• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jarosh said:
- fi (one-dimensional, somewhat obnoxious sidekick with zero charm, especially compared to midna)

I'd say I'm about as far as you are based on time, and I do hope there's a bit more to Fi. Still like her though. She reminds me a lot of
Zephiris
from the anime Scrapped Princess.

At the same time, I can't being myself to make any Midna comparison, because Midna was such a great character, one of the best new character the franchise has ever seen I think.

Cosmozone

jarosh said:
- the fractured, disconnected world (makes the world feel much less alive)
- pre-dungeon areas are extremely isolated and painfully linear, some of them literally feel like a bunch of corridors instead of hubs, towns, fields etc. (like in previous zelda games)
Looks like I'll really have to wait for the HD Zelda to live that dream of a vast seamless world. But I haven't given up hope on this title yet. I read some comments that the game adds more variety in world/dungeon design later on.

Cosmozone

cajunator said:
Reminder of this UK Zelda playthrough. they are about to start Ocarina of time/Master Quest simultaneously.

http://zeldagamesaid.co.uk/
Hey nice, I'm currently playing Master Quest, too. :) Took it from my backlog. Back then I didn't notice any differences in the first Dungeon, so I stopped playing. Now after all this time, I forgot most of the designs so I still can't tell if there were differences so far, lol. I'm currently halfway through the Forest Temple and there were two courtyard like areas almost Ico-style I was completely unfamiliar with. But perhaps I just forgot about them.

Caelus

jarosh said:
y- fi (one-dimensional, somewhat obnoxious sidekick with zero charm, especially compared to midna)

:( I love Fi. She's so quirky and unique for a sidekick, I didn't like Midna that much.

Kard8p3

I'm fine with Fi. Most seem to be comparing her to Midna but it seems clear that they didn't want to go in that direction with Fi. Fi seems to work well for the kind of character she is. I am of course saying this based on footage I've seen as I've not played the game yet.

Congrats to Andrex and Brandonh83 for making this OT worth looking at.

Hope to see your image work in other OTs in the future.

You deserve it, guys!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kard8p3 said:
I'm fine with Fi. Most seem to be comparing her to Midna but it seems clear that they didn't want to go in that direction with Fi. Fi seems to work well for the kind of character she is. I am of course saying this based on footage I've seen as I've not played the game yet.

Yeah, other than being the character advising link on his journey, they are nothing alike. It's like comparing Midna with Navi.

oatmeal

Banned
Kard8p3 said:

She's not as good as Midna.

She has zero personality. It's like having Siri, sans the sass.

rhino4evr

brandonh83 said:
For me games like Skyrim proves that you can make the biggest, prettiest, deepest, most detail-rich adventure game ever, and it's still not quite Zelda. Sure, there are some obvious (well not to some people, depressingly) differences, but some people literally think "well why get Zelda when Skyrim is the biggest, grittiest RPG out there?"

The problem is that it's not that simple at all. Zelda's gameplay is based around puzzle solving, by figuring your way through dungeons and exploring Hyrule which is such a diverse world, full of color and surprises. It's also always been a more compacted world.

I was talking about this in the reviews thread about how I don't think Skyward Sword should be frowned upon for not having these big gigantic overworlds. Zelda is not some sandbox game. Hyrule has almost always been a series of varied but interconnected areas that make up the grand scheme.

Arkham City, for example, had a pretty good sized open world, but I found it to be boring and dreary. I suppose that's the idea, considering the nature of that franchise-- and even correct, but it wasn't for me. Oblivion was massive, but I never found it to be environmentally engaging. It was nice to look at, at the time, and I did get into it, but it wasn't like playing A Link to the Past for the first time, for example, and being truly wondered by the place.

The areas I'm seeing in Skyward suggest a more compacted and efficient experience much like the older Zelda titles. I care not about having a big massive overworld in a Zelda game, or even a big open Hyrule Field for the sake of having a big open environment. I know I started this post talking about the differences between Zelda and Skyrim but I wanted to elaborate why I feel that Zelda should have a different style when it comes to how the world is laid out.

So yeah. For me Zelda is still doing it right. Everyone else is scrambling to create these gigantic worlds, and that's great, I like that. But it's not Zelda.
I heart this post

Don't give a shit about Fi's personality or lack thereof, it's pretty much somewhere near the bottom of the barrel of reasons why I'm looking forward to the game.

Koodo

Banned
Flawless OP, worthy of this flawless franchise.
2q8dhet.jpg

Teknoman

I cant believe its finally around the corner. It seems like just the other day we were flipping out about Miyamoto's presentation for the game.

Bullza2o

I cannot wait until next Sunday! For the past few days I've been listening to SS and Zelda soncert music on Youtube and playing Wind Waker again.
Also, my Club Nintendo Zelda posters came yesterday, which just made me even more excited!

