• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

Davey Cakes

Ages is confusing the hell out of me, I just beat the 2nd dungeon and did some stuff after it and have absolutely no idea where to go! Nice to be stuck in a Zelda game for the first time in a while, the GB Zeldas are all awesome.
That's where I got stuck in Ages on my actual GBC cart, many years ago. Never finished it.

With the eShop releases, I'm playing Seasons for the first time. Just started today. One dungeon in and I'm enjoying it.

Since Ages is only five bucks as well until June 20th, I may pick it up before then, but for now I'll just hold off on the download and play Seasons.

(The reason why I would download Ages rather than finish it on my GBC cart is because the only system I have that will play it is an original GBA that a friend gave me. I no longer have my old modified-with-back light GBA and I sold off my GBA SP as well. I tried to play games on the original GBA but in the present day it's just ridiculous without a front light or back light.)

GG-Duo

Why should I get both?
It's almost same game but different boss?
just like Megaman Battle Network one.

The two games are completely different except for assets and engine. So it's not like a Pokemon Red and Green type of situation.

XaosWolf

Why should I get both?
It's almost same game but different boss?
just like Megaman Battle Network one.

Don't worry, they both have seperate mechanics and dungeons, but then they can be joined to get an extra chunk of game and a final final boss at the end.

Just buy one of them if you're not sure, then keep the code at the end if you're up some more.

Just remember:
Season = Action
Ages = Puzzles

Got stuck in Ages - Level 7 Jabu Jabu Belly. Got everything but didn't know how to reach the Boss Door. It was so frickin' obvious. Bloody hell.

Just bought Seasons, but now I'm reading that Ages is the puzzle centric one and Seasons is action oriented? That's a bummer. Never was a fan of the combat in 2D Zelda games.

Oh man, you know those disappearing blocks in Mega Man?

Oracle of
Seasons in one of the levels
has a slightly different version of them. It wasn't too hard, but it was quite fun and interesting to see it. Just one more Mega Man reference in the games. lol

Also, my favorite part of Link's Awakening and the Oracle games were the sidescrolling sections. I kind of wish they had a whole level built around it... (They do in Four Swords Adventures, and it's one of my favorite levels.)

Roto13

One thing that stands out in my mind from when I first played Seasons is
kicking the King Moblin out of his keep and then repeatedly blowing up his house because fuck that guy.

Having so much fun with these on my 3DS. $5 a piece was way too good to pass up, I would have paid considerably more to get another shot at these games, as I didn't complete them when I first got them in grade school.

I think of all the older games, Zelda titles appeal to me the absolute most. They have the item questing down, the dungeon gameplay, and the puzzles all so awesomely mixed together. And these are TWO games to go through and experience, I'm extremely glad Seasons and Ages are in my 3DS finally!

Oh man, you know those disappearing blocks in Mega Man?

Oracle of
Seasons in one of the levels
has them. It wasn't too hard, but it was quite fun and funny to see it. Just one more Mega Man reference in the games. lol

lol nice catch. It seems some Capcom game references are in these games too. Pretty cool.

jschreier

Huh, I think I accidentally ruined my game by doing something wrong in the fourth dungeon in Oracle of Seasons. Luckily, I had just created a restore point (since that part is right after the miniboss of the dungeon).

There's a switch that you can hit with your Boomerang after the miniboss. However, it was intended to be hit with the dungeon's special item, which you did not get yet. If you hit the switch with the boomerang, you will be taken to a room with a locked brick, and if you unlock it using your last key, then you're screwed.

Nah, you're not screwed. I just did the same thing. Keep exploring.

zroid

Banned
One thing that stands out in my mind from when I first played Seasons is
kicking the King Moblin out of his keep and then repeatedly blowing up his house because fuck that guy.

That was awesome. The fact that that fight was really easy just made it all the more hilarious.

Roto13

My average playtime for Seasons is 3 hours. Let's see how far it drops after I do the password stuff while playing AGes. :p

Got up to the 6th dungeon in Seasons. I've played these games so much I'm gliding through it.

I just got there. I think I'm gonna take a break for the night, though.

It's definitely a meaty game, very well worth the money. It also helps that I only beat Seasons 10 years ago, so it all feels very fresh.

Im surprised they didn't see this as a potential problem and release the game to think that it was already on a GBA. O well.

IIRC for an emulator to masquerade as a GBA, all that needs to be changed is one byte. One little byte that would save completionists a bit of headache.

IIRC for an emulator to masquerade as a GBA, all that needs to be changed is one byte. One little byte that would save completionists a bit of headache.

If that is true then I am really disappointed in Nintendo for not putting in that little bit of extra work. If your gonna sell the game sell it in its complete form don't leave out pieces.

I honestly can't remember why I never bought either of these games back when I had a Gameboy Color as a kid.

I remember looking through Nintendo Power and really loving the concept that you could change the seasons and effect the world. But for the life of me I cannot remember why I never decided to pick them up.

Maybe it was not having money for them or something. I only remember having a couple of games for the system at all: Super Mario Bros. DX, Pokemon Yellow, Harvest Moon, and Turok (2? It was garbage whatever it was called), and Godzilla. I think maybe back then I hadn't played any Zelda games before and didn't know anything about them.

I feel so disappointed in my past self. I was able to figure out the puzzle I never could in about 5 seconds. I wonder if I ever checked with that deku shrub who gave the clue or was just trying blindly.

