• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

shuri

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
My neighbor pirated the game, and he is already playing it. What a slap in the face.

I will have to wait like 1 week after the release to play it. =(

Life isn't fair.
don't worry, you'll soon get impressions from people using 'review copies from the office' and 'copies from the local store that broke teh street date' on gaf

This is the first console Zelda that I haven't researched to death. I haven't watched a video of this game since it was first revealed.

At first it was because I just wasn't excited for it (I hadn't used my Wii in years) but a few months ago I decided I wanted to go into this game blindly and discover everything while I play. I don't even know how MotionPlus is implemented at all. At E3, I even turned my head away from the demo stations. It's been tough avoiding screenshots, videos and reviews.

I'm so glad the wait is almost over. This is the first and last time I'll visit this thread until I make substantial progress into the game.

Sgt.Pepper said:
My neighbor pirated the game, and he is already playing it. What a slap in the face.

I will have to wait like 1 week after the release to play it. =(

Life isn't fair.

Was planning on doing the same, but then I realized I have no wii motion plus (which is why I preordered the bundle). Life just ain't fair T_T.

But luckily spent like $200 on games the past week. And school stuff to keep me busy =)

Mistle

shuri said:
don't worry, you'll soon get impressions from people using 'review copies from the office' and 'copies from the local store that broke teh street date' on gaf
it's already happening, somebody in the review thread was refusing to post pics. not sure how that ended up though.

and there sure seems to be a lot of people around playing it. that said, a good number of people have provided proof.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've got two exams this week and then I get SS on Sunday and its three stress-free days to play before I go home for Thanksgiving. Its going to be awesome.

As some of you may know a do a comedy news series on youtube and in the latest episode me and my co-anchor Ghirahim talk about Skyward Swords Earth Shattering release.

In the episode we tell someone who said the game sucked that he sucked, Ghirahim starts talking nonsense when I leave and a earthquake happens everytime we say the name of the game! Yall should watch it if you want a laugh.
Or atleast you should laugh. My family did but I dunno how funny it really is...

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFuUr9aTq4A

like it? then check out some of my other videos including a news segment of Mario 3D Land and the upcoming Mario Kart 7 news video.

Anywayz: Been waiting on this for five years (I know I said six in the video lol) and I am freaking out dudes. Its Zelda. ZELDA! Twilight Princess had to be my favorite game I've played since I played longer than any other game. (177 Hours according to my Wiis activity log.)

I have avoided the spoilers. All Ive seen is the origins trailer as of late. No spoilers whatsoever for me. I spoiled the entire ending of TP and hated myself. I am not doing that again. AM NOT!

...anywayz...

Getting the CE (obviously) can't wait for some 1:1 motion controlled golden awsomeness! (Why no golden nunchuck?) :(

New zelda...new Zelda...NEW ZEEEEEEEEEEELDAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!1120!!!!! Yippe!!!

sfried

BY2K said:
DAWN OF THE LAST WEEK
DAWN OF THE SEVENTH DAY
168 HOURS REMAIN
Nice.

My body is ready. My Wii is ready. My weekend is ready. I don't know if I can endure the weekday though.
Regulus Tera said:
[*]The Capcom games... uh, okay, the four of them are cool. In fact, they are all fucking great.
Didn't one of the directors who made Minish Cap spearhead Skyward Sword?

Nintendo should team up with Grasshoper with one of their IPs. Then Suda51 should direct the next console Zelda.

One week. I mean, that's not so bad, right? Uncharted 3 came out 2 weeks ago already and that didn't feel like anything... fuck this is going to be hard

cajunator

Banned
Im still grinding through Uncharted myself. Thankfully I am in chapter 10 and the best part of the game is just ahead. Hopefully it can keep me preoccupied enough.

Mistle

If anybody in Australia manages to get this before the 24th, let me know. My local WOW Sight and Sound said they'd have it on the 20th but they were probably looking at a US release date.

Dmax3901

Mistle said:
If anybody in Australia manages to get this before the 24th, let me know. My local WOW Sight and Sound said they'd have it on the 20th but they were probably looking at a US release date.

Holy shit. I would love to know this also. PM me if you find out!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sfried said:
Nintendo should team up with Grasshoper with one of their IPs. Then Suda51 should direct the next console Zelda.
Why would you want a Zelda game that controls like crap and is filled with bugs and glitches? Even if you wanted him for script-writing purposes, Zelda is not the franchise that would be best-suited by meta-commentary otaku culture and the like.

Now, Shigesato Itoi and Suda 51 collaborating on MOTHER 4? That would be pretty rad.

Hmm great to know that they don't show you a message telling you everytime you get a new rupee whenever you start a playfile. Showing a message with other collectibles doesn't phase me as that was how it was in Wind Waker and I had no problem with that.

