• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

20100108063328!Exploding-head.gif

Yeah..
As annoying as this game can be, it's no where near Other M bad.

I don't normally hate games, even if they are shit. But I absolutely deteste Other M.

yanhero

I'm reading a lot of comments about how the combat is so accurate that it is comparable to a fighting game. If so, can you please give me some tips? I find that even the piranha plant that opens both vertically and horizontally to be annoyingly difficult.

For example, if my sword is on the right to begin with, and the plant opens vertically, I have to move my sword slowly to the bottom first, then swing up, but by the time I move it to the bottom, the mouth will have already closed. If I move the sword too quickly to the bottom, it would count as a swing, and i wont be able to do another swing upwards in time.

Red UFO

The songs kind of suck. They don't do anything, and you can't play them outside of the scenes. And even those cutscenes aren't memorable. It's like Twilight Princess all over again.
I like the songs themselves, but in terms of gameplay they are a flop, I agree.

ASIS

Quoting myself:

.. that's weird alright.

Okay, I know you are going to think this is really dumb, and I know that. But just bear in mind that I'm trying to help you get through the bug.

A) Maybe you still didn't learn the song from the thunder dragon? Like you didn't save and you are still on that quest?

B) try talking to lavias and Faron, maybe they have something to say that would trigger it?

You should probably contact Nintendo for this, I guess. Sorry mate, sucks to be you :p.

Teknoman

The flying theme is also great. My favorite piece so far is the tune that plays in the immediately post-dungeon areas.

The flying theme really reminds me of Skies of Arcadia for some reason. Dungeon themes have been pretty much semi-ambient since Ocarina of Time, so I can see why people dont find the dungeon music memorable.

Overworld, outside of dungeons, town, event, and fanfare music has been really great so far.

Motion controls are great for sword fighting as long as you dont swing too fast. Make strong deliberate slashes. Also make use of power spin/vertical power slash attacks.

[Nintex]

The story of this game kinda fell apart when they flat out tell you that it doesn't matter that Zelda is gone. If they had some dragon attack Skyloft and a bunch of people were kidnapped and put in prisons under the clouds we might actually had a cool story. But right now it's... Zelda is gone, whatever... just keep running away from Freeza.

I guess development took 5 years because the had to wait for all of Fi's text to load during every testing session... or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm reading a lot of comments about how the combat is so accurate that it is comparable to a fighting game. If so, can you please give me some tips? I find that even the piranha plant that opens both vertically and horizontally to be annoyingly difficult.

For example, if my sword is on the right to begin with, and the plant opens vertically, I have to move my sword slowly to the bottom first, then swing up, but by the time I move it to he bottom, the mouth will have already closed. If I move the sword too quickly to the bottom, it would count as a swing, and i wont be able to do another swing upwards in time.

Well an easy way to deal with those plant is to let them lunge at you since they will always open there mouth again in the same position so you can easily prepare your swipe.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The songs kind of suck. They don't do anything, and you can't play them outside of the scenes. And even those cutscenes aren't memorable. It's like Twilight Princess all over again.
Hell no. Howling was fucking horrible in TP. The songs here may be kind of pointless and forgettable, but - as a friend of mine happened to say today - at least you aren't doing random high pitched howls for minutes until the game finally decides your whining resembles a classic Zelda song.

Stupid question, but how do you defeat a
Beamos
in the third dungeon?
They basically
have the solution painted over them.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hell no. Howling was fucking horrible in TP. The songs here may be kind of pointless and forgettable, but - as a friend of mine happened to say today - at least you aren't doing random high pitched howls for minutes until the game finally decides your whining resembles a classic Zelda song.

They basically
have the solution painted over them.

Well, this is true, but I wish they were more memorable/had more purpose.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Well an easy way to deal with those plant is to let them lunge at you since they will always open there mouth again in the same position so you can easily prepare your swipe.
I also use the beetle against plants, even when they're on the ground.

Teknoman

For example, if my sword is on the right to begin with, and the plant opens vertically, I have to move my sword slowly to the bottom first, then swing up, but by the time I move it to the bottom, the mouth will have already closed. If I move the sword too quickly to the bottom, it would count as a swing, and i wont be able to do another swing upwards in time.

You dont have to wait until the sword is in position. Just act as if you were using the sword in real life. Do a horizontal swing, and if its deflected, go immediately into a vertical slash.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you sure you did everything correctly? Do
both parts of the song show up in your menu when you press 1?

Yep,
both the forest and desert parts of the song are there (showing up as two broken pieces), and when I ask Fi what the next objective is she says that I have two parts of the song and that I should go to Eldin to get the last part

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

It's all part of the fun, even minor enemies like that have little tricks. if you get time to hit it, do it. If you don't get time to hit it, let it attack you and do a successful timed block instead of the easier but less effective dodge, which will stun it and make it easy to kill. Or throw a bomb at it, since it can't run away (or does it eat them, I forget). Or stand a little further away and kill it with the ranged attacks, as soon as it changes the mouth oriantation. Or whatever.

