• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Bit-Bit

Yeah I was just trolling.

That being said, we're thrown into a dungeon 5 minutes into OOT. 5 minutes into Majora's Mask, you've been jumped, your Ocarina is stolen, and you get turned into a Deku Scrub. Wind Waker is a lot slower. Where are we 5 minutes into Skyward Sword?

Regardless, it's not that big a deal.

5 minutes into Skyward Sword, Zelda pushes you off the Island. (that's pretty intense right?)

Just finished the 3rd dungeon. At first i felt kinda meh but then HOLY SHIT the dungeon turned up the awesome several notches. You guys know who got up to it on why its so awesome plus that awesome boss and the cutscene that followed after. O__O. Amazing. I didn't even return to the sky yet but I'm hyped

Varna

finally got my copy today, just beat the race and I think the flying controls where nice you just need to get used to it, my only complain is the lack of HD because this game could have looked even better with that, Nintendo is doing some magic with the wii right now :O

Get over to the Dolphin thread. Someone mention that this game was made run on Dolphin and man they weren't kidding. Game looks incredible in HD. Even the 2D assets look so much better it's not even funny.

That first boss battle is incredible. Instantly redeems the shitty first two hours (although it will make replaying really tough...). I hope all the bosses are this good. I even enjoyed the pre and post battle dialogue (it's easy when it's not shitty anime archetypes going through the motions). I beat it on my first try... I read some people were having issues? I did not see anything that was remotely unfair. You could block (or dodge) everything he attacked you with.

On a bad note I can kind of see were all the fuss about the aiming is coming from. It works really well for the most part but then... for whatever reason the gyro gets all mixed up and suddenly your aiming is completely off. The center button works sometimes... but other times I just have to go through the calibration process again.

Tenbatsu

Personally I find the the intro tutorial/story pretty well paced:

Save a cat (expose you to running and climbing) -> Cut scene -> Save your bird (Expose to Sword controls) -> Bird Race (Expose to bird flying) -> Cutscene -> Fi -> You're on your own

Instro

That being said, we're thrown into a dungeon 5 minutes into OOT. 5 minutes into Majora's Mask, you've been jumped, your Ocarina is stolen, and you get turned into a Deku Scrub. Wind Waker is a lot slower. Where are we 5 minutes into Skyward Sword?

Regardless, it's not that big a deal.

I dunno, personally the intro in OoT always felt a bit lacking, although its probably closer to 30 mins since you have to travel around the village and grab a bunch of stuff before being allowed to see the tree. The game just info dumps a ton of shit at you and throws you inside the tree. The intro's in following games may have been long winded, but they feel like a much more natural introduction to the story and world, rather than "hey go do stuff".

ASIS

That being said, we're thrown into a dungeon 5 minutes into OOT. 5 minutes into Majora's Mask, you've been jumped, your Ocarina is stolen, and you get turned into a Deku Scrub. Wind Waker is a lot slower. Where are we 5 minutes into Skyward Sword?.
We met Zelda, the imprisoned, Fi, and link in the first 5 minutes. and then thrown into the first mini dungeon in what? 15 minutes?

Red

Finished dungeon 2.

The only issues I've had so far with the controls are

1. skydiving -- how the hell do you move during this? It's so damn frustrating for me, and really the only thing that I can't wrap my head around. I always end up way off, waaaaaaaaaaay off from where I'm trying to land. Seems like movement is completely random, and no matter how I twist the remote, Link will do whatever he wants to.

2. M+ gets loses calibration when the sensor bar is blocked. My cats have a habit of sitting in front of it, so this can be a nuisance sometimes. Usually it's just a matter of centering the cursor or doing a few skyward strikes, so it's not a huge deal.

Besides that it's been perfect.

Love this game. So fun to play, and my favorite game visually in a long time.

Playing on Dolphin was the best choice I could have made.

Not sure where the complaints on the intro section were coming from. Twilight Princess was way worse than this, and it was additionally burdened by having a totally uninteresting outset. Link, herd the goats. Link, catch a fish. Link, catch a fish again. Link, herd the goats again.

ASIS

Finished dungeon 2.

The only issues I've had so far with the controls are

1. skydiving -- how the hell do you move during this? It's so damn frustrating for me, and really the only thing that I can't wrap my head around. I always end up way off, waaaaaaaaaaay off from where I'm trying to land. Seems like movement is completely random, and no matter how I twist the remote, Link will do whatever he wants to.

That's not how it's supposed to be :p The controls should be precise.

Not a lot of people know this, but try pointing downwards when link is free falling.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
2. M+ gets loses calibration when the sensor bar is blocked. My cats have a habit of sitting in front of it, so this can be a nuisance sometimes. Usually it's just a matter of centering the cursor or doing a few skyward strikes, so it's not a huge deal.

I am under the (perhaps incorrect?) thinking that M+ doesn't require the sensor bar?

Also, what would you guys say about a spoiler thread? Is it agreeable or not?

Tadale

I don't think the amount of padding in this game has been stated enough.

Post third dungeon spoilers:
Are you telling me that I have to fight the same boss multiple times, run through the same areas I've already been through looking for tears (the worst part of Twilght Princess), and even backtrack through the same dungeons I've already been through?

