• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Amazon.

Dispatched on Thursday. Supposedly First Class.

Ooh that's not good, normally Amazon are accurate with their dispatch info. If it was the ltd ediion you might want to contact them(I know they will tell you to wait, but they might be able to tell you if they have kept spare ones for such a situation).

IRegarding controls, the only issue I really noticed is the rope walking sometimes screws up. It's usually really responsive and perfect, but on a few occasions it seems to have locked as if I'm holding it to the right and link keeps falling every couple of steps, always to the right. Nothing I did with the wiinote would sort out his balance. This has only happened a few times but it was very frustrating.

Try holding the Wiimote vertically & keeping the base in the same position when tilting it (I was having issues with it until I tried that, since then I haven't fallen off once).

Bit-Bit

Ya'll need to hurry up and beat the game so we can discuss the story. I'm so excited to talk about it! I just finished the game last night. Told myself I was gonna play for just a few more hours thinking I'm at the end of the game. Ended up beating it at 5am!

I'm not gonna lie, someone needs to give the writers at Nintendo an award. They did such a great job with the villain's dialogue.

My jaw dropping moment in the game. Huge Story Spoiler, don't highlight unless you've beaten the game.
When Link's hand started to glow and I realized he was emitting light from a Triforce piece that doesn't belong to him. Then Holy shit when he got Power! I actually said out loud "HOLY SHIT"

[Nintex]

The style of the game is still all over the place but the third dungeon and the enitre province around it was great. For better for worse they used all their toys(read styles: Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Spirit Tracks, Twilight Princess at once). I also noticed the color banding and dithering as well.

I think the problem for Nintendo's Zelda studio is that they're too good, they can pretty much develop any mechanic put it together and make it work. The new items, especially the Beetle are fun to mess around with. The only thing I'd really like them to change up on the 3DS and Wii U is the geometry. As far as the dungeons are concerned, so far they're still using a ton of blocks. Someone at EAD must be a massive LEGO fan and some parts of this game could've been thrown right into Super Mario Galaxy.

**third area spoilers up ahead:**
Those robot thingies reminded me of the trash robots in Super Mario Galaxy. In any case I have a hard time accepting that before there was a medieval hyrule, we had robots digging for time stones. So far I'm not convinced that this is the 'starting point of the series' like Nintendo wants us to believe. Unless they reset time at the end or something, I dunno.

Frillen

Right now my wallet can take 1200 rupees. How do you get it bigger? I've bought all the upgrades from Beetle but there's a heart piece that costs 1600 rupees.

RPGCrazied

Can someone help me? I haven't even made it to the first dungeon, so I doubt its really a spoiler, but ya never know.

How do you open the door at the bottom of skyloft thats in the graveyard?

Penguin

Right now my wallet can take 1200 rupees. How do you get it bigger? I've bought all the upgrades from Beetle but there's a heart piece that costs 1600 rupees.

You have to find the monster in the Graveyard, get him Gratittude crystals and you'll get various upgrades including wallet increases and heart pieces

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Have you found
a character named Batreaux
?

If you did,
visit him again once you have enough gratitude crystals

Evlar

Banned
That's because MotionPlus loses calibration quite often. To recalibrate it, you have to point the Wii remote at the sensor bar.

Neither the statement that it "loses" calibration frequently nor the claim that you need to point it back at the sensor bar to regain calibration is true.

Motion Plus, like every other motion control system, is attempting to define vectors in three-dimensional space. Sometimes it only needs coordinates relative to its own neutral state, sometimes it needs coordinates defined by some external point or direction. An example of the former is the tightrope "balancing", which appears to only require waving back and forth and down (to "jangle"). These are all relative to the controller itself- right is the right side of the controller, left is the left side, down is toward the bottom of the controller. This works every time I attempt it; no re-calibration is necessary.

For coordinate systems relative to some point or direction in the world the controller does different things depending on the task being asked of it. One "reference" vector it locates is "down": this is accomplished when you place the controller on a flat surface each time the game starts up or you allow the controller to turn off and then back on. The accelerometers detect the pull of gravity and set that direction as "down", and it appears to retain that calibration over long play sessions. This is used during the sword fighting (to distinguish between vertical, horizontal, and diagonal slashes) and most obviously during the "Skyward Strike" move. I've done this move after three+ hour play sessions without needing to re-calibrate; that's pretty impressive (I honestly wonder if it isn't stealthily re-calibrating when the controller is held still, without player interaction, to maintain the "down" vector).

