• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Ooccoo

The more I play it the less I enjoy it. This is really the worst 3D Zelda. Nintendo needs to give the franchise to more talented devs (i.e. not Aonuma). The build-up to each temple is fucking awful. Find five key parts. Find signals. That's NOT fun, it's a chore. Couple that with gimmiky controls and a very boring story and you get Skyward Sword. I think venturebeat 65/100 best reflects the game so far (trying to get to third temple). Most overrated game this Fall

GWX

The more I play it the less I enjoy it. This is really the worst 3D Zelda. Nintendo needs to give the franchise to more talented devs (i.e. not Aonuma). The build-up to each temple is fucking awful. Find five key parts. Find signals. That's NOT fun, it's a chore. Couple that with gimmiky controls and a very boring story and you get Skyward Sword. I think venturebeat 65/100 best reflects the game so far (trying to get to third temple). Most overrated game this Fall

Man, this game... So many people loving it, but, at the same time, so many people hating it. I'm glad I'm one of those who is enjoying the ride soooo much. Just finished the second dungeon. I'm in love. It feels like a mix between Metroid and Okami, with fresh and awesome controls.

RagnarokX

I don't get people hating on the predungeon stuff. Before the game out people like TSA were saying how awful the stuff before the first 2 dungeons was but I enjoyed them. The stuff before the 2nd dungeon had a very dungeony feel; figuring out how to get where I needed to go and solve puzzles to get there.

I don't get people hating on the predungeon stuff. Before the game out people like TSA were saying how awful the stuff before the first 2 dungeons was but I enjoyed them. The stuff before the 2nd dungeon had a very dungeony feel; figuring out how to get where I needed to go and solve puzzles to get there.

Some even said the first two dungeons were crap.

I thought the first one was decent and the second one was good.

I think many are trying to overanalyze the game instead of simply playing it.

The third "dungeon" alone is better than many adventure games.

Tuck

Yeah I agree.

Before the first dungeon: It was basically a fetch quest, but they were hidden off the beaten path, so it was alright.

Before second dungeon: You go through a very large area solving some minor puzzles. then another fetch quest. But again, alright because they were hidden cleverly, and you really only need to dowse to find the general direction.

Before the third dungeon: Mostly puzzle solving, very fun. Dowsing was basically not needed at all, aside from a very quick direction check, then you get a puzzle to solve in 2 of the three cases. Fi ruined a puzzle here, but other than that, it was great.

I like the pre-dungeon stuff, so far. If the game keeps it up, I may just think its the best 3D Zelda.

I'm not as big into game music as some here(you guys are hardcore in this aspect) but I really like a lot of the music in the game so far.

I run around Skyloft and take my time just to hear the theme and I have liked the music on the surface so far as well.

Anyone really dig the third Temple music a lot like I do????

It's repetitive but I think really well done.

I3rand0

How do I go back to that first menu that appears when you start the game for the first time asking you to select your Motion Plus option? I think I may have selected the wrong one.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What am i suppose to do after the
3rd dungeon and after i beated the Imprisoned?
I talked to Zelda's father and he mentioned whirling sails or something, the fortune teller aint helping much either. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What am i suppose to do after the
3rd dungeon and after i beated the Imprisoned?
I talked to Zelda's father and he mentioned whirling sails or something, the fortune teller aint helping much either. :(

See the big windmills in Skyloft....

Ugh Amazon did shitty packaging on my Zelda bundle. It's completely crushed and I hear stuff loose inside. I'm pretty sure they don't have any replacements so what are my options to get one?

b3b0p

I got my Zelda w/ Remote BUndle today from Amazon.

I ordered 3.

All 3 were severely damaged.

They can't replace them either. Man I'm depressed about this. Anyone else coming across issues like this? Anything you think I can do?

I got my Zelda w/ Remote BUndle today from Amazon.

I ordered 3.

All 3 were severely damaged.

They can't replace them either. Man I'm depressed about this. Anyone else coming across issues like this? Anything you think I can do?

Wow you too? I just posted right before you. I'm pretty pissed.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Taking a little break, just opened up Dungeon #4.
Swimming is so, so fun and I love jumping out of the water with the spin attack.

Ugh Amazon did shitty packaging on my Zelda bundle. It's completely crushed and I hear stuff loose inside. I'm pretty sure they don't have any replacements so what are my options to get one?

Sucks that they didn't do a better job with the packaging, but the outside box seems destined to take a beating from how it was put together - both the copy I picked up from Best Buy and the one I received from Amazon today have some damage. :| There's some AA batteries that aren't secured - that's probably the stuff you hear rattling, but the Wiimote+ is covered in foam padding (+ the protective sleeve) and the game case is secure, so there shouldn't be any damage to the contents at least.

onipex

Got the game today, but can't play it until the weekend since I'm moving into my new home. 3DLand is holding me over just fine though.

-Winnie-

My copy just arrived! :D

I've never actually finished OoT though, so since this is kind of being billed as a prequel, is it worth playing OoT first, or are there not that many connections?
(Yeah I know, I should play OoT anyway, but I don't have a copy on N64 and don't have a 3DS...)

Anth0ny

FINISHED! A little more than 30 hours, some sidequests done and HOT DAMN the finale is intense! Puts any other Zelda game to shame in that department.

I dunno, the ending didn't really do much for me. Wind Waker is still the king of Zelda finales imo.

ASIS

I dunno, the ending didn't really do much for me. Wind Waker is still the king of Zelda finales imo.

