• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

People are aggravated because the level of hand-holding in this game is atrocious. The game insists on constantly stating the obvious, without any option in game to turn off these hints and assists. You have to hear the same explanation for the same things every time you turn your Wii back on. Fi must think you have ADD or the memory of an newborn baby.

This coupled with the motion controls has already set this back game into Obnoxious As Hell territory. There is nothing smooth about the controls. Fighting the
scorpion boss
was aggravating because Link seems to completely miss the cue to do a front stab. Shaking of gel monsters invariably can lead to you doing a spinning slash, which can lead to you getting shocked if those blob monsters around you happen to be electric. Link insists on doing a full backflip after doing a killing blow, even if it means he falls right off a pillar to his "death". The bowling motion for throwing bombs can be incredibly frustrating because half the time, he ends up back to a neutral position rather than bowling it (no problems with the overhead toss). I could go on and on about these controls.

The loftwing and beetle controls aren't bad, however, and just take some time to get used to. I find trying to put keys into doors a bit more cumbersome but it's more of an annoyance than anything. I can deal with it.

Thank god the story is fun and the dungeons are great. The boss fights (motion issues aside) are also loads of fun.

I will say that at least this game is better than TwP.

For me, on so many occasions, Fi has instantly fucked my mood by 180. Whenever I have even a slight feeling of wonder and suspense, she makes sure to rape it out of me and convert it to feelings of frustration and indifference. She undeniably and singlehandedly has ruined so many moments for me in the game. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

Latest example:

So I'm in the sandship with the tentacles coming out everywhere and it's sinking, I know the boss is coming up and I'll have to fight the head, most probably when I get out of the ship. I get to the door, and am looking forward to stepping outside, and as I approach Fi pops out with 'HEY THIS IS A 95% CHANCE THAT THE MAIN BODY IS OUTSIDE THAT DOOR IT IS SCARY AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO FIGHT IT' .. thanks for that Fi, you just fucked up my mood and I don't even CARE about it anymore bc you destroyed every hint of wonder, curiosity, and excitement I may have had by telling me exactly what to expect. Why? Shit like this happens over and over in the game, not once adding to the experience. OH LOOK A BIG DOOR LIKE THE LAST 5 YOU ENCOUNTERED, YOU NEED TO FIND A KEY TO INSERT IN IT! 35 hrs in, Nintendo assumes you've been playing for 5 minutes. Always manages to fuck up all the buildup the game might have created. I guess my standards have risen abit over the past 10 years, and my patience for this shit has decreased.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I really need help by someone who has beaten the game, since I'm totally stuck close to the end.

*SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY*
I am learning the different parts of the Hero's Song from the dragons. I have learned the parts from the dragons in Faron and Lanayru, but when I go to Eldin to get the last part nothing happens. I've been running around there like crazy, to see if there's somewhere new I can go, but nope. Eventually, I gave up and looked at a guide (really didn't want to do this), and it seems like you're supposed to get a cutscene where you get imprisoned or something like that when you land? Well, nothing of the sort happens for me, I just land there as usual.
Am I missing something here, or WTF is going on? Is my game broken?

That is weird. That shouldn't happen.

Do you have a side quest active that concerns the Fortune Teller's crystal ball, by any chance?

Past dungeon 5, what an incredible dungeon might I add. The game has everything I love about Zelda, about gaming. Non stop variety and the most incredible level and game design. I am not sure I enjoy it as much as TP but that has more to do with quest design than motion controls.

I LOVE the motion controls, to me it would be hard to go back. Combat in a Zelda game is finally interesting. Every action feels interesting, it's really a groundbreaking title. The next Zelda game better use motion control, there is no going back after this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That is weird. That shouldn't happen.

Do you have a side quest active that concerns the Fortune Teller's crystal ball, by any chance?

Nope, haven't done any side quests with that guy. Guess I'll try to do a side quest I haven't already finished or something like that, to see if that clears it up, but I don't know... When I ask Fi about the currect objective she says I'm supposed to go exactly where I'm going with no success.

So... I'm possibly fucked? Great. This game just dropped from GOTY contender to horrible disappointment in that case. I've loved most of it up to this point, but not being able to finish it (if that is indeed the case) after having played for well over 40 hours is pretty damn anticlimactic. Extremely disappointed.

