• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anth0ny

I just finished the game on
hero mode
. 6 hearts, no shield, no bottles.

AwwYeah.png

Amazing game. Love every bit of it. I wish there was more sidequests, but what is the main story, just brilliant. Long, full of new ideas and great controls. Best Zelda in a long, long time.

holy shit

I don't even think I could do a 3 heart run in OOT, and I body that game free.

Well, I'll need something to do during the next 5 year wait...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
At least you said it was you. Just take your time to learn them. It's worth it.

Suggestions then?

1) The beetle seems like a cool idea, but the control drives me crazy. It absolutely DOES NOT fly straight no matter how carefully I hold the remote. It alternates between hard right and hard left forcing me to constantly adjust. It's completely annoying and feels broken as a result.

2) Things like those rotating puzzles (putting the key into a slot) seem like a cool idea, but the image of the Wii-mote on screen is almost always wrong forcing me to contort myself in strange ways. I have unplug the motion plus, re-attached it, wait for calibration, turn on my battery powered sensor bar (which is ONLY used for calibration in this game), hit A for the center, turn it back off and play. With a baby in the house, the Wii-mote often goes to sleep if I walk away forcing me to do this constantly.

3) Sword slashes only seem to go where I want 75% of the time. Even the first boss was annoying simply because the slashes weren't as responsive as they should have been. I just don't feel like I'm in full control and failure makes it more frustrating.

4) The cursor feels sluggish and laggy as a result of using motion plus rather than IR and requires CONSTANT recentering.

Basically, I feel like I have to micro manager and babysit the motion plus attachment. It's so frustrating to me and is interfering with my enjoyment completely. I wish there were a classic controller pro option. I did, in fact, throw the control at the floor. I literally haven't done this since I was a kid. It has frustrated me that much.

backlot

Suggestions then?

1) The beetle seems like a cool idea, but the control drives me crazy. It absolutely DOES NOT fly straight no matter how carefully I hold the remote. It alternates between hard right and hard left forcing me to constantly adjust. It's completely annoying and feels broken as a result.

2) Things like those rotating puzzles (putting the key into a slot) seem like a cool idea, but the image of the Wii-mote on screen is almost always wrong forcing me to contort myself in strange ways. I have unplug the motion plus, re-attached it, wait for calibration, turn on my battery powered sensor bar (which is ONLY used for calibration in this game), hit A for the center, turn it back off and play. With a baby in the house, the Wii-mote often goes to sleep if I walk away forcing me to do this constantly.

3) Sword slashes only seem to go where I want 75% of the time. Even the first boss was annoying simply because the slashes weren't as responsive as they should have been. I just don't feel like I'm in full control and failure makes it more frustrating.

4) The cursor feels sluggish and laggy as a result of using motion plus rather than IR and requires CONSTANT recentering.

Basically, I feel like I have to micro manager and babysit the motion plus attachment. It's so frustrating to me and is interfering with my enjoyment completely. I wish there were a classic controller pro option. I did, in fact, throw the control at the floor. I literally haven't done this since I was a kid. It has frustrated me that much.
I don't have any of these problems playing with the controller that came in the bundle. Sounds like maybe you have a defective motion plus attachment or some other factor causing it to mess up.

ivysaur12

Banned
Suggestions then?

Most of my sword issues have been from me moving too quickly. Slow it down a touch and it works a lot better. I'm still using my wrists, nothing exaggerated, but it works a lot easier now.

But the beetle? Thing flies like a charm. I've had zero issues with it.

EDIT: You can recalibrate on the item screen. Click the Wiimote icon next to the HUD options.

holy shit

I don't even think I could do a 3 heart run in OOT, and I body that game free.

Well, I'll need something to do during the next 5 year wait...
For me, finish 3D Zeldas with only initial hearts is already a tradition.

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

The Wind Waker

Twilight Princess

Ocarina of Time 3D (Master Quest)

And now...

Skyward Sword (major spoilers!)

I've even recorded a video of the fight, but I did it with the camera of the laptop and the quality is crap :( (again, major spoilers!)

dark10x

Wow, literally the first I have heard of beetle troubles. It flies perfectly straight if I need it to.
I dunno what's wrong. This motion plus attachment works 100% perfect in Sports Resort and Red Steel 2. It just doesn't feel right with Zelda.

The beetle thing is making me wonder if there IS a problem as I cannot get it to fly straight. The bird? Yeah, no problem, but the beetle is terrible. It only flies straight if I launch it and keep my hand still. Once I start turning it will never return to flying straight.

I'm still not convinced that more convoluted controls are what this series needed.

GWX

Suggestions then?

