• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

BY2K

Membero Americo
OOoooh, and now he says it's the OTHERS that are saying bullshit (Regurgitating PR, as he says) when they say you can't waggle in the game or you'll die.

(The other dude adds: "Almost to a point where it's the only way (to waggle to win)".)

Well, for the bats and blobs yes. (And ultimately when you do a successful parry, but still...)

This is an honest question to every single person out there, how on earth can you place an opinion (or even an impression) of the game when you are this early? I don't care if it's positive or negative for the love of god have patience.

This is not my impression of the entire game. Lord no. I wouldn't ever do that. What I've given is my impression of the game up until that point. It's what I think of the game so far. It's subject to and likely to change.

I did the same. Unfortunately I found the little fucker sitting curled up licking itself in one of the professors chairs later in the game.

Yeah, once it sees you it just gets up and follows you around with the creepiest look on its face...

indeed. when i figured that out, i was like "holy shit this is fucking cool" lol. im trying so hard to play this without any kind of consultation since it just feels so good when you figure it out

i died so many times fighting skulltulas. forgot where i heard it, but every new fight is a puzzle, which i love and hate at the same time haha

Yeah, the skulltulas took me a minute to figure out. Unfortunately it looks like my Wii's GPU is dying, so I may have to put SS on hiatus :(

Varion

How did some of you guys beat it already isn't it supposed to be 30 hrs long or whatever?
Get a day before the European release from ShopTo in the UK, play 10-14 hours a day. It's just addictive like that, I have no regrets. Or shame. Final playtime was 61:44 doing everything there is to do.

God, Ancient Cistern is the motherfucking boss of dungeons in this game
It also has the best boss in the game for that matter. Loved that fight so much, that second half.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
OOoooh, and now he says it's the OTHERS that are saying bullshit (Regurgitating PR, as he says) when they say you can't waggle in the game or you'll die.

(The other dude adds: "Almost to a point where it's the only way (to waggle to win)".)

Seriously, who cares what they're saying? You could be using this time playing the game?

Foxix Von

I'm really still just starting still, maybe 3 hours in or so but is Fi literally spoiling the whole experience for anyone else, or is it just me?

I am enjoying it. Probably 1/3 of the way in.

That said. I really prefer twilight princess......this game just feel clunky....and while its beautiful I don't FEEL the games art like I did Princess. I do enjoy the bump in combat difficulty though. Spin and finishing attack controls are dumbass. I also despise that I can't run and slash my sword. Two steps forward with controls and 1 step back.

And Midna kicks fi's ass. What a worthless, trash, throwaway, pathetic excuse for a character.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sweet. My nunchuk breaks, I get a new one today to play Zelda. "PLEASE INSERT NUNCHUK IN YOUR WII REMOTE CONTROLLER". Yeah screw you. The Nunchuk works just fine in other games. That's what I get for buying a used one.

Obviously I pick out the one used controller that is actually official Nintendo brand just to be on the safe side and the dude at the counter picks out some 3rd party trash. :\ I didn't notice until I got home! Oh well, I'll just have to go and return/change it tomorrow and hope for better luck.

It SHOULD be covered by the warranty.

GWX

I am enjoying it. Probably 1/3 of the way in.

That said. I really prefer twilight princess......this game just feel clunky....and while its beautiful I don't FEEL the games are like I did Princess. I do enjoy the bump in combat difficulty though.

And Midna kicks fi's ass. What a worthless, trash, throwaway, pathetic excuse for a character.

Stop playing Skyward Sword now and try to replay TP. I dare you.

jackdoe

Got in another hour but stopped due to frustration with forward thrust unresponsiveness in Skyview Temple. Wanted to throw my controller at my TV. After I've had time to cool off my anger, I'll probably go back to it.

Varion

Yeah it's probably my favorite as well...that and the fifth dungeon's boss.
Yeah the fifth dungeon boss was another fantastic one. I love how it
even threw out the idea of fighting the boss in the boss room with that whole section where you're heading for the deck while the tentacles are busting in through the walls and a storm's raging outside.

Really memorable fight.

Got in another hour but stopped due to frustration with forward thrust unresponsiveness in Skyview Temple. Wanted to throw my controller at my TV. After I've had time to cool off my anger, I'll probably go back to it.

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to have trouble pulling off a forward thrust? I've read so many complaints about this but I've never had an issue with it. In fact a lot of the time I do forward thrusts by accident.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't think it will change.

TP was my first Zelda game....easily my favorite game of all time.