Metroid Killer said:
Hmm great to know that they don't show you a message telling you everytime you get a new rupee whenever you start a playfile. Showing a message with other collectibles doesn't phase me as that was how it was in Wind Waker and I had no problem with that.
As far as I remember, they showed it once back then. Then you could collect them like hearts and rupees (unless you found them in treasure chests, of course).

Rehynn

oatmeal said:
She's not as good as Midna.

She has zero personality. It's like having Siri, sans the sass.

You really don't seem to have anything positive to say about the game.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting because I can't stand that dude from Lost.

Two minor quirks I really don't like.

The little melody and text that comes when you get an item, and Link holding it up, pops up everywhere, even in the middle of dramatic cut scenes. It's happened a few times now and it absolutely destroys any kind of mood or build up. What were they thinking?!

And you can't jump off anywhere on Skyloft and call your bird. You have to jump off the island at specific points. While there is a great number of places to jump from, it's silly when you can jump off one spot, but the ledge right under it will have you falling to your death (actually not, because you'll get saved and put back on the ledge, but whatever).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FoxHimself said:
The little melody and text that comes when you get an item, and Link holding it up, pops up everywhere, even in the middle of dramatic cut scenes. It's happened a few times now and it absolutely destroys any kind of mood or build up. What were they thinking?!
Is this your first Zelda?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FoxHimself said:
Is your comment totally irrelevant? It breaks the action in an incredibly stupid way. It even recognizes it by writing "Oops, now is not the time for stupid descriptions!"
That doesn't respond my question though. I am honestly curious. :lol

cajunator

Banned
FoxHimself said:
Two minor quirks I really don't like.

And you can't jump off anywhere on Skyloft and call your bird. You have to jump off the island at specific points. While there is a great number of places to jump from, it's silly when you can jump off one spot, but the ledge right under it will have you falling to your death (actually not, because you'll get saved and put back on the ledge, but whatever).
This is a staple of the series. This pretty much has to be in there. It is absolutely part of Zelda's identity. In fact, when I get the game, Im playing that little jingle on my phone in the store for the fucking hell of it. I know others who are doing the same. I am aware of how nerdy this is.

cajunator said:
This is a staple of the series. This pretty much has to be in there. It is absolutely part of Zelda's identity. In fact, when I get the game, Im playing that little jingle on my phone in the store for the fucking hell of it. I know others who are doing the same. I am aware of how nerdy this is.

Yes, I know this. However, in a dramatic battle cut scene, all of a sudden the tune plays, Link stops dead in his track to show the item and a text bubble appears. All other music is stopped. Romantic scene with beautiful music, oops, Link turns around to show off the item with a fanfare and a text box. Music stops.

Staple of the series or not - they should know when it's appropriate.

cajunator

Banned
FoxHimself said:
Yes, I know this. However, in a dramatic battle cut scene, all of a sudden the tune plays, Link stops dead in his track to show the item and a text bubble appears. All other music is stopped. Romantic scene with beautiful music, oops, Link turns around to show off the item with a fanfare and a text box. Music stops.

Staple of the series or not - they should know when it's appropriate.
I will have to see how this plays out in this game. If it is as jarring as you say it is then they probably could have waited until after the moment or whatever, but that part HAS to be in there somewhere. Its just something that people associate Zelda with and actively look for.

Just had the most tense experience in a Zelda game yet. And I thought the whole sequence would just be an easy and boring fetch quest. Good lord.

The music in the game is great, however
the tunes you play with the harp are a mess, nothing memorable about them and they sound like shit
. Oh well, it's a minor thing anyways.

24 hours in now.

Sirius

Alrighty.. with all the peeps posting their experiences I think it's time to unsubscribe. See y'all around launch!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The OT is out and no one told me?! Guys... GUYS! It's too bad I won't be able to post in here because of Skyrim and MGS HD :(

WillyFive

The tracks from the OST are flooding my subscription box on Youtube. Can't say I'm annoyed.

Regulus Tera said:
The first four games are near flawless

Ha ha ha ha

I think all Zelda games are pretty equal in quality, with those rare CDi exceptions.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Thank you gaming gods for the most amazing two months of gaming and releasing Uncharted 3, Skyrim, and Super Mario Land 3D during these last two weeks of temptations. It is because of you that I have refrained from spoiling myself, and therefore the 20th of November shall be a glorious day like none-other!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
FoxHimself said:
I call Fi "Commander Data". There has to be some kind of influence there.

I don't see that at all.

She still reminds me of a certain character from the anime Scrapped Princess, but I don't think it was a direct influence.