It sounds like it's a problem with the your Motion+ attachment. I don't have any of these problems, seriously. The Beetle controls just fine, I can attack in whatever direction I want to easily and I recenter the cursor once every hour. That's really weird. Try another Motion+ attachment and see if it makes your experience smoother.

edit: Oh, so it works in both Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2. Very weird indeed, because it works wonderfully for me. I wish I could help =(

dark10x

Maybe I'll grab a Wii-mote plus or something and try that. I don't like how clunky the motion+ makes the Wii-mote feel so I'd rather have it integrated. Plus, that stupid little port cover flaps around as I swing, which is also annoying.

Fugu

I'm finding that I have trouble getting the game to register the specific sword swings. It combines poorly with the fact that it sometimes registers me trying to simply move my hand as swings, making it hard to set up the precise movements that it seems to require.

Suggestions then?

Between the things you listed and you mentioning that your controller makes the Wii go screwy when you turn it on/off, it sounds like you have a defective controller. The beetle should not be moving like that.

Feep

Banned
Actually, I want to note that I suffered the same hard right/hard left Beetle motions with my setup. I chalked it up to hardware issues and did not include it in the review. Everything else worked fine, though.

It actually went away if I turned off the Wii and rebooted the game, but it would crop up from time to time. Not sure why it was occurring.

Actually, I want to note that I suffered the same hard right/hard left Beetle motions with my setup. I chalked it up to hardware issues and did not include it in the review. Everything else worked fine, though.

It actually went away if I turned off the Wii and rebooted the game, but it would crop up from time to time. Not sure why it was occurring.

This also makes me think it's something interfering with the IR syncing.

ivysaur12

Banned
I dunno what's wrong. This motion plus attachment works 100% perfect in Sports Resort and Red Steel 2. It just doesn't feel right with Zelda.

The beetle thing is making me wonder if there IS a problem as I cannot get it to fly straight. The bird? Yeah, no problem, but the beetle is terrible. It only flies straight if I launch it and keep my hand still. Once I start turning it will never return to flying straight.

I'm still not convinced that more convoluted controls are what this series needed.

I don't think I'd classify anything about Skyward Sword's controls as "convoluted." You could make an argument for the bomb, maybe, but everything else works simply.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't think I'd classify anything about Skyward Sword's controls as "convoluted." You could make an argument for the bomb, maybe, but everything else works simply.

The bomb really suffers from the same problem as it has in all 3D Zeldas: since you don't go into a separate targeting mode you're relying on the regular controls to align for throws and rolls and the game just doesn't seem to have the resolution of movement.

Just beat the third dungeon. Loving the game so far.

Only have one question:

How the hell do you catch those ants?! I swing horizontally and vertically with the net over and over again but it doesn't seem to work and then they just burrow underground.

The bomb really suffers from the same problem as it has in all 3D Zeldas: since you don't go into a separate targeting mode you're relying on the regular controls to align for throws and rolls and the game just doesn't seem to have the resolution of movement.

At least they don't light them until you throw them now.

Fugu

I find the item selection to be a rather significant step backwards compared to other 3D zeldas. I would also define the changes to the roll and shield to be convoluted, as now rolling requires both a button press and a motion gesture and I'm not even totally sure how to keep the shield drawn.

EDIT: Also, why are there checkpoints?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just looking at him makes me whistle the song that plays in the Bazaar while talking to him. Awesome, I love this character. Beedle is awesome too: "thaaaaank yooou" (his voice is too funny).

Oh man, and just wait till you visit him on his island...

He reveals that he actually speaks like a posh gentleman, lol

I also like in terms of characters...

Scrapper. Calling Link Mr. Shortpants and falling in love with Fi, resulting in a "........" from her. Great touch.

Branduil

Suggestions then?

Are you sure something is not interfering with the signal? And your sensor bar should always be on, it uses it to recalibrate periodically.

2) You don't have to rotate the puzzles all at once. You can let go of A and readjust before moving it again.

Zekes!

People keep saying in this game they can't believe Link's the hero 'cause he's just a boy...makes me wonder what they would of thought of Wind Waker Link

Mii

Banned
Finished the game today. A few thoughts:

The best moments of Skyward Sword are some of the best in the entire series; however, the worst moments of Skyward Sword are truly horrid relative to Zelda standards.

Presentation: Nintendo finally found a unique artstyle that fits the Zelda universe well. I like to think that if LTTP were created today, it would look something like this. I never was fond of the Wind Waker artstyle (especially the Link model). Twilight Princess suffered from poor texture compression; the artstyle could have worked on an HD-era console, but the style would still lack the vibrancy I would expect of Zelda. Skyward Sword finds a happy middleground. The game has perhaps a little too much influence from Japanese anime and the bad elements of Final Fantasy at times but not to a damaging degree. The series has clearly come far from OOT where the most emotion in a scene was Saria looking on as Link ran off. Cutscenes are surprisingly packed with emotion without voice acting. I don't think voiceacting will ever fit in the Zelda universe, and Skyward Sword does a good job of showing that it isn't necessary to match the storytelling quality of the great games today. Orchestrated music is a decade late to the series but still very much welcome. Skyward Sword perfects old-school gaming storytelling; having played SS after playing Uncharted 3, I can say I enjoyed the storytelling of Skyward Sword more.

