• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Fugu

Fi.

Annoying for most of the game (yes, I'm low on hearts. The first irritating noise didn't tip me off, and I can't seem to find my hearts on the overlay; thank you, Nintendo, for implementing another way to inform me), and an actual impediment to the puzzle-solving elsewhere.

Pre-third dungeon spoilers:
What got me was when she basically explained why your map was updated and then told you exactly what the effect was essentially as soon as the player could have discovered it themselves. This would have been a really neat puzzle if the game didn't tell me about it beforehand.

Fi.

Annoying for most of the game (yes, I'm low on hearts. The first irritating noise didn't tip me off, and I can't seem to find my hearts on the overlay; thank you, Nintendo, for implementing another way to inform me), and an actual impediment to the puzzle-solving elsewhere.

Pre-third dungeon spoilers:
What got me was when she basically explained why your map was updated and then told you exactly what the effect was essentially as soon as the player could have discovered it themselves. This would have been a really neat puzzle if the game didn't tell me about it beforehand.

Am I the only one who failed at it first, and then she told me? or am I crazy and just forgot what she said, so she told me again.

protonion

Oh regarding Fi...
The worst puzzle spoiler happens in the fifth dungeon. She actually reveals the solution before you even see the puzzle for yourself. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Oh regarding Fi...
The worst puzzle spoiler happens in the fifth dungeon. She actually reveals the solution before you even see the puzzle for yourself. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

no...no I do not. She never spoiled a puzzle for me except for the pre-third dungeon puzzle.

protonion

^

In the room where you have to shoot an arrow through a window in the ceiling to hit the time crystal. As soon as you enter the room Fi interrupts the gameplay, shows you the window and tells you what to do. I was like WTF I didn't even looked around myself!

^

In the room where you have to shoot an arrow through a window in the ceiling to hit the time crystal. As soon as you enter the room Fi interrupts the gameplay, shows you the window and tells you what to do. I was like WTF I didn't even looked around myself!

lol, that didn't happen to me (or at least I don't recall it happening). I walked around aimlessly for 30 minutes wondering what I was suppose to do...

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Finally got to the fourth dungeon. I'm saving it for when I return from Thanksgiving break.

I didn't feel like any of it was padding. Retrieving the
sacred water for Faron
was pushing it, but I enjoyed
going back to Skyview Temple
. I just think it could have been handled a little better. I enjoyed all the other sections, especially the
Silent Realm
. The music and visuals there were great.

If I have one complaint about the controls, it's
playing the damn harp. It seems fine when I'm just playing with the normal background music, but when it's for something important, I can't seem to strum with the rhythm. Link's hand keeps jumping all over the harp and I have to start the song over. I'm getting better at it, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the controller than me.
Everything else in the game controls fine.

Loonz

Finished the
4th
dungeon, the
asian cistern
or whatever. The first 2 hours of the game I thought it was a bit uninspired, full of bullshitty things and skyloft was a huge extension devoid of any life but... but... this 2
last dungeons
, the
final boss
of the
2nd
, this
final boss
in the
4th
one... man, such an absolutely fantastic design and animation. The way the "theme" of the dungeon is transferred to the gameplay of its puzzles is nothing sort of genius, and they're soooo beautiful and FUN to play. Fucking best gameplay design of the industry. The little touches like the cut-scenes where you see Link entering the dungeons are awesome, and they're everywhere. Incredible game.

With Zelda and Mario on the 3DS right now I'm in such a gaming bliss. Great times to be a player.

Kandinsky

^

Lies, her icon just flashes, your own fault if you press down , I know this because i just got to that part, well not me but a person playing next to me :p

Medalion

Banned
I'm giving this game another go through Dolphin, I gotta figure out how to get my save state from my Wii to Dolphin so I don't have to start all over again

Sinthetic

Another 2 hours done, another half dozen reasons why I'm in love.

It just feels great to me, I'm happy when I'm messing about in the sky or laying the smackdown on enemies.

I'm just about to enter the 3rd area and I'm sure I haven't seen anything yet.

i suck at puzzles so Fi spoilage won't piss me off. Lol. In fact she isn't that bad so far.

Just finished the first temple...died on the boss. Yep.

Not sure if I got a great grasp on the sword stuff yet but it's still pretty fun. If the first temple is the worst one then I'm gonna like this game.

I was so disappointed *dungeon 3 spoilers and post*
That I got the vacuum cleaner instead of the hook shot, also the random boss fight in the scared grounds was pretty bad, first bad boss of the game though

Frillen

So I try to get a good time on that rollercoaster thingy but apparently I'm too slow. I just checked a guide and it says
I have to beat the expert track in 65 seconds to get the piece of heart. My best time is like 85 seconds. What the hell am I doing wrong?

