• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Is it possible for someone who has beaten the game to say a little something on how the new game + works or if it's interesting/something good or not WITHOUT SPOILERS?

/-)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
when i saw scaldera in the trailer, i was unimpressed. but then I fought him in the game and I was like, wow this is a lot of fun!

I really like the bomb rolling mechanics, except for trying to aim precision shots

He was pretty hard too, since I never thought to head up the slope all the way where the hearts are. :)

Even though Ghirahim was harder, I prefer these big epic bosses.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Holy shit did the game get good. Today I
finished Lanayru Desert, completed the whole third dungeon, and got fought the Imprisoned
. For anyone who complains the game is boring, get to the third dungeon. Everything about it was great. And afterwards, shit gets real. There were so many "Holy shit!" moments. The only way it could have been better was if
I got to fight Ghirahim on the bridge

*spoilers about post third dungeon section*

Returning to Faron Woods yielded even more awesome stuff. Groose freaking out after landing in the woods had me in tears. "T-tiny birds?", "You imploded my mind", and "I'll call it... Grooseland!" were my favorites. The harp isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it is a little difficult to move with a given rhythm. Playing it along with the background music in any area is a pretty cool idea however. And I'm surprised I figured out how to beat the Imprisoned so quickly. I just tried jumping on him to see if it would work, and to my surprise, it totally did. I guess I'm now on the path to forging the Master Sword now. I headed back to Skyloft and stopped playing for the night.

I'm so glad the game has picked up. I want to play even more, but I don't want to beat it too quickly. I still think SS can become my favorite Zelda game if it can keep up its current pace for most of the rest of the game. I know about the various fetch quests, but I'll have to judge them when I get to those parts.

And I'm officially in the "Fi needs to shut the hell up" crowd. She's currently being underused as a character, which I would rather see more of instead of getting to the boss door and having her tell me "There's something dangerous behind this door". It's not like I couldn't tell by it looking like the past two boss doors. I'm also going to have to look away from the TV so she doesn't spoil puzzles, like she almost did for the
generator puzzle at the end of the Lanayru Desert
. I turned my head just in time to avoid her words. I don't having a guide, but let me solve the puzzles on my own unless I specifically want help and stop telling shit a three-year could figure out.

The stuff before and inside the third dungeon is incredible. But damn, that must have been the easiest boss battle of all time.

Easiest in the game up to that point? Probably. It was still a cool battle and I liked it better than the second boss. All three bosses so far have been great though.

Easiest of all time? Hell no. The first one that came to my mind is Queen Gohma in OoT. She can be taken out in under a minute with ease.

BY2K

Membero Americo
6th Dungeon Spoiler:
Ghirahim is such a fabulous character (HE'S INSANE). His 2nd Boss Fight is awesome and so is he in the cutscene before that.

Just beat the game. I started Sunday at 12PM and Finished today (Tuesday, master) at about 11PM

Total playtime 35:25

Damn it was awsome. Its to soon to tell but this may be my favorite Zelda game ever, which means its my favorite game ever. (coming from someone who grew up on 3D Zeldas)

FINAL BOSS/STORY SPOILERS. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME.

Those final bosses was fucking awsome and intense. The 3 part Grahim (spelling I know) boss battle was awsome and the enemies that came from all directions beforehand was simply epic! Then the first Ganondorf incarnation comes up, kills Grahim and challenges you to a duel. I was glad I could go back and get postions since I had 2 hearst left when I started with 2 potions and 13 hearts.

The actual final boss was the most intense battle I have ever faced. Took my awhile to figure out its 1st form without losing to many hearts. After figuring out the second form I couldnt do a Skyward Strike. My wiimote kept losing calibration. That ruined it and made me die 7 times. Whoa.

But then I beat it and the epologue kept being amazing.

Amazing game is amazing.

Amazing credit music is amazing.

And the sealed temple being eluded to being OoT's Temple of Time was amazing.

Grahim being eluded to being Dark Link at the end was also cool.

Groose...well I figured he would be Ganondorf but it turns out hes just someone random and not in any other games as far as I can tell...but hes my 3rd favorite character besides Zelda and Grahim.

I'll post my cons and my jaw dropping moments later in the week or two. That final boss weakened me. I can barely move my arms lol.arms.