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
yes, indeed, during boss fights the motion combat seems to be more interesting, because they're so focused and one on one and because you're forced to be methodical. i'm not THAT far into the game (~15 hours), but not all of the boss fights have been slow and full of precision sword fighting, there are still some frantic ones where the methodical approach is less successfull or just unnecessary. some require unique strategies (not involving the sword) in order to break through their defenses but then oddly rely only on random waggle to actually attack and hurt the boss.

it's hard for me to say whether the motion controls were really worth it. i'll have to finish the game first before i can say that for sure. but before i go to bed i'm gonna list a bunch of noteworthy pros and cons that have stuck out for me. just really quick and dirty:

pros:

- orchestrated music
- flying and the sky as an overworld (motion controls are straightforward and flawless here)
- all the mechanics surrounding the bird, jumping off a ledge and calling it etc., jumping off the bird and landing etc.
- link's agility (running up walls, hanging from ledges, running and rolling in general feel satisfying)
- item menus/ui
- the beetle! very fun item
- being able to set a beacon on the map that you can see from afar, wherever you want! OMG! in a zelda game!
- orchestrated music

cons:

- the fractured, disconnected world (makes the world feel much less alive)
- pre-dungeon areas are extremely isolated and painfully linear, some of them literally feel like a bunch of corridors instead of hubs, towns, fields etc. (like in previous zelda games)
- slow beginning combined with constant handholding and beating over the head with unnecessary "hints"
- fi (one-dimensional, somewhat obnoxious sidekick with zero charm, especially compared to midna)
- the lack of urgency and mystery in plot, setting and storytelling (there is no sense of any of this being very important or of there being any real danger for a veeeeery long time)

i'll post my thoughts on the actual contents of the dungeons tomorrow, because i need to write a little more there...

Fascinating perspective. You know, jarosh, you have a really workmanlike way of describing the faults and good points (your description of your problem with the motion+ battle controls was the most pointed and concise dissection of the concept yet) of a game that would make you probably the exception to the bad reviewer rule. I would never wish such a career on anyone, especially someone with actual talent, but I just thought you should know that!

Of your pros/cons, the thing that frightens me is the linearity part. From what people were saying prior to release, there is a lot of returning with tools to areas to discover new secrets and remembering new paths in dungeons, but this sounds just restrictively linear. Which is a shame, because that really is the biggest problem with Zelda today. You can keep the Zelda formula without forcing the player down your arbitrary path. But I've loved the Zelda's anyway despite this problem, so I'm sure I'll still like it. It just might not be quite as revelatory as I thought.

Also, +10 for Orchestrated Music listed twice. Fuck yeah dude.

Of your complaints, the one that matters least to me is story. I don't care about those in games, not really. As long as Zelda games remain lighthearted and occasionally throw you a sweet bone (like at the end of Wind Waker, in the Ganon battle when he describes why he is the way he is), I'll be satisfied on that end.

Anyway, great write up. Thanks.

Regulus Tera said:
The first four games are near flawless, but:

• Ocarina of Time toned down the difficulty from A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. It began the transition from an Adventure/Action hybrid to Puzzle/Adventure potpourri with piss-easy enemies.
  • Majora's Mask' saving system makes replaying the introduction a fucking chore and a necessity to schedule long breaks to play the game due to how the sidequests take a big portion of every three-day cycle.
  • The Wind Waker is incomplete and padded with an annoying Triforce hunt that will tire you if you don't have the foresight to spread it out between the Earth and Wind Temples.
  • The Capcom games... uh, okay, the four of them are cool. In fact, they are all fucking great.
  • Four Swords Adventures urges me to buy GBA/GCN link cables and extra GBAs to experience it the real way. Well fuck you too Nintendo.
  • Twilight Princess' introduction is hand-holding at its worst and the overworld is too big for its own good.
  • Phantom Hourglass is shit.
  • Spirit Tracks is an improvement with a horrible musical instrument and over-world travelling mechanic.
  • The CDi games are CDi games.

Flawless my arse. Actually, no, that one is just hairy.

interesting opinions and true in most cases, but you could have just saved time by automatically winning the argument and saying "no game is flawless."

Dascu

- pre-dungeon areas are extremely isolated and painfully linear, some of them literally feel like a bunch of corridors instead of hubs, towns, fields etc. (like in previous zelda games)
This completely contradicts with what I've been hearing from other people. They say that the pre-dungeon areas are rather open: You get dropped in a field, you have to find four or so objectives which are scattered around this field and then you can simply do this in any order you want. And this field is rather open too, constantly unlocking shortcuts and finding alternate routes to your objectives.

Amir0x said:
Of your pros/cons, the thing that frightens me is the linearity part.
Yeah this is what worries me the most as well. If anything, they needed to make Zelda less linear after TP, but I guess we have to wait for that until another time.

Red UFO

Just so you guys know, the GameTrailers video review is filled to the brim with spoilers. They always are, don't know why I watched it :\

Top Bottom