• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

And then you can sell your bee load back at Skyloft at a commanding price!

The big Bug Net makes catching birds easier. But it's still tough: you need to slowly, slowly edge your way towards them with your net raised ready to swoop... and BAM! you've got like a 20% chance of it working.

Where do you sell insects, anyway?

You can catch birds?! Omg, so that's where you get bird feathers. I've needed some bad for an upgrade but all I've got is the supposedly rarer blue bird feathers from chests. I'm all, "why don't I have any of the common ones?"

Yep personally speaking I just go to where you first land in the Sealed Grounds and the birds constantly respawn after you walk away and come back 30 seconds later so it's a good place to learn the best strategy and catch some.

Having reached the desert, I take back what I said before about this being a mediocre Zelda. But I stand by my statement that the motion controls are a detriment to the game and I'm glad that dual analog is going to be the main input on the Wii U.
I think you'll be gravely dissapointed that Aonuma says he plans on using motion controls for the Wii U Zelda.

The big Bug Net makes catching birds easier. But it's still tough: you need to slowly, slowly edge your way towards them with your net raised ready to swoop... and BAM! you've got like a 20% chance of it working.
I use to have a big issue with bug/bird catching but you have to do horizontal swings and actually line up the net exactly where you want it to go.

Ridley327

And then you can sell your bee load back at Skyloft at a commanding price!

For stuff that's on the ground, I find that I have substantially more success if I have net on the ground and twisted so I can do a horizontal swipe. It makes getting quicker bugs like rollers and ants a lot easier.

Can I say how much I love (super early character spoiler)
Gorko
. Everytime I see him I get this great sense of relief like, "It's my bro! He's totally gonna call me bud!"

I need another adventure slot free and i dont have enough money to buy anymore.... i have 2 shields.. how can i get rid of one?

Have you ever talked to the item check girl? She's in the bazaar.

Just a quick question: How many dungeons are in this game? Same as TP?
Honestly with this game it doesn't matter so much about the dungeon count because there is so many different things you are doing and a lot of areas outside of the dungeons feel like dungeon areas as well as minidungeons. However, being technical to answer your question there are less than TP.

BowieZ

Banned
For stuff that's on the ground, I find that I have substantially more success if I have net on the ground and twisted so I can do a horizontal swipe. It makes getting quicker bugs like rollers and ants a lot easier.

I seem to have more luck coming from above with birds as they fly away upward. I'm no expert yet though.

Can I say how much I love (super early character spoiler)
Gorko
. Everytime I see him I get this great sense of relief like, "It's my bro! He's totally gonna call me bud!"

I've really grown to like him as well. He's so earnest about discovering the world, and its funny seeing his reaction to you doing your thing, like playing the instrument or blowing up walls and such.

Alchemy

I'm not sure what you mean by that but you cut out the "in the middle of the puzzle" part I said right after that. Occasionally, in particular in the opening section she pops up a bit too much for my liking.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000

So far I've had to take this game in small hour long sections because it keeps driving me crazy with how poorly paced it is prior to the first dungeon. All I want to do is play the damn game, explore the area and get ready for the first dungeon. The game needs to shut the hell up and get out of the way, take the fucking training wheels off please.

I'm clinging on to the hope that the rest of the game is amazing, but so far I've seen nothing to suggest it is.

apana

Just beat the boss at Eldin Volcano. Yep I can definitely say this is the best Zelda game since Ocarina so far for me. I think it's absolutely brilliant design. Usually after playing any video game for a few hours I feel drained and tired but after playing Skyward Sword I'm upbeat and excited for more.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Starting Hero Mode!!! :D

I can't wait to get to the boss rush mode!

GWX

My favorite character in Skyward Sword is now my avatar! Yeah!

Just looking at him makes me whistle the song that plays in the Bazaar while talking to him. Awesome, I love this character. Beedle is awesome too: "thaaaaank yooou" (his voice is too funny).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
x1000000000000000000000000000000000

So far I've had to take this game in small hour long sections because it keeps driving me crazy with how poorly paced it is prior to the first dungeon. All I want to do is play the damn game, explore the area and get ready for the first dungeon. The game needs to shut the hell up and get out of the way, take the fucking training wheels off please.

I'm clinging on to the hope that the rest of the game is amazing, but so far I've seen nothing to suggest it is.

The Fi training wheels come off in the second dungeon, and the third dungeon is all up to you. I'm on number four now.

Are potion upgrades permanent insofar as the potion type or are you just upgrading the given potion in your inventory? I'd be more inclined to start doing so if it's the former.

