• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

I've gotta ask...what causes the extra percussion to be added to the sky overworld's music? I could've sworn that it was getting near that giant cloud mass that does it, but I just had it happen to me waaaay over by the Lumpy Pumpkin...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
WHY ARE YOU SO CONFLICTED IN WHAT YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS GAME??? I have just learned reading this thread that if you question bad design choices you are at odds with yourself, and irrationally demand contradictory things from the game. And when you do that the cool kids will burn you with their scathing wit.
If you're talking about my post, the point was that it's funny how different people can have wildly different experiences. It was by no means an attack to criticism, especially considering I did criticize the handholding myself.

AniHawk

back in 04 i had this idea for a zelda game.

it was early 04, before the tp reveal, and i wanted a prequel to ocarina of time. it would be cel-shaded, but with a style more like oot's and less like tww. a nice compromise between the two, and something to please both camps.

it would definitely be the backstory to oot, starring not-link as the main character. i figured this would allow this particular zelda game not to be bound by traditional zelda rules, and allow for voice acting and a less traditional 'you saved the day!' ending. it would have been the game to tie in zelda ii, with the main character knowing the early royal family and failing at his quest to save her from eternal slumber. later, much of the game would be set during the unification war. my idea was that it would mean a lot more focus on swordfighting, using mgs2's final boss fight as a template.

now my ideal zelda game is: guy (link, not not-link) wakes up and he's in some sort of dungeon. the beginning of the game is literally the first dungeon, and through it you learn all you need to learn: block pushing, climbing, running, swinging, swordfighting, whatever. real trial by fire sort of stuff. then at the end you come out of it into this overworld and exposition happens and the game really begins.

skyward sword is a lot of what i wanted back in 04, so i'm glad to see that. maybe now they'll steal this idea- especially since i put it up on the internets for them. no mind reading necessary this time.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Game Text Box: You got sacred water!
Fi: There is 90% chance this is sacred water.
Me: THE GAME JUST TOLD ME! How can you NOT be 100% sure!? Dumb bitch!

GOD she's awful!

Pietepiet

I've gotta ask...what causes the extra percussion to be added to the sky overworld's music? I could've sworn that it was getting near that giant cloud mass that does it, but I just had it happen to me waaaay over by the Lumpy Pumpkin...

Enemies near you, as far as I know. There's octorocks on some of the floating rocks, and those little crows fly around too, carrying ruppees.

about 10-11 hours in and just got to the second dungeon.

gonna stop playing now cause i just want to savor this game as much as i can

i also love shooting the beetle at the orc looking dudes and watch them run away in fear. its hilarious lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Game Text Box: You got sacred water!
Fi: There is 90% chance this is sacred water.
Me: THE GAME JUST TOLD ME! How can you NOT be 100% sure!? Dumb bitch!
thatsthejoke.jpg

Or, well, at least I hope it was intentional to never have her completely sure of anything.

Garcia

Just finished the 2nd dungeon.... That boss fight was so thrilling! It wasn't just the fast paced action but also the morphing orchestral music which got me all pumped LOL !

And all the ordeals and collectathon you must complete before entering the Dungeon, man, pure fun!

cajunator

Banned
OH MY GOD THIS GAME. THIS FUCKING GAME IS GLORIOUS.
I LOVE THIS SO DAMNED MUCH.
I am at
Eldin Volcano
and
bowling bombs
to kill those
fire fish monkey
things. This game is so ridiculously fun. I even loved the first temple and fighting
Ghirahim
is incredibly addictive. I want to fight that battle over and over. Just got the
mole mitts
too. This place is rupee heaven. This game is my dream game. It is fast becoming my favorite Zelda game, even above the dearly beloved Wind Waker and for me, that's no small feat. This game is that fun. Honestly, rating this game a 7 or 8 is doing it a vast injustice. It is far better deserving now that I've played it. This is an absolutely euphoric experience playing this game.

RagnarokX

I'm just before 3rd dungeon. Game is amazing so far. Fi was only annoying in the first area, and sometimes what she says can be endearing. For example, I took out the bug net and had her analyze a fairy and she joked that she was 90% sure it was a fairy but there was a 10% chance that it was some strange new kind of bug.

now my ideal zelda game is: guy (link, not not-link) wakes up and he's in some sort of dungeon. the beginning of the game is literally the first dungeon, and through it you learn all you need to learn: block pushing, climbing, running, swinging, swordfighting, whatever. real trial by fire sort of stuff. then at the end you come out of it into this overworld and exposition happens and the game really begins.

