• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Lord_Byron28 said:
What was so hard about Jabu Jabu, I finished it fairly quickly and found it fairly easy outside of the miniboss. The Forest Temple always confuses me in the block puzzle area and the wide open grass room.

Also agreed with the sages. Rather sad visiting the forest and lost woods in Adult Link's time.

The enemies in the dungeon were a pain, some I could only defeat by throwing the princess onto them. The midboss and final boss took me a good hour, respectively, to just get through. I couldnt identify the winning strategy against either one. BigOctoRock especially since there arent even any healing items in its location, and then the Barinade's electric attacks that could reach anywhere in the area were completely unfair. Not to mention, most of the bosses are just challenging to me because of the camera controls, targeting, shielding, and moving with the 3DS button layout isnt very comfortable or suited for fast movement against enemies like Barinade.

Busaiku said:
Ok so I'm trying to rush (failing at it) and finished the Forest Temple, am I at least halfway through?

nope

Dedication Through Light said:
The enemies in the dungeon were a pain, some I could only defeat by throwing the princess onto them. The midboss and final boss took me a good hour, respectively, to just get through. I couldnt identify the winning strategy against either one. BigOctoRock especially since there arent even any healing items in its location, and then the Barinade's electric attacks that could reach anywhere in the area were completely unfair. Not to mention, most of the bosses are just challenging to me because of the camera controls, targeting, shielding, and moving with the 3DS button layout isnt very comfortable or suited for fast movement against enemies like Barinade.

Set L-targeting to "switch" in the start menu (makes it so you don't have to hold L). And remember to strafe jump by pressing A while locked on and moving left or right.

Dedication Through Light said:
The big Octoroc is a pain and is just more frustrating than fun. I luckily had a fairy in a bottle which helped me on that one. However, I had no problems with the boss and only got electrocuted once.

Also all the enemies could be eliminated once you get the dungeon's item. However, I can understand where some of the frustration was.

kunonabi

Game is so pretty in 3D. That whole sequence with Navi flying through the village in the beginning is made of pure awesome. The whole game just looks so much better. I haven't had any trouble with ghosting aside from the very beginning when I was holding the 3DS too close. Honestly 2d mode doesn't look much better to me since I'm not all that tech savvy.

Teknoman

Roto13 said:
No, no, that's the pain in the ass way!

You're smart like me. I like you. You can also do a similar thing to get the heart piece above the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern when you're a kid.

Side jump, how is that possible?

Ryn

I'm going to be buying my friends 3DS and this game off of him next month. I'm pretty excited to play this game, especially since I never really played much of the original on the n64.

Aeana

I didn't know you could get on the house with that glitch. I do use the backflip to get the heart piece on Death Mountain early though.

Roto13 said:
You're smart like me. I like you. You can also do a similar thing to get the heart piece above the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern when you're a kid.
That's how I've been doing it for years. :( (A diagonal-backflip, actually.) I never really thought about doing it another way... Whoops.

Roto13

Necromanti said:
That's how I've been doing it for years. :( (A diagonal-backflip, actually.) I never really thought about doing it another way... Whoops.
You're supposed to plant a Magic Bean as a kid and ride it as an adult. Screw that, though. :p

Medalion

Banned
I remember the first time through this game in the N64 days... was a very definition of epic for the system... so much stuff to do, side quests and the like... now I feel like I am rushing through this game, when I used to take my time

Roto13

Teknoman said:
Heh and it worked. How are you supposed to get there normally? It's been awhile.
You're supposed to fly there with a cuccoo, which is a pain in the ass because then you have to find that cuccoo again.

Teknoman

Luigi87 said:

Oh duh, and then they turn into the levitating plant thing.

Roto13 said:
You're supposed to fly there with a cuccoo, which is a pain in the ass because then you have to find that cuccoo again.

The one found next to the building next to the house on the highest ledge right?

Seda

The forest stage is a not-so-typical hidden grotto found in the Lost Woods (go right, left, right, left, left, in the tall grass). Here, there are a bunch of Deku scrubs who are waiting for someone to put on a show. By wearing different masks, the Scrubs will react in different ways. Try it out. There are 2 upgrades one can get through this.

Yousefb

Seda said:
The forest stage is a not-so-typical hidden grotto found in the Lost Woods (go right, left, right, left, left, in the tall grass). Here, there are a bunch of Deku scrubs who and waiting for someone to put on a show. By wearing different masks, the Scrubs will react in different ways. Try it out. There are 2 upgrades one can get through this.
Wow, I did not know about this or that you can break the dungeon sequence :|

Shoogoo

I'm going to finish Link's Awakening first, then grab this game full speed. This thread got me pumped to buy it.

