• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Medalion

Banned
I am stuck in the Earth Temple in the 2nd main chamber trying to figure out how to raise a bridge from the lava... I raised one part of it using the rolling boulder by banging into the switch, but I cannot get access to the other side because of two columns blockings its path that won't budge

I've checked my map, backtracked to other rooms, and sent my flying beetle out but could not find anything useful

Bullza2o

I just finished the first boss, and reading this last page it seems some people had a hard time with him as well.

I still could not believe I died on the first boss fight...thankfully I had a fairy in a bottle. After that though I actually just needed one more hit to finish the boss.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am stuck in the Earth Temple in the 2nd main chamber trying to figure out how to raise a bridge from the lava... I raised one part of it using the rolling boulder by banging into the switch, but I cannot get access to the other side because of two columns blockings its path that won't budge

I've checked my map, backtracked to other rooms, and sent my flying beetle out but could not find anything useful

Look for any unusual marks on your map for the central room you're in

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man I do not get the "first dungeon is horrible" crowd. It wasn't amazing but it was pretty good. The
Beetle
is so much fun to use.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sooooo, GameSpot pulled a G4 (or Morgan Webb, rather) and called Skyward Sword too cutesy.

Also apparently Tom McShea said his Skyward Sword score wouldn't change even if the control were better. (He thinks controls are only means to an end and don't affect his score, which I completely disagree with, but that's another matter.)

EDIT: Correction, he didn't say Skyward Sword was too cutesy, but rather the whole series. (And it's not Tom who made that comment.)

So if controls weren't the reason for the score, as they were stated in the review, then the score really was just for trolling and hits....?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
*Smacks head*

Really now???? Geez can't believe I missed that O__o
It gets a lot easier once you know that.

Your map has the solution:
one of the walls on the right side has a very small crack, you can see what's behind it on the map

Man I do not get the "first dungeon is horrible" crowd. It wasn't amazing but it was pretty good. The
Beetle
is so much fun to use.
It's not horrible. Just short and somewhat plain.

fernoca

Check the map,
the red X, boom!
:p

BY2K

Membero Americo
So if controls weren't the reason for the score, as they were stated in the review, then the score really was just for trolling and hits....?

He hates the padding. The fetch quests. Re-used bosses. (What the problem with having to fight
Ghirahim
and the
The Imprisoned 3 times
?)

OH WOW people are NOT gonna like that. He just compared Skyward Sword's linearity to Call of Duty's... Oh boy people are not gonna like this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He hates the padding. The fetch quests. Re-used bosses. (What the problem with having to fight
Ghirahim
and the
The Imprisoned 3 times
?)

OH WOW people are NOT gonna like that. He just compared Skyward Sword's linearity to Call of Duty's... Oh boy people are not gonna like this.

They really do have to just be trolling Zelda fans at this point. Only explanation...

ASIS

Ghirahim
and the
The Imprisoned 3 times
?)

.... what? I did not just read this did I?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
He's a GAFfer, there was a discussion here where he pointed out the aiming (which was stressed out as the worst part in the review) wasn't actually the biggest problem with the controls. He also seemingly showed up that he didn't figure out you're not pointing at the TV at all.

Really?

Medalion

Banned
it probably isn't helping I turned down the sharpness to 0 and engaged heavy noise reduction, the game is blurry as fuck get out right now

BY2K

Membero Americo
I swear I'm not making this up, check the latest Hot Spot and GameSpot and you'll see. It starts right off with Zelda so there's no unnecessary listening.

Eagle316

Got the game last night (like most people). I am not far into the game, but it already has the same magical feel that Ocarina of Time had. The control is spot on, characters are interesting, it's funny, flying is great, and it is, simply put, fun.

I own all 3 systems, and frankly, I am so tired of all the recent "dust off your Wii" articles. Wii has had just as many memorable experiences for me as the other consoles.

Skyward Sword is an excellent magnum opus to a very good console.

ASIS

I swear I'm not making this up, check the latest Hot Spot and GameSpot and you'll see. It starts right off with Zelda so there's no unnecessary listening.

I'm not even going to bother. It's one thing to not like the game, it's another to be factually wrong about it.

BTW how are you finding the game so far?

Kandinsky

Sooooo, GameSpot pulled a G4 (or Morgan Webb, rather) and called Skyward Sword too cutesy.

Also apparently Tom McShea said his Skyward Sword score wouldn't change even if the control were better. (He thinks controls are only means to an end and don't affect his score, which I completely disagree with, but that's another matter.)

EDIT: Correction, he didn't say Skyward Sword was too cutesy, but rather the whole series. (And it's not Tom who made that comment.)

who caaaareeees... enjoy the game man.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just got the game and popped it in.

I'm just at the opening but I found two of my first "Nintendo rocks" moments in the classroom...

*Karane + Caw... scribbled on the blackboard.
*If you sit in the chair at the front, the teacher yells at you. :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Not going to bother, tbh. Doesn't seem worth it. Dissenting opinions can be very important and propel interesting discussion, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

But it looks so good.
Hell yes.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm not even going to bother. It's one thing to not like the game, it's another to be factually wrong about it.

BTW how are you finding the game so far?

