• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Xane

Did someone say Other M?
Despite the general hate, I really liked the game for its gameplay.
The story wasn't bad either, in my opinion. I'm not much of a Metroid fanboy so I didn't mind the different characterization of Samus, which probably got the most hate.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
could you upload the save somewhere to check it? this might be the first dead-end glitch known.

I was about to say "sure", but then it turned out my MicroSD -> SD adapter seems to have gone missing (I don't own a regular SD card), so it seems like that won't be possible. :(

ASIS

The story wasn't bad either, in my opinion. I'm not much of a Metroid fanboy so I didn't mind the different characterization of Samus, which probably got the most hate.

The game wasn't bad by any means, it was just... lifeless -for lack of a better word.
The exploration in SS is actually a bit close to Metroid Prime, coupled with platforming and clever puzzling. I have no idea what everyone's beef with it I love it.

StevieP

Banned
But it was buttons so that means its better because BUTTONS.

win-button.jpg

Penguin

Well encountered a second segment of a game didn't much care for

Tadtones. And they have the nerve to give you dowsing for it when you are like 75% done! >.<

Madao

even if we chalk up the voice acting and the story as the worst parts of Other M, Zelda has no spoken dialogue and the story is actually interesting compared to many past games. whoever made that comparison is crazy.

Just about to enter dungeon 3.

Everything on the surface feels like a damned obstacle course/labyrinth instead of an overworld. It's like diet Metroid.

Everything seems designed within an inch of it's life without any attempt at being organic or plausible.

It actually kind of feels like a 2D Zelda game in 3 dimensions for better or for worse.

Thoraxes

I thought it was kind of funny when they said you would re-explore the older areas in new context with other items, ala Metroid, everyone was jizzing everywhere, and now they play it in-game and absolutely hate it.

Also, play in Pro mode or something people. The last 4 items I got Fi didn't even try to explain to me how to use them or anything. She maybe said 2 things total when I was in
dungeon 4,
and she barely says anything now since I
re-sealed the Imprisoned.

Also I like the
Silent Realm way more than the TP one. I can tell you I was definitely shitting my pants when the music played in the second one when those big guys started chasing after me when I fucked up.
It's nice and quick, challenges you to explore the area with correct pathing, and was enjoyable.

Red

I'm still waiting for a Zelda game where Link starts as a boy from the desert.

Civilstrife, that's what I keep saying about it being reminiscent of Zeldas 1-3. The land areas are closer to the 2d overworlds than anything else.

jman2050

I'm noticing three schools of dissent so far. You have the complaints about the minor but ultimately numerous little design decisions that end up wasting time for people who are already familiar with the conventions of the game they are playing, and that's completely understandable because Fi is annoying, among other things.

Then you have the motion control complaints, as a result of A) just plain not liking motion controls, which is perfectly fine although in that case I question the wisdom of buying this game in the first place given what we knew about it beforehand, or B) after years of playing video games settling into a permanent comfort zone where one is unconsciously either incapable or unwilling to actually learn any new video gaming skills, and thus falling back on games that only challenge what they already know. To the latter I say, "tough luck"

Finally you have the complaints about a Zelda game being a Zelda game, which is just confusing because you'd think someone buying a Zelda game would expect the game to play like a Zelda game and not like any other game, and that if they wanted to play some other game they would seek out that other game instead of buying a Zelda game in hopes of playing that other game. See also: Pokemon, any sports game.

I empathize with the first, agree to disagree with the second, and have no respect for the third.

Everything on the surface feels like a damned obstacle course/labyrinth instead of an overworld. It's like diet Metroid.

Everything seems designed within an inch of it's life without any attempt at being organic or plausible.

It actually kind of feels like a 2D Zelda game in 3 dimensions for better or for worse.