Everyone else - OoT

Me - TP

What am I then? I hold Wind Waker closest to my heart (So far, can't tell if Skyward is good, damn you 3rd party shitchuk)

Stop playing Skyward Sword now and try to replay TP. I dare you.

TP was an utterly fantastic game, so I think its just a matter of opinion. It was absolutely epic in terms of dungeons, bossfights, etc. and also incredibly original. I'll never understand the hate it got.

Varion

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to have trouble pulling off a forward thrust? I've read so many complaints about this but I've never had an issue with it. In fact a lot of the time I do forward thrusts by accident.
Never had any problems with it either, I only use them when I have to but I can't remember any occasion where I haven't pulled one off right when needed.

I've never had any trouble with any of the sword controls though, except for skyward strikes getting interrupted in the middle of charging in battle sometimes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think it will change.

TP was my first Zelda game....easily my favorite game of all time.

Everyone else - OoT

Me - TP
No... Majora's Mask is my favourite, with Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past following closely behind...

My first Zelda was The Legend of Zelda. It certainly is not my favourite Zelda title. Edit: Ohhhh, okay, you clarified.

GWX

TP is underrated, the latter dungeons are just awesome.

It's true, but it's a chore until you get there. Skyward Sword is a much nicer experience overall. I just entered the second dungeon, and it has been an amazing ride so far. I haven't been this engaged so early while playing a Zelda title.

Pyrrhus

Christ, the controls are a gummy mess. Fucking motion control. Five years on and it's still a gimmick. This generation can't end soon enough. I never thought I'd see the day when three new Zelda games in a row would be mediocre. This is not trolling; this is despair.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Remember that this is the site that was outed for basically taking bribes to give good scores. So yeah, who cares what they have to say.

Are you talking about that one review of Kain and Lynch that got what's-his-face fired?

robot

3 hours in and so far so good. Thank god they let you hide that hud, I almost threw up when I first started. Music is fantastic, love the art style and some of the character designs are awesome - the 3 bullies in town especially. Does choosing different responses provide anything interesting besides a different follow up line from the npc?

Would've much rather had a traditional controller to play with instead but I say that about almost every other Wii game. Actually wish I was able to get the LE since I'm playing with the motion plus attachment and it's kinda annoying having that extension on there. Might go pick up a wiimote plus, too bad it wont be gold though. Sniff sniff.

Am I the only one Avatar vibes from the whole bird concept and Cortana vibes from Fi's character? Kinda shallow comparisons but I couldn't help think it.

GWX

I won't have the trouble to quote every single one, but... These people that have problems with the controls: you are doing it wrong. It's the only way. You guys aren't trying hard enough to master the control skin.

Lucentto

Banned
My copy of the special edition shipped from Amazon, with a free $10 credit code. Thank you Amazon, you have reminded me why I love you.

I never finished OOT (My sister did most of the heavy lifting back in those days) so the first Zelda I really beat on my own was WW. I love it but only if I don't think about the tri-force quest(I actually took a long break from the game because of that shit). as for TP, I think I look at with higher regard due to it being the first Wii game I really played.

First game on any new system you buy is always good no matter what...luckily I'm normally good with that. (Genesis was Sonic 2, N64 was Mario 64, PS1 was Marvel Vs Capcom, GC was Smash Bros Melee, Dreamcast was SA2, and Wii was TP) PS3 was the only downone as I got Nba street 4....but I was broke.

So I'm not a big Zelda guy in terms of what I should be but hey as long as the game is fun I don;t care about scores....I'm actually hyped since I haven't really kept up with this and the stuff I did see...I forgot.

So we will see.

jackdoe

I won't have the trouble to quote every single one, but... These people that have problems with the controls: you are doing it wrong. It's the only way. You guys aren't trying hard enough to master the control skin.
Bullshit about the lack of effort. I'm trying my hardest to get it to work which makes it all the more frustrating when it doesn't work.

No amount of rationalizing will make the decision to make spin attack require you to swish BOTH the remote and nunchuck not suck.

My problem may be that I am trying to play with hand on lap like I do in most Wii games......idk

TheExodu5

Banned
The controls work a certain percentage of the time. Sometimes, it misinterprets my motion. The faster I go, the quicker it loses calibration and the more chance it has to misinterpret my motion. A button press would be better, plain and simple.

Bullshit about the lack of effort. I'm trying my hardest to get it to work which makes it all the more frustrating when it doesn't work.

I don't have it so fuck what I say but it kinda have to be on your end if some aren't haven;t that much problem.

There might be a very specific way to play it or something. Hope I don't have the issues some of you are having.

lol perhaps there are too many cellphones in your room /Miyamoto e3

Top Bottom