StevieP

Banned
The last few pages:
t259690_MY_HEAD_IS_FULL_OF_FUCK_How_many_Continents_are_there-s450x268-236907-580.jpg

Things I hate about this game.

1. Rolling bombs, hate it
2. What I had to do to find the magic water
I do not want to go back into dungeon 1!
3. No auto day night system.
4.The sky is way to barren.
5. Fi is annoying.

Still love the game

Coolwhip

Banned
I'm thinking of getting this for the holidays. How is this game for someone with a short attention span. And someone that hasn't finished WW and didn't play TP for more than 2 hours?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm thinking of getting this for the holidays. How is this game for someone with a short attention span. And someone that hasn't finished WW and didn't play TP for more than 2 hours?

Don't buy it, I really don't think you would enjoy it with that track record.

Madao

I really need help by someone who has beaten the game, since I'm totally stuck close to the end.

*SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY*
I am learning the different parts of the Hero's Song from the dragons. I have learned the parts from the dragons in Faron and Lanayru, but when I go to Eldin to get the last part nothing happens. I've been running around there like crazy, to see if there's somewhere new I can go, but nope. Eventually, I gave up and looked at a guide (really didn't want to do this), and it seems like you're supposed to get a cutscene where you get imprisoned or something like that when you land? Well, nothing of the sort happens for me, I just land there as usual.
Am I missing something here, or WTF is going on? Is my game broken?

could you upload the save somewhere to check it? this might be the first dead-end glitch known.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just can't play more of this game. Faron Woods has defeated me. This game is too fucking boring to continue playing. I seriously wonder what in god's name they were thinking when they designed this game.

Apparently fun wasn't something that was high on their list of to-dos.

Also, I think I'm too dumb for this game. I do not understand combat. Half the time, the game isn't doing anything I want it to. The other half of the time, my movements have to be so slow and deliberate that I feel like a total idiot while I'm playing. This game cannot figure out when I'm doing downward slashes. It just cannot figure it out. I'm constantly getting parried by goblins, and all I can do is waggle and hope the game figures out what I'm trying to do. Clearly, doing concerted, deliberate slashes is something the game cannot figure out when I do it. Who fucking knows?

God fucking dammit this game is a snooze. I'm going back to playing a game that actually gets me excited (Skyrim).

I want to love this game. It's Zelda. I think I love Zelda. I think. Who knows though? I hated the last 2 I played.

ASIS

unnecessary perhaps, but the map zooming thing takes like 10 seconds. you guys must be damn impatient

Reading the complaints here now, I know for a fact that I'm not sugar coating the game, because I actually like that it zoomed in. It gave a weird sense of scale, and it doesn't help or hurt anyone in anyway.

I just can't play more of this game. Faron Woods has defeated me. This game is too fucking boring to continue playing. I seriously wonder what in god's name they were thinking when they designed this game.

Also, I think I'm too dumb for this game. I do not understand combat. Half the time, the game isn't doing anything I want it to. The other half of the time, my movements have to be so slow and deliberate that I feel like a total idiot while I'm playing. This game cannot figure out when I'm doing downward slashes. It just cannot figure it out. I'm constantly getting parried by goblins, and all I can do is waggle and hope the game figures out what I'm trying to do. Clearly, doing concerted, deliberate slashes is something the game cannot figure out when I do it. Who fucking knows?

God fucking dammit this game is a snooze. I'm going back to playing a game that actually gets me excited (Skyrim).

I want to love this game. It's Zelda. I think I love Zelda. I think. Who knows though? I hated the last 2 I played.
All the complaining... and you are still in faron woods..

K

Amir0x

Banned

Also, I think I'm too dumb for this game. I do not understand combat. Half the time, the game isn't doing anything I want it to. The other half of the time, my movements have to be so slow and deliberate that I feel like a total idiot while I'm playing. This game cannot figure out when I'm doing downward slashes. It just cannot figure it out.

i'm a little confused by the boring comment to be honest. because i feel like i totally would love the game most of the time were it not for the controls. certainly, the density and depth of the pre-dungeon segments is an improvement from past Zelda titles and I hope they continue that.

