• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Speaking of which... I want my day and night cycles! Why was this taken out?! Damn you, Nintendo!!! >:0
That would have been an awful game design decision considering the structure of this game. Only (small) regret about it is not being able to fly at night, even for mere leisure.

hirokazu

That would have been an awful game design decision considering the structure of this game. Only (small) regret about it is not being able to fly at night, even for mere leisure.
Yeah, I can see why they decided to take it out, so I was partly sarcastic. But I do miss it though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So you can hit them with your sword and pick up whatever they leave behind? feathers etc?
No, I meant with the net, that's why the quotes. Just walk to them holding Z, as soon as lock on kicks in then reduce speed to the lowest possible with the analog stick. Tap Z until you lock to the closest one to you. Watch how they take a few steps every few seconds and avoid being in front of them when they do that because if you get too close they'll fly away. And just swing up to down as soon as it seems you're in good range. I haven't upgraded my net but I get them like 9 out of 10 tries. Toughest to get for me is the flying grasshoppers that leap high and far and after a few failed attempts they fly completely away disappearing...
There is? Did I totally miss something because I don't remember anything of the sort...?
The weird birds in Faron Woods outside the dungeon area. They swoop down and poop on you.

ASIS

Yeah, really, the skies seem magical at night, Dangerous, but oh so charming.

Magnus

Just got the game. It looks decent enough on my 32" LCD but sadly it does have the vertical line quirk that plagued WW and TP (at least on darker textures/backgrounds).

Alright, so I'm not crazy? They're persistently overlaid across the whole image in dark environments, and yeah, now that I remember, it was a graphical mess in Wind Waker too! Black lines across the whole image that would flicker in and out.

....what is this?

Triton55

Well, damn.

I got my brand new 42" ST30 Panasonic Plasma all set up, connected the component cables, switched to game mode annnnnd... it looks awful. Link is unrecognizable, it's difficult to make out a door versus a splotch on the wall, and there are noticeable vertical lines whenever I'm in a darker area. I spent a solid hour fiddling with the settings, set sharpness to 0, and it doesn't look any better.

Putting the Wii and TV in 4:3 mode helps a tiny bit, but man is it weird to be playing a letterboxed game inside of a bigger TV. If I can't solve this, I may just have to hook up my CRT again to play my Wii.

The game is wonderful, though.

Same set up, and I found that hooking back up the original cables looked better than with component cables. Probably because I got them super cheap on amazon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What I like about the story so far: how it seems like Zelda is running ahead of you, having her own adventures on her "quest of the goddess", instead of just waiting kidnapped in a castle for you.

ttocs

This quote feels wrong to me after 1 hour of playtime, never mind 25. I literally have no idea what that guy is talking about, neither with the controls nor the differences versus old Zeldas.

Usually you can find something to agree with, begrudgingly or not, in any particular review, but the Gamespot one is just so bad it's laughable.

What I like about the story so far: how it seems like Zelda is running ahead of you, having her own adventures on her "quest of the goddess", instead of just waiting kidnapped in a castle for you.
Still looking forward to a Zelda game where you actually journey together with Zelda in some sort, go through a dungeon or two with her. Her being kidnapped/harmed would have a much bigger impact as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm 5 hours in and I'd say the controls are worse than the Gamespot reviewer led me to believe.

Massive input lag on the sword strikes, in particular the thrust. No camera controls. Very finicky movement controls (lining up a jump is annoying). It feels like I'm playing a proof of concept rather than a commercial title.

I expected something closer to what you'd see in the gladiator combat in PS Move. That was responsive and enjoyable.

Zomba13

Just finished it. That last boss was intense.

Kinda disappointed there wasn't another dungeon after the point of no return.

Really really enjoyed this.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Fifth dungeon down. Means I got my last B slot item and I have to say
I'm a little disappointed by how few new items there are, there's basically the beetle and that's it. Still, what it does have is a lot of fun to use.
About the items,
they are fewer than usual, but at least they are put to use all the time. You switch between them a lot more, and rolling the bombs - as awkward as it may be at first from a control standpoint - is a nice twist on an otherwise overplayed item.

Did anyone
give the love letter to the hand in the toilet?
Wondering if i screwed anything up.
You didn't. The choice changes how things pan out, but your reward is the same.

There is? Did I totally miss something because I don't remember anything of the sort...?

Also, I think a lot of you guys need to use spoiler tags better. I'm pretty sure the proper way is to allow people to be able to work out what the spoiler is generally about without having to highlight to find out.
It's the
crows in Faron Woods

Still looking forward to a Zelda game where you actually journey together with Zelda in some sort, go through a dungeon or two with her. Her being kidnapped/harmed would have a much bigger impact as well.

You should play Spirit Tracks. I found the Zelda/Link partner thing annoying as hell, but some people loved it.

I'm 5 hours in and I'd say the controls are worse than the Gamespot reviewer led me to believe.