That'd be an awesome way to start a game actually... I can imagine coming out of the dungeon onto the overworld, blinded by the light at first and then the visuals adjusting to some jaw dropping vista of Hyrule -- the first dungeon could be classic but good looking dungeon fare, dark and dank. Stepping out onto a complex, colourful HD overworld would be the first moment where you realise that the world is so large and rich, and that they are now able to do so much more.

I want one vantage point from where nearly all of Hyrule is visible. I used to imagine looking out from Death Mountain in Link to the Past as a kid, and my imagination filled in so many blanks at those end credits with the Tower of Hera on that golden horizon turning blue. Skyward Sword had some great views of proto-Hyrule, I hope with Wii-U they are able to offer even more amazing views.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

skyward sword is a lot of what i wanted back in 04, so i'm glad to see that. maybe now they'll steal this idea- especially since i put it up on the internets for them. no mind reading necessary this time.
Considering Miyamoto seemingly want to direct Zelda WiiU himself, I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
OH MY GOD THIS GAME. THIS FUCKING GAME IS GLORIOUS.
I LOVE THIS SO DAMNED MUCH.
I am at
Eldin Volcano
and
bowling bombs
to kill those
fire fish monkey
things. This game is so ridiculously fun. I even loved the first temple and fighting
Ghirahim
is incredibly addictive. I want to fight that battle over and over. Just got the
mole mitts
too. This place is rupee heaven. This game is my dream game. It is fast becoming my favorite Zelda game, even above the dearly beloved Wind Waker and for me, that's no small feat. This game is that fun. Honestly, rating this game a 7 or 8 is doing it a vast injustice. It is far better deserving now that I've played it. This is an absolutely euphoric experience playing this game.

That's about where I am, and I too am loving this game immensely! ^_^

I'm listening to the most recent episode of the Hotspot and they're talking about
revisting the same areas, fighting the same boss three times, 4 identical fetch quests
and I'm getting worried.

I'm only at the third dungeon and I'm really liking it so far, but that shit sounds awful.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The girl with the wounded bird is the best designed character in a Zelda ever. She looks better than Zelda. Link should forget about Zelda and just stay on Skyloft with her.

Oxx

Nice to see that my copy has finally arrived.

I'll probably end-up listening to the album before I get to play the game, though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm listening to the most recent episode of the Hotspot and they're talking about
revisting the same areas, fighting the same boss three times, 4 identical fetch quests
and I'm getting worried.

I'm only at the third dungeon and I'm really liking it so far, but that shit sounds awful.
Except a few (fortunately short) instances, it's not.

Nicktendo86

Decided to take it a bit easier last night and do some side quests to really savour everything. I'm never that much of a sidequest person but man had such fun last night just flying around, looking for islands and helping people. I completed all of the tasks for the
pumpkin guy
found
that little kid and saved her from the 'monster'
and also had a go at the
fun fun island game
. After a while decided to go back to the main story and
entered the cloud vortex thing

So far have played for about 15 hours and have loved every minute. Wasn't too sure about the sky parts at first but love it now, nothing quite like soaring through the clouds. Amazing game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So far have played for about 15 hours and have loved every minute. Wasn't too sure about the sky parts at first but love it now, nothing quite like soaring through the clouds. Amazing game.
The sky looks empty and barren at first, but over time you get more and more stuff to do. The sidequests, minigames and the chests you unlock make the place a lot more interesting.

Nicktendo86

The sky looks empty and barren at first, but over time you get more and more stuff to do. The sidequests, minigames and the chests you unlock make the place a lot more interesting.

Indeed, starting to notice that already. I read a quote, I think in Edge, that says Zelda games usually feel smaller the further you go. SS seems like the opposite, it opens up and just gets bigger.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Indeed, starting to notice that already. I read a quote, I think in Edge, that says Zelda games usually feel smaller the further you go. SS seems like the opposite, it opens up and just gets bigger.
Yep. Things evolve over time and more events unlock, often out of nowhere. I kept going back to the sky every time I progressed enough through the game specifically to check for new stuff.

Hopefully. The padding in TP was shit and they made it sound like there was a fair bit of padding in this game.
There is some backtracking, but
the shortcuts you unlock the first time around allow you not to waste a lot of time in the areas you have already visited before reaching new ones. With a few exceptions, most of which have significant changes in gameplay.

That, in no way, can be called a filler.

