• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anth0ny

Question about butterflys and walls!
IIRC a stone said something about them healing, so I drew a heart and it shot a bunch out. I found another and tried a rupee, which also worked. Anything else I can do with them?

I've just been drawing dicks, and getting hearts every time. I didn't know the item drop changed depending on what you drew! cool.

I'm playing on my new Samsung LED 55". When I turn on the SmoothMotion, it literally makes the game look like it's authentically running at 60fps. It's amazing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Seriously guys, just be patient with all the puzzles before you're seeking online help or some such. It's a pretty satisfying feeling being able to solve all the puzzles on your own, and the game is actually pretty liberal with clues as long as you pay attention.

Thoraxes

I'm playing on my new Samsung LED 55". When I turn on the SmoothMotion, it literally makes the game look like it's authentically running at 60fps. It's amazing.
Dude, that TV makes everything look almost completely different (in an awesome way). I had to get used to blurays feeling like real life. It was weird.

TDLink

Question about butterflys and walls!
IIRC a stone said something about them healing, so I drew a heart and it shot a bunch out. I found another and tried a rupee, which also worked. Anything else I can do with them?

You can draw:

Heart
Rupee
Arrow
Bomb
The Triforce

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Have I mentioned that I love this game?

Having finished it I am now quite confused on what game I should play next...

Really..., my mind is drawing a blank here. No games can offer me the kind of gaming experience that Zelda can... the blend of action, puzzle, and atmosphere that Zelda provides is something that I just cannot find anywhere else :((

Mistle

I've played 6 1/2 hours now and I'm not even at the second dungeon! Just spent over an hour talking to people around the town about the "demon" kidnapper, then resolved it all. This game is such a pleasure to play so far, and I know I've barely scratched the surface. Awesome.

Plus, being able to hold 800 rupees this early on makes me happy (even if the +300 thing is a bit odd. why not just give me a bigger wallet? lol). I have a good feeling they're not going to go to waste in this game.

Doorman

How can you even say that, WW Link is boss as fuck

What I like about WW Link is the fact that he undertakes the start of his journey and gets a fair way through things before there's even any talk of heroes or destiny. Hell if I remember it right, they present it more as "you must become the hero" in that game rather than "you are the hero."

Working my way up to the third dungeon so far, and the characters have me intrigued, but I will admit that it feels like they played the destiny card so early that it's made the progression of the story feel really inorganic. The additional expressiveness in the cutscenes comes very much appreciated, the items and environmental puzzles have been enjoyable for the most part, and this game more than any other on the Wii truly makes me wish I had a larger TV to take in the visual style a bit better. I also really, really hope that things in the sky really open up, and soon, because so far it's way less entertaining to me than the Great Sea was. Overall the game has its flaws so far, but it's growing on me, certainly in more of a way than Twilight Princess ever did.

Johnas

I just finished the third proper dungeon, and the short sequence following it.

I'm liking the game pretty well I guess. I'm a little torn on the new overworld design, it's different than I expected. It's loaded with gameplay and dense with things to do, but many of them end up offering so little (throw a bomb in a basket, a wall falls down with a green rupee behind it) but I do appreciate that they tried something different.

I'm really liking the Minish Cap influence with the items, and the Twilight Princess aesthetic is very apparent in much of the visual design, which I like seeing. I was a little unimpressed initially with the art style, but it has grown on me quite a bit.

I don't feel quite as enthralled with the game overall compared to every other 3D Zelda (and 2D Zelda for that matter) but I'll reserve final judgment until I've finished it, naturally. I'm curious to see where things go from this point.

Guevara

I was a little stuck in the 2nd temple and I noticed Fi was blinking. What the hell I'll see how good the hint system is so I click "Advice"

"Your Wii Remote is low on batteries, please replace them at once"​

Later on, I wonder what Fi has to say about this enemy? I'm having a little trouble with the
lizard dudes and their incessant blocking.