HOLY SHIT FIFTH DUNGEON

Also as far as Fi "spoiling" puzzles, there have been only two in the game so far, and one I think is if you mess up on the first time (still unnecessary), and the other is optional.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
i made the mistake of beginning to enjoy myself again.

WHAMMO. stealth section
where you lose all you weapons and have to get them back.

No, No, No, nononononononononoNO. Someone take that 1998 videogame level trope book away from Aonuma this very fucking instant.

That I got the vacuum cleaner instead of the hook shot, also the random boss fight in the scared grounds was pretty bad, first bad boss of the game though

Hey don't you dare diss that item it makes me feel like I'm playing a Luigi's Mansion game that I always wanted

Fugu

What spoilers?. I worded my post specially to avoid spoiling anything. Unless saying
2nd
or
4th
dungeon are considered spoilers. I'll mark them anyway.

EDIT: marked

Your description of the fourth dungeon was a spoiler; other than that I didn't feel that anything in the post needed to be marked.

Reknoc

Haha
that item ended up surprising me as well since the area getting there was full of obvious hookshot points.

Kjellson

i made the mistake of beginning to enjoy myself again.

WHAMMO. stealth section
where you lose all you weapons and have to get them back.

No, No, No, nononononononononoNO. Someone take that 1998 videogame level trope book away from Aonuma this very fucking instant.
That part is barely stealth-y. There's like one time you have to sneak past a Bokoblin, and the rest is trying to get to other places with your items. The stealth in Forsaken Fortress was ten times worse.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's the CE expected to have more shipments? My Wal-Mart straight up didn't get any, and I pre-ordered it with them :/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's the CE expected to have more shipments? My Wal-Mart straight up didn't get any, and I pre-ordered it with them :/

No, but I saw some at Kmart today. might try there.

Also see how long your local Best Buy holds pre-orders. They might be getting ready to put them on shelves.

Finally got my limited edition from Amazon today. The box is completed destroyed. It looks like someone walked on it. But the thing is, they shipped it that way. The outside shipping box is undamaged.

Let's see if they can send me a new one when they are sold out. :/

EDIT: Nope! Sending it back for a refund. No limited edition for me. :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I still can't find Rupin's house. It in on the map?
I replied to you earlier:
WHERE THE FUCK IS RUPINS HOUSE. I need to sell some treaure, everyone tells me he'll buy it at night at his house, but Ive been to every house and there's nothing else labelled on the fucking map.
It's
between the bunch of houses on the South-East side of the map, in a small alley in the middle. It's the house of the woman who makes you pay if you break her stuff.

So I try to get a good time on that rollercoaster thingy but apparently I'm too slow. I just checked a guide and it says
I have to beat the expert track in 65 seconds to get the piece of heart. My best time is like 85 seconds. What the hell am I doing wrong?
You need to
tilt the Wii remote towards the inside of each curve to gain speed, of course being careful not to fall down. Also, choose the path on the right at the one junction without a dead end. It's shorter. When I played, I made it in 1:04:99, lol.

Salaadin

Anyone getting a weird flashing white pixel distortion on the screen? My brother has this and it only happens in Zelda and even then, itss only really noticeable in darker areas. Is this the game? Something wrong with the Wii?

We havent tried it on another console yet.

Tuck

Dungeon three done. Fantastic. So, so good. A couple of places I got stuck but everything was clever. The enemies were a blast to fight as well.

Boss fight was slightly disappointing.

Spoilers:
Imprisoned fight was odd, but alright.

Sinthetic

Anyone getting a weird flashing white pixel distortion on the screen? My brother has this and it only happens in Zelda and even then, itss only really noticeable in darker areas. Is this the game? Something wrong with the Wii?

We havent tried it on another console yet.

Definitely getting some white patchy segments running down the screen, pretty sure it must be from the game as my TV works fine.

Saw a shitload of bundle boxes at Walmart today sitting on the shelves. Tried to buy one even though I had the game..."Not for sale". Stupid black friday bullshit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
FINISHED! A little more than 30 hours, some sidequests done and HOT DAMN the finale is intense! Puts any other Zelda game to shame in that department.

Final Boss Spoiler:
Did anybody try to confuse Demise with the Bug Net like you can with Ganondorf and the Fishing Rod in Twilight Princess? I did. It doesn't work. It does follow the net with his head, but it doesn't leave him open for attacks.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So, I bought an extra copy because I didn't want to wait for Amazon to ship my bundle. Now I have my bundle, and I have an extra sealed copy without the ugly blue square in the top left corner. Anyone interested? $40 shipped.

Top Bottom