I think it can be. Luckily, its not bad filler, some of them are actually challenging and fun - unlike the borefests that were in the first three areas of Twilight Princess.

Ultimately, I think people look at any arbitrary generic item collection as a bit cheap. If the tears were ruppees just laying about the land, you'd think it was silly. Give them a 'spiritual' purpose and make things chase you and suddenly they become 'trials'. If in dungeons you had to find an arbitrary 15 items to continue, you'd be pissed...

Like I say, thankfully they were short and strategy was required on one or two to keep them interesting. I definitely don't want to see this kind of mechanic again though -- someone on the Zelda team has been obsessed with the idea since the Phantoms in Phantom Hourglass.

Nicktendo86

I think it can be. Luckily, its not bad filler, some of them are actually challenging and fun - unlike the borefests that were in the first three areas of Twilight Princess.

Ultimately, I think people look at any arbitrary generic item collection as a bit cheap. If the tears were ruppees just laying about the land, you'd think it was silly. Give them a 'spiritual' purpose and make things chase you and suddenly they become 'trials'. If in dungeons you had to find an arbitrary 15 items to continue, you'd be pissed...

Like I say, thankfully they were short and strategy was required on one or two to keep them interesting. I definitely don't want to see this kind of mechanic again though -- someone on the Zelda team has been obsessed with the idea since the Phantoms in Phantom Hourglass.

Ummm I suppose it is difficult to draw the line between simple filler and genuine gameplay, looking forward to getting to these part to try it for myself...

jonno394

Ummm I suppose it is difficult to draw the line between simple filler and genuine gameplay, looking forward to getting to these part to try it for myself...

The way I look at it is that there are items you NEED and they don't just want to hand them to you for nothing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Finished the 2nd dungeon. It was pretty cool and i was kinda slow to realize that the boss had the same
"throw a bomb at him while his mouth is open" mechanic from King Dodongo in OOT. :lol

And the
sheikah woman was kinda harsh on Link. :( "You suck, you're too slow, Zelda would have died without me, you're a terrible hero"
Poor Link.

casual/new players > veteran zelda players

There's more money in it if they cater to new players, so eventhough they could make some adjustments to better the experience for the veteran players it's just not on their priority list.
Let-s assume for a second that your statement is correct. Then why Nintendo raised the difficulty of the game? People are dying more in this game than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

That'd be an awesome way to start a game actually... I can imagine coming out of the dungeon onto the overworld, blinded by the light at first and then the visuals adjusting to some jaw dropping vista of Hyrule -- the first dungeon could be classic but good looking dungeon fare, dark and dank. Stepping out onto a complex, colourful HD overworld would be the first moment where you realise that the world is so large and rich, and that they are now able to do so much more.

I want one vantage point from where nearly all of Hyrule is visible. I used to imagine looking out from Death Mountain in Link to the Past as a kid, and my imagination filled in so many blanks at those end credits with the Tower of Hera on that golden horizon turning blue. Skyward Sword had some great views of proto-Hyrule, I hope with Wii-U they are able to offer even more amazing views.

Yeah i can't wait to see where nintendo takes the series on wii U. I'm excited about a lot nintendos titles moving to HD but zelda has gotta be at the top of the list.

zoukka

Let-s assume for a second that your statement is correct. Then why Nintendo raised the difficulty of the game? People are dying more in this game than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

The game offers a lot of ways to overcome your lack of skill. Faeries in bottles, invincibility potions etc... I doubt the people here dying to bosses used all these.

Also I really think Nintendo overestimated the level of intelligence of people... looking at how many people only tried one strategy in certain bosses and enemies over and over. It hurts.

ASIS

Not really, When I hear filler, I think stuff like MP2's final "keys of light collecting" when you are walking the same land just for the sake of walking it.

the silent realm changes a lot of things . It really was built as a "challenge" per se, completely changing the pace, the rules, and the aesthetic while treading the same area. If it was, as you said, just rupees or something just as meaningless, of course I would be pissed, but that's the point, it's not.

Instances of what I'd call padding in this game are:

1. Getting the water for Faron.

2. Fighting the imprisoned 3 times.

Even then, I would be lying if I said I felt those sections "dragged out".

I think it can be. Luckily, its not bad filler,

Like I say, thankfully they were short and strategy was required on one or two to keep them interesting.
Yea, Silent Realms are padding, no buts about it. I do agree they are better executed than tear collecting in Twilight Princess.