In any event, I'm just tired of Fi ruining everything and the game's myriad of annoyances compounded by the control issues, so I'm taking a night break. I have to be on the cusp of beating the game, but I think some more Revelations or Skyrim would help cool me down too.

I wonder what Nintendo could actually do with Zelda that would please more people. It seems that there are those who feel like Zelda isn't developing enough because of the graphics or the fact that the new game doesn't have the scale of something like Skyrim. Or that it's too kiddy or whatever.

And then you have people who scream that it's more of the same, just before going back to Modern Warfare 3 or Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which is just more of the same. Sure, Zelda has been around a lot longer, but there have been changes made along the way. 3D, motion controls, etc.

So let's say that Nintendo develops a sparkling new Zelda for WiiU, with vastly superior graphics, bigger scale, etc. The people complaining about the graphics may be pleased by this, but then the people who complain about it not being grittier or because it's still puzzle solving and dungeon romping-- that there hasn't been enough change for them, are still going to complain as well.

Would Nintendo have to completely redesign the series to the point where it's not even recognizably Zelda anymore in an attempt to appease "everyone else?" This post isn't about the motion control issues-- that's an entire different can of worms-- but I've been reading feedback/impressions on not just here but at other places, and comments made by those who don't even care about the series anymore, and I'm at a loss as to how they could make a Zelda that would stick the franchise back "up there" without making something totally different, that doesn't feel like Zelda.

This worries me to some degree because I feel like Nintendo is already trying to cater to the wider audience by showing off stuff like... say, Arkham City being a WiiU launch title and looking just as good as the current version does, and I think that despite some of the comments about Skyward still not being different enough, it is honestly very different to me. Just the way everything is laid out, the pre-dungeon stuff, how disconnected the environments are... it does feel very different from Twilight Princess. It still feels like Zelda enough to me, but I am finding it decidedly different all the same.

I'm loving the game so far but I feel for people let down by the motion control implementation and those who long for further change. I respect that 100%, but I'm left wondering what Nintendo could do to get people to look at Zelda again like they now look at the other blockbuster franchises out now that are releasing installments every single year with very little change.

And yes, the hand holding is a problem. I'm bearing with it, but it's my first time through the game and I imagine that it's going to be horrible on replays. I think what I'm trying to say is that despite how far out Nintendo is going to deliver a new experience is that at the same time they lack something that, as developers, they cannot lack: confidence. Look at all the hand holding in fear of people not following. Look at how many instructional videos we got prior to the game's release, like the thing with the Goddess Cubes. They released a video just to show that if you use a Skyward Strike on a Cube, that a treasure will open up elsewhere. Thanks, I mean there's no fucking way I could have discovered that on my own or anything.

Someone, I think Ami said that Nintendo thinks gamers are dumber than they really are and that's absolutely true. The appeal of the older Zelda's were that they were a lot more ambiguous and the thrill of playing them was the idea of getting stuck, having no idea where to go or what to do, and then the idea that you'll continue to be stuck OR in the next 2 minutes, figure out what the fuck to do. I was doing this... I mean I was born in 83 and the original came out in 86 I think, so. But now we have sidekicks in every game telling us how to play the game, and while there have been instances where I've been confused as to what to do exactly (which feels good man), at the same time there's been way too much "to walk, move your legs forward one after the other"

I know this post has rambled about so many topics, and I'm sorry for not preparing a more focused essay, but everything I'm saying here kind of runs together in the long run. I'm loving the game so far, every positive thing I've said about it so far still stands, but I am sincerely bummed out about these very real problems ruining the game for some people, just as I was when Uncharted 3 launched with borked aiming and such. Uncharted 3 was a game I really did like a lot, but the aiming problem was so real that the developers sought advice from teh GAF and even invited them over to help address the issue.

Basically, it sucks that the motion control implementation is hurting the game for some, it sucks that some people think Zelda should turn into something totally new in order to be "good" again despite other franchises dishing out annual products that don't change much and getting way more attention, it sucks that Nintendo lacks confidence to the point where they're nervous about releasing the game without letting players just play it and not being treated like a preschooler, and it sucks that even if the next Zelda has beautiful HD graphics and a bigger scale, people are still going to bitch because it will still be the same kind of Zelda gameplay with the focus still on puzzle solving and explorations.