Alchemy

The Fi training wheels come off in the second dungeon, and the third dungeon is all up to you. I'm on number four now.

Oh thank god. Does she still pull the 'I've done some annoying shit to your map for dowsing purposes' every time you've found an objective?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
God damn it, I fucking hate motion controls. :mad:

The game is very good, but the motion controls are so damn frustrating to me at times. Things always seem to get screwed up with the positioning which makes certain actions work strangely and the reliance on precise timing for such an imprecise movement is extremely annoying. It's a good attempt, but I've had enough of it.

This is the kind of game I want to relax with and these fucking controls are just frustrating when I'm not in the mood to concentrate on them.

/end rant

Regardless, the game is so good that I can almost ignore it. ;)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Are bugs for anything but selling for money?
You can use them to upgrade the potions.

Are potion upgrades permanent insofar as the potion type or are you just upgrading the given potion in your inventory? I'd be more inclined to start doing so if it's the former.
You upgrade the single potion (you need very few bugs to do so, after all). Not permanent.

What I want to know. I wish there was a couple areas in the game that actually REQUIRED you to get some potion upgrades or even USE certain potions (ie. stamina), so it doesnt feel like a complete waste of time upgrading them. So it only upgrades the one bottle? Pretty lame, and confirms the whole thing is a waste of time. They shouldnt even have bothered adding the system if there really is little to no benefit even touching it. You can go through the entire game without using a single bug or single treasure, so you wonder why the hell theres so much focus on them. Doesnt seem worth the development effort when its so non-integral to the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There had better be a fucking bee dungeon. Like, a dungeon where there's a door that says "you must have twenty bees to pass" and I'll be like "hell yeah I've got twenty bees" because otherwise I have way too many damn bees.

There had better be a fucking bee dungeon. Like, a dungeon where there's a door that says "you must have twenty bees to pass" and I'll be like "hell yeah I've got twenty bees" because otherwise I have way too many damn bees.

I imagine Link saying "hell yeah I've got twenty bees" and lol'd

THIS is why we need voice acting, people

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm in a controller throwing rage the likes of which I haven't experienced in years. I suck at motion games, whatever, I really can't stand it. Dark Souls is nothing compared to this shit.

Now I'm all pissed off and don't want to even look at the damn game. About to step on this piece of shit motion plus add-on.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone feel the attention to make the game as immersive as possible might've been too much for it's own good? I always liked the simpler approach that was used in pretty much every Zelda before SS, the focus was always on gameplay and level design. With SS it's more evened out to give you that epic journey feeling throughout

I'm still loving it of course, but I feel it might've been a bit unnecessary making the game as grand as it is right now, looks and presentation-wise. It also gets a bit confusing in dungeons sometimes.

Johnas

I'm in a controller throwing rage the likes of which I haven't experienced in years. I suck at motion games, whatever, I really can't stand it. Dark Souls is nothing compared to this shit.

Now I'm all pissed off and don't want to even look at the damn game. About to step on this piece of shit motion plus add-on.

It's really the main thing holding the game back, imo. I just died two times in the third dungeon for precisely this reason.

Also, I bought a Wii remote with the Motion Plus built-in, and every single time I turn my Wii back on the system fails to recognize the remote. When I try to use it to turn the system off, the whole thing locks up.

I just finished the game on
hero mode
. 6 hearts, no shield, no bottles.

AwwYeah.png

Amazing game. Love every bit of it. I wish there was more sidequests, but what is the main story, just brilliant. Long, full of new ideas and great controls. Best Zelda in a long, long time.

GWX

At least you said it was you. Just take your time to learn them. It's worth it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What I want to know. I wish there was a couple areas in the game that actually REQUIRED you to get some potion upgrades or even USE certain potions (ie. stamina), so it doesnt feel like a complete waste of time upgrading them. So it only upgrades the one bottle? Pretty lame, and confirms the whole thing is a waste of time. They shouldnt even have bothered adding the system if there really is little to no benefit even touching it. You can go through the entire game without using a single bug or single treasure, so you wonder why the hell theres so much focus on them. Doesnt seem worth the development effort when its so non-integral to the game.
Upgrading the shields is quite useful.
Upgrading the potions can be as well.

A red potion gives you eight hearts.
A red potion+
gives you full health, no matter how many hearts you have.
A red potion++
is the same as above, but has two servings in the same bottle.

It's not like you need a lot of stuff to do these upgrades.

Top Bottom