I guess some of these might not be available yet if you're at the very beginning.

...What the fuck Nintex, spoiler tag?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yep,
both the forest and desert parts of the song are there (showing up as two broken pieces), and when I ask Fi what the next objective is she says that I have two parts of the song and that I should go to Eldin to get the last part
What's the
last part you got? Have you tried going back there and talking to people, and then warping again to Eldin? Maybe something got messed up and this *could* help.

[Nintex]

Nintendo should really let EAD Tokyo develop the next Zelda, they simply must. Super Mario 3D Land has so many: "oh wow, I can't believe they thought of that!" moments in its design that it makes me wonder how they would fix certain issues that this game has.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's the
last part you got? Have you tried going back there and talking to people, and then warping again to Eldin? Maybe something got messed up and this *could* help.

I did
Faron (the forest) first, and then Lanayru (the desert). I went back and talked to the desert dragon, but all he did was offer me to do the boss rush stuff

Teknoman

Not sure how flying with the remote is annoying either, since its really easy to do. Graphic style makes me think of Link to the Past for some reason, except 3D. The first dungeon has been pretty atmospheric so far.

ASIS

I really like the music that plays on the smaller islands.

One of the best songs in the OST. It's not that it's memorable as much as it perfectly captures the feeling of the sky better than any other song. So peaceful, relaxing, happy. Everyone doing their daily things.

This song will definitely get more respect as time goes by.

RPGCrazied

Been playing now for about 30 hours. I'm at the
Sandship going after the 2nd flame for the next sword upgrade.

As of now, it ties with Twilight Princess for the best 3D Zelda game for me. I guess I need to see the ending and the last of the game to make a final decision.

So, something else in this game just infuriated me.

So I felt like doing some sidequests (anything I can do to put off the next silent realm), so decided to do the pumpkin patch stuff. Did everything, carried pumpkins twice successfully after pulling my hair out a few times, did the lame song thing, got the heart piece, yadda yadda. Finally, she requested she needs someone to plow the patch (I think she secretly wants plowing). Anyway, knew I had to find a mogma. So went to eldin and spoke to every fucking mogma I could find in every corner of the volcano. Nothing. Finally, I gave up and went online, only to find out that it arbitrarily won't let you finish that quest until you beat the 6th dungeon. Oh, ok, fantastic. There is not a fucking indication anywhere in the game this is the case, they pretty much give you the go ahead to do the sidequest, but... it doesnt activate 'just cause', forcing you to wate your time with no indication that its impossible to do. Basically, being forced to consult the internet for something that makes no logical sense. Apparently, the mogma randomly becomes a dowsing target after this is done. Then why even have her ask you to do it? What a ridiculous artificial limitation, and the very opposite of intuitiveness. Am I holding this game to higher standards? No, I don't think so. I haven't experienced anything so idiotic in recent memory with any other game.

It will remind you that the boss key goes in the fucking boss door every fucking time, but leaves you utterly in the dark with shit like this. Inexcusable. At this point I just want to play the final dungeon/boss and have this game be over and done with. I have no more patience for the fetch quests and silent realms to come

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I did
Faron (the forest) first, and then Lanayru (the desert). I went back and talked to the desert dragon, but all he did was offer me to do the boss rush stuff
Damn :/
Tried going back to Skyloft? Or talking to
Levias
again?
It's likely it won't help (you're not even supposed to do the latter), but honestly I can't think of anything else. Sorry.

Mael

Dear god the pacing between the 3rd and 4th dungeon is downright horrible!
The 4th dungeon was a bit underwhelming BUT the change of atmosphere was incredible and I can say that this game will be the most incredible thing to do a limited heart run!
the miniboss actually killed me! twice, didn't see that coming. Then again he hit hard.
On to dungeon 5....

yanhero

Yeah that works for sure, I guess I just don't have the patience to wait for it to lunge at me after killing so many of them lol.

You dont have to wait until the sword is in position. Just act as if you were using the sword in real life. Do a horizontal swing, and if its deflected, go immediately into a vertical slash.

The problem is, if its deflected, the plant will close its mouth and open at a random position again. And I won't have time to position my sword correctly if it opens at a different direction than where my sword is initially.

Like if I first swung from left to right, and then the plant opens vertically, I do this:

Code:
     |\ 
     | \
     |  \
     v   \
--------->

And it will be too late, as I have to move my sword slowly to the upwards position.

Are you suggesting I do this instead?

