• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Zeal

Banned
I am really not agreeing with some of the retconning done to the story in this game. My biggest gripe is explaining how (ending spoilers)
Ganon is simply an incarnation of Demise. It cheapens the complexity of Ganon as an awesome, complex character and makes him into some two-dimensional super villain. I don't like it.

That being said, who here is ready for a Zelda that finally takes places after the events of Zelda II? I know I am. We seem to keep going further and further back into the past with the timeline, but I'm ready to see the future of Hyrule. To my knowledge, I don't think anything has actually been established after the events of Zelda II...right?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's somewhat impressive, although not in a good way, how people seem to overblown things that at best is actually just a minor inconvenience. It's like administering for ER for a slight wound that can be mended with a simple bandage.

My God so many overblown exaggerations here.

People feel strongly when they do an input and the game doesn't respond. It's the most essential part of a game, and I'm typically behind it 100%. I think Donkey Kong Country Returns is a much lesser game than it should be because the roll is on waggle instead of a button, for no reason. It got me killed ingame multiple times when it didn't respond(and this isn't a case of "you're bad", the input is so stupid--WAGGLE--that there's no skill involved).

So going into SS I was worried. So far I've been impressed, everything has been working fine. But there are still cases where it doesn't, for me that has been the thrust attack. It works fine most of the time, then I was fighting a Beamos last night and he WOULD NOT THRUST despite me doing the motion 4-5 times in a row, I got hit multiple times and then he finally thrusted as I was pulling the remote away from the screen. That stuff can piss you off in a hurry.

So yes, it may seem overblown to some people, but people have varying standards to a lot of factors regarding motion controls. Especially when they are in place of something a button can do fine. I've been alright with the bird flying, but it isn't doing anything that replaces an analog stick.

The only movements I find consistently annoying are spin attacks and "finish him" moves. Both will just randomly not work. Thrusts are simple enough if you slow your movement down and do it really mechanically.

You're right, everyone is entitled to opinions. Even wrong ones. Or you could've just said "I'm bad with motion controls."

Don't agree but hope you adjust to the controls. :)

There's nothing to adjust to. It's not difficult to fly or swim, it's just inherently less accurate than it would be with a stick, and for no advantage.

Bulzeeb

finally got my copy today, just beat the race and I think the flying controls where nice you just need to get used to it, my only complain is the lack of HD because this game could have looked even better with that, Nintendo is doing some magic with the wii right now :O

Haven't gotten to swimming yet so no comment but I actually like the flying controls. *Shrug*
I think the swimming controls are horrendous. Strains out my wrist, hard to do a proper turn, sometimes goes out of sync and you can't swim in a straight line, only left and right (the same happens with the Beetle and the Loftwing).

Alchemy

People feel strongly when they do an input and the game doesn't respond. It's the most essential part of a game, and I'm typically behind it 100%. I think Donkey Kong Country Returns is a much lesser game than it should be because the roll is on waggle instead of a button, for no reason. It got me killed ingame multiple times when it didn't respond(and this isn't a case of "you're bad", the input is so stupid--WAGGLE--that there's no skill involved).

So going into SS I was worried. So far I've been impressed, everything has been working fine. But there are still cases where it doesn't, for me that has been the thrust attack. It works fine most of the time, then I was fighting a Beamos last night and he WOULD NOT THRUST despite me doing the motion 4-5 times in a row, I got hit multiple times and then he finally thrusted as I was pulling the remote away from the screen. That stuff can piss you off in a hurry.

So yes, it may seem overblown to some people, but people have varying standards to a lot of factors regarding motion controls. Especially when they are in place of something a button can do fine. I've been alright with the bird flying, but it isn't doing anything that replaces an analog stick.

Someone who understands that controls are important and unnecessarily moving them from a button to a motion is a bad thing? This is pure madness!

I actually completely gave up on DKCR because of the roll waggle. Luckily I didn't pay for it as it was my girlfriends copy, but I would have had serious buyers remorse. The fact is that a physical button or analog stick feels more responsive because it is. There is less throw in the motion and physical restrictions with the device itself that let you know you've pressed the button correctly or have the analog stick in the correct place.

If motion controls fail the only option is to exaggerate the motion that you think is correct, which is incredibly irritating especially if it continues to fail at registering correctly. A lot of motion controls aren't done because they're better or more intuitive, but because they need to tie in the Wiimote gimmick in some how. The DKCR roll is a perfect example, and I believe the flight controls fall into the same boat.

I'm not writing off the entire game yet or saying the game is bad, I was just extremely disappointed with the first hour. My only concern was that flying would end up being a major recurring mechanic, which would have killed the game for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Game Complete.