Massive input lag on the sword strikes, in particular the thrust. No camera controls. Very finicky movement controls (lining up a jump is annoying). It feels like I'm playing a proof of concept rather than a commercial title.

I expected something closer to what you'd see in the gladiator combat in PS Move. That was responsive and enjoyable.

I'm not quite sure why you're getting input lag, but I'm sitting 3-4 feet from my TV and I'm able to slash properly for any moment I've encountered so far.

Keep in mind, the controls are not 1:1. The goal of them is to be able to properly execute on a task at hand. In the hut, were you able to slice things at certain angles? I was able to do all such things on the first try with my sitting location relative to my TV.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Alright, so I'm not crazy? They're persistently overlaid across the whole image in dark environments, and yeah, now that I remember, it was a graphical mess in Wind Waker too! Black lines across the whole image that would flicker in and out.

....what is this?
You're not crazy. I have the same issues on my TV, and it's a goddamn CRT.
A shitty one, whose screen gets covered in colored blurs (blue on the left, red on the right) whenever a bright picture stays on screen for more than a couple of seconds.

There must be something very wrong with either your setup or the way you're playing, because there's no way in hell your experience with the controls can be so different from mine.

marc^o^

I saw someone mention PES Wii regarding controls, and that was spot on. The gamespot reviewer struggling with the controls mention inconsistency, whereas it is his own inconscious resistance to change that is the source of his problems. Just as with PES Wii, this Zelda built on motion plays perfectly, it just takes a bit of good will and practice to adapt to what game designers cooked.

ASIS

Massive input lag on the sword strikes, in particular the thrust.
Biggest BS complaint concerning Zelda, why? Because every control is delayed. If you would have noticed the delay you would have noticed it with the analogue stick first.

If you move when you want, you strike when you want as well.

Reknoc

About the items,
they are fewer than usual, but at least they are put to use all the time. You switch between them a lot more, and rolling the bombs - as awkward as it may be at first from a control standpoint - is a nice twist on an otherwise overplayed item.

Yea, the bombs are great, I also like that since they're bomb flowers now I can harvest them from the actual flowers.

Chopper

Literally, the very worst thing about this game is the Thread Title. Everything else, motion-controls inclusive, are absolutely perfect. :)

....what is this?

Same with me, I have the Wii hooked up to my LCD TV through component cables, and in dark areas it looks like the screen is divided up by opaque white squares, and occasionally I get a few flickering pixels on the couple areas on the screen.

Having played both, I can say, without a doubt, that Zelda controls are very similar in responsiveness.

The fact is that if you waggle in the Gladiator combat it will take every move (the exact waggle), if you waggle here it will take whatever. This game is not for waggling. Some people miss this fact.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I hope this control scheme to be in the next Zelda games. I can't really go back. This is how motion controls should work and what they should do.

Tadale

Quickly approaching the third dungeon, can't wait to see what goes on in there considering how creative and fun the area surrounding it has been.

My one complaint has to be the dousing. Seems like it's quickly falling in to a pattern of having to use it before each dungeon, though I don't know how it evolves later on in the game. It reminds me of having to collect the tears in Twilight Princess, though not even remotely as boring.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Having played both, I can say, without a doubt, that Zelda controls are very similar in responsiveness.

The fact is that if you waggle in the Gladiator combat it will take every move (the exact waggle), if you waggle here it will take whatever. This game is not for waggling. Some people miss this fact.

Yeah, do not attempt to waggle against Ghirahim or you'll get a Game Over screen like i did. A game over screen in a 3D Zelda game. *shame*

Orayn

Loving this as well. You're not rescuing her so much as you're trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My one complaint has to be the dousing. Seems like it's quickly falling in to a pattern of having to use it before each dungeon, though I don't know how it evolves later on in the game. It reminds me of having to collect the tears in Twilight Princess, though not even remotely as boring.

You don't have to use the dousing mechanism, it just helps point you in the right directions. I certainly needed it a few times when hunting around before the second dungeon.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is massive lag folks, don't joke around, it's not hyperbole or anything.
Don't watch past 56 seconds if you were on media blackout or whatever.

It could very well be Dolphin that's introducing the input lag, and if that is the case, I apologize. The lag I'm experiencing is, I would guess, about 300-500ms worse than it is in that video. It actually seems pretty responsive in that video.

I've said I would give it a shot on the actuall Wii at some point...I just need to figure out how to transfer my save file over.

edit: my complaints regarding movement and the lack of camera controls remain, however. It's pretty inexcusable that there are no camera controls considering left, right on the d-pad aren't even used for anything.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Loving this as well. You're not rescuing her so much as you're trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Well, given this game is supposed to be
about the origin of the "legend" of Zelda itself, it make sense that Zelda is a dynamic and powerful character on her own. It's a good thing that they actually grasped this in story construction.

I'm playing the game on the Wii and the controls are, dare I say it, perfect. Roughly in the ballpark of that video above. I really, really like them a lot.

