• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Red UFO said:
Just so you guys know, the GameTrailers video review is filled to the brim with spoilers. They always are, don't know why I watched it :\
Which is why I have avoided reviews in general like a plague. Neogaf is the only possible way for me to get randomly spoiled.

RPGCrazied

Yeah. I wanted to hear what GT said about the game, but I had myself closing my eyes at certain points, showing of scenes I didn't want to see yet.

Red UFO said:
Just so you guys know, the GameTrailers video review is filled to the brim with spoilers. They always are, don't know why I watched it :\

I just watched it and didn't feel like there were any glaring spoilers.

Also, I am buying a Wii to play this. Is Twilight Princess worth buying?

Dr.Hadji

Dascu said:
This completely contradicts with what I've been hearing from other people. They say that the pre-dungeon areas are rather open: You get dropped in a field, you have to find four or so objectives which are scattered around this field and then you can simply do this in any order you want. And this field is rather open too, constantly unlocking shortcuts and finding alternate routes to your objectives.

I think some of the problem lies in what people call linear. Feep, for example, said it felt linear because (what from what I could gather from his review) he didn't feel there was anything meaningful to do outside of your direct quest. When your game isn't truly open and free every restriction call be called linear. Some people would call Metroid linear because you are in a series of connected hallways with locks. Though a fan would tell you the these linear rooms are just one part of a path that turns back on itself with new prospects as you gain new abilities. Some people called GTA4 linear because missions didn't allow for as much freedom to solve them, even though it was still an open world game. People feel Halo has more open combat and feel the game as a whole is more grand even though you are funneled from battle to battle like any other FPS. SS is most likely linear is a literal sense but that doesn't mean it can't give the feel openness. Its all in the design.

upandaway said:

I had a choice, I've tried to not spoil the outcomes, but I guess it's spoiler filled:

There was a hand in the toilet bowl that demanded paper, I got a love letter to deliver from a person, but when I delivered it instead of handing it over as toilet paper the hand no longer wants any paper - quest over. I loaded the game and gave the hand the letter, and now the love part of the quest is over as well.
I want both "endings", damnit. Heh.

Does it affect the game's ending or just the quest's? It would suck if the rewards for both quests were equally as good and you could only receive one.

So in anticipation of SS I replayed Twilight Princess last month, and yesterday(and today) I tried my hands at Lttp yet another time, but the game just doesn't grab me at all.

Let me get you some backdrops.

My first Zelda game was OoT and I still regard it as one of the best games ever(up there along with Super Metroid). Since then I have bought and played every main console Zelda game. I did played the original Zelda and lttp when I was little (we rented them), but I never got that far in any of them.

I then bought Lttp when it became available on the Virtual Console, but I ended up losing interest in it(I can't remember where in the game I quit, probably around the time you get to the dark world).

Then around 2 years ago I gave it another shot, but once again I lost interest in it this time after getting the first crystal.

So with all the Zelda in the air, yesterday, I picked up from where I left 2 years ago. I spent a good hour getting back into the game (figuring out where I had been, what the hell my items were capable off, etc.), I also watched a couple of lets play on youtube to better remember what I had been through. So after wandering around pretty confused about where I was supposed to be heading next I looked up on youtube where someone with around 10 hearts would be doing and eventually I found myself taking on the Swamp Palace(second crystal dungeon). Pretty decent dungeon, the boss ended up killing quite some times until I found out that it could attack it from any direction and not just aim for the eye. I step out of the dungeon and wander for some time and I just feel numb, nothing, no joy, no sense of accomplishment. I get the same feeling I get everytime I've tried playing this game, I have no drive or motivation to continue so I quit.

I have a hard time figuring out exactly why the game doesn't click with me. Especially considering so many people claim that lttp and Oot shares the same structure.

When I watched the lets play I noticed that there was a lot of item which I didn't possess, and I know why. It's because I don't/didn't feel like exploring the overworld, and when I further looked into how to get some of the items, I don't think I would have figured out on my own, not because they were hard to get, but I just don't see the logic in it.

The combat is obviously very barebones compared to newer Zeldas, but I don't mind it too much as the focus isn't big on combat.