Code:
------->
         |
         |
         v

It's all part of the fun, even minor enemies like that have little tricks. if you get time to hit it, do it. If you don't get time to hit it, let it attack you and do a successful timed block instead of the easier but less effective dodge, which will stun it and make it easy to kill. Or throw a bomb at it, since it can't run away (or does it eat them, I forget). Or stand a little further away and kill it with the ranged attacks, as soon as it changes the mouth oriantation. Or whatever.

I guess some of these might not be available yet if you're at the very beginning.

I find the shield so much fun to use, but its such a huge pain to have to go all the way back up to skyloft to buy another one when it breaks, I just never bothered to.

Mael

Yeah that works for sure, I guess I just don't have the patience to wait for it to lunge at me after killing so many of them lol.

The problem is, if its deflected, the plant will close its mouth and open at a random position again. And I won't have time to position my sword correctly if it opens at a different direction than where my sword is initially.

Like if I first swung from left to right, and then the plant opens vertically, I do this:

Code:
     |\ 
     | \
     |  \
     v   \
--------->

And it will be too late, as I have to move my sword slowly to the upwards position.

Code:
------->
         |
         |
         v

I find the shield so much fun to use, but its such a huge pain to have to go all the way back up to skyloft to buy another one when it breaks, I just never bothered to.
You know there's potions that can repair your shield?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If you do properly timed blocks (shield bash blocks) its durability doesn't decrease and you can keep it forever. Also, you can carry more than one I think, I'm not sure if of the same type, but it's probably possible... And you can get repair potions too.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

So I felt like doing some sidequests (anything I can do to put off the next silent realm), so decided to do the pumpkin patch stuff. Did everything, carried pumpkins twice successfully after pulling my hair out a few times, did the lame song thing, got the heart piece, yadda yadda. Finally, she requested she needs someone to plow the patch (I think she secretly wants plowing). Anyway, knew I had to find a mogma. So went to eldin and spoke to every fucking mogma I could find in every corner of the volcano. Nothing. Finally, I gave up and went online, only to find out that it arbitrarily won't let you finish that quest until you beat the 6th dungeon. Oh, ok, fantastic. There is not a fucking indication anywhere in the game this is the case, they pretty much give you the go ahead to do the sidequest, but... it doesnt activate 'just cause', forcing you to wate your time with no indication that its impossible to do. Basically, being forced to consult the internet for something that makes no logical sense. Apparently, the mogma randomly becomes a dowsing target after this is done. Then why even have her ask you to do it? What a ridiculous artificial limitation, and the very opposite of intuitiveness. Am I holding this game to higher standards? No, I don't think so. I haven't experienced anything so idiotic in recent memory with any other game.

It will remind you that the boss key goes in the fucking boss door every fucking time, but leaves you utterly in the dark with shit like this. Inexcusable. At this point I just want to play the final dungeon/boss and have this game be over and done with. I have no more patience for the fetch quests and silent realms to come
Uhm, are you sure the sidequest had even started? Did she have a speech bubble on her head?

Code:
------->
         |
         |
         v
This should work.

With shield bashes it doesn't get damaged, and unless it breaks you can get it repaired for cheap whenever you happen to fly back to Skyloft to do other stuff.
EDIT: Also, as Mael said, you can buy potions to repair it anywhere.

Absol

I'm guessing she didn't have the "..." bubble above her head like all other times when you talk to people that gives you side quests. Because I also remember talking to her about that quest but since she didn't have that bubble I knew I couldn't start it yet.

Chao

I really need help by someone who has beaten the game, since I'm totally stuck close to the end.

*SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY*
I am learning the different parts of the Hero's Song from the dragons. I have learned the parts from the dragons in Faron and Lanayru, but when I go to Eldin to get the last part nothing happens. I've been running around there like crazy, to see if there's somewhere new I can go, but nope. Eventually, I gave up and looked at a guide (really didn't want to do this), and it seems like you're supposed to get a cutscene where you get imprisoned or something like that when you land? Well, nothing of the sort happens for me, I just land there as usual.
Am I missing something here, or WTF is going on? Is my game broken?

I don't think that's a glitch, you are just stuck
The sequence you are waiting to happen won't happen until way later. You need to go to the top of the mountain and go past that area that is so hot it will burn your clothes, at the very top. To go through there you need a pair of flameproof earrings (I think they give you those after the spirit trial in Eldin, but I'm not sure). Oce you go past there you will do a few things and then meet the Fire dragon that will teach you the song

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I don't think that's a glitch, you are just stuck
The sequence you are waiting to happen won't happen until way later. You need to go to the top of the mountain and go past that area that is so hot it will burn your clothes, at the very top. To go through there you need a pair of flameproof earrings (I think they give you those after the spirit trial in Eldin, but I'm not sure). Oce you go past there you will do a few things and then meet the Fire dragon that will teach you the song
No, I'm pretty sure the part that's not triggering is
right before he can meet Eldin.