Just... everything sucks, man. 8/10. This post brought to you by boredom, too much time to think, and legitimate concern for the future of the franchise, and enough balls to actually click submit reply.

Fantastic post dude. I have been thinking of all these things as well. I have no clue what people want Zelda to be anymore. At the same time Nintendo is so afraid of pushing gamers, these games can be so much more complex and difficult but it's all held back so 3 year olds can play or something.

Madao

the game starts slow. the first Faron Woods visit is probaly one of the most boring parts of the game. it picks up after dungeon 1.

Xav

Over 5 hours into the game and I'm ready to call it quits as I'm just not having any fun with this game.

Loved Ocarina of Time.
Loved Majora's Mask, in fact one of the most underrated games ever.
Triforce collecting aside I loved Wind Waker.
Loved Twilight Princess until it fell apart after that Sky Temple.

Graphically it does nothing for me, looks like a game that can't decide if it wants to be Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Story wise it's boring me, I couldn't care less what any of these characters have to say and wish the text would scroll faster. In terms of music I have yet to hear anything catchy.
Dowsing is annoying, flying with the Wii remote is annoying, rolling bombs is annoying, that fake Midna's useless advice is annoying, the slow Wii pointer cursor on menus is annoying.

To be really honest the only thing I'm liking about the game outside the responsive sword combat is the gold Wii remote that I got with it. So tell me NeoGAF, am I doing something wrong here? I really want to like the game but can't help but feel it's doing for Zelda what Metroid Other M did to Metroid.

Amir0x

Banned
Over 5 hours into the game and I'm ready to call it quits as I'm just not having any fun with this game.

Loved Ocarina of Time.
Loved Majora's Mask, in fact one of the most underrated games ever.
Triforce collecting aside I loved Wind Waker.
Loved Twilight Princess until it fell apart after that Sky Temple.

Graphically it does nothing for me, looks like a game that can't decide if it wants to be Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Story wise it's boring me, I couldn't care less what any of these characters have to say and wish the text would scroll faster. In terms of music I have yet to hear anything catchy.
Dowsing is annoying, flying with the Wii remote is annoying, rolling bombs is annoying, that fake Midna's useless advice is annoying, the slow Wii pointer cursor on menus is annoying.

To be really honest the only thing I'm liking about the game outside the responsive sword combat is the gold Wii remote that I got with it. So tell me NeoGAF, am I doing something wrong here? I really want to like the game but can't help but feel it's doing for Zelda what Metroid Other M did to Metroid.

whoa whoa whoa... Fi's theme is as amazing as it gets!

Guevara

whoa whoa whoa... Fi's theme is as amazing as it gets!
Yeah but I can't name one other memorable bit of music in the first 3 areas and dungeons. Faron Woods theme in TP > Faron Woods theme in SS, for example. Actually TP had a lot of great music, midi or not.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
the game starts slow. the first Faron Woods visit is probaly one of the most boring parts of the game. it picks up after dungeon 1.

Maybe I'll try to play the game again in like, a month. For now, it's back to Skyrim, a game that actually has plenty to do besides find nutsack squirrels.

Did someone say Other M?

God, what an awful game that was.

Yeah but I can't name one other memorable bit of music in the first 3 areas and dungeons. Faron Woods theme in TP > Faron Woods theme in SS, for example. Actually TP had a lot of great music, midi or not.
How can one not like the Skyloft theme. It's so charming and relaxing.

Guevara

3D Zeldas always start slow. It's like a tradition that the first few areas and 1 or 2 temples are insultingly easy. In that regard SS is actually a little better than TP.

ASIS

Holy shit. Guys, look at this, the Zelda cycle is nearing completion!!!

And again, SS has a lot of great tunes IMO.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I honestly think outside of Mario, people at large may have finally reached and unscaleable amount of franchise fatigue for the same Nintendo stable of characters.

Skyrim and so forth certainly don't offer better gameplay systems (although they also dont bog you down with ADVICE FOR BABIES and slow textbox cutscenes), but they at least fill people with wonder of whats next.

In Zelda I know theres gonna be a forest, desert, and lava level. I know Zelda is going to get into some shit and I'm gonna need to upgrade to the Mastersword, find all the usual gadgets and learn some goddam songs. There'll be tree-sprites, the big lava type people, and all the crew.