Very enjoyable. Love the tweaks it does the the Zelda mythos, and in the end it had a very very enjoyable narrative.

In the end, I'd put this above Ocarina and Twilight Princess, but below Wind Waker on the 3D Zelda scale.

Some ending thoughts...

Loved the ending. Last dungeon was fun. Final fight with Ghirahm, like other fights with him, might have been a bit easy, but MAN were they fun. Loves the Moblin wave as you went down to meet him. I also thought the reveal about who he was was very well done. Never saw it coming.

Demise was also a pretty enjoyable fight, though the electricity part was a bit annoying. Once I got the hang of it though, I was good.

Space specifics:

+Motion Control. Once in a while it got wonky, but it was rare
+Characters. Fantastic cast, even if Fi was a bit if a letdown coming off Midna
+The World. Love it, didn't even mind the backtracking (with a few exceptions)
+Flying
+No Ganon. For all the talk, I totally expected him at the end. Demise was a fantastic villain, and while there was a bit of a resemblance to Ganon, I liked that it was clearly a new character.

+/- The adventure pouch. I liked that you had to think about things to bring, but disliked bomb and arrow bags being there. Should have just let us expand the ones from our regular items.

-Dungeon 5. The constant time shifting got annoying, and reminded me way to much of Water Temple water levels.
-Padding. While I don't think it was as bad as some say, it is there. The only two padding things I disliked was the Tadpol thing with the Water-Dragon, and the "protect the robot" quest up the mountain.
-No other villages. I wish there had been at least one village on the surface.

guek

Banned
The only movements I find consistently annoying are spin attacks and "finish him" moves. Both will just randomly not work. Thrusts are simple enough if you slow your movement down and do it really mechanically.

There's nothing to adjust to. It's not difficult to fly or swim, it's just inherently less accurate than it would be with a stick, and for no advantage.

It's not supposed to be advantageous or better. It's just another method of control. I haven't gotten to swim yet, but I find flying fun.

Also, the finisher is pretty easy to do. For awhile I thought I had to strike down with the butt of the wiimote/nunchuck, but it's worked every time I've tried it since I started just flicking my wrists down.

In any case, I haven't really heard a real deal breaker complaint about this game yet. After playing about 7 hours, the controls work perfectly, and I've come to the conclusion that any contrary reports are either due to lack of optimal playing environments (yeah that'd be really annoying) or simple user error. Fi does chime in a lot but COME ON, it's not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. It's no game breaker, it's not even really annoying, it's just something that's there. The opening was also perfectly adequate, barely taking more than an hour to do just about everything.

We'll see how the "backtracking" pans out, but from what I've read it'll still be interesting and enjoyable. It seems like people love to nitpick SS just because it's a zelda. Yes, the pedigree is strong with this one, but it does seem like complaints have gotten blown way way WAY out of proportion.

I beat the game. Hero Mode sounds cool, but I don't think I'll ever be replaying it, I just hate the controls too damn much... although for my last play session of the game (all day today) the controls worked flawlessly for some reason. Oh, and all the fetch quests, and that the entire game is just dungeon after dungeon after dungeon. No overworld, no exploration, no cool side quests (yes, I know there are side quests, but none of them are interesting or fun), obviously the presentation is lacking... I was even disappointed by the soundtrack, not a single memorable track in the game.

The final boss was a joke, by the way, I can't believe anyone had trouble with him. It was pretty underwhelming, too. When it ended I actually thought "wait... that's it?" for the first time in a very, very long time in a video game.

Oh, and the game takes control away from the player far too often, especially with the whole every time you collect a treasure or bug for the first time each session thing. Not just that, though, I can't count how many times I just wanted to play the damn game but it insisted on taking control away from me to show me that something was happening in a cutscene when I could have seen it happening anyway... ugh

I'm not sure whether to call this my least favourite Zelda, or if Twilight Princess can keep that title, but I am unimpressed to say the least. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are still my favs

EDIT: On a positive note, I like that they upped the difficulty in SS. I still find it easy, but it's not insultingly easy anyway, and that's good. I hope future Zelda's are at least as difficult if not more so.
Also, the greatest moment in the game was the boss of the fourth dungeon. Nothing tops it.

How did your shield break? I had the godess shield and it only took damage when he did that hand thrust thing.
I kept blocking, but kept forgetting to bash.

Oh, and the game takes control away from the player far too often, especially with the whole every time you collect a treasure or bug for the first time each session thing. Not just that, though, I can't count how many times I just wanted to play the damn game but it insisted on taking control away from me to show me that something was happening in a cutscene when I could have seen it happening anyway... ugh
I don't know how some people let this ruin a whole game for them...