I would say they are on par. Ghirahim, Demise (Best fight in the entire game IMO), Fi, Impa, and the fact that they implied that Zelda and Link are the parents of all hylians.. damn

snesfreak

Banned
Joke post?

i suck at puzzles so Fi spoilage won't piss me off. Lol. In fact she isn't that bad so far.

Just finished the first temple...died on the boss. Yep.

Not sure if I got a great grasp on the sword stuff yet but it's still pretty fun. If the first temple is the worst one then I'm gonna like this game.

The problem people are complaining about is occasionally she will beep three times. The problem is some people click on it thinking she has something important to say and she explains the puzzle or tells you, you are low on health. She will beep three times and you can ignore her afterwards. It's really not as big of a deal as people make it out to be because it is their own fault. There's only one instance I can think of where she forces herself upon the player in the middle of trying to figure out a puzzle.

I don't get it either. Especially when we had to do the same crap in past Zeldas just inside of dungeons like collect 4 poes, save a certain amount of monkeys, find all the soup ingredients, etc

Thoraxes

OK I just got the
whip
in the
4th
dungeon, i'm playing on Pro mode, and Fi didn't tell me how to use it, what to use it on, or where to use it. She gave me zero problems or lectures when I got it.

Question is, anyone on different schemes have her tell you?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finally reached the third dungeon. I don't know what it is about
desert
levels, but they tire me quickly. I'm even feeling a little dizzy and I only played for two hours.

The
power dials
sequence was at least two segments too long.

ASIS

END GAME SPOILERS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I...actually started to tear up when Impa died ;_;

I honestly thought Fi's conclusion was more sad. I don't know why, I actually wish Impa didn't die.. but my god what an ending, and those boss fights! DAMN! I'm so happy they didn't go overboard with the whole "Ghirahim is Demise's Fi".

No, really, awesome ending.

OK I just got the
whip
in the
4th
dungeon, i'm playing on Pro mode, and Fi didn't tell me how to use it, what to use it on, or where to use it. She gave me zero problems or lectures when I got it.

Question is, anyone on different schemes have her tell you?

Not from what I can recall. You receive the whip and you Z target things and a motion at the bottom pops up on how to properly use the whip.

I honestly thought Fi's conclusion was more sad. I don't know why, I actually wish Impa didn't die.. but my god what an ending, and those boss fights! DAMN! I'm so happy they didn't go overboard with the whole "Ghirahim is Demise's Fi".

I thought there were a couple sad parts in the game. I thought Zelda getting sealed away until the evil has been disposed of, Impa's death, and Fi were all sad moments. Same here, but honestly, I didn't see that coming. Skyward Sword is my favorite 3D Zelda game. Its just so god damn good.

How the hell are you supposed to deal with the bees except sprinting as far away as possible? Even then they follow me. Fuckers are relentless.

I'm not sure what you mean by that but you cut out the "in the middle of the puzzle" part I said right after that. Occasionally, in particular in the opening section she pops up a bit too much for my liking.

How the hell are you supposed to deal with the bees except sprinting as far away as possible? Even then they follow me. Fuckers are relentless.
A bug net.

Zomba13

I feel the same.
(ending spoilers)
It was odd. I actually felt a bit sad at Fi's departure, more so than Impa's death. Even if you were annoyed by Fi and didn't like her talking to you she was still pretty much the sword and your best friend/closest ally through the whole game.
Impa was cool though and I also wish she didn't die but it was nice and peaceful, like she'd finished her mission and could move on in peace after years and years of waiting.

The whole thing with Ghirahim being like, the spirit of the nega Master Sword was pretty cool too. I knew something was up with him since the very first trailer with him in (where he teleported away with the diamond stuff). Made me think he was somehow related to Fi (who at the time everyone assumed was the spirit of the Master Sword and rightly so).
I'd love to see him return in another Zelda. Could be used by a dark Link or something. Would be nice having a mirror match with these controls.

Good thing I previewed this post first. I had my spoiler tags the wrong way XD

Bug net seems ill-equipped whilst in the middle of being constantly stung. Do you just swing it in their general direction and you magically swoop the entire swarm up?

Ridley327

Bug net seems ill-equipped whilst in the middle of being constantly stung. Do you just swing it in their general direction and you magically swoop the entire swarm up?

That's honestly one of those things where you're better off flailing like a madman. It tends to keep your hide safer.

It works wonders. I got like 47 of them because I knocked down a bees nest down 3 times to farm for Bee Larvae for an item upgrade. They rarely attack for me but just to keep in mind for catching bugs and birds you want to make horizontal swipes not vertical swipes.

"Forces herself upon the player."

Oh lol.

You can catch birds?! Omg, so that's where you get bird feathers. I've needed some bad for an upgrade but all I've got is the supposedly rarer blue bird feathers from chests. I'm all, "why don't I have any of the common ones?"

BowieZ

Banned
And then you can sell your bee load back at Skyloft at a commanding price!

You can catch birds?! Omg, so that's where you get bird feathers. I've needed some bad for an upgrade but all I've got is the supposedly rarer blue bird feathers from chests. I'm all, "why don't I have any of the common ones?"
The big Bug Net makes catching birds easier. But it's still tough: you need to slowly, slowly edge your way towards them with your net raised ready to swoop... and BAM! you've got like a 20% chance of it working.

Pyrrhus

Having reached the desert, I take back what I said before about this being a mediocre Zelda. But I stand by my statement that the motion controls are a detriment to the game and I'm glad that dual analog is going to be the main input on the Wii U.

Top Bottom