"Master you are low on health. I suggest finding hearts as soon as possible"​

Thanks so much for all your context sensitive help. I don't know what I'd do without you.

cajunator

Banned
To be honest
I just guessed on that door until I got it. Where is the stone with the inscription?

Actually, it WAS a glitch because then I exited the dungeon, came back, tried it again and got through the very first time. strange glitch. This dungeon is so awesome though and I love the item you get in it.

Zekes!

What I like about WW Link is the fact that he undertakes the start of his journey and gets a fair way through things before there's even any talk of heroes or destiny. Hell if I remember it right, they present it more as "you must become the hero" in that game rather than "you are the hero."

Working my way up to the third dungeon so far, and the characters have me intrigued, but I will admit that it feels like they played the destiny card so early that it's made the progression of the story feel really inorganic.

Yeah, I feel like they should of held off of deeming Link the chosen hero until after the third dungeon or something instead of right at the literal beginning

Xane

Having finished it I am now quite confused on what game I should play next...

Really..., my mind is drawing a blank here. No games can offer me the kind of gaming experience that Zelda can... the blend of action, puzzle, and atmosphere that Zelda provides is something that I just cannot find anywhere else :((

The only game which ever came close to the Zelda experience outside of Nintendo was Darksiders. I really enjoyed the game and am looking forward to Darksiders 2.
But apparently GAF seems to hate it. :<

Actually, it WAS a glitch because then I exited the dungeon, came back, tried it again and got through the very first time. strange glitch. This dungeon is so awesome though and I love the item you get in it.
Have you tried hitting the buttons until it resets its position?
Only from there you can input the code correctly.

Uchip

Banned
i finally beat the
get the uber water
quest and am at the
ancient cistern

are there many more quests like this, it was kind of annoying

jackdoe

After eight hours, I've finally gotten into the Earth Temple. I have to admit that I got a bit annoyed at the fetch quest leading up to it and the stupid "Do you want to learn how to use bombs?" trick question which taught you how to use bombs whether you wanted to or not. However, I am still loving the game and its atmosphere.

Branduil

After eight hours, I've finally gotten into the Earth Temple. I have to admit that I got a bit annoyed at the fetch quest leading up to it and the stupid "Do you want to learn how to use bombs?" trick question which taught you how to use bombs whether you wanted to or not. However, I am still loving the game and its atmosphere.

Why would you not want to learn how to use bombs?

Xane

Why would you not want to learn how to use bombs?
Oh, so you know how to use bombs?
Then you know you can throw them by making a throwing gesture with the Wiimote and roll then by making a bowling gesture!
Oh, and of course, you know that you can lay down the bomb with A!
And you sure do know bombs explode some seconds after being thrown!
Good to hear!

Mistle

Seriously guys, just be patient with all the puzzles before you're seeking online help or some such. It's a pretty satisfying feeling being able to solve all the puzzles on your own, and the game is actually pretty liberal with clues as long as you pay attention.
Yeah, I can't bring myself to ask for help on puzzles. Solving it yourself is half the fun of Zelda games, so it's odd to see so many questions.

Hmm, my 55" Panasonic can do this also. I contemplated doing it, but I decided not to at risk of increased input lag. I might try it out however, I only really gave it a 10 second test run. It's a big no-no to me for TV and movies, but I guess for videogames it could be awesome D:

leroidys

Finished the game today. A few thoughts:

/SNIP/

MM > TP = OOT = SS > WW

Its interesting that I largely agree with you, but I rank the games completely differently. In fact, excepting SS, my list is about the complete opposite/inverse.

I'm about 7 hours into skyward sword and it certainly isn't wowing me. The beginning was atrocious, but I'm starting to warm up to it.

Alchemy

Dungeon one down, I'm really starting to hate this game with a passion. So far there has been nothing compelling, interesting, or even fun for me. The boss of the dungeon shows glimpses, but everything else is just frustrating. It is making me despise the Wiimote in ways I didn't think possible.