I do enjoy the dungeons that I played so far, again very barebones compared to the 3D Zeldas, but the themes and bosses make up for it.

I never had a SNES when I was little, and I think if I had played it properly back then I would have loved it. But then again, I did play Super Metroid 7 years after its release and it's now my favorite game together with OoT, and last year I finally played Metroid and I was able to accept most of the archaic mechanics... but apparently I can't when it comes to Lttp.

Next time I try it I should properly start from the beginning again.

zoukka

I've had similar troubles with Majoras Mask. No urge to explore and some of the quests are so very tedious. The story and the world are very interesting and unique, but I guess the pacing and quests haven't stood against the test of time like OoT has for example. It's the only Zelda that I feel no motivation to finish now...

zoukka said:
I've had similar troubles with Majoras Mask. No urge to explore and some of the quests are so very tedious. The story and the world are very interesting and unique, but I guess the pacing and quests haven't stood against the test of time like OoT has for example. It's the only Zelda that I feel no motivation to finish now...

SHAMELESS... BLASPHEMOUS... FURIOUS

*flicks tongue around*

WillyFive

zoukka said:

Yeah. It's not a very smooth-paced game, if you hit a rock, you may be stuck there for a while because you don't want to replay the whole day at a later time (no, the statues don't really help).

zoukka said:
Now I'm afraid it will be like that when I fire up MM sometime in the future. I haven't played it since when I got it for the N64. I did however love it back then.

The music and visuals of lttp are great and I do appreciate them, I wish I could get into the game more. Perhaps it's because of high expectations? A lot of people have lttp as their fav. zelda, hearing about how flawless it is etc.

Chuck said:
Does it affect the game's ending or just the quest's? It would suck if the rewards for both quests were equally as good and you could only receive one.

It's just the quest's. Although I think it might carry on a bit later. I'll have to wait and see.

Onwards to temple number ...five, I think!

zoukka

Willy105 said:
Yeah. It's not a very smooth-paced game, if you hit a rock, you may be stuck there for a while because you don't want to replay the whole day at a later time (no, the statues don't really help).

Good point. At some occasions I arrive to a dungeon I didn't finish in time, only to notice I'm missing arrows, bombs, TNT, rupees and whatknot. Finding them drains precious time and most of all, my old ass patience. Or this cow farm and the quest there... I arrive one hour late and nobody even says anything to me wtf. Return there on some other time and suddenly there's this quest waiting for me... I like exploration, but goddamn a clue would be nice :b

Well no Zelda fan can enjoy every single iteration I guess.

zoukka said:
Good point. At some occasions I arrive to a dungeon I didn't finish in time, only to notice I'm missing arrows, bombs, TNT, rupees and whatknot. Finding them drains precious time and most of all, my old ass patience. Or this cow farm and the quest there... I arrive one hour late and nobody even says anything to me wtf. Return there on some other time and suddenly there's this quest waiting for me... I like exploration, but goddamn a clue would be nice :b

For me it's the original Zelda. I've finished it once, but I had to drag myself through it. Loved the second one though, and even finished it on the collector's disc on GameCube.

Most dungeons in Majora have a part before, at, or just after the beginning with assloads of pots to break. They're there so you can stock back up.

The Lamp

I listened to GT's review, I did not watch it. That would have spoiled everything lol.

But in the first minute they already spoil parts of the story about Ghirahim's motives that I had no idea about (and I've been watching all the released trailers) and I'm like WTF!!!!

Red UFO

zoukka said:

You didn't get the Bombers Notebook, did you?

Mzo

whatknot

I watched the GT review and don't feel like anything was spoiled for me at all.

Then again I don't crawl around in my dark cave all day wheezing out a breathy "Thpoilerth! HISSSSSS" at every stray ray of sunlight.

The Lamp

Mzo said:
whatknot

Then again I don't crawl around in my dark cave all day wheezing out a breathy "Thpoilerth! HISSSSSS" at every stray ray of sunlight.

I didn't know that Ghirahim was (warning: motive spoilers)
trying to revive his 'master' by kidnapping Zelda
and they spoil that in the review.

Mzo said:
whatknot

Using the final boss music was kind of a dick move.