Edit: whoops didnt see spoiler thread. Ill repost there tomorrow...

Not sure what I think of this game yet. I'm in the Desert right now looking for the three power nodes. Motion controls have really pissed me off more than a few times. I've had to repeat the same motion before it works, or it just doesn't respond at all. In some instances the motion just feels tacked on or frustrating. I spent 10 minutes trying to open a fucking door because I had to stand on a switch and bowl an electric hermit crab into the opening right at my feet. It was stupid and needlessly frustrating because of the controls. Lining up shots with bombs has felt like trial and error. Sword fighting can be satisfying, but the controls rarely register thrusts and Link loves to use his spin move when I don't want him to. I'll keep at it but so far it's been peaks of fun punctuated by valleys of severe frustration.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, after hearing all the terrible things about swimming controls I expected a lot worse. You guys are holding down A while you swim, right?

Branduil

Not sure what I think of this game yet. I'm in the Desert right now looking for the three power nodes. Motion controls have really pissed me off more than a few times. I've had to repeat the same motion before it works, or it just doesn't respond at all. In some instances the motion just feels tacked on or frustrating. I spent 10 minutes trying to open a fucking door because I had to stand on a switch and bowl an electric hermit crab into the opening right at my feet. It was stupid and needlessly frustrating because of the controls. Lining up shots with bombs has felt like trial and error. Sword fighting can be satisfying, but the controls rarely register thrusts and Link loves to use his spin move when I don't want him to. I'll keep at it but so far it's been peaks of fun punctuated by valleys of severe frustration.

You can carry the electric eggs to the switch with the Beetle and just hit them into the opening with your sword.

Wow, after hearing all the terrible things about swimming controls I expected a lot worse. You guys are holding down A while you swim, right?

I just got to the swimming part today and it controlled great.

I'm one of those rare people in this thread who has had minimal issues with the controls however.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is it possible for someone who has beaten the game to say a little something on how the new game + works or if it's interesting/something good or not WITHOUT SPOILERS?

/-)

- Enemies do double damage to Link
- No heart drops from enemies--except with Heart Medals and even so, the drop rate is incredibly small. I also think they cut the possibility of hearts appearing from breaking jars/cutting grass
- You can skip events.
- Some characters will recognize that you're playing in the Hero Mode and will address you accordingly.

I think that's it.

I spent 10 minutes trying to open a fucking door because I had to stand on a switch and bowl an electric hermit crab into the opening right at my feet. It was stupid and needlessly frustrating because of the controls.

Oh my FUCK I thought that part was going to drive me to a fucking asylum. I almost smashed my controller, the Wii, and the TV. I think I died like 5 times, by being electrocuted by the fucker, and more than once it BOUNCED off the fucking thing, and back into the pit. OR it would get stuck between the button and the grate. The thing is, you had like 2-3 seconds between electrocutions to approach the ball, twist the fucking wiimote into the bowling position, angle the fucker properly into the whole, and letting go. I was too embarrassed and infuriated to post about that part, and I wanted to block it out of my memory forever..but since you mention it, I thought Id come out of the closet. The maddening part was how nightmarishly difficult it was, when it was clearly not intended to be. I never in the game felt the controls were more broken than that part. I was mumbling to myself in an insane manner by the end.

EDIT: Wait, we could HIT the fucking thing?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finished the second dungeon. Impa can honestly go suck a dick. :mad:

The boss was a bit underwhelming. The atmosphere was great, but his weakness was obvious as fuck. And he wasn't particularly threatening either. The temple was as close to Super Mario Galaxy as they come though.

The Technomancer

Oh my FUCK I thought that part was going to drive me to a fucking asylum. I almost smashed my controller, the Wii, and the TV. I think I died like 5 times, by being electrocuted by the fucker, and more than once it BOUNCED off the fucking thing, and back into the pit. OR it would get stuck between the button and the grate. The thing is, you had like 2-3 seconds between electrocutions to approach the ball, twist the fucking wiimote into the bowling position, angle the fucker properly into the whole, and letting go. I was too embarrassed and infuriated to post about that part, and I wanted to block it out of my memory forever..but since you mention it, I thought Id come out of the closet. The maddening part was how nightmarishly difficult it was, when it was clearly not intended to be. I never in the game felt the controls were more broken than that part. I was mumbling to myself in an insane manner by the end.