They finally made a Zelda game I think is terrible. I'm going to try to tough it out a few more dungeons, but the more I play the less I wish I had. I guess I can run through Ocarina of Time 3D again and remember the good ole days.

Guevara

Dungeon one down, I'm really starting to hate this game with a passion. So far there has been nothing compelling, interesting, or even fun for me. The boss of the dungeon shows glimpses, but everything else is just frustrating. It is making me despise the Wiimote in ways I didn't think possible.

They finally made a Zelda game I think is terrible. I'm going to try to tough it out a few more dungeons, but the more I play the less I wish I had. I guess I can run through Ocarina of Time 3D again and remember the good ole days.
Luckily the second dungeon is better and there's not that much forced sword combat coming up. I sympathize with you about the motion controls.

Mistle

I thought the intro sequence (until you leave Skyloft) was charming. I really liked it. And you can plow through it in a hour, so it's not even a chore on replays (I sat through it 3 times! :S) Gaf can be really cynical sometimes.
Controls work great also, can't imagine going back to buttons.

I think it's best I just play the game without reading these Zelda threads, as I find myself disagreeing with a lot that is said in here. I don't want it to hinder my enjoyment :p

Anth0ny

You should at least give it a chance until the third dungeon. I'm not a huge fan of the motion controls either...

Alchemy

Assuming you do them "as intended". I dunno how often this will happen, but in the first dungeon I tried
using the spin attack to get the eyes to get dizzy and fall off. It didn't work, but my logic was that they would follow the tip of my sword and spin around dizzy.
The intended way to handle the puzzle was
by waving your sword around in a wrist tiring circle until it falls off.
That seriously annoyed me.

Xane

Assuming you do them "as intended". I dunno how often this will happen, but in the first dungeon I tried
using the spin attack to get the eyes to get dizzy and fall off. It didn't work, but my logic was that they would follow the tip of my sword and spin around dizzy.

Then just better stop. As it clearly isn't for you then.
Not a fan of motion-based gaming? SS is definitely not for you.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is my personal opinion and my personal opinion alone.

Though I admit that OoT is a good game, for the life of me I just cannot agree to the opinion of so many people that put it at the highest pedestal on which every Zelda game should aspire to reach and surpass.

I don't know, I just disagree with it. In my opinion alone Skyward Sword already manages to surpass Ocarina of Time. Hell, I even think Twilight Princess is a better game than OoT.

I don't see what you mean "as intended". Of course we must solve the puzzles as intended by the developer. I am just saying that the puzzles in Skyward Sword (and Zelda in general) are that much more satisfying to figure out on your own instead of just asking someone, "how?" Maybe it's just me but a lot of people seem so impatient with roadblocks these days instead to just stop for a while and think

And I seriously think that you're exaggerating with your complaint. The solution to the eyes puzzle is both so obvious and clever at the same time, and spin attack? My logic never led me to believe that the spin attack is the solution. "Wrist tiring"? Come on man.

I thought the intro sequence (until you leave Skyloft) was charming. I really liked it. And you can plow through it in a hour, so it's not even a chore on replays (I sat through it 3 times! :S) Gaf can be really cynical sometimes.
Controls work great also, can't imagine going back to buttons.

I think it's best I just play the game without reading these Zelda threads, as I find myself disagreeing with a lot that is said in here. I don't want it to hinder my enjoyment :p

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Yep, it is the game's fault you don't know how eyes work. And if doing that motion is tiring, then well...I don't know.

Alchemy

This is my personal opinion and my personal opinion alone.

Though I admit that OoT is a good game, for the life of me I just cannot agree to the opinion of so many people that put it at the highest pedestal on which every Zelda game should aspire to reach and surpass.

I don't know, I just disagree with it. In my opinion alone Skyward Sword already manages to surpass Ocarina of Time. Hell, I even think Twilight Princess is a better game than OoT.

I actually agree to an extent that TP is a better game, but simply because it takes the core of OoT and polishes it. The only real negative for me was the wolf sequences, which do enough to bring it under OoT.