A second "reference" in the environment is the location of your television. This is calibrated at the start of each game session by pointing at the screen and centering a pointer, aided by the sensor bar. I presume this is the part that people are complaining is getting "out of calibration". Except... that's not precisely what's happening. The location of the television defined during the "Point at the screen" step is not, as far as I can tell, used for more than the first couple startup screens (picking your save file). After that point, every single time you use any weapon or in-game element that requires "pointing" the game assumes the direction you're holding the Remote when you start the action is center. In other words, it "recalibrates" (really, re-defines center) every single time you look around with C, every time you aim with a weapon, every time you
launch the Beetle
, and so on. As far as I can tell it never uses the sensor bar again from that initial "calibration" forward.

I suspect people like Gigglepoo think this is "losing calibration" because, on occasion, you may end up aiming at a spot that clearly isn't the center of the TV- down and to the right or whatever- as though it's straight at the screen. This happens precisely because you were pointing that way when you started the aiming action. There's also the possibility that, if you whip the Remote around particularly violently, you may max out one or more the sensors and end up pointing incorrectly; these are the reasons the "Press down to Center" button exists.

Why do they redefine the aiming "Center" every time you start an aiming action, rather than just depending on the initial location of the television? I suspect it actually helps people playing. You don't have to point at the TV at all... you can point slightly down and left at all times if you wish. In fact, that will probably happen naturally and unconsciously as you let your hands rest as you play... People have always griped about having to hold your hands correctly to play Wii games, straining wrists and all that... Well, with the Zelda implementation you don't have to rigidly point right at the screen at all times (particularly helpful since you're switching to aiming items so frequently in this one). The game adjusts to however your holding the Remote at a given time, and gives the "Center" option just in case you happened to be pointing uncomfortably off in space when you started one particular action. The other reason to frequently redefine the "center" is that it represents the line drawn from the player to the screen. Unlike gravity, that line is likely to change when the player moves. If you move from one end of your couch to the other that "center" line shifts by a fairly wide arc. By constantly redefining that line the system allows the player to shift and move around with bugging him with a "recalibration" screen.

F#A#Oo

Banned
OMG how good is (fairly late spoilers)
the boss in Ancient Cistern?

Loved every bloody moment of it...he got me down to the last 2 hearts...it was like a me or you moment...and my heart was racing...

Prinny

Has anyone figured out what the vertical line issue is yet? I keep thinking it's my cable or component's cable to the tv but other people are having the problem as well.

I'm pretty sure it's normal to have them, I saw these lines in WW, TP, SS, Galaxy 1/2, and with different tv/cable too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I'm at the entrance to the second dungeon, should I have access to the bomb bag yet? I really want to go back to the woods and find out whats in those caves.

[Nintex]

I'm pretty sure it's normal to have them, I saw these lines in WW, TP, SS, Galaxy 1/2, and with different tv/cable too.

It's dithering and color banding, GameCube games like Resident Evil 4 and The Wind Waker suffered from it as well. Has something to do with there not being enough EDRAM on the Flipper/Hollywood.

Dascu

Neither the statement that it "loses" calibration frequently nor the claim that you need to point it back at the sensor bar to regain calibration is true.

Motion Plus, like every other motion control system, is attempting to define vectors in three-dimensional space. Sometimes it only needs coordinates relative to its own neutral state, sometimes it needs coordinates defined by some external point or direction. An example of the former is the tightrope "balancing", which appears to only require waving back and forth and down (to "jangle"). These are all relative to the controller itself- right is the right side of the controller, left is the left side, down is toward the bottom of the controller. This works every time I attempt it; no re-calibration is necessary.

For coordinate systems relative to some point or direction in the world the controller does different things depending on the task being asked of it. One "reference" vector it locates is "down": this is accomplished when you place the controller on a flat surface each time the game starts up or you allow the controller to turn off and then back on. The accelerometers detect the pull of gravity and set that direction as "down", and it appears to retain that calibration over long play sessions. This is used during the sword fighting (to distinguish between vertical, horizontal, and diagonal slashes) and most obviously during the "Skyward Strike" move. I've done this move after three+ hour play sessions without needing to re-calibrate; that's pretty impressive (I honestly wonder if it isn't stealthily re-calibrating when the controller is held still, without player interaction, to maintain the "down" vector).

A second "reference" in the environment is the location of your television. This is calibrated at the start of each game session by pointing at the screen and centering a pointer, aided by the sensor bar. I presume this is the part that people are complaining is getting "out of calibration". Except... that's not precisely what's happening. The location of the television defined during the "Point at the screen" step is not, as far as I can tell, used for more than the first couple startup screens (picking your save file). After that point, every single time you use any weapon or in-game element that requires "pointing" the game assumes the direction you're holding the Remote when you start the action is center. In other words, it "recalibrates" (really, re-defines center) every single time you look around with C, every time you aim with a weapon, every time you
launch the Beetle
, and so on. As far as I can tell it never uses the sensor bar again from that initial "calibration" forward.
I suspect people like Gigglepoo think this is "losing calibration" because, on occasion, you may end up aiming at a spot that clearly isn't the center of the TV- down and to the right or whatever- as though it's straight at the screen. This happens precisely because you were pointing that way when you started the aiming action. There's also the possibility that, if you whip the Remote around particularly violently, you may max out one or more the sensors and end up pointing incorrectly; these are the reasons the "Press down to Center" button exists.