Character Interaction: Finally, Nintendo understood what made Majora's Mask and Clock Town so alive; vivid characters with daily ordeals are truly what bring a video game 'city' to life. Skyloft is the second most lively city in series history behind Clock Town. Each character has a personality of his own with some 'role' to fill. I do think more could have been done with the day/night function, and more complex sidequests could have been created; however, the vibrancy of the characters and the breadth of sidequests are finally a step in the right direction after a complete lack of sidequests in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
Groose
may be the first character to matter to the ongoing main storyline of a Zelda game that isn't Link, the villain, Zelda, or Link's companion. I greatly appreciated the humor and humanity brought by the character to the storyline. Perhaps that is really Skyward Sword's strength; each character really is 'human'.
The surprising and unfortunate opposite to this is the uselessness and bland nature of the Mogma and Kikwi; the game would have been better without both

A Link to the Past (and Future): As different as I initially thought Skyward Sword would be from the rest of the series due to its very different 'feel' in trailers, the game did an amazing job of bringing all of the Zelda timeline together. The game does an excellent job of tying in the future of the Zelda timeline without shoving it into your face at all times. Also, some of my favorite dungeon design choices came back to life in 3D from the 2D era. For any diehard Zelda fan, the references from LTTP all the way to AOL are very much appreciated.

Dungeons: Twilight Princess was the peak of traditional 3D Zelda dungeon gameplay. In overall creativity, design, and challenge, Skyward Sword simply can't match. The game's dungeons are often too small to allow exploration or even the chance to go the wrong direction. There weren't any particularly difficult puzzles within the entirety of the game either. With that said, I don't think I will fondly remember any particular dungeon from Twilight Princess as much as I will the
Lanayru stages
from Skyward Sword. Not only were the gameplay mechanics and dungeon deisgn intriguing and very unique for the Zelda universe, they were also very fun. I can't think of a single region in any Zelda game as enjoyable as
Lanayru
since Gerudo Valley. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I dreaded entering
Faron Woods
every time. The entire region (in every rehashed nature of it) screams developer laziness to me. Outside of
the Ancient Cistern which was great
, the whole region could be cut and I wouldn't be upset.

Fi and 'handholding': I consider Fi a broken gameplay mechanic; Nintendo needed an option to put Fi in a 'pro' mode of sorts. Without it, Fi will now become known as somehow being even more annoying than Navi. If text was fast to scroll through and Fi decided not to make the obvious more obvious every 10 seconds, the game would have been significantly more enjoyable. Nintendo clearly was looking for a way to bring a new age of gamers into the Zelda franchise, but they gave the core gamers no options to play without the handholding. (
Even Hero Mode has the same amount of coddling; Fairies and seats are around every corner, and Fi still has most of the same discussions. The only improvement is text can be scrolled through and all scenes can be skipped; however, both of these should have been options before Hero Mode)
. The best I could do was avoid reading anything Fi said.

Controls and Gameplay Mechanics: SS certainly takes the most radical departure from prior control method since the series' transition to 3D. Any radical change does have its bumps in the road. I do think the controls in the transition to 3D were more solid and robust for OOT than the motion controls were for SS. Only at around 50 hours do I finally feel 100% comfortable with the motion controls
(playing through Hero Mode right now)
. I don't know how much of this is attributable to me being left-handed, but I view that adjustment period to be too extensive. Uncharacteristically of Nintendo, controls were the most unpolished portion of the game. The equipment could all be easily handled once I got used to pointing to the middle of the screen before using equipment. Also, the centering button helped as well. I cannot say the same for swordplay. While I feel motion controls for equipment enhanced immersion in the game, swordplay I felt added little to the gaming experience. It took me until well into the game to understand what odd methods of holding the controller were necessary to quickly allow certain swipes. I normally for most games hold the Wii Remote at a slight tilt; any time i would try to swipe left and right in Skyward Sword, the game react as if I did a diagonal strike. Nintendo tried to find some happy medium where left-right, diagonal, and up-down were the only acceptable motions. Many of my swipes were not able to translate directly into these. My recommendation would be to simplify even further to only up-down and left-right, or allow a full spectrum of slashes and open up the baddies to a larger variety of attack angles. I also found the delay between my motions and Link's actions to be a severe problem. Boss battles did benefit from the motionplus swordplay addition, but battles with average dungeon baddies had to slow down and ended up more of a nuisance than an enjoyment. By the end of the game, I made sure to take out baddies in every way other than using my sword. Ultimately, it felt like bosses were reimagined for the control changes, but baddies were merely tweaked to block a few attacks. Not every enemy needs to be a process to eliminate. I am eager to see further innovation with equipment using motion plus though. Some control choices confounded me though; why was the option to lock Z-targeting taken away? The Z-button on the nun-chuck sucks. Why would you force the gamer to hold down that crappy button? Also, Skyward Sword must have the lamest shields of any game ever; I don't think I've seen shields break so easily. To properly use the shield, proper timing of shield jabs were required; however, due to the delay between motion and Link's actions, shield jabs often were not easy to complete.