This sounds like a complaint but I see nothing but positives in this. The overworld sections feel like I'm playing LA, which is good cause LA is my first- or second-favorite Zelda.

apana

I feel like it is Zelda taking on the game design of Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime yet still managing to remain Zelda.

bionic77

I love this game and have never had any issues with the motion controls. [/shrugs]

I sucked at it until after I got my ass kicked at the first boss fight. Somehow after that It clicked for me and haven't had a problem since then. To me if the controls don't work either something is wrong with the setup or you need to practice more. Since I have gotten comfortable with the controls they have been very very accurate for me. It reminds me of a fighting game where you have to master the motion and timing of the movements.

I don't play a lot of videogames these days, but I am enjoying it. Very intense game. Sometimes I feel it has a little too much filler between dungeons but overall a very good game that is worth playing if you want to play an epic adventure.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That is weird. That shouldn't happen.

Do you have a side quest active that concerns the Fortune Teller's crystal ball, by any chance?

So, I did that side quest just to make sure it wasn't somehow getting in the way (even though I hadn't previously started it), but no luck. I still just
get the normal landing sequence rather than what's supposed to happen
. So I guess there really is a game-breaking bug that Nintendo somehow managed to miss during the five fucking years they spent developing this game.

I'm fucking mad right now. Furious. I've been loving this game, and now I won't get to see the end of it. Wonderful.

CassSept

I haven't been on the Internet during Wind Waker times, but hell, this has to be the most divisive game in the last couple of years. Personally, I absolutely loved it. There were some lows, but the heights the highs of it reached negated all of it. Pre-5th dungeon part was probably the best segment of any game I've ever played and seriously, that's the PRE-DUNGEON parts. Like, the part where any previous Zelda games had ever excelled at.

Hell, I even liked swimming controls. To me they are the most accurate underwater form of control in 3D environment I've ever encountered. I can't think of a single game before (at least 3D ones) where I ever felt I had complete control over, yet here it is. A mere thought of any problems with swimming controls in this game hadn't even came across my mind until I read GAF.

So, maybe I'm biased. This is a curious case as the lows are quite annoying. But everything else is just so excellent that I simply can't bring myself into hating on this game. The only other comparable game I can think of is RE4, where everything you've encountered so far got used into new ways. Again, especially the pre-5th dungeon segment, which I'm in love with and can't wait until I get to it again. And even though the lows are lower (there are indeed some horrible design decisions here), the highs go into a territory unseen before, especially if the length of the game is considered.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I sucked at it until after I got my ass kicked at the first boss fight. Somehow after that It clicked for me and haven't had a problem since then. To me if the controls don't work either something is wrong with the setup or you need to practice more. Since I have gotten comfortable with the controls they have been very very accurate for me. It reminds me of a fighting game where you have to master the motion and timing of movement.
From walking on the rope to making the finish move in combat, each movement can be achieved with perfect consistency once you master the motion and timing of movement, the fighting game analogy is perfect.

Upgrade item question:

Where do I get Monster Horns?

Get over 20 cuts in the bamboo game and it's one of the possible rewards.

or get it from a chest, they appear a lot around dungeon 4-5 I think.

OR get the 4th dungeon item and use it on monsters that carry a horn.

ASIS

From walking on the rope to making the finish move in combat, each movement can be achieved with perfect consistency once you master the motion and timing of movement, the fighting game analogy is perfect.

But you need to understand this is also a problem. The game used the motion controls because it should have been easier, it should have been a "pick up and play" type of control while maintaining the complex nature of the series. Suffice to say, it didn't do that.

The learning curve is steep in this one, and if one was willing enough to invest some effort they would finally see the potential.

That's why I believe motion controls still have a couple of ways to go until it becomes the "ultimate control scheme" (and i do believe that's possible). It really pains me to see Nintendo walking away from that for the WiiU. I want my Wii remote +++ dammit!

I sucked at it until after I got my ass kicked at the first boss fight. Somehow after that It clicked for me and haven't had a problem since then. To me if the controls don't work either something is wrong with the setup or you need to practice more. Since I have gotten comfortable with the controls they have been very very accurate for me. It reminds me of a fighting game where you have to master the motion and timing of the movements.

I don't play a lot of videogames these days, but I am enjoying it. Very intense game. Sometimes I feel it has a little too much filler between dungeons but overall a very good game that is worth playing if you want to play an epic adventure.