Why do they redefine the aiming "Center" every time you start an aiming action, rather than just depending on the initial location of the television? I suspect it actually helps people playing. You don't have to point at the TV at all... you can point slightly down and left at all times if you wish. In fact, that will probably happen naturally and unconsciously as you let your hands rest as you play... People have always griped about having to hold your hands correctly to play Wii games, straining wrists and all that... Well, with the Zelda implementation you don't have to rigidly point right at the screen at all times (particularly helpful since you're switching to aiming items so frequently in this one). The game adjusts to however your holding the Remote at a given time, and gives the "Center" option just in case you happened to be pointing uncomfortably off in space when you started one particular action. The other reason to frequently redefine the "center" is that it represents the line drawn from the player to the screen. Unlike gravity, that line is likely to change when the player moves. If you move from one end of your couch to the other that "center" line shifts by a fairly wide arc. By constantly redefining that line the system allows the player to shift and move around with bugging him with a "recalibration" screen.

You could easily test this by plugging out your sensor bar, and you would notice that it does lose calibration without it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The joke here is that Epona doesn't appear in Skyward Sword, but Epona also doesn't appear in other games post Ocarina of Time like the Wind Waker giving us the impression that Buckley hasn't played a Zelda game since then and is making a desperate attempt to convince us his comic is still about games and not miscarrage dramas. Also to show that Epona is past her prime they melted her down into glue as shown in the last panel because glue comes from horses after you melt them down. Also glue is impossible to send over the web so she isn't DLC which is a double whammy for her because she wanted to be included as DLC. Also of note Epona is speaking to the wrong Link. At the moment OoT Link only has business dealing with the 3DS remake. If she wanted to be included with Skyward Sword she should be speaking with Link from Skyward Sword. You can tell this is the wrong Link because he lacks chainmail under the sleeves. B^U

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's the dungeon item.

Sweet, thanks.

The joke here is that Epona doesn't appear in Skyward Sword, but Epona also doesn't appear in other games post Ocarina of Time like the Wind Waker giving us the impression that Buckley hasn't played a Zelda game since then and is making a desperate attempt to convince us his comic is still about games and not miscarrage dramas. Also to show that Epona is past her prime they melted her down into glue as shown in the last panel because glue comes from horses after you melt them down. Also glue is impossible to send over the web so she isn't DLC which is a double whammy for her because she wanted to be included as DLC. Also of note Epona is speaking to the wrong Link. At the moment OoT Link only has business dealing with the 3DS remake. If she wanted to be included with Skyward Sword she should be speaking with Link from Skyward Sword. You can tell this is the wrong Link because he lacks chainmail under the sleeves. B^U

If this is a parody of how overly wordy the comics are, very nicely done.

jonno394

OMG how good is (fairly late spoilers)
the boss in Ancient Cistern?

Loved every bloody moment of it...he got me down to the last 2 hearts...it was like a me or you moment...and my heart was racing...

Just finished that dungeon and loved it and the boss especially
slicing and dicing him with his own weapon!!

Just doing the prelude to dungeon 5, I really wish
the whole of the sea of sand area, heck the whole of the time crystal affected areas could be reverted back to their full glory, just to see how amazing it would look to behold all at once

Evlar

Banned
You could easily test this by plugging out your sensor bar, and you would notice that it does lose calibration without it.

No, I haven't tested that, which is interesting. That probably explains how they're maintaining reference to the "down" vector.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not a fan of motion controls but I'm enjoying this a LOT more than I thought I would. Just cleared the first dungeon.

The game definitely has that "charm" element that some people thought was lacking with TP - the whole Pumpkin House was awesome, for instance. I love the whole way things in the distance blur in a way reminiscent of an Impressionist painting - it's a really attractive effect and makes the game's art direction stand out.

Music is awesome so far too, excepting the first dungeon theme.

Only real complaints so far are - I don't like how you have to set your own "center", instead of just relying on the Sensor Bar (like every other Wii game ever). Occasionally I will move on the couch and thus have to set up a new center, which sometimes I forget to do in the heat of the moment. Bomb/jar/rock rolling is pretty weird too, I am just not quite used to it yet. The bird was pissing me off for a little while until I learned that if you just shake up and down quickly, you can make him go fast and get a little lift.

I took off Wed and I have off Fri... so I'm looking forward to playing this game a TON over the Thanksgiving break.

Zomba13

I think I'd have more fun with the boss rush if there weren't (ugly recurring boss spoilers)
three Imprisoned fights.