I had trouble with that, but honestly? I couldn't see it being any easier with traditional controls. The problem wasn't actually rolling it in, it was lining Link up with the hole, which was incredibly frustrating because I'd have like two seconds to tap the nunchuck just right before it zapped me.

Zekes!

- No heart drops from enemies--except with Heart Medals and even so, the drop rate is incredibly small. I also think they cut the possibility of hearts appearing from breaking jars/cutting grass
- You can skip events.
- Some characters will recognize that you're playing in the Hero Mode and will address you accordingly.

I think that's it.

I thought someone mentioned that you only have 6 hearts or something? It was a while back, so my memory is hazy.

- You can skip events.

I think that's it.

Yeah, no thanks, won't be playing that. Without motion controls- maybe- but I can see myself being more frustrated than having fun.

hyduK

Banned
Is it just me or can you really not tell what direction you swung your sword when it gets blocked? It seems like the blocking animation is just the same regardless of what direction you swung, and I'm always left wondering if it was blocked because I was slow, or if it didn't swing the way I intended it to...

Branduil

I guess I just stumbled on the easy way of dealing with those
electric eggs
on accident. No, actually, now that I think about it, I had Fi tell me about them. That's how I found out about using
the Beetle and hitting them with your sword.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fuck Girahim.

I only had problems with
the second phase of his final form where you have to hit his sword and then continuously hit it solid until it breaks.

This is definitely one of the hardest (if not the hardest) Zelda game ever made. Thanks to motion controls.

The Technomancer

So getting from the end of dungeon three to the start of four took an entire night's worth of playtime. Thoughts:

-The imprisoned is very cool. Very very cool. I hope it stays that way.
-Re-visiting Faron Woods was fun.
-The silent realm was also fun.
-So was getting to the water dragon.
-Revisiting the first dungeon, however, was not.
-Really really not
-Seriously, fuck that mogma
-And that fucking key
-And those stalfos
-But the water dragon's true form looks really cool
-So thats alright I guess

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Who ever mentioned that you can hide your sword movements by raising your shield: thank you. That shit totally works and is a nice touch.
Was it my post about general combat earlier? If so, you're welcome. :p

Dungeon 3 stuff
Did no one else just use the beetle to drop the ball in front of the gate, stand on the switch, then smack it into the hole with your sword when it wasn't electrocuting?

Branduil

Did no one else just use the beetle to drop the ball in front of the gate, stand on the switch, then smack it into the hole with your sword when it wasn't electrocuting?

No, that was the method I was used. I didn't realize there was another way to do it.

KarmaCow

Just started the game, is there anything permanently missable? I read somewhere that one of the first quests where you need to find a kid gives you 2 sets of 5 gratitude crystals but I can't seem to get the other 5 from the father.

Mistle

Just popping in to say that as an Australian, I just got my copy! :D :D :D

Now to disappear from this thread until I have finished it...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Did no one else just use[...]
I just
stood on the switch then brought it in with the beetle and released it just in time for it to slightly roll right inside the opening by itself, there was no need to smack it or anything

..Shouldn't some of these explanations of how stuff are solved or what abilities you get be in spoiler tags... Sure, they're easy to figure out but it's still nicer to do it yourself all like "oh that's what I have to do" instead of "oh that's what people were talking about", or get the surprise of the new ability...

Zekes!

Might of been, I forget, haha. If it was posted today then probably not, though. Either way it's an incredibly handy tip.

RagnarokX

So I just got to the part after dungeon 3 where
I can summon gossip stones and I thought, "I wonder if they blast off if hit with a bomb. So I dropped a bomb on one and it blasted off and omg!

Halfway through the first...err dungeon and this game is awesome.

The combat is a bit wonky as like I said earlier you want to waggle so bad but you can but even then it doesn't always register small wrist movements like you want it to. So you kinda gotta do the early wii commercial stuff sometimes but it's mainly because you gotta take is slow and be patient.

It's good so far that you actually have to pay attention to every fight..a welcome change.

Fi is a little chatty but so far it's fun which in the end is all that really matters

Top Bottom