A lot of people are just lazy with the controls - they're swinging in the wrong direction or diverting mid swing and then getting annoyed with it. I concede that it's not the passive experience that a lot of people find it easier to deal with, but the controls are absolutely fine if you perform the right actions. I could make a 20 minute video without a single wrong move.

I think for some it's at least in part due to a distaste for motion controls which is fine, but again, this probably breeds a lack of enthusiasm which leads to less precision or least a magnification of the annoyance when it occasionally DOESN'T read your gesture accurately.

I think it's also a pretty hardcore game in many respects. Whereas something like Skyrim is a brilliant game, mechanically it might as well be 15 years old. Simplistic combat, not a single testing puzzle, it's all about sucking up the atmosphere and traversing the land. Similarly, things like MW3 and Uncharted - very, very simple games, almost like blockbuster movies which provide great entertainment without ever being especially demanding. This is yet another case of a pretty uncompromising game beneath the familiar Nintendo exterior.

jman2050

But you need to understand this is also a problem. The game used the motion controls because it should have been easier, it should have been a "pick up and play" type of control while maintaining the complex nature of the series. Suffice to say, it didn't do that.

The learning curve is steep in this one, and if one was willing enough to invest some effort they would finally see the potential.

That's why I believe motion controls still have a couple of ways to go until it becomes the "ultimate control scheme" (and i do believe that's possible). It really pains me to see Nintendo walking away from that for the WiiU. I want my Wii remote +++ dammit!

Accessibility and ease of use are not the same thing.

Am I the only one that loves the
spirit realm
. I want a bunch more of them. Hell I wish it was a bonus mode.
Imagine a Batman like challenge mode where you have a bunch of these spirit levels with time trails and leaderboards. Silent realm is like a Zelda platformer stealth game hybrid, its so much fun.

ASIS

spirit realm
Imagine a Batman like challenge mode where you have a bunch of these spirit levels with time trails and leaderboards. Silent realm is like a Zelda platformer stealth game hybrid, its so much fun.

No, you're not the only one.

jman2050

I realize that. But motion controls are design to mesh these two together. They have the potential to, but they are not there yet.

Well yeah, but I really think it's just a matter of time, continued refinement on the software side, and of continued exposure. I mean, if people can figure out dual analogs they can figure out motion controls.

Busaiku

Can't believe it took me 2.5 hours to get through Eldin Volcano (not even the temple, just the path to getting the key).
I have a feeling I'm gonna be one of those people that'll take 50 hours t just complete main quest...

ivysaur12

Banned
spirit realm

I just did my first one, and I loved it.

EDIT: Sounds dirty.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can't believe it took me 2.5 hours to get through Eldin Volcano (not even the temple, just the path to getting the key).
I have a feeling I'm gonna be one of those people that'll take 50 hours t just complete main quest...

...and then when you're almost there the game breaks and won't let you finish it.

(Probably not, but this can't be something that will only ever happen to me.)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Where are you exactly in the game?

Quoting myself:

*SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY*
I am learning the different parts of the Hero's Song from the dragons. I have learned the parts from the dragons in Faron and Lanayru, but when I go to Eldin to get the last part nothing happens. I've been running around there like crazy, to see if there's somewhere new I can go, but nope. Eventually, I gave up and looked at a guide (really didn't want to do this), and it seems like you're supposed to get a cutscene where you get imprisoned or something like that when you land? Well, nothing of the sort happens for me, I just land there as usual.
Am I missing something here, or WTF is going on? Is my game broken?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you sure there's actually a game-breaking bug and not just something else?

Read my posts on the last few pages. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a game-breaking glitch. Why else am I not getting the sequence everyone else is getting at that exact point in the game? Fi tells me that's where I need to go (which I already knew, of course), but when I do nothing happens.

ivysaur12

Banned
The songs kind of suck. They don't do anything, and you can't play them outside of the scenes. And even those cutscenes aren't memorable. It's like Twilight Princess all over again.

Top Bottom