My neighbor pirated the game, and he is already playing it. What a slap in the face.

I will have to wait like 1 week after the release to play it. =(

Life isn't fair.

Sgt.Pepper said:
My neighbor pirated the game, and he is already playing it. What a slap in the face.

Life isn't fair.

Burn his house down.

Kazerei

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:

Life isn't fair.
Call the FBI :mad:

Retro

Sgt.Pepper said:

Life isn't fair.

Call the FBI, burn down his house while you wait.

Sgt.Pepper said:

Life isn't fair.

He will never have that genuine experience. wait for your copy. open slowly in front of him show him dat cover. Tell him I have the game in my collection do you?

crazy monkey said:
He will never have that genuine experience. wait for your copy. open slowly in front of him show him dat cover. Tell him I have the game in my collection do you?
yeah sure. his digital collection.

oatmeal

Banned
BertramCooper said:
You can't expect every Zelda helper to be as awesome as Midna.

That's true.

I don't mind her at all...

HOWEVER, she is very intrusive. And you can't speed up her text at all, so it's long and slow. And it's always lots and lots of pages worth of dialogue.

When you hit a new location, she fills you up with information and you're just like "Jesus, I just want to explore you blue slut!"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Crumpet Trumpet said:
are u disagreeing

watch yourself
The first four games are near flawless, but:

• Ocarina of Time toned down the difficulty from A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. It began the transition from an Adventure/Action hybrid to Puzzle/Adventure potpourri with piss-easy enemies.
  • Majora's Mask' saving system makes replaying the introduction a fucking chore and a necessity to schedule long breaks to play the game due to how the sidequests take a big portion of every three-day cycle.
  • The Wind Waker is incomplete and padded with an annoying Triforce hunt that will tire you if you don't have the foresight to spread it out between the Earth and Wind Temples.
  • The Capcom games... uh, okay, the four of them are cool. In fact, they are all fucking great.
  • Four Swords Adventures urges me to buy GBA/GCN link cables and extra GBAs to experience it the real way. Well fuck you too Nintendo.
  • Twilight Princess' introduction is hand-holding at its worst and the overworld is too big for its own good.
  • Phantom Hourglass is shit.
  • Spirit Tracks is an improvement with a horrible musical instrument and over-world travelling mechanic.
  • The CDi games are CDi games.

Flawless my arse. Actually, no, that one is just hairy.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Regulus Tera said:

• Ocarina of Time toned down the difficulty from A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. It began the transition from an Adventure/Action hybrid to Puzzle/Adventure potpourri with piss-easy enemies.
  • Majora's Mask' saving system makes replaying the introduction a fucking chore and a necessity to schedule long breaks to play the game due to how the sidequests take a big portion of every three-day cycle.
  • The Wind Waker is incomplete and padded with an annoying Triforce hunt that will tire you if you don't have the foresight to spread it out between the Earth and Wind Temples.
  • The Capcom games... uh, okay, the four of them are cool. In fact, they are all fucking great.
  • Four Swords Adventures urges me to buy GBA/GCN link cables and extra GBAs to experience it the real way. Well fuck you too Nintendo.
  • Twilight Princess' introduction is hand-holding at its worst and the overworld is too big for its own good.
  • Spirit Tracks is an improvement with a horrible musical instrument and over-world travelling mechanic.

... Including the CDI games is a joke, right?

Question about Motion Plus:

How's the add-on version feel with the controller? Is it noticeable or annoying? I'm trying to decide whether to get that or the motion plus controller, and I'd rather save the $20 if there isn't a big difference between the two. Might all be moot if I get the bundle pack though, but that's still up in the air.

So I'm taking an entire vacation week (starting at noon Tuesday) just to play this. Is anyone else in the same boat?

I'm hoping it'll arrive on Tuesday even with Amazon's shipping...

MushroomSamba said:
Question about Motion Plus:

How's the add-on version feel with the controller? Is it noticeable or annoying? I'm trying to decide whether to get that or the motion plus controller, and I'd rather save the $20 if there isn't a big difference between the two. Might all be moot if I get the bundle pack though, but that's still up in the air.

It adds a little weight but nothing major.

Why not just get the bundle pack though? It'd be the same price as the game + a motion plus and then you get another controller that's exclusive and awesome.

Inferno313 said:
It adds a little weight but nothing major.

Why not just get the bundle pack though? It'd be the same price as the game + a motion plus and then you get another controller that's exclusive and awesome.
Isn't it pretty limited in supply? I might not be getting this until early next year, and I figured there's a chance the bundle pack might be gone by then.

Thanks for the input on the add-on though.

Regulus Tera said:

Oh...I wasn't expecting such a well-said and accurate reply to my gif. LOL

Top Bottom