It's super frustrating, and I hope it eases some of this mess out in the future.

Red

That's not how it's supposed to be :p The controls should be precise.

Not a lot of people know this, but try pointing downwards when link is free falling.

During the first sailcloth sequence at the tower, I literally fell off of Skyloft. Twice. That's how terrible I am at skydiving. I don't know if it's my fault or the game's fault. You say it should be precise, but it doesn't seem to be that way at all. Maybe it's a bug with Dolphin? But everything else works as it should.

I am under the (perhaps incorrect?) thinking that M+ doesn't require the sensor bar?

Also, what would you guys say about a spoiler thread? Is it agreeable or not?
I don't think it requires the sensor bar, but it sure seems to remain accurate more consistently when I'm using one.

Sidzed2

The good parts of Skyward Sword are so amazingly good that I can get over the endless padding, poor pacing and sloppy visuals. You know what I am talking about: those bloody dungeons. They are great. Particularly the 3rd and 4th (the latter of which I have just completed). The fourth dungeon was really, really well designed - full of puzzles, but not frustrating at all. Masterful design work.

It says a lot for this game that I just received free promo copies of Rayman Origins and Need for Speed today and I can't even contemplate touching them until Zelda is finished (although I may have to, given that they are there for me to review!)

ASIS

During the first sailcloth sequence at the tower, I literally fell off of Skyloft. Twice. That's how terrible I am at skydiving. I don't know if it's my fault or the game's fault. You say it should be precise, but it doesn't seem to be that way at all. Maybe it's a bug with Dolphin? But everything else works as it should.

No there's something wrong with a piece of your hardware then, for me, I tilt left and link goes to the left, tilt right, and he does the same. I have 0 problems with free falling at all. 100% consistency so far.

ivysaur12

Banned
I... I don't know how I feel about this. I tempered my expectations, but this isn't quite what I expected.

Question about combat: When fighting Bobokins, how exactly do I attack them? When they're swords are to the left, I attack from the right and they switch quickly to block. I try a vertical slash, they block. I have more luck waggling away then actually thinking about my attacks.

I... I don't know how I feel about this. I tempered my expectations, but this isn't quite what I expected.

Question about combat: When fighting Bobokins, how exactly do I attack them? When they're swords are to the left, I attack from the right and they switch quickly to block. I try a vertical slash, they block. I have more luck waggling away then actually thinking about my attacks.

Trick them. Make it seem like you're going to do a horizontal slash, but quickly do a vertical slash (or any direction really). Thats what works for me.

Muskweeto

Questions for those who have beaten the game.

I just entered the 6th dungeon. How much longer do I have until I beat the game if I'm just doing the story? no story spoilers please.

I hear the 6th dungeon is the last (besides the last area), but I don't know how much in between stuff there is.

Also, What all changes in hero mode?

Questions for those who have beaten the game.

I just entered the 6th dungeon. How much longer do I have until I beat the game if I'm just doing the story? no story spoilers please.

I hear the 6th dungeon is the last (besides the last area), but I don't know how much in between stuff there is.

Also, What all changes in hero mode?

I believe you have about 4-6 hours left. Hero mode has enemies that do double the damage and you can't find any hearts in grass, pots etc;

L00P

Yeah, I don't get this, either. I just parried the hell out of them once I got the shield, but I would like to know how to actually hit them while they are blocking.

However the fuck long it is, its a boring intro with mundane tasks, Fi at her most annoying, and what I felt was a very lacking sense of world building(the ceremony in the beginning is truly pathetic, just four competitors, nobody even shows up to watch?). It sucked regardless of being one hour or three hours or whatever. First dungeon sucked too; a super compressed, linear to a fault, "My First Zelda Dungeon" for kids who have never played a video game before. The game doesn't actually get good until you get to the second area, and then it becomes quite addicting, but up until then, its a drag.

I liked this post up until you said 'addicting'. As an English teacher, this offends me greatly.

Link Man

Banned
Everything involving tilting (flying, moving the bug, tightropes, etc) is garbage.

Tightrope walking isn't about tilting, it's about flicking in the opposite direction when you start to lose your balance (took me a little bit to get that, though) or in the same direction to hang (if you need to shake the rope).

Tightrope walking isn't about tilting, it's about flicking in the opposite direction when you start to lose your balance (took me a little bit to get that, though) or in the same direction to hang (if you need to shake the rope).
I'm so bad at it, I just let myself fall and use my hands to get across, when I'm low on stamina, I get back up, and repeat. Just easier for me instead of slowing down because I keep tipping.

I hope entering dungeons is always as boss as when you enter the first one. Really neat.
Every. Single. Time.

Link Man

Banned
Oh, and the
Bokoblin on the tightrope
in the first dungeon?
I baited him onto the tightrope with the beetle, then knocked him off with the same.
Awesome how you can approach a situation in multiple ways.

Anth0ny

ENDING SPOILERS

I don't think that Demise has anything to do with Majora. I thought it was pretty clear that he is reincarnated into Ganon. "Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... they are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind..."

