• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Sagitario

I need some help.

1. While walking on a rope, the Wiimote should be in a vertical position, right? This is really annoying.

2. The only motion I have had [big] problems with [so far] is the landing.
When Zelda gave me the Sailcloth, I tried [at least] 10 times before lading inside the circle and now I am having problems again [Eldin Volcano]. What's the correct motion/handling of the Wiimote? :|

I'm trying to go full backlash, but I keep doing a spin attack instead
Awesome.

Combat against 2D Zelda's equivalents of Bokoblins was walking up and pushing a button, or standing in a corner and spamming slices as they run into you.
"Equivalents"? making sure you weren't going to get spammed by arrows. Not as easy as you are claiming. You often couldn't get more than one or two swipes in at a time cause enemies were constantly on the move and hurling things at you.

DO NOT TIGHT ROPE WALK IN THE WAY YOU, THE PERSON READING THIS, ARE PROBABLY DOING RIGHT NOW

Hold it up and slightly tilt it left and right in time with Link's steps, like a little metronome. You will walk across the rope without ever leaning even the slightest bit. Don't just hold it up and wait for Link to start leaning over before tilting.

Ridleyscott said:
"Equivalents"? making sure you weren't going to get spammed by arrows. Not as easy as you are claiming. You often couldn't get more than one or two swipes in at a time cause enemies were constantly on the move and hurling things at you.

I played LttP like two weeks ago and yeah combat is super simplistic button mashing in 2D Zelda, sorry.

fernoca

Yes jokes should be bannable.

Well, I was banned once for saying that "only Nintendo games makes casuals games" on a thread that was comparing Banjo Kazooie to Wii Sports as examples of casual games. :p

Which is why I put a lot of ":p" and "*sarcasm*" in my posts since then.

DO NOT TIGHT ROPE WALK IN THE WAY YOU, THE PERSON READING THIS, ARE PROBABLY DOING RIGHT NOW

Hold it up and slightly tilt it left and right in time with Link's steps, like a little metronome. Don't just hold it up and wait for Link to start leaning over before tilting.
THIS!
So many people having problems with it.

Also when it comes to kill the plants and other far enemies, remember that the beetle is your friend. You can kill plants easily by using the beetle from afar and cutting them, instead of going one on one and wait for them to open their mouth.

Guevara

I need some help.

1. While walking on a rope, the Wiimote should be in a vertical position, right? This is really annoying.

2. The only motion I have had [big] problems with [so far] is the landing.
When Zelda gave me the Sailcloth, I tried [at least] 10 times before lading inside the circle and now I am having problems again [Eldin Volcano]. What's the correct motion/handling of the Wiimote? :|
1. yeah you have to kind of pendulum back and forth as your cross. Highly annoying but once you get the timing down it's reliable at least.

2. I hold the Wiimote like a fat pencil during these kinds of sections, it's much easier to lean forward enough for the game to register.

I kinda wanna kill this Mogma
in Skyview Temple now. How the hell do you find a key and then LOSE IT 20 SECONDS LATER?!
:/

That part was entirely mitigated when I remembered
that I spotted a digging hole WAYYYYYYY back when I first played that dungeon.

Also I
opened up the two shortcuts the first time so once you have the key, it's pretty much a 45-second jog to the triple Stalfos, which was a pretty tense fight.