All I know is I replayed OoT on the 3DS and loved it. Everything felt tight and controlled while maintaining a level of exploration and freedom. Skyward Sword feels like a sloppy corridor runner which tries to abuse my wrist at every possible and unnecessary moment.

I do want to give the artists credits for crafting a great looking (by Wii standards) game. I would seriously like to see this art style being pushed by an HD system. I'm waiting for the soundtrack to pick up, which might be enough to get me to the supposed 'good' bits later.

watershed

Banned
Alright guys I need some help. I've finally hit a puzzle I can't solve. I'm after the 4th dungeon en route to the 5th.
on the pirate ship I've activated the first part of the engine but can't get to the room across the hall with the second switch. There's a metal plate blocking one door and electricity on the other. Been walking around messing with the timeshift crystal for 20 minutes but no clue.
Help!

Also this has been the worst section so far. The areas just aren't as inventive as the past ones.

Socreges

Banned
Was able to spend some time with my copy earlier today finally and my one impression so far is: great art style, total eye sore. Going from HD to this is not easy. It just doesn't look good on big TVs.

RagnarokX

Alright guys I need some help. I've finally hit a puzzle I can't solve. I'm after the 4th dungeon en route to the 5th.
on the pirate ship I've activated the first part of the engine but can't get to the room across the hall with the second switch. There's a metal plate blocking one door and electricity on the other. Been walking around messing with the timeshift crystal for 20 minutes but no clue.
Help!

Also this has been the worst section so far. The areas just aren't as inventive as the past ones.

Simple:
Put block on switch to keep doors open in the past, take the lifeboat up to the deck, shoot the timeshift stone back off, go back down to the room riding the lifeboat, electric fence gone.

And the areas are amazing :p

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

The problem is that you're trying to use "game logic" as opposed to "actual logic." Your solution would never work in a real world scenario, but it is the sort of thing which normally works in games. You're not wrong for trying it, as that's the sort of thing which is normally required... however, Skyward Sword's puzzle requires "real world" logic instead.

Although it's still not NEARLY as stupid/annoying/wrong as some of the stuff in the Metal Gear series. Puzzle solutions only available outside the game world, indeed.

Alchemy

Yep, it is the game's fault you don't know how eyes work. And if doing that motion is tiring, then well...I don't know.

Explain to me the difference between spinning a sword around in a circle really fast and spinning a sword around in a circle really slow, both actions are spinning the point of the blade around in a circle.

It also isn't the repetitive motion as much as it is the angle I have to twist my wrist to get the action to work correctly. There were a couple of times the motion dropped mid circle for me requiring the process to be repeated.

I guess its possible I have some rogue lightbulb or LED screwing with my Wiimote. Maybe I should try playing in the dark -.-

Uchip

Banned
The only bad use of motion control in this game is the harp.

agreed
and only because it takes so freaking long to do each song

Explain to me the difference between spinning a sword around in a circle really fast and spinning a sword around in a circle really slow, both actions are spinning the point of the blade around in a circle.

It also isn't the repetitive motion as much as it is the angle I have to twist my wrist to get the action to work correctly. There were a couple of times the motion dropped mid circle for me requiring the process to be repeated.

I guess its possible I have some rogue lightbulb or LED screwing with my Wiimote. Maybe I should try playing in the dark -.-

1. did you not read the stone?
2. are your wrists chunky?
3. if the motion control is stopping , you need to point it at the sensor bar for half a second to calibrate it

watershed

Banned
Simple:
Take the lifeboat up to the deck, shoot the timeshift stone back off, go back down to the room riding the lifeboat, electric fence gone.

And the areas are amazing :p

Thanks will try.

Most of the areas are great but this particular one
the pirate ship
is meh. The game so far is amazing, this part not so much.

God damn... Can't play the music cd due to the lack of dvd drive in my new laptop >.>"

Anybody kind enough to pm me a dl link? Not sure if this is allowed or not.

Top Bottom