Demise looks way too much like Oni Akuma from Street Fighter. Pic. Glowy hair, same body type, same face even. It was tripping me out :lol

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of references to Ocarina of Time. First, the harp. When we first saw it, I think we all though of Sheik's harp in OOT. I was expecting to hear Sheik's theme at some point. Nope.

Next, the "Song of the Hero". I was totally expecting the Song of Time. Is it a coincidence that the goddess cubes look just like the Stones of Time (that dissolve when you play the Song of Time) in OOT? I was so sure the song would find it's way into the game somehow. Instead, it was some random song I can't even remember. Ah well, I'm fanboy rambling here.

Finally. The cutscene that completely caught me off guard.

"To ensure that the seal holds, I will remain here in this time... deep in sleep for thousands of years."

HO. LY. SHIT.

I almost dropped my god damn controller. COULD THIS BE? THE ORIGINAL ZELDA? FROM ZELDA II? Yeah there was some backstory in the manual but WHO CARES. It could be reconnected!

Fuck that would have been awesome. Didn't quite turn out that way, though :lol

Save a cat (expose you to running and climbing) -> Cut scene -> Save your bird (Expose to Sword controls) -> Bird Race (Expose to bird flying) -> Cutscene -> Fi -> You're on your own

I agree. To each their own I suppose but I loved the "chilling" aspect at the start of the game. Explore your surroundings, mess around with the controls, take in the view, etc.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Taking a break after beating Dungeon 3 and
the resealing of the Imprisoned
after it. So awesome.

I decided to do some Skyloft side quests to take a break after that sequence... anyone want to give me a clue as to where I could find some paper? Preferably without outright giving it away, please. :p

I decided to do some Skyloft side quests to take a break after that sequence... anyone want to give me a clue as to where I could find some paper? Preferably without outright giving it away, please. :p

Just wait until morning and run around the academy downstairs a bit. Pretty damn humorous if you get the restroom person the paper.

Triton55

You can skip saving the cat, actually. I just ran past the professor after climbing up to the top, and he gave me an angry comment later about not listening to instructions, :lol

Uchip

Banned
You can skip saving the cat, actually. I just ran past the professor after climbing up to the top, and he gave me an angry comment later about not listening to instructions, :lol

there was a cat?
honestly most of the tutorials are skippable and it didnt take long to get out of skyloft

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ENDING SPOILERS

I don't think that Demise has anything to do with Majora. I thought it was pretty clear that he is reincarnated into Ganon. "Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... they are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind..."

Demise looks way too much like Oni Akuma from Street Fighter. Pic. Glowy hair, same body type, same face even. It was tripping me out :lol

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of references to Ocarina of Time. First, the harp. When we first saw it, I think we all though of Sheik's harp in OOT. I was expecting to hear Sheik's theme at some point. Nope.

Next, the "Song of the Hero". I was totally expecting the Song of Time. Is it a coincidence that the goddess cubes look just like the Stones of Time (that dissolve when you play the Song of Time) in OOT? I was so sure the song would find it's way into the game somehow. Instead, it was some random song I can't even remember. Ah well, I'm fanboy rambling here.

Finally. The cutscene that completely caught me off guard.

"To ensure that the seal holds, I will remain here in this time... deep in sleep for thousands of years."

HO. LY. SHIT.

I almost dropped my god damn controller. COULD THIS BE? THE ORIGINAL ZELDA? FROM ZELDA II? Yeah there was some backstory in the manual but WHO CARES. It could be reconnected!

Fuck that would have been awesome. Didn't quite turn out that way, though :lol

I made more of a connection with Link To The Past than Ocarina.

Admittedly, it was just because the sword was left in a forest shrine And it reminded me of the forest where you find the Master Sword in LttP.

Tuck

Holy shit at everything leading up to the third dungeon. Absolutely incredible. Even the dowsing was put to good use. Use it for the general direction, and take it from there. Wonderful level design.

Zekes!

Who ever mentioned that you can hide your sword movements by raising your shield: thank you. That shit totally works and is a nice touch.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Miyamoto must have had a bad experience with cats.
Try tossing them off the edge of Skyloft. :p

Just wait until morning and run around the academy downstairs a bit. Pretty damn humorous if you get the restroom person the paper.
Thanks! Gonna do it first thing when I boot the game up tomorrow... I'm tempted to play again tonight, but then I don't think I'll stop for another couple of hours, heh.

Branduil

I don't get the complaints about not having more NPCs at the wing ceremony. It's just a yearly "exam" for the students, it's not a spectator event.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, just fought Scaldera.

The music when you reveal his weak-point is amazing, reminds me of Ravel's Bolero. I wish I could find that version on Youtube. :/

Insaniac

Whoa, just fought Scaldera.

The music when you reveal his weak-point is amazing, reminds me of Ravel's Bolero. I wish I could find that version on Youtube. :/

when i saw scaldera in the trailer, i was unimpressed. but then I fought him in the game and I was like, wow this is a lot of fun!

I really like the bomb rolling motion controls, but trying to aim precision shots is a pain given Link's erratic movement.

Also if anyone didn't know, you do NOT jump up, or walk off edges if you hold Z down.

Top Bottom