• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Medalion

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Uh-oh, I'm developing one issue that's threatening to limit the amount of time I can spend with this game in a single session. My hands are starting to cramp up. The 3ds is just a bit too small for me maybe. I never noticed much because I never really put in long sessions except Nintendogs which can be completely stylus controlled. But now my hands are feeling it. Anyone else out there feeling this?
And this is why Navi tells you to take a break once in awhile

ChocolatePuddin said:
Hey guys ,I have never played a zelda game in my life,but seeing all the praise its getting im thinking theres gotta be something im missing here,the 3DS version is getting a lot of praise ,I dont own one but was wondering if this game uses the 3D effect really well and if its reason enough to buy the thing?

I wouldn't say it's reason enough to buy a 3DS, but the 3DS has many great games coming out this year that, combined, are definitely worth buying a 3DS for. I say now is as good a time as any.

Of course, I've been playing this game since second grade. It might be worth buying a 3DS for if you've never played a Zelda game (a concept that I simply can't wrap my head around).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So now that many of you actually have played a good portion, how exactly are the grafix? Should one expect to see a surprising improvement?

SmithnCo

Oblivion said:
So now that many of you actually have played a good portion, how exactly are the grafix? Should one expect to see a surprising improvement?

It is a huge improvement over the original. And it looks good in its own right as well.

Medalion

Banned
Oblivion said:
If you've seen recent screenshots, it looks like that... it's an improvement but not like holy shit it looks like a different game

ChocolatePuddin said:
Hey guys ,I have never played a zelda game in my life,but seeing all the praise its getting im thinking theres gotta be something im missing here,the 3DS version is getting a lot of praise ,I dont own one but was wondering if this game uses the 3D effect really well and if its reason enough to buy the thing?

Well, if you're on the fence now's the time to go for it, with Amazon offering both the $25 gift card with purchase and half off another 3DS title with the purchase of Zelda.

artwalknoon said:
Uh-oh, I'm developing one issue that's threatening to limit the amount of time I can spend with this game in a single session. My hands are starting to cramp up. The 3ds is just a bit too small for me maybe. I never noticed much because I never really put in long sessions except Nintendogs which can be completely stylus controlled. But now my hands are feeling it. Anyone else out there feeling this?

Not that as my hands are fairly small, but currently I have only time to play it at night, after having spent more than 8 or 9 hours learning at the computer screen... and needless to say that my eyes aren't capable of coping with the 3D at that point. So far I mostly had to play in 2D allthough the 3D looks amazing in this game.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright, this game's really making me start to dislike the circle pad. My thumb keeps slipping off.

Oblivion said:

I guess I'm in the minority, because I'm pretty disappointed that they just reused the N64 geometry for the most part. Link's model is a huge jump over the original; if the whole game had been that kind of jump, it would look pretty amazing.

Still, with the much higher res textures, new models for some things (Link in particular), occasionally nicer lighting effects, and much smoother framerate, there is a fair jump. Just don't expect a RE -> REmake or Metroid -> Zero Mission kind of leap. They're calling this a remaster instead of a remake for a reason.

Shoogoo

Those 3 posts right there just made me go to amazon.co.uk, put the damned thing in the basket and order it.

Thank you GAF, really. REALLY.

Ydahs

The 3D is absolutely remarkable. To me, it's the most important advancement in gaming (more so than HD, motion, etc.) simply because nothing else has drawn me into a game like this.

I've played up until the first dungeon and then switched to 2D to see what it's like. Everything just lost its character and the atmosphere was gone. The world felt flat and you just don't get the same feeling as with 3D enabled. Went to my bedroom, turned off the lights and cranked up the 3D. Looks phenomenal.

An original 3D Zelda game built from the ground up with beautiful graphics is going to blow my mind.

love the remake. heres what i think so far:

-the 3D effect is interesting, but it doesnt do too much for me so i turn it off. i would rather have better anti-aliasing and a slightly brighter screen than 3D. that being said, the 3D effect is nice and i can see how it enhances play. however, i dont think its worth the tradeoff in battery life, anti-aliasing and a dimmer screen.
-adult links running is a little bit slower than the original, or is that just me?
-graphics are a definite improvement. im loving every location so far and how they've improved upon it.
-i really wish master quest was unlocked upon play - the regular game is way too easy for me, even after several years of absence.
-my 3DS seems to die quickly after a few hours of play (i got 6-7 hours max, with wireless and 3D off and using the 2nd to lowest brightness), but im used to my DS lite battery life, so maybe thats why.
-some of the camera/cutscene sequences are slightly different, but i like them.
-navi is definitely right when she says to take a break - my hands became all slippery and holding the 3DS was uncomfortable.