That's a huge mistake IMO.
How is that a huge mistake, if I may ask? I spent intervals of 11-12 hours each day, I was hooked, and still am.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The final boss was a joke, by the way, I can't believe anyone had trouble with him. It was pretty underwhelming, too. When it ended I actually thought "wait... that's it?" for the first time in a very, very long time in a video game.

I loved the final fight here for the same reason I loved Wind Waker's ending.

It was a sword fight. No item changing, no gimmick. It was a pure and simple sword fight, and I absolutely loved it.

ASIS

I beat the game. Hero Mode sounds cool, but I don't think I'll ever be replaying it, I just hate the controls too damn much... although for my last play session of the game (all day today) the controls worked flawlessly for some reason. Oh, and all the fetch quests, and that the entire game is just dungeon after dungeon after dungeon. No overworld, no exploration, no cool side quests (yes, I know there are side quests, but none of them are interesting or fun), obviously the presentation is lacking... I was even disappointed by the soundtrack, not a single memorable track in the game.

I'm not sure whether to call this my least favourite Zelda, or if Twilight Princess can keep that title, but I am unimpressed to say the least. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are still my favs
These are false. I'll say that much.

Arc07

Biggest rush so far...

Hero Mode boss gauntlet. Made it through seven bosses with 1 heart left. Aced Ghirahim (third fight). Heart rate was definitely elevated for that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People really do find performing spin attacks and finishing stab moves difficult...?

Just moving Wii-mote+Nunchuk sideways either way is hard...?
Just moving Wii-mote+Nunchuk downwards or upwards (easier this way) is hard...?

ASIS

How is that a huge mistake, if I may ask? I spent intervals of 11-12 hours each day, I was hooked, and still am.

Because it packs a lot of details that will go unnoticed if you play it this way.

The game may not be the longest game ever but it really packs a whole lot in each hour. If you play for 2-5 hours a day it will start to feel like you are going for a new adventure each time you open up your Wii.

To each his own I guess.

Anth0ny

Exactly, you've waited 5 years and.. you finish it in about 5 days..

Did you do all the sidequests?

I always obliterate my super hyped games in a couple of days. I did the same thing with Twilight Princess. I unlocked EVERYTHING in Smash Bros Brawl in 12 hours :lol

I haven't done a single sidequest. That's postgame for me =)

I don't know how some people let this ruin a whole game for them...

Because most games don't do it, and it is incredibly annoying.

These are false. I'll say that much.

I guess if you want to call the sky an overworld, sure. It's better than Spirit Tracks anyway, I'll give it that, but that isn't saying much.

hard to take seriously beyond this point!

Okay, I take that back, I liked the Ghirahim battle theme and The Sky.

Alchemy

People really do find performing spin attacks and finishing stab moves difficult...?

Just moving Wii-mote+Nunchuk sideways either way is hard...?
Just moving Wii-mote+Nunchuk downwards or upwards (easier this way) is hard...?

I would bet it is more consistency instead of difficulty that is their problem. I haven't really had enough time to run into this issue. Hoping to avoid it.

Bit-Bit

Just started a new game to time myself.

From the moment the game began up until I enter the first dungeon takes exactly 1 hour and 9 minutes.

People can stop exaggerating about the "long" intro now.

Got about an hour in and past the intro stage.

I feel like an idiot but i sucked at flying...didn't know you could flap your wings...lol.

The sword stuff will take a while to get into..as I am still waggling my way.

but how do you change the wiimote overlay thingy on the screen.

Not a big problem but I remember you could git rid of it.

Looking forward to playing this a lot tomorrow. It looks a bit rough on my TV but I'll get used to it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I actually found the spin attack almost useless in the game. Only time I really used it was to clear grass for hearts.

And for Ghirahm V2 fight

Anth0ny

Just started a new game to time myself.

From the moment the game began up until I enter the first dungeon takes exactly 1 hour and 9 minutes.

People can stop exaggerating about the "long" intro now.

From the moment Ocarina of Time began up until I enter the first dungeon takes exactly 5 minutes.

But really, the intro isn't that bad in SS. Compared to TP, or the sluggish Wind Waker.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Several things that shocked me weren't in the game....

Zelda's lullaby. Once it was revealed online that the theme song was the lullaby in reverse, I expected it to be a story point.

Also fully expected Skyloft to fall to earth at the end. Or at the very least there be some mention of these people from the sky creating a kingdom called HIGH rule

Bit-Bit

First time playing the game, right?