SykoTech

I'm almost done, I guess, but I think this'll be the first console Zelda I won't bother replaying -
hero mode
or not. This would be the most infuriating game ever to replay with the design decisions made here hand-holding wise and non-stop text wise (why the FUCK do I need to keep reading your completely lame commentary on how SUPER HAPPY I must have made someone in order to make five whole Gratitude Crystals). And by hour 35, I am so done with motion controls once again. This game perfectly illustrates why I've never been satisfied with the dynamic - I don't dream of dressing up in green tights and swinging a sword around, and the game doesn't even do a particularly fine job of that anyway. I'm constantly having to recalibrate, the game does a piss poor job of doing it on the fly and otherwise the controls are basically garbage as far as I'm concerned. Thrusting is particularly frustrating - the success rate on a thrust versus, say, a swipe has to be so low it's astounding. I can thrust so hard the fucking controller practically goes through the TV, and there's STILL a super high failure rate. When I'm aiming, I'm non-stop having to re-center the goddamn cursor. There's no real camera control, so Z center or look is the only option... and so navigating in the "larger" sense is a complete fucking chore. And I refuse to use dowsing, which is the most needlessly gimmicky motion addition since, well, flapping the bird to fly - it's just adding an additional action to something that was previously streamlined and nobody complained about. Why? I've played on my Wii, my brother-in-law's Wii, my sister's Wii, I've had my brother-in-law play it, my sister play it, my friend Glenn play it... none of them can consistently get the motions to work all the time. There's always a failure rate in how the controls interpret your swing, and so it's often simply doing the wrong thing or begging to be recalibrated.

I guess your mileage may vary oh how forgiving you are in such a thing, but to me they've taken what was fairly great Zelda controls and turned them into a muddle of inconsistent actions that are neither necessary for better gameplay or put into much impressive practical use (so it's not worth the trouble, as far as i'm concerned). And don't get me started on the horrific bomb rolling shit. I thought Wii Bowling had this settled, apparently Nintendo is still going back in time and relearning how to make motion controls.

I am now ready for Wii U Zelda, content with the knowledge there's no way they can saddle the next Zelda with motion+ sword fighting. And if they do, I think it'll be the first Zelda I sit out.

Well, damn. Guess I made the right call resisting my urge to impulse buy this. Between these impressions, disappointing experiences with motion controls in the past, and the shaky demo, I just may skip it entirely.

Interesting how GAF's two most hyped games this year seem to have disappointed more than satisfied. I'm sure SS and U3 will still clean up in the GotY voting. Mass Effect 2 and Twilight Princess still managed to. Lol.

That part was entirely mitigated when I remembered
that I spotted a digging hole WAYYYYYYY back when I first played that dungeon.

Also I
opened up the two shortcuts the first time so once you have the key, it's pretty much a 45-second jog to the triple Stalfos, which was a pretty tense fight.

Bah, I've found several digging spots already, but they were all filled with hearts.

Edit: Well now. Found it right as I posted this. xD

Sagitario

Hold it up and slightly tilt it left and right in time with Link's steps, like a little metronome. You will walk across the rope without ever leaning even the slightest bit. Don't just hold it up and wait for Link to start leaning over before tilting.

Thank you :)

2. I hold the Wiimote like a fat pencil during these kinds of sections, it's much easier to lean forward enough for the game to register.

Errr... how exactly?

Red

Motion controls aren't the problem, it is the entire 3D Zelda presentation we have been subjected to. The first three Zeldas required on-your-toes reflexes and timing. Now we are given two or three goofy enemies with leopard print panties and slow as hell mind-numbing sword swipes. It was just as bad with OoT->SS.

Uncharted I've only played a bit and feel it would be better with a fixed 2D path in a 3D world than what I call "free-roaming" 3rd person. CoD and Crysis... I find 1st person, in its current form, absolutely abhorrent from a game design perspective. 1st person is like being a refrigerator with a camera on top - completely unresponsive and inherently broken. It can be fixed but I don't see anyone trying. Though I liked what was attempted with mirror's edge - its just a shame it takes talent to actually progress things like controls and game mechanics. Today's developers love to advance graphics and cutscenes instead because it requires less thinking and work on their part than to develop a solid game-play skeleton. That is why Nintendo continues to opt for minor changes in Zelda when it comes to how you actually interact with your avatar and how it interacts with the world. It is much easier to throw-in gimmicks and silly items than to nail revolutionary game mechanics. Zelda I and II did that. LoZ nailed the over-the-top 2D sword mechanics and Zelda II nailed the side-scroller sword-play (arguably can't find better to this day for either). 3D Zeldas haven't nailed anything because the combat is just way too slow and boring. the best innovation was the z-targeting and it was still lacking compared to the precision of 2D.
So, you are to the Zelda series what etiolate is to Metroid.

