• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom | Review Thread

Robb

Gold Member
Do you think they are making another open world Zelda? What's the next step?
For sure. BotW/TotK are just the beginning, this is the new formula for the Zelda franchise.

I’d imagine the next step is simply to keep experimenting with/evolving all of the systems and physics they’ve already come up with and create a more dense/alive world.

I’m just hoping they bring us some new visual style for variety’s sake, a new version of Link/Zelda, new story and new version of Hyrule to play around in. As well as more classic style dungeons.

Banjo64

cumsessed
For sure. BotW/TotK are just the beginning, this is the new formula for the Zelda franchise.

I’d imagine the next step is simply to keep experimenting with/evolving all of the systems and physics they’ve already come up with and create a more dense/alive world.

I’m just hoping they bring us some new visual style for variety’s sake, a new version of Link/Zelda, new story and new version of Hyrule to play around in. As well as more classic style dungeons.
I love the idea of TotK style gameplay in a crazy world other than Hyrule. Another ocean world where you captain your own ship, or some mad trip like Termina.

Last edited:

HogIsland

The art style looks bad to me. Reminds me of Quest 64.

quest64-1678500187713.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Excellent insights, now I know
How would a Zelda game be like if it would combine all those things (like open world, old dungeon structure... everything gamers want and still to fit in the modern-style game structure)
Semi-Open World though I think after BotW I dunno if they can go back. Something similar to Dragon's Dogma 1 with it's own Zelda style mind you. Dogma is actually very similar to 3D Zelda in a lot of ways. Bad thing happens. Get set on quest to solve bad thing. Many more mini adventures during the main quest to pace things out.

Though I think if you took away Weapon Durability and had traditional atmospheric dungeons with the gear and unique weapons instead of how they are handled in BotW/TotK they have potential.

The last 2 games rely on what I feel are MMO elements(lotta craft/gather/buy/sell) and the Zelda memories(find the special spot on the map) to tell a story which tends to be all over the place and you have to put the events in order. The show don't tell approach in the environment and short interactions that are prominent in top down Zeldas or OoT/MM/TP are how I feel a Zelda story should be told. Simple yet dynamic when all the pieces in the game world fall into place through careful observation.

I think if they took elements from all their other games you could have a rather grand adventure. Utilizing repeated tropes of gather these artifacts to be deemed worthy of the Sword of Evil's Bane or conquering dungeons that give you pieces of the Triforce. Or both. But done in a way with good pacing that isn't too short or isn't too long.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Played it for an hour, taking my time getting the chests and echoes. it's fun so far but the echoes could have been separated into different categories, I've 10 or so and it's already becoming annoying flicking between what I need.

And the frames can get iffy by people and grass. I'll properly get stuck in later today.

Reactions: Isa

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sure it does. In TLoZ you always play as Link, so now it should be called TLoL just to keep with tradition.
Nah it is always The Legend of Zelda because the Legend is retold by the Royal family across Generations and all traces back to the Goddess Hylia. Hyrule and Hylians are all descended from Hylia when she chose Mortality.

Prior to Skyward Sword the name was chosen because it sounds better and in 90% of all Zelda games, Princess Zelda, usually plays a pivotal role whther as a deutergonist, damsel in distress or is important to seal evil away as a direct descendant from the bloodline of Hylia(per Skyward Sword origins).

Nah it is always The Legend of Zelda because the Legend is retold by the Royal family across Generations and all traces back to the Goddess Hylia. Hyrule and Hylians are all descended from Hylia when she chose Mortality.

Prior to Skyward Sword the name was chosen because it sounds better and in 90% of all Zelda games, Princess Zelda, usually plays a pivotal role whther as a deutergonist, damsel in distress or is important to seal evil away as a direct descendant from the bloodline of Hylia(per Skyward Sword origins).
... I wasn't being serious. :messenger_weary:

nial

Which I guess makes sense since it was made in cooperation with the same developer, and uses the same engine (and seems to be suffering from the same problems, still).
It's made BY the same developer, which is why I could see from the beginning that it wasn't going to be anything special.
As someone who just doesn't care about current Nintendo, Mario & Luigi: Brothership looked like their better release this year.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm sorry this is just beyond stupid, so having female characters is "woke" now? Are you god damn kidding me!? Let us not be like Resetera just in opposite side.
Personally I wouldn't even dignify this Germuso person with a response.

May as well call OG Tomb Raider, Bloodrayne, Stellar Blade, Senran Kagura, Gravity Rush woke games too. Hint. They aren't.

Lots of people aren't even using the word correctly. It's all about addressing prejudice and social injustice. Instead it is being used to promote prejudice and social injustice. Ironic. And very sad.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
the fun part is that once the honey moon phase of a Zelda game ends, reviewers actually score the game without the nostalgia glasses on, just look at the scores of the launch titles ( inflated scores ) and the remasters ( grounded scores )
Nothing to do with the honeymoon phase.
Remasters usually come out much later, when at least a full generation has passed since the original*. Anything new the original version brought to the table is common at that point, and the remaster must be judged in a different gaming landscape, against products that more than likely borrow a page or two from its book - and do it better. You could make the best Ocarina remaster imaginable - it’d still be a 1998 game in 2024. Bells and whistles can’t bring the clock backwards.

That said, Wind Waker’s 96 is ridiculous.
On the other hand, Echoes scoring less than 90 is going to hurt some narratives.

*Unless you’re Sony, of course, or you’re Nintendo and your previous system sold like shit.

_Ex_

That makes no fucking sense dude

Because in all the previous The Legend of Zelda games, you played as Zelda, right?

-

Also a reminder that this is technically not Zelda's first "she's the protagonist this time!" game. She's had two previous games as the protagonist:
5540073-zeldas-adventure-cd-i-front-cover.jpg

5540076-zeldas-adventure-cd-i-back-cover.jpg

4542188-zelda-the-wand-of-gamelon-cd-i-front-cover.jpg

980819-zelda-the-wand-of-gamelon-cd-i-back-cover.jpg

Nintendo didn't make those, but they were developed and published with Nintendo's legal blessing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Because in all the previous The Legend of Zelda games, you played as Zelda, right?

-

Also a reminder that this is technically not Zelda's first "she's the protagonist this time!" game. She's had two previous games as the protagonist:
5540073-zeldas-adventure-cd-i-front-cover.jpg

5540076-zeldas-adventure-cd-i-back-cover.jpg

4542188-zelda-the-wand-of-gamelon-cd-i-front-cover.jpg

980819-zelda-the-wand-of-gamelon-cd-i-back-cover.jpg

Nintendo didn't make those, but they were developed and published with Nintendo's legal blessing.
Eww CDI was fucking woke

Top Bottom