I don't agree with the need of strategy. Only thing you need to do is watch the closest tear near the circle and grab it, the time limit is so generous is all smooth sailing after the first one. Im a second class player, but with zelda experience, and i wasn't cut by any of the phantoms.

With a more strict time limit the Silent segments would have served their purpose better.
Instances of what I'd call padding in this game are:

1. Getting the water for Faron.

2. Fighting the imprisoned 3 times.

Even then, I would be lying if I said I felt those sections "dragged out".
Can't believe you didn't list
collecting musical notes for faron like Banjo Kazooie
That segment is shameful.

Reknoc

Yeah, thats the academy girl isn't it... does she have a name, I was sure it began with a K, but its not Kukiel or Kina or Karane, so I've got my names mixed up most likely

I thought it began with a P, I think it's Parrow or something similar to a bird.

Edit: It's Orielle, Parrow is her brother.

Majora

I personally really enjoyed the Silent Realm sections in this. I don't think it's fair to call them filler. Just the right side of challenging, testing your knowledge of an area you'll have passed through several times previously, and horribly tense when you make a mistake.

Now filler, to me, are the story fetch quests between dungeons 3 and 4 and between 5 and 6. That's the type of blatant padding people should be complaining about, not cleverly designed stealth sections. It's very cynical when you're forced to warp out of one region, fly to another, go through an area you've already been to with no changes, to pick up a single item, before immediately flying back to the original area.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Let's use some spoiler tags, ffs.

Probably because we all have to partially re-learn how to play, instead of relying on the mechanics we have been used to for the last decade.

Yea,
Silent Realms
are padding, no buts about it. I do agree they are better executed than
tear collecting in Twilight Princess

I don't agree with the need of strategy. Only thing you need to do is
watch the closest tear near the circle and grab it, the time limit is so generous is all smooth sailing after the first one. Im a second class player, but with zelda experience, and i wasn't cut by any of the phantoms
You haven't really played those parts if you haven't
been chased for half the level by a bunch of pissed off guardians.

Can't believe you didn't list
collecting musical notes for faron like Banjo Kazooie
That segment is shameful.
Definitely. Worst section in the game, by far.

Bit-Bit

People complain that there's barely anything to do between dungeons.

Nintendo puts a bunch of quests to do between dungeons.

People complain that Nintendo are padding the game with filler.

I die a little inside.

psy18

And the
sheikah woman was kinda harsh on Link. :( "You suck, you're too slow, Zelda would have died without me, you're a terrible hero"
Poor Link.

don't worry it's a buildup for the next section ;)

Just finished the game. I can't believe it but I still have the urge to play this again just because the boss fights are so good.
I was about to drop this game because of the sword controls but I love it now! On to heroic mode!

The only part I hate about this game is the
tadnote fetching part because of the sucky swimming controls and that pure water collecting (although it's very short)

Yea, Silent Realms are padding, no buts about it. I do agree they are better executed than tear collecting in Twilight Princess.

I don't agree with the need of strategy. Only thing you need to do is watch the closest tear near the circle and grab it, the time limit is so generous is all smooth sailing after the first one. Im a second class player, but with zelda experience, and i wasn't cut by any of the phantoms.

With a more strict time limit the Silent segments would have served their purpose better.

The
Eldin Volcano
area required some invention,
bombing your way up to the vents to get to the slide area etc
, the
Lanayru area
required you to pace almost all the way back to the beginning of that main area, and I didn't realise at first
that I wouldn't sink in the quicksand by jumping back to the main tower in the center! I tried for a long time to find a way to go back the way I came!
... the first one was easy, but I thought those two were well designed.

The
final trial in Skyloft
had some very tricky placement too. I'm thinking in particular of
the one on top of the tower with a sky seeker placed nearby, the one on the roof of the academy - which required you to have enough time and distance to be able to shimmy around the building and climb the vines, the one surrounded by four rotating guardians... there were also one or two areas where you wouldn't have expected the random appearance of that tide that alerts the guardians as well.

I was caught out maybe once or twice by a lucky blow, but most of the time I was able to escape the guardians with ease. I enjoyed the placement of some of them, and I was able to strategise the safest possible order of collecting them... leaving one or two easy ones just in case etc. A couple of them were quite fun -- a non-Zelda fan who was watching me play one of those sections actually commented on how strange but cool those sections looked as well...

Contrast that with Twilight Princess, and in that game, it was just a search. Sometimes they were under ground or whatever -- had the map not been there to help, it would have been as bad as Super Mario Sunshine blue coins!

Top Bottom