Really, really, great. I think the intro is good, Fi is a Captain Obvious but it's still not annoying... yet. I'm about to enter the 3rd Dungeon. And the area before that was nicely done, the time stone mechanic is brilliant. The first 2 dungeons are short but the boss fights are great. Ghirahim is amazing in my book. (Both his boss battle and the character.)

Speaking of characters, the NPC are great as well. The shop owner all excited when you look at his store and the sad reaction when you walk away is charming. Groose looking sad when you go see him after Zelda is gone is hilarious.

Controls work great, I don't care what anybody can say. They feel a little off after some time, no biggie, gear screen re-center/re-calibrate and I'm back in action.

You yeah, loving this game right now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Who cares what those guys on gamestop think.

Fact 1: I am enjoying Skyward Sword

Fact 2: They are not

Conclusion: I win!

Vire

For Tom: "Every Zelda after Ocarina of Time is a 7.5/8."

Windwaker is nothing short of a masterpiece. Besides the unfortunate Tri Force collecting, it's one of my absolute favorites.

But hey, he's entitled to it.

AHHHHH I don't have to kill myself at Walmart to find this game! It was at Target! The website said they were all sold out, so I lost hope, but I went to check anyway and there they were!

I've played up until I have to go into the green thingy under the sky, so I still haven't done any dungeons yet. So far the game is enjoyable, but unspectacular. The characters are all very well done, better than all the previous games. Animations are great. Didn't like that you couldn't change the HUD immediately. Text scrolls kind of slow for my taste, even when I speed it up. A lot of tutorial that I either knew already or figured out in a few seconds. Best moment so far:
When you see the dude's cat you saved earlier as Fi is guiding you through the path and it becomes a werewolf and starts attacking you.
I threw it into the abyss.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I wish my roommates would leave the living room. I want to play Skyward Sword dammit.

Currently, I'm listening to the CD. Each song is so beautiful. I'd have to say the Wind Waker medley is my favorite. I forgot how great that game's soundtrack was.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hmmm... he doesn't like the last dungeon. Anybody else feels like that too? (People who finished the game, obviously.)

ASIS

AHHHHH I don't have to kill myself at Walmart to find this game! It was at Target! The website said they were all sold out, so I lost hope, but I went to check anyway and there they were!

I've played up until I have to go into the green thingy under the sky, so I still haven't done any dungeons yet. So far the game is enjoyable, but unspectacular. The characters are all very well done, better than all the previous games. Animations are great. Didn't like that you couldn't change the HUD immediately. Text scrolls kind of slow for my taste, even when I speed it up. So much tutorial that I either knew already or figured out in a few seconds. Most spectacular moment so far:
When you see the dude's cat you saved earlier as Fi is guiding you through the path and it becomes a werewolf and starts attacking you.

This is an honest question to every single person out there, how on earth can you place an opinion (or even an impression) of the game when you are this early? I don't care if it's positive or negative for the love of god have patience.

I've played up until I have to go into the green thingy under the sky, so I still haven't done any dungeons yet. So far the game is enjoyable, but unspectacular. The characters are all very well done, better than all the previous games. Animations are great. Didn't like that you couldn't change the HUD immediately. Text scrolls kind of slow for my taste, even when I speed it up. A lot of tutorial that I either knew already or figured out in a few seconds. Best moment so far:

I did the same. Unfortunately I found the little fucker sitting curled up licking itself in one of the professors chairs later in the game.

I wish my roommates would leave the living room. I want to play Skyward Sword dammit.

Currently, I'm listening to the CD. Each song is so beautiful. I'd have to say the Wind Waker medley is my favorite. I forgot how great that game's soundtrack was.

The Geredu Valley remix is the stuff of legends

That shit will get played a ton when I get mine tomorrow (I better amazon...).

Varion

Hmmm... he doesn't like the last dungeon. Anybody else feels like that too? (People who finished the game, obviously.)
Yeah. All the dungeons before it were between good to great but the last one was quite a big letdown to me. The basic concept was cool enough, but the actual contents of it weren't. New puzzles or not it didn't feel fitting for a final dungeon at all, especially considering what you were in there for.

Fortunately everything from when you're done with it to when the credits are done rolling is awesome.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay bit of spoilers here.

Tom: You want to see the end, but your like "do I really want to
swim underwater for the next half hour?
I don't wanna."
Games Guide Guy: Yeah, cause along with the
tear collecting
things you have to do it a total of 5 times.
Tom: Was it 5? I thought it was 4.
GGG: 4
tears
plus the
fish
Tom: *Laughs* Oh my God!

... Why is he so surprised? Did he actually finished the game?

Finally got to the first dungeon (taking it slow, exploring, etc.), and though many people say everything improves after the first dungeon, I'm really enjoying it. I love how they immediately throw classic Zelda conventions out the window with the first switch of the dungeon (the
eyeball that you have to circle your sword around to confuse it
). I almost seriously considered consulting Fi. Plus, even regular enemy fights are tough in this game.

indeed. when i figured that out, i was like "holy shit this is fucking cool" lol. im trying so hard to play this without any kind of consultation since it just feels so good when you figure it out

i died so many times fighting skulltulas. forgot where i heard it, but every new fight is a puzzle, which i love and hate at the same time haha

The bad thing about work: It eats into your gaming time. I just wanna keep playing Skyward Sword forever. But alas, manual labor calls. This is one of those games where it'll be on my mind for the entire shift. Games like that are really rare for me.

Top Bottom