Ourobolus

Banned
I remember beating Seasons way back in the day, so I started with Ages. It's been fantastic, but there were a couple of hiccups that drove me nuts for a bit.

- I had no idea you could push those big-ass seeds. I was stuck on Crescent Island for HOURS.
- Why the hell are there 2 keys for the Mermaid dungeon? Again, took me some time to find the second key.
- In said dungeon, I don't remember finding anything telling me how to light the 4 torches. After trying a few times I assumed that I was using something wrong, but apparently it was just improper order. Dammit.

+ on the plus side, the boss fights have been ridiculously inventive and fun. The 5th boss, Smog, was especially interesting to fight. The 3rd boss where you have to bounce your seed shots was also awesome.

Rich!

Even though I've finished it numerous times since I got both games in 2001, I STILL ended up forgetting what to do after feeding the dodongo boss bombs in Seasons. I always forget.

Robin64

Not having access to rings that do nothing isn't really something I will worry about.

Seasons is just as good as I remember, mind. Also I just died on the overworld, so I guess I'm out of practice or Oracles are just harder than LA.

Rich!

The oversight of locking out the Advance features is pretty lame. I hope they patch it eventually.

You know what?. if it was down to me, each VC gameboy release would have the following:

- Selectable scaling from menu
- Selection of borders to choose from, including Super Game Boy borders.
- The option to choose which hardware to play on (DMG, GBP, Light, GBC and Advance)
- Filtering on/off
- Custom colours for GB original titles, like you can on the SGB.

but I'm not in charge of Nintendo. And Nintendo won't ever do any of that. Lame.

And no, it won't get patched. There's a reason it has an authentic GBC border if you hold down start - Nintendo want it to be the exact same experience as if you were playing on a GBC. And that means no GBA features at all.

Heropon

And no, it won't get patched. There's a reason it has an authentic GBC border if you hold down start - Nintendo want it to be the exact same experience as if you were playing on a GBC. And that means no GBA features at all.

The blue snake talked in my GBC copy, so it isn't an authentic experience anyways.

Will probably start these tomorrow. Haven't played them before and they're obviously well praised, so I'm really looking forward to playing them. I think I'll go Seasons -> Ages since I prefer puzzle solving. Would rather play the "worse" one first.

ZeroEdge

Well I seen these on the E-Shop and was curios about them (never played them in 2001), and seeing its a crappy thunderstorm filled day here today I think I may just have to spend it inside trying these out :) So Ages is more puzzle and Seasons is action-y right? May have to start with Seasons then.

Also that art style looks damn awesome!

I'm in my mid 30s, these games passed me by back in the day. Was past GB stuff at that age but now feeling the need to play. Going through Seasons first.

BTW, think these are my first VC purchases, is the hold down Start button bit in all the other VC games? How is that advertised? I just read someone's note on here and tried it and sure enough, it worked.

Ages and then Seasons.
Is there a real reason or is this just your preference?

It's just a preference. It doesn't matter in which order you start. At the end of either game, you get a password that you put in at the start of the other game to continue your quest.

Seasons has harder enemies and is more action-oriented, Ages puts an emphasis on puzzles. (But there are of course still puzzles in OoS and tough enemies in OoA.)

Canonically, according to Hyrule Historia, Seasons comes first, for what it's worth.

BTW, think these are my first VC purchases, is the hold down Start button bit in all the other VC games? How is that advertised? I just read someone's note on here and tried it and sure enough, it worked.

It's not a hidden feature, it's explained in the manual under Virtual Console options. It works for other GB/GBC games, too. Don't know about other systems.

zroid

Banned
The 5th dungeon in Seasons is now one of my favourite dungeons across the series, 2D or 3D. It's just awesome.

shiiit, that buildup for dungeon 6 in Seasons. Was close to reading a walkthrough a couple of times, but it felt really good finding all out by myself. Though I probably lucked out once :
Checking the underground shop for the membership card
. I remember some similar spot in Minish Cap, in which it has also been easy to get stuck, because you need to check out one specific place at the right time. At least they give you enough reasons to revisit areas, I just finished the trading quest alongside. Also, dat music in the ruins/forest.

Amazing game, I hope they make ALTTP2 feel more like the Capcom games, rather than some strict reimagining. Can't believe the same director did goddamned PH afterwards :|

zroid

Banned
lol, beat Seasons' 6th dungeon mid-boss with 1/4 heart remaining, and the boss with 1/2 heart remaining. :(

I really suck at 2D Zelda

Vamphuntr

I beat Ages and linked it to my Seasons game. Seasons is much easier so far and you seem to acquire items and progress much more quickly than in Ages.

Ages is more gimmicky because you need to use the harp to progress around the world map and even in a dungeon. Now I have to back in Ages to link some secrets.

Zeeman

lol, beat Seasons' 6th dungeon mid-boss with 1/4 heart remaining, and the boss with 1/2 heart remaining. :(

I really suck at 2D Zelda

Yeah, it's been too long since I've played one. I even had some trouble with the first boss in Seasons because, while it was obvious
his weak spot was his horn
, I was still thinking in 3D and didn't realize I could just hit it even when he was standing straight.

Seeing as how I beat Ages as a kid and never beat Seasons, I figured I'd start with Seasons first. I've already died 4 times and just finished the 1st dungeon. Time to get the Rod of Seasons!

Top Bottom