Nope, my first time playing the game took an hour and a half to get to the dungeon. But that was with me talking to people on Skyloft before descending down to the surface for the first time.

On this playthrough, I got tired of people claiming it takes three hours for anything to start so I just wanted to see how fast it would take if I already knew what to do.

I actually found the spin attack almost useless in the game. Only time I really used it was to clear grass for hearts.

And for Ghirahm V2 fight

Really? I used it a lot on my way to
Ghirahim fight numero 3, before he raises his demon lord.

Several things that shocked me weren't in the game....

Also fully expected Skyloft to fall to earth at the end. Or at the very least there be some mention of these people from the sky creating a kingdom called HIGH rule
I still standby
that Skyloft turns into City in the Sky

Varion

A couple of hours in you get told you can change it, you go into one of the menu screens (I forget which exactly) and in the bottom left corner there's a bar with a Wiimote picture and a word on the far right of it. Press A on that and you should be able to choose between the default, Light or Pro.

Instro

Got about an hour in and past the intro stage.

I feel like an idiot but i sucked at flying...didn't know you could flap your wings...lol.

The sword stuff will take a while to get into..as I am still waggling my way.

Not a big problem but I remember you could git rid of it.

Looking forward to playing this a lot tomorrow. It looks a bit rough on my TV but I'll get used to it.

Fi tells you how just before leaving skyloft. If perhaps you skipped through that conversation, it should be on the gear menu bottom left.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
People are trying way too hard to factually prove shit with this game, I don't get it. WHY do you feel the need to actually time the game from the start until you reach the first dungeon? It took me 5 hours to reach the first dungeon. I was fine with the intro, actually explored the sky before descending, and took awhile to actually get through the forest. It does have a lot of cutscenes that some people won't care to sit through. There's nothing wrong or overexaggerated with having an issue with that, and if anything trying to run through as fast as humanly possible to say "NOPE it only takes an hour, it isn't an issue" makes you seem even crazier.

And nobody is saying the motions are hard, and people aren't doing it "wrong" all because the game works perfectly for x person and not for y person. I used the beetle last night and had to pick up a bomb and drop it. When I threw it, I didn't move the wiimote at all, the beetle went straight then started heavily going right and down, after giving me no issues the entire session beforehand. Sometimes motion controls just fuck up. I turned off a lamp, moved over where I was sitting a little and it's been fine, but that's just one example of many of things that can mess up.

And I say all of the above as a huge zelda fan that's loving SS so far. I beat the third dungeon last night and am excited to keep going. But there's no reason to go nuts in here over people not liking a portion of it.

ASIS

From the moment Ocarina of Time began up until I enter the first dungeon takes exactly 5 minutes.

But really, the intro isn't that bad in SS. Compared to TP, or the sluggish Wind Waker.

Biggest mistake you made here is that you think SS starts with the Skyview temple, that's not true at all.

the game "starts" once you drop into the land below.

So I get to a boss door, 20 hrs in in the 4th or 5th dungeon, then read an inscription stone RIGHT beside it which is something to the effect of 'You need to go to X place in the dungeon for the key'. Fi, immediately pops out, exclaiming 'MY INFORMATION TELL ME THERE IS A 95% CHANCE THAT KEY WILL OPEN THIS DOOR! LETS GO GET IT!. Meanwhile, 1/2 hr before I was completely stuck, running around the dungeon looking for a clue and hoping I can get a peep out of her so she can point me in the right direction, needing just a hint of what to do. But no, time and time again she's completely and utterly unhelpful, making me resort to checking a walkthrough. Yet, she has the gall to make the HEY GUESS WHAT THE BOSS KEY GOES IN THE BOSS DOOR announcement every single fucking time, and otherwise appearing at only the most obvious courses of action. Fuck you Fi, just fuck you. I wish she'd turn evil so they can give me an excuse to slice her to shreds.

PS- The percentage thing is cure the 1st few times (yeah yeah, she's AI we get it) but then quickly gets eye-rollingly old- especially since it's either 85 or 95% always.

maeda

After spending over 12 hours with the game I feel like I can leave some impressions.

Let's start with the bad:
I did not think that I will ever say that, but I miss TP's overworld. There was something exhilarating about galloping on Epona across Hyrule and seeing the whole world in front of you. I still believe that TP's drawing distance is an incredible achievement. I feel that the idea of the overworld should stay in Zelda, but the transitions between overworld, pre-dungeon areas (I hope they will become a staple of the series after SS), dungeons should be seamless.
The 2nd complaint is a slow beginning. In regards with the amount of story we have been getting recently in Zelda, I feel that now would be a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to split the series just like they did with Mario. One old school, with minimal text, the other modern with a stronger focus on the story.
I am still on the fence about the whole upgrading system. It feels out of place in Zelda and in a way it "cheapens" your arsenal. I highly doubt the system will make it into Zelda U. At least they fixed the economy of the game.