Mzo

Don't feel like that's important enough to matter. Someone's eventually kidnapping the bitch for some reason, come on now.

The Lamp

Mzo said:
Don't feel like that's important enough to matter. Someone's eventually kidnapping the bitch for some reason, come on now.

Well I didn't know his motives. Now that I know that one detail, the rest of the story is incredibly easy to figure out, particularly with the characters we know are in play. So it's important.

Mzo

ShockingAlberto said:
Using the final boss music was kind of a dick move.
I watched this yesterday and I can't remember what any of the music sounded like. How would you even know it's the end boss music?

You guys are kind of weird about this.

Mzo said:
I watched this yesterday and I can't remember what any of the music sounded like. How would you even know it's the end boss music?

You guys are kind of weird about this.
You're free to disagree all you want, I don't understand why this is a big deal for you.

Then again, you don't understand why the review is a big deal for other people, but I guess the difference is that I'm not blowing my top over it.

FatCat

Right, time for some impressions. Can't remember how far into the game I am time-wise (must be about 15 hours). The game has a really enchanting feel about it, I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Its probably a mix of graphics, great music, NPC personalities and who knows what. The game is also harder, I've died quite a few times.

It really has been an amazing game up until now, but instead of actually saying what I've been enjoying up until now (which is 90% of the game), here are the things I'm not so keen on (some minor spoilers ahead):

-
The Silent Realm is kind of a bitch,
not sure why they put that in, it really isn't fun tbh.
- Some of the motion controls are very annoying, like rolling a bomb. Also, sometimes aiming needs recalibration (but that might just be me playing from by bed).
- Text speed is too slow...aaaaah.
- I was expecting more from a character like
Fi, she talks like a computer and an extremely flat character, what a shame

I will try and finish the game for tomorrow as I'll be away for a couple of weeks. I'll give full impressions then.

zoukka

ShockingAlberto said:
Most dungeons in Majora have a part before, at, or just after the beginning with assloads of pots to break. They're there so you can stock back up.

Sometimes you break 20 pots before you get the first dose of whatever you happen to need. It's nothing major, but adds to the repetitive nature of the game.

brandonh83 said:
So uhm... how good is the supposed final boss music? I mean, that and how do you guys know for sure?
People posted "Hey, that's the final boss music" afterward.

I'm generally assuming they're not lying.

If they are, then egg on my face, I guess.

ShockingAlberto said:
People posted "Hey, that's the final boss music" afterward.

I see, I was just curious if there were any facts behind it or if people were just assuming based on the nature of the song.

zoukka said:
I like exploration, but goddamn a clue would be nice :b

Heh I guess this is part of my problem with lttp as well. By getting access to a ledge by using the magic hammer I was able to drop down into a well, inside there is this statue with some red orb, I can't do anything and figure I will have to come back later with some dungeon weapon. Coincidently in one of the lets play videos I watched the player drops down into that well and uses Magic Powder to unlock doube magic. Apparently magic powder has been available the whole time, had I just stumbled into some random mushroom in the Lost Woods.
I guess I don't play it like a child at that time would play it, running around hyrule aimlessly just fooling around accidentially discovering secret stuff, whereas I'm trying figure where and how to progress.

Oddly enough I'm big on advocating that Zelda would be better off the less linear it is and the more seamless the world is, two points that lttp focuses heavily on...

zoukka

Yes I'm sure I would've explored the shit out of MM as a kid. Now I have all the games in the world at my disposal so flaws in pacing really hurt the experience.

brandonh83 said:
I see, I was just curious if there were any facts behind it or if people were just assuming based on the nature of the song.
I think video of it leaked pretty early and/or people with review copies were the first to point it out.

Mzo

brandonh83 said:
So uhm... how good is the supposed final boss music? I mean, that and how do you guys know for sure?
so_good.gif

Rehynn

Amir0x said:
Man i just have like no motivation to do anything right now, i just want Zelda

I hear you man. I'm supposed to be doing research for my dissertation, and... it's not going so well.

Xun

The Lamp said:
I didn't know that Ghirahim was (warning: motive spoilers)
trying to revive his 'master' by kidnapping Zelda
and they spoil that in the review.
I was really pissed off there was no warning for that in the review.

Top Bottom