With each game it becomes more and more of a struggle to sell this world as fresh to people, and each gimmick is having diminishing effects. I'd love to see Nintendo just apply to 'Zelda formula' to something new and fresh that doesnt suffer from the same shackled expectations of what Link does every single time. Imagine this game if the
whip
had been the main attack weapon from the start, far more interesting useages with Motion+.

At the very least Skyward Sword utterly fails at creating a world I ever give a shit about on any level. Stuffs just there, arbitrarily to hide macguffins in or some faces that spout out fetch quest details.

I find the motion controls mostly spot on. I actually find it more annoying with the whole battle still going on while changing items. I have a natural tendancy to keep holding the B button while playing the wii and this really threw me off many boss fighters.

I'm liking the overall flow of the game. Nothing feels excessively monotonous which I always felt with previous zeldas.

Dungeon design i think is probably the best in the series. I absolutely HATE large dungeons with sprawling maps and so the dungeon size for me is spot on.

The bosses themselves are a lot more varied in what they can do as well.

Fi....She's worse than Midna, better than Navi. I actually can't go back to any N64 zelda because of that stupid fairy.

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe I'll try to play the game again in like, a month. For now, it's back to Skyrim, a game that actually has plenty to do besides find nutsack squirrels.

hahha nutsack squirrels SERIOUSLY. most hilarious Zelda design ever. at least it's not creepy like you-know-what from Twilight Princess.

although it must be said, Skyrim has about an infinity trillion quests that are just as mundane - if not worse - than the squirrel nutsack caper.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In Zelda I know theres gonna be a forest, desert, and lava level. I know Zelda is going to get into some shit and I'm gonna need to upgrade to the Mastersword, find all the usual gadgets and learn some goddam songs. There'll be tree-sprites, the big lava type people, and all the crew.

Actually it's usually forest, lava and water. Also what big lava people?

cajunator

Banned
The opposite seems to be the case for me. I see the motion controls as a very fun addition and I honestly hope that they include it in the next Zelda game and any game thereafter. the technology will improve as time goes on. the Wii has made e appreciate the tech and what it is potentially capable of but motion control gaming is still very young. I really hope they dont abandon it when it can be applied.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"I think that the first 30 minutes of a game is the most important. It's the producers job to make sure it's exciting." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Pretty sure Groose is introduced in that time making your argument completely invalidated.
/checkmate.

ASIS

In Zelda I know theres gonna be a forest, desert, and lava level.

Majora's Mask didn't have any of that, Windwaker didn't have a desert "level".

I know Zelda is going to get into some shit
Again, Majora's mask, phantom hourglass don't do that. WW and SS (particularly SS) do excellent twists on that.

and I'm gonna need to upgrade to the Mastersword

There's no upgrading the master sword in TP. As far as I'm aware, there's no master sword in any of the handheld games.

, find all the usual gadgets and learn some goddam songs.
With every usual gadget you get something unusual. And you didn't learn songs in TP.

There'll be tree-sprites, the big lava type people, and all the crew.

Outside of Gorons, there has barely been any consistent tribes in the Zelda series.

I'd love to see Nintendo just apply to 'Zelda formula' to something new and fresh that doesnt suffer from the same shackled expectations of what Link does every single time. Imagine this game if the
whip
had been the main attack weapon from the start, far more interesting useages with Motion+.

That would be terrible IMO

So.. yeah..

Madao

I honestly think outside of Mario, people at large may have finally reached and unscaleable amount of franchise fatigue for the same Nintendo stable of characters.

Skyrim and so forth certainly don't offer better gameplay systems (although they also dont bog you down with ADVICE FOR BABIES and slow textbox cutscenes), but they at least fill people with wonder of whats next.

With each game it becomes more and more of a struggle to sell this world as fresh to people, and each gimmick is having diminishing effects. I'd love to see Nintendo just apply to 'Zelda formula' to something new and fresh that doesnt suffer from the same shackled expectations of what Link does every single time. Imagine this game if the
whip

At the very least Skyward Sword utterly fails at creating a world I ever give a shit about on any level. Stuffs just there, arbitrarily to hide macguffins in or some faces that spout out fetch quest details.

would you have preferred if the whole game was set in a castle or in a tropical vacation island?

Top Bottom