Now on to the good:
Holy shit, an area in a 3D Zelda so reminiscent of a 2D Zelda?! I am talking about the desert. I looooooove the level design in this game it is truly a paradigmatic shift for the series. The way the areas "loop" around each other makes traversing the world such a pleasure. Add in stamina meter and Link's new acrobatic abilities and you get a 1st Zelda where just moving is almost as exciting as it is controlling Mario.
Initially I hated the combat, but it has grown on me, I realized that I have to be more patient, attentive and curious with the game in general and with its combat in particular. And that is something that I felt Zelda hasn't asked of me since Majora's Mask. In order to start enjoying the game you have to break many of your old "zelda habits", since Nintendo parted with so many cliches of the series, especially in terms of puzzles.
They squeeze all the juices out of your tools and surprise the player continuously. Items are incredible and satisfying to use.
And some of the music is mind blowing. I have never been a fan of "Great Fairy Fountain", but the orchestral arrangement brings tears to my eyes.

As my final thoughts... I would like for Nintendo to take everything they learned from TP and SS and try to merge their best parts.

P.S.: Ignore the dowsing experience the true sense of discovery.

Bit-Bit

The thing is, entering a dungeon shouldn't be the arbitrary measurement for when the game actually "begins".

I would argue that Ocarina of Time doesn't began until you get to Hyrule Field. Which would be about 40 minutes into the game.

Or that Wind Waker starts at the Forsaken Fortress sneaking mission. Which would be about 30 minutes into the game.

Or Majora's Mask doesn't start until you become human again, which would be exactly 72 minutes....or 30 minutes if you know exactly what to do.

Or Twilight Princess starts when you were captured and turned into a wolf, which would be about an hour into the game.

And finally, Skyward Sword starts the moment you land on the surface. Which would be about 30 minutes into the game.

hyduK

Banned
How are you all progressing so quickly through all these dungeons? Does it not take as long after the first dungeon?

Took me like 40-60 minutes to get from the end of the first dungeon to the beginning of the second. Not sure if that stays consistent. I went to some other islands and looked at some sidequests before trying to progress, but none of them were particularly intriguing...

Still not convinced on the controls. The sword play works fine but most of the strategies seem to be put sword in vertical position, then quickly swing horizontal, or vice verse...just faking the enemy out. Everything involving tilting (flying, moving the bug, tightropes, etc) is garbage.

The first dungeons design was pretty solid though...definitely too easy, but w/e, it's the first one.

Anth0ny

The thing is, entering a dungeon shouldn't be the arbitrary measurement for when the game actually "begins".

I would argue that Ocarina of Time doesn't began until you get to Hyrule Field. Which would be about 40 minutes into the game.

Or that Wind Waker starts at the Forsaken Fortress sneaking mission. Which would be about 30 minutes into the game.

Or Majora's Mask doesn't start until you become human again, which would be exactly 72 minutes....or 30 minutes if you know exactly what to do.

Yeah I was just trolling.

That being said, we're thrown into a dungeon 5 minutes into OOT. 5 minutes into Majora's Mask, you've been jumped, your Ocarina is stolen, and you get turned into a Deku Scrub. Wind Waker is a lot slower. Where are we 5 minutes into Skyward Sword?

Regardless, it's not that big a deal.

However the fuck long it is, its a boring intro with mundane tasks, Fi at her most annoying, and what I felt was a very lacking sense of world building(the ceremony in the beginning is truly pathetic, just four competitors, nobody even shows up to watch?). It sucked regardless of being one hour or three hours or whatever. First dungeon sucked too; a super compressed, linear to a fault, "My First Zelda Dungeon" for kids who have never played a video game before. The game doesn't actually get good until you get to the second area, and then it becomes quite addicting, but up until then, its a drag.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I would bet it is more consistency instead of difficulty that is their problem. I haven't really had enough time to run into this issue. Hoping to avoid it.

In regards to the spin attack and stab finishing moves, I've never had even one occasion where the game fail to recognize or misread my intention of performing them in my 45 hours file.

The only thing that can occasionally fail is the thrust attack, which I admit, can be annoying especially when the game depends on that move to successfully attack particular kinds of enemies.

Otherwise, I had no problems that are big enough to warrant statements such as "THE CONTROLS SUCK!"

Top Bottom