Teknoman

Code:
     |\ 
     | \
     |  \
     v   \
--------->

Code:
------->
         |
         |
         v

Unless they get harder as the game goes on (i'm only in the first dungeon), I fight them similar to the first order of attack, and havent really had any problems. The second attack style probably works fine though.

watershed

Banned
Just beat the 5th or 6th dungeon depending on how you count. Loved the boss fight. Some story stuff:
Ghirahim was awesome but strangely I wiped the floor with him on my first try. The story is getting really interesting now with these gates of time and Link has the full triforce! Crazy.

Feels like I'm nearing the end, but maybe not?

I'm guessing she didn't have the "..." bubble above her head like all other times when you talk to people that gives you side quests. Because I also remember talking to her about that quest but since she didn't have that bubble I knew I couldn't start it yet.

No, but I had no idea that was a requirement. Also, I'm fully upgraded and have every single piece of gear, ie. all capabilities. I don't see why need to arbitrarily wait till the end of the game to do a side-quest that has absolutely nothing to do with the main game. It's a silly artificial limitation, since whatever reward I will get will have no bearing on the game or my progress. It's not like the reward will be a new weapon I'm not supposed to use yet. It will be heartpiece/rupees/treasure which are pretty irrelevant.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
No, but I had no idea that was a requirement. Also, I'm fully upgraded and have every single piece of gear, ie. all capabilities. I don't see why need to arbitrarily wait till the end of the game to do a side-quest that has absolutely nothing to do with the main game. It's a silly artificial limitation, since whatever reward I will get will have no bearing on the game or my progress.
All the sidequests unlock over time, to prevent the player from completing them all at once and guarantee he has new quests to do throughout the game.
In this case, you rightfully guessed what you were supposed to do before time. When I played, I had no idea and assumed it was a minigame that would unlock later.

Ridley327

Anyone get the feeling that there was probably a different boss for the sixth dungeon at one point?

It's not that I found Ghirahim Round 2 unfun or anything (and it's actually a better designed fight than I was expecting, since it calls upon you to use all of your sword skills this time), but it's really at odds with how the other bosses have been. Granted, I think the problem is that there's a huge question mark surrounding what you can possibly do with the Mogma Mitts that you didn't already do against the centipedes. My immediate thought went to something resembling Bomberman as far as trapping something and then bombing it, but they likely scrapped it because of how movement works while you're underground. Maybe they should have called upon Retro to figure something like that out...

Hylian7

I'm on the 6th dungeon.

Is there some obvious solution to saving the Mogma hanging over the lava pit that I'm missing?

Chao

No, I'm pretty sure the part that's not triggering is
right before he can meet Eldin.
But he hasn't done the
Din's trial
yet. How is he supposed to advance then? He's waiting for the
imprisoning scene
which won't happen until later. I know this because that's what I played yesterday and
I met the dragon the day before it. When you go there to find the dragon everything is fine, it's not until later that the volcano goes crazy.

He just needs to do that, almost guaranteed.

You can see how it's done in these videos, there's no cutscene to trigger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDzWsjnMr78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C4eM5WcanM

Just finished the pre-4th dungeon stuff.
I didn't find the
silent realm to be as bad as some of you guys have. It only took about 5-10 minutes and it got pretty tense a few times.

Also, one little thing I like about the story is:
How Girahim is a consistently present threat. I like how we get to see him at least briefly after each dungeon. Unlike most games how you see Ganondorf maybe 3 times throughout the game.

Chao

Just finished the pre-4th dungeon stuff.
I didn't find the
silent realm to be as bad as some of you guys have. It only took about 5-10 minutes and it got pretty tense a few times.

Get ready for the coolest dungeon in a Zelda game then.

Also, one little thing I like about the story is:
How Girahim is a consistently present threat. I like how we get to see him at least briefly after each dungeon. Unlike most games how you see Ganondorf maybe 3 times throughout the game.

Yeah, about that...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
But he hasn't done the
Din's trial
imprisoning scene
which won't happen until later. I know this because that's what I played yesterday and
I met the dragon the day before it. When you go there to find the dragon everything is fine, it's not until later that the volcano goes crazy.

He's talking about something different, not the
Imprisoned
fight.
Din's trial is before dungeon 6, this part is after that dungeon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But he hasn't done the
Din's trial
imprisoning scene

Oh, I did that ages ago (well, a few days ago). I'm much further along in the game than that.

This is what is not triggering for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmKkVVNWx34

(And look, there's a guy right there in the comments with the exact same problem!)

All the sidequests unlock over time, to prevent the player from completing them all at once and guarantee he has new quests to do throughout the game.
In this case, you rightfully guessed what you were supposed to do before time. When I played, I had no idea and assumed it was a minigame that would unlock later.

Yeah, and they punish you for rightfully guessing. She should just shut the hell up until it's actually unlocked, cause that woud be logical.

Top Bottom