as of earlier, i have 11 hearts right now and i just got to the forest temple. i went on ahead and got epona, the goron and zora tunics, as well as the gerudo membership card all before going to the forest temple. felt like mixing things up a bit this time. :) im quite surprised i remember most of the heart piece and skulltula locations - i have 30+ skulltulas already. this game makes me feel like a kid all over again, and im glad it does!

kizmah

artwalknoon said:

Yup, feeling it big time. My hands are rather big and the 3DS is too damn small for me. Especially my right hand cramps up after about 20-30 mins. I have to take small breaks.

But that's pretty much the only gripe I have with the game (and that's reallty not the game's fault) and 3DS. This is the first time I am spending some serious time with the 3DS and first time I'm playing Ocarina in many years. And both are awesome. The game is just as amazing as nostalgia told be it wolud be and the overhauled graphics and 3D are making the experiance feel fresh beyond my expectations. 3D is really well done and enhances the experiance for me. I love all the little touches that went into the game. Like allt he posters and drawings all around Kakarioko village and the cave paintings inside Goron City. Just got to the Zora Domain for the first time and Ocarina, seems to me, hasn't aged at all. Welcome back old friend.

Ydahs said:
The 3D is absolutely remarkable. To me, it's the most important advancement in gaming (more so than HD, motion, etc.) simply because nothing else has drawn me into a game like this.

I've played up until the first dungeon and then switched to 2D to see what it's like. Everything just lost its character and the atmosphere was gone. The world felt flat and you just don't get the same feeling as with 3D enabled. Went to my bedroom, turned off the lights and cranked up the 3D. Looks phenomenal.

An original 3D Zelda game built from the ground up with beautiful graphics is going to blow my mind.

The little portions I played in 3D so far (due to fatigue) have really shown me how 3D can improve image quality. Sure there is Aliasing, but the added depth, the added clarity of objects farther away make all the difference for me.
After I turned it off (could only see crosstalk after a whole day of learning) there was something missing. Sure it still looked good, but especially the horizon and stuff that was farther away lost immensely not just in clarity but even detail.

My God,
Volvagia
is a fucking prick of a boss.
I can't seem to time my hammer hits worth a shit. He just pops up, hits me twice and I'm down for the count.
I have seven heart slots, is that enough?

secretanchitman said:
-some of the camera/cutscene sequences are slightly different, but i like them.

They've censored King Dodongos death scene. Now he simply rolls into the lava and stops moving, instead of screaming and struggling while burning to a crisp.
I was WTF... let me see that bitch fry and burn up^^
My inner gorehound was not happy with that particular change... what next? Volvagia not burning to the bones alive?

Poyunch

ConradCervantes said:
My God,
Volvagia
I can't seem to time my hammer hits worth a shit. He just pops up, hits me twice and I'm down for the count.
It's simple wait for him to pop out so you don't get hit. Just make sure you have enough distance to lay a jump attack as soon as he pops out.

SmithnCo

ConradCervantes said:
My God,
Volvagia

I could not hit him if I got too close to the hole he was coming out of, he'd just freak out and hit me. Just wait for a split second after he pops up and then try to hit him I guess. The edges of the arena you fight him on are also climbable so you can hang off the edge to dodge him when he starts flying around.

Fairies would be helpful, he does a good amount of damage.

Come to think about it, would it be possible for the
Biggoron Sword to take out Volvogia? Been dicking about doing the trade sequence and getting the iron boots and tunics before touching the forest temple.

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
I wouldn't say it's reason enough to buy a 3DS, but the 3DS has many great games coming out this year that, combined, are definitely worth buying a 3DS for. I say now is as good a time as any.

Of course, I've been playing this game since second grade. It might be worth buying a 3DS for if you've never played a Zelda game (a concept that I simply can't wrap my head around).