How many hours will I need to finish LA? (not rushing it, such a gem)

Shoogoo said:
I'm going to finish Link's Awakening first, then grab this game full speed. This thread got me pumped to buy it.

I'd say anywhere between 10-15 hours or so.

Gravijah

Shoogoo said:

I just picked up LADX, myself. Never played it before (well, minus a bit of playtime as a kid on my cousins SGB/GBP) so it should be a nice treat.

Shoogoo

_Alkaline_ said:
I'd say anywhere between 10-15 hours or so.
Ok thanks!

Gravijah said:
I just picked up LADX, myself. Never played it before (well, minus a bit of playtime as a kid on my cousins SGB/GBP) so it should be a nice treat.
I played it when it was out, but I don't recall finishing it. It's the reason I'm buying it too, I'm mad at myself for not remembering that detail :)

I've said this many times before, but Link's Awakening is so good! I'm playing it for the first time on 3DS, really loving it, and I thought I have been burned out on the Zelda formula.

Still early in the game, just got
Zelda's lullaby
and the "official" start of my mission to save Hyrule.

Also, I'm blown away at how well the circle pad works. A great benchmark I just found for this is when sneaking past the guards. On the part where you need to get past one of them by
slowly tip toeing across the canopy's wooden beam,
it worked very tightly and without a hitch, I was able to ace that one on my first try. Very impressed at how precise it is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Agent Unknown said:
Still early in the game, just got Zelda's lullaby and the "official" start of my mission from the Princess and Impa to save Hyrule.

Also, I'm blown away at how well the circle pad works. A great benchmark I just found for this is when sneaking past the guards. On the part where you need to get past one of them by
slowly tip toeing across the canopy's wooden beam,
it worked very tightly and without a hitch. Very impressed at how precise it is.
You tip toe? I just walk across, fall, grab all the rupees, and run out before he sees me. :lol

KarmaCow said:
You can roll around screaming like a lunatic and they wont notice unless they see you.

Well yeah, ha. But on that part it's a very enclosed space and there's no barrier between you and the guard so that's why I was a bit skeptical.

Aeana

Gravijah said:
Aeana, you have small hands. Do you find using the d-pad in conjunction with the top buttons uncomfortable on the 3DS?
Dpad and top buttons? I haven't tried that yet on the 3DS. Slide pad and L, though, is really hard for me. I had to set Z targeting to toggle in this because holding it and moving at the same time hurts my hand. Trying it out now, it seems to be the same with the dpad.

watershed

Banned
I am loving the camera controls for this. The use of gyro and circle pad in view mode and in z-targeting is sweet. Such a natural way to take in the sights and spot all the new additions/improvements to detail.

Hey guys ,I have never played a zelda game in my life,but seeing all the praise its getting im thinking theres gotta be something im missing here,the 3DS version is getting a lot of praise ,I dont own one but was wondering if this game uses the 3D effect really well and if its reason enough to buy the thing?

stilgar

ChocolatePuddin said:
Hey guys ,I have never played a zelda game in my life,but seeing all the praise its getting im thinking theres gotta be something im missing here,the 3DS version is getting a lot of praise ,I dont own one but was wondering if this game uses the 3D effect really well and if its reason enough to buy the thing?

The reason to buy the game is at the beginning of your sentence : you never played it and it's one of the 10 (5?3?) greatest games on planet earth.
Also, definitive version. And 3D.

Medalion

Banned
ChocolatePuddin said:
Buy the game because it's considered one of the best games ever made of any generation, the 3D to me is a bonus to those who can enjoy it... I however find it doesn't work for me, maybe because my eyes are screwed up but the game itself is reason enough to finally get one

ChocolatePuddin said:

It's one of the best and most influential games of all time. If you like action adventure games, you should play it.

The 3D looks great most of the time. The effect can break in dark places or when there's a lot of black around, but it's not a big deal.

watershed

Banned
Uh-oh, I'm developing one issue that's threatening to limit the amount of time I can spend with this game in a single session. My hands are starting to cramp up. The 3ds is just a bit too small for me maybe. I never noticed much because I never really put in long sessions except Nintendogs which can be completely stylus controlled. But now my hands are feeling it. Anyone else out there feeling this?

Top Bottom