Just about my only complaint for the game at this point would be the obvious "aliasing is terrible!" which the art design helps with a little bit. The art is not quite as drastic as Okami, but it's really pretty and surprisingly creative in many aspects. Particularly including the obligatory ugly townsfolk. I don't mind the blur in the distance; I think it looks like a nice watercolor overlay.

I haven't played a heck of a lot yet, but I can definitely say that this new Zelda is grabbing my attention and not letting go, which is a very high compliment considering how many other games are on my plate.

Zomba13

It could very well be Dolphin that's introducing the input lag, and if that is the case, I apologize. The lag I'm experiencing is, I would guess, about 300-500ms worse than it is in that video. It actually seems pretty responsive in that video.

I've said I would give it a shot on the actuall Wii at some point...I just need to figure out how to transfer my save file over.

edit: my complaints regarding movement and the lack of camera controls remain, however. It's pretty inexcusable that there are no camera controls considering left, right on the d-pad aren't even used for anything.

I agree with camera control (sometimes Z to face the camera where you want isn't an option because of things it locks on to) and movement (though it's always been like this in 3D Zeldas). They are minor problems though. The rest of the game and controls (imo) more than makes up for it.

marc^o^

In 2011, it's pretty inexcusable all similar games (well, the 2 of them) don't offer motion controls as good as this wii title. My point being it's really easy to find inexcusable things in all games.

Tadale

You don't have to use the dousing mechanism, it just helps point you in the right directions. I certainly needed it a few times when hunting around before the second dungeon.

It's not really the dousing I have issues with, more the idea that you have to hunt for several things before each dungeon. It kind of just seems like padding if it's each time you're going in to a new dungeon.

IRegarding controls, the only issue I really noticed is the rope walking sometimes screws up. It's usually really responsive and perfect, but on a few occasions it seems to have locked as if I'm holding it to the right and link keeps falling every couple of steps, always to the right. Nothing I did with the wiinote would sort out his balance. This has only happened a few times but it was very frustrating.

TheExodu5

Banned
IRegarding controls, the only issue I really noticed is the rope walking sometimes screws up. It's usually really responsive and perfect, but on a few occasions it seems to have locked as if I'm holding it to the right and link keeps falling every couple of steps, always to the right. Nothing I did with the wiinote would sort out his balance. This has only happened a few times but it was very frustrating.

That's because MotionPlus loses calibration quite often. To recalibrate it, you have to point the Wii remote at the sensor bar.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regarding controls, the only issue I really noticed is the rope walking sometimes screws up. It's usually really responsive and perfect, but on a few occasions it seems to have locked as if I'm holding it to the left and link keeps falling every couple of steps, always to the rigt. Nothing I did with the wiinote would sort out his balance. This has only happened a few times but it was very frustrating.

Best way to do rope walking is to hold the controller straight up, and just gently tip left and right at the same pace Link walks. Like a metronome.

taoofjord

Has anyone figured out what the vertical line issue is yet? I keep thinking it's my cable or component's cable to the tv but other people are having the problem as well.

Bah, UPS just dropped the game off at the door, and I'm stuck at work. Sounds like everyone who has been playing it has been a blast so far!

Can't wait to get this game rolling tomorrow once work is finished tonight.

DonMigs85

Hmm

cad-20111121-e151c.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's because MotionPlus loses calibration quite often. To recalibrate it, you have to point the Wii remote at the sensor bar.

I wonder if my M+ requires manual recalibration more often because my sensor bar is actually about two feet to the left of my "screen"

EDIT: Holy shit, that CAD is bad. Like, not even funnily bad, just.....badly written, badly paced and bad bad bad. That's like a first draft that you trim down and tighten up, not something you release.

Frillen

So I got a heart medal but my pouch is full and I didn't pay attention when Pi told where the item was sent. Where are items sent when your pouch is full?

Edit: Figured it out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Best way to do rope walking is to hold the controller straight up, and just gently tip left and right at the same pace Link walks. Like a metronome.

Again, that works as long as the controller is properly calibrated. But, if you had been using the controller for a short time without ever looking at the sensor bar, chances are it's no longer calibrated.

This is a bigger issue with me than most people, as I play the Wii sitting at a PC desk. The line of sight in between the Wii remote and sensor bar is broken quite easily, since I'm sitting so close to it. As a result, I lose calibration quite often.

I wonder if my M+ requires manual recalibration more often because my sensor bar is actually about two feet to the left of my "screen"

If it's to the left of your screen, the centering point is probably off. I assume if you aim the remote right at the TV, your sword is probably pointing to the right a little bit.

That is, unless the "aim your Wii remote at the center of the screen" calibration when you boot up the game takes this into account.

Still, your Wii remote will need to see the sensor bar for it to recalibrate itself while playing, so if you tend to not keep it pointed towards the sensor bar, you may lose calibration quite often.

Top Bottom