Collectathons and other non-dungeon nonsense: Who decided Zelda-Kazooie was the right way for the series to go? Did anyone really think Dowsing as a main gameplay mechanic was a good idea? I don't want an artificially elongated game caused by running around for shards, music notes, or whatever else bizarre crap. Zelda is about dungeons and exploration; heart gathering and collectathons are sidequests. There was a period where I nearly lost it in the game after the 6th dungeon where
first I had to ride on my bird to shatter targets. I jokingly kidded as I read the dialogue beforehand that I would have to go collect crap in the sky, and lo and behold I had to.
. Almost right after this, I then had to withstand what clearly must have been some cruel joke arranged by Nintendo.
They dared to rehash a region by making it an underwater level with the most robust collectathon perhaps in Nintendo history. To top it off, those goddamn tadtones were timed so that you had to collect the whole set in one go. This resulted in having to REPEAT particularly long collection chains. How many hated gameplay mechanics can you throw together at once???
I nearly stopped playing right there. Thankfully I didn't as the game improved from there. Oddly enough, the TP-inspired
silent realm
collections weren't so bad. Had they been the only moments where Link had to collect various crap in the pre-dungeon regions, I probably would have not minded. I probably could have even tolerated putting together shards to make various 'keys' for dungeon doors if dowsing wasn't practically required to locate some. Ultimately, the collectathons felt tacked on to simply run the gaming clock longer. I would rather have a shorter game focused on the dungeons, puzzles, cities and sidequests than bother with these cheap gameplay additions.

Rating:

MM > TP = OOT = SS > WW

Anth0ny

People keep saying in this game they can't believe Link's the hero 'cause he's just a boy...makes me wonder what they would of thought of Wind Waker Link

I'm more concerned about the fact that he can't run for more than 5 seconds without running out of breath.

gabe90

Grabbed my copy today. With a few days of pure, and rare, freedom I picked this up over Skyrim. Don't let me down Zelda.

Hmm. I'm having trouble with the
Farore
trial.
Where's the final tear? I've collected 14 tears multiple times but there aren't any more that are on the map or giving off beacons.

Red

I never thought of WW Link as a big hero, just a second-rate substitute.

Don't have any problem accepting SS Link. He's more agile than any past Link, can attack more ferociously, and has no qualms about being in an almost constant state of freefall. He's heroic.

The only issue is maybe his heroics come a little too easy, so he can afford to slack off while others work hard. But hey, he's the chosen one. Comes with the territory.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Question about butterflys and walls!
IIRC a stone said something about them healing, so I drew a heart and it shot a bunch out. I found another and tried a rupee, which also worked. Anything else I can do with them?

cajunator

Banned
Need some help in
Ancient Cistern
At the beginning of the dungeon, there is an inscription. I read it,
found the corresponding markings on the big center statue, and went in the room with the 4 gemstone lock. I struck them in order: top, bottom, left, right,
and NOTHING HAPPENS. Did I mess up something or is there something more to this? Is it a glitch?

Branduil

Need some help in
Ancient Cistern
found the corresponding markings on the big center statue, and went in the room with the 4 gemstone lock. I struck them in order: top, bottom, left, right,
and NOTHING HAPPENS. Did I mess up something or is there something more to this? Is it a glitch?
To be honest
I just guessed on that door until I got it. Where is the stone with the inscription?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Question about butterflys and walls!
IIRC a stone said something about them healing, so I drew a heart and it shot a bunch out. I found another and tried a rupee, which also worked. Anything else I can do with them?

Arrows, and bombs. Thats what I know of

You can also get faeries with them :)

Need some help in
Ancient Cistern

It's been a while so I don't really remember, but
try down up left right instead
(corrected with info from uchihasasuke below since I can't remember, hahaha. I'll take his word for it.

To be honest
I just guessed on that door until I got it. Where is the stone with the inscription?

It's right next to the central door of the statue.
You need to look at the back of the statue, and the back of his both hands to see the markings.
I think it's a pretty neat little puzzle.

Madao

Need some help in
Ancient Cistern

the order is down, up, left, right. it confused me too at first (if my directions are wrong, that's proof the hint wasn't clear)

Top Bottom