple).

Also in regards to the temple end,
the final Poe sister crying (or was she laughing?) when you arrive back in the main foyer was... different.

cacophony

Smiles and Cries said:
I hate JABU-JABU'S BELLY

I guess I'll work on it for the night hope it does not take me hours

Same here, it's so damn confusing to me and I hate carrying that bitch around. I beat it today and it's not that bad after the first few minutes. Shouldn't take you longer than an hour.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
KeeSomething said:

Is that how everyone does it?

I've always just climbed the tower, and did a side jump off of it. It gets me onto the roof to talk to the guy with the heart piece. From there I just jump down to where the cuccoo is.

Forest Temple was rather easy compared to Jabu Jabu. Only thing I didnt realize until late was that I actually didnt only need to lob orbs but to also slash him. Suspenseful as I was down to my last heart of 5/6 but nonetheless fun. Kind of sad to see the Forest Sage though.

First-time player here, game is soooo good. Up to the Forest Temple, I've played 15+ hours. I very much hope EAD has an original 3D Zelda game in progress for the 3DS. No excuses.

Or remake Link To The Past.

Emotions

jrtc1g.jpg

Aeana

I'm surprised that the water temple midboss trick still worked. I thought for sure that was a bug in the original that they'd quash in this remake.

Roto13

Watch Da Birdie said:

Aeana said:
Pick up one of the cuccos, run up the stairs at the back of town and jump off diagonally toward the fence by the door while holding it. You should land on top of the fence.
No, no, that's the pain in the ass way!

Divvy said:
Is that how everyone does it?

I've always just climbed the tower, and did a side jump off of it. It gets me onto the roof to talk to the guy with the heart piece. From there I just jump down to where the cuccoo is.
You're smart like me. I like you. You can also do a similar thing to get the heart piece above the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern when you're a kid.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm about to become adult Link now. Should I do all this side stuff now (skulltulas, magic bean patches, masks, etc.) or can I revert back to child form at will later in the game?

Aeana

Revolutionary said:
Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm about to become adult Link now. Should I do all this side stuff now (skulltulas, magic bean patches, masks, etc.) or can I revert back to child form at will later in the game?
You can go back.

Clipper

KeeSomething said:
Good job! You win nothing! ;)

Damn. My birthday is in 2 days, and I really want to treat myself to a 3DS and this game, but that's nearly $300 for a game that I've beating more times than I've beated off. I wish I had friends (with 3DSs).
If it helps you make up your mind, they have temporarily extended the Soundtrack CD offer, so you might still have a chance to qualify for the CD if you buy and register it ASAP.

Dedication Through Light said:
Forest Temple was rather easy compared to Jabu Jabu. Only thing I didnt realize until late was that I actually didnt only need to lob orbs but to also slash him. Suspenseful as I was down to my last heart of 5/6 but nonetheless fun. Kind of sad to see the Forest Sage though.
What was so hard about Jabu Jabu, I finished it fairly quickly and found it fairly easy outside of the miniboss. The Forest Temple always confuses me in the block puzzle area and the wide open grass room.

Also agreed with the sages. Rather sad visiting the forest and lost woods in Adult Link's time.

Top Bottom