It sounds like a win,win situation,i,ve played pilot wings with the 3d on and I agree with the dude that says the 3d effect is better than a crisp HD display,it can really draw you in and you cant get that effect anywhere else unless you sleep on a bed of money and have a decent 3d TV setup with glasses,and even then the glasses are a bit of a mission to play with,but the game itself sounds epic,thx for the feedback guys

SmithnCo

Kirbyguy said:
Come to think about it, would it be possible for the
Biggoron Sword to take out Volvogia? Been dicking about doing the trade sequence and getting the iron boots and tunics before touching the forest temple.

Yes.
You stun him with the hammer and wail on him with the sword. I think it only takes three fully charged Biggoron sword spins to kill him.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just starting the Master Quest. I only beat it once before and that was way back in 2003 when WW came out. I remember the dungeons being changed but I don't remember the overworld/towns being changed this much. Was the MQ always like that?

Anyone got their preorder box and poster from GAME yet? I feel like contacting them but want to know if any of you guys have even got it yet.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
secretanchitman said:
-the 3D effect is interesting, but it doesnt do too much for me so i turn it off. i would rather have better anti-aliasing and a slightly brighter screen than 3D. that being said, the 3D effect is nice and i can see how it enhances play. however, i dont think its worth the tradeoff in battery life, anti-aliasing and a dimmer screen.
Huh? If anything, the screen is brighter and has more vibrant colors with 3D on.

Medalion

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Just starting the Master Quest. I only beat it once before and that was way back in 2003 when WW came out. I remember the dungeons being changed but I don't remember the overworld/towns being changed this much. Was the MQ always like that?
This MQ is different in that the whole world is 'mirrored'

Jocchan said:
Huh? If anything, the screen is brighter and has more vibrant colors with 3D on.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I find it hard to go back to 2D mode right away after, as it looks so damn dull and dark in comparison.

wwm0nkey

We got about 25 copies in for launch.....we only have 3 now...and our GameStop is one of the slowest in the district.

Game is selling like crazy from what I have been hearing.

Izayoi

Banned
hamzik said:
Perhaps. But the world does look duller and kinda blurrier in 2D. The illusion works!
The reason it looks "blurrier" is probably because of the addition of AA when 3D is turned off.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Izayoi said:
That's definitely an illusion. The screen is dimmer with 3D enabled.
With 3D enabled they crank up the screen backlight to offset the parallax barrier absorbing light (which is why the battery life goes down so drastically), so technically the screen is brighter regardless of what's perceived. The perception, though, gets kinda messed up during the switch because barrier activation/deactivation and brightness change aren't perfectly synced.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope you're fucking happy GAF because I've now pre-ordered this.

Cunts. The lot of you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AniHawk said:
well it's out where i live, here in the future.

You live in a different timeline.

I find it puzzling how people have polar opposite opinions of the 3D. I'm in the "3D looks brighter, more vibrant and better in every way" camp.

I also think the upper screen of the 3DS is optimized for 3D. Meaning that in 2D mode it doesn't look as good as a normal LCD without a parralex barrier. I can easily see this in the Web browser by comparing an image/page on both screens. Compared side to side in 2D with identical content, the bottom screen looks slightly better.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I blame time zones for this discrepancy.

Smiles and Cries said:
hey in the graveyard how do I get pass the dead end walls in the Royal Hyrule Grave? (the one with the many redeads
Head left, stick to the wall, run straight to the end ignoring the ReDeads.

Jocchan said:
I blame time zones for this discrepancy.

Head left, stick to the wall, run straight to the end ignoring the ReDeads.

oh I can get pass the redeads I just wanted to know what opens the wall in the last room
its like a dead end with writings on it... not sure if there is a song or something that breaks it open

Meanwhile on NeoGaf Games Forum...

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT| 4,849

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword E3 trailer 4,825

odence-surprise.jpeg

Dartastic said:
Cousin wants this, and wants a deal. What are the best deals going on right now?

Just do what multiple people in this thread have done. Order something, say that the credit wouldn't apply to your game, and ask them to put it on. Problem solved.

So wait, this works? So let's say I pre-order Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, and then contact Amazon.com and say that the promotional credit did not apply to my game. This would actually work?

Celine

Izayoi said:
That's definitely an illusion. The screen is dimmer with 3D enabled.
No, I noted ( in general ) it's brighter with 3D on ( but I use the auto-saving energy function ).
I believe they compensate the light dimming by augmenting the luminosity ( that's why the battery take a hit with 3d enabled ).

Top Bottom