Would also be nice if the prizes accumulated. Like, if 1 win gets you 10 rupees and 2 wins get you a piece of heart and you stop on fight 3 which gets you 100 rupees then you only get the 100 rupees and not everything that came before, meaning to get all the goodies you have to beat 1 and stop, then 2 and stop, then 3 and stop etc.

Yeah, there only appear to be good prizes every so many fights but it's a bit annoying.

Air

Banned
Love the game so far. The intro took me an hour, so it wasn't bad or anything. It reminded me of skies of arcadia which is a bonus. I'm in the first dungeon now, and almost died to the spiders (of all enemies to die to!) I like the combat, and have only had problems when I was "waggling". Otherwise if you actually take a second an swing properly it works. That's pretty much how it is for all of the commands. You can't really do any of them super fast. I also did not have a problem with tightrope walking and swinging either. As long as you play more calculating, I feel most of the control problems would subside (if your everything is calibrated). I probably won't play until thanksgiving or so, and that sucks.

Haunted

So do you guys stand up while playing for the sword play? Or do you play sitting down?
Lying/sitting down.

Only movement that requires some sort of re-orientation is bowling bombs (because pointing downwards is akwards while resting your hand on the bed/couch).

cajunator

Banned
I don't have a problem with dowsing. I just finished the
Kikwi section in the woods
Spent over 2 hours running around there totally missing the
rope I had to cut
. This area is beautifully designed and this game is just UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLY FUN. Seriously I think this is quickly becoming my favorite Zelda game. I LOVE THIS GAME SO FUCKING MUCH.
I am about to enter the
Skyview Temple
. This Zelda game is really special.
The rest of this game is going to be epic and incredible. Oh God Nintendo did it again. This is why I love them so much.

izakq

I remember in No More Heroes, a certain satisfaction when wielding the katana beam and destroying enemies. I'm getting that great satisfaction again when I'm simply killing bats. Loving the game so far.

TheExodu5

Banned

launch the Beetle

But it does recalibrate when you look at the sensor bar. Try covering the front of the Wii remote with your hand and flail around wildly. Now point it straight ahead, and you'll notice the sword likely isn't pointing straight ahead anymore. Take your hand off from the front of the Wii remote and notice how your sword recenters itself.

This was really easy for me to notice, because during my first play session I played with the sensor bar not set up (it fell behind the TV after I started the game). As a result, my sword was never pointing in the right direction.

edit: note that the "point remote at sensor bar to calibrate only works for the sword, and not for centering the cursor. The cursor requires you to press the center button, annoyingly. What's even stranger is that on the games main menu screen, it does use the sensor bar to recalibrate.

launch the Beetle

So, if I point the Wii Remote at the center of the television BEFORE I activate an item that requires aiming, or engage first person view, I won't have to recenter the pointer as often?

Evlar

Banned
So, if I point the Wii Remote at the center of the television BEFORE I activate an item that requires aiming, or engage first person view, I won't have to recenter the pointer as often?

That's the behavior I see.

But it does recalibrate when you look at the sensor bar. Try covering the front of the Wii remote with your hand and flail around wildly. Now point it straight ahead, and you'll notice the sword likely isn't pointing straight ahead anymore. Take your hand off from the front of the Wii remote and notice how your sword recenters itself.

This was really easy for me to notice, because during my first play session I played with the sensor bar not set up (it fell behind the TV after I started the game). As a result, my sword was never pointing in the right direction.

edit: note that the "point remote at sensor bar to calibrate only works for the sword, and not for centering the cursor. The cursor requires you to press the center button, annoyingly. What's even stranger is that on the games main menu screen, it does use the sensor bar to recalibrate.
Yeah, Dascu pointed this out. I said in my post that it defines "down" at the start of the game, when you set the controller on a flat surface, and that it was surprisingly good at keeping that direction over long play sessions, and I wondered whether it was "recalibrating" stealthily when you keep your hands still (which would be problematic... what if a player doesn't keep his hands still?) Considering what you say, it sounds like it uses the Sensor Bar (and the "pointing" vector you define at the start of the game) to redefine "down" on the fly in the middle of gameplay. Clever.

But yeah, as far as I can tell, it does not use the sensor bar for aiming at all.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

The sword uses the sensor bar to calibrate, yes.

The aiming cursor doesn't use the sensor bar, actually it doesn't use the TV at all. It works exactly like a mouse. You can move it from its central position regardless of where the TV is, just like you move a mouse on the mouse pad.

Exactly. If your neutral stance is pointing towards the middle of the television when you activate one of those items, it will be the neutral position the cursor moves from.

There's some horrible dithering in this game, kinda ruins the visual experience when it seems like I'm looking through some thick piece of cloth in ever dark area of the game.

Sad.

Top Bottom