peakish

Finally got the game today, yay! I've gotten to the second province and really like it so far. Link is pretty agile again, climbing stuff feels great with all these leaps, love it. But I think I'll soon hate that dashing runs on stamina, that's just annoying and so far I don't see the point of it. The move itself is wonderful. Combat isn't great but good enough for now: I have had to think for a second on how to beat a few enemies like the skulltulas which has been nice, though I'm worried about if those challenges will go away as soon as I get used to this new thinking.

The first real temple was good. Not super challenging but the linking of some rooms was good and reminded me of beating similar stuff in ALTTP. A few puzzles made me stop and think for a bit which was just about never the case in WW or TP, very promising.

Other than that, the graphics are delicious, the music good and the writing way faster and better than in the last two non-DS games. Like, some of the jokes actually hit correctly this time and cutscenes are better directed.

So: Early impressions are mostly great. There's a few problems and my wrist is sore (I could take or leave most of the motion controlling stuff) but I've had a lot of fun and it seems to finally fix some stuff I've not liked about the series in the GC era. Can't wait to continue tomorrow.

fernoca

Well, damn. Guess I made the right call resisting my urge to impulse buy this. Between these impressions, disappointing experiences with motion controls in the past, and the shaky demo, I just may skip it entirely.

Interesting how GAF's two most hyped games this year seem to have disappointed more than satisfied. I'm sure SS and U3 will still clean up in the GotY voting. Mass Effect 2 and Twilight Princess still managed to. Lol.
You could try it too. Same way Amir0x and others were disappointed, many others has been surprised and consider it their favorite Zelda.

Same way some had problems with the controls, other didn't had any. Same way some hated Fi, others liked her. Same way some felt the intro took them 3 hours, others did it in under 1 hour.

Opinions should just be guides when it comes to learning about stuff; not absolute decisions.

Red

I am sitting at 6:30 played right after arriving at area 3. Done every side quest so far. Not sure why some of you are having such long play times.

fernoca

Nice spoiler-tag Electi.. :p
Though not that big of a spoiler, but yeah fight was cool and unexpected. :p

I'm at 24 hours, and in the 4th dungeon. Have done some of the side quests, but I just like exploring around and I like fighting with the sword (especially the musical notes that hit when you slash an enemy :p).

Not rushing neither; I was alternating yesterday between Skyward and Modern Warfare 3 (campaign). :p

ivysaur12

Banned
There's definitely a sense of "frontierness" - that your exploring previously uncharted territory. That's all well and good, but since Skyloft is the only "hub" to speak of, there isn't necessarily a sense of urgency to save the place since it's safe, up in the sky.

The entire narrative only really concerns a very small subset of people compared to OoT, MM, or TP. Maybe Wind Waker, but by the time you recuse Aryll, you've become emotionally attacked to Tetra and then there's the OH FUCK, IT'S HYRULE thing.

It's not bad, necessarily. I sort of like the way the game is only really focused on the fates of select characters at this point. It's just a different type of storytelling than what we're used to in a Zelda.

Anth0ny

Disagree. The loooooooong fetch quests in Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time were neat.

Okay, those ones are good. But they didn't feel like padding.

Maybe I should re-iterate: tear collecting has no place in a Zelda game.

The above examples are: Speak to NPCs, learn about them, get an item, trade with another NPC, repeat. Tear collecting is... here's a familiar place, now collect 15 of x. gogogo

AniHawk

I'm almost done, I guess, but I think this'll be the first console Zelda I won't bother replaying -
hero mode
or not. This would be the most infuriating game ever to replay with the design decisions made here hand-holding wise and non-stop text wise (why the FUCK do I need to keep reading your completely lame commentary on how SUPER HAPPY I must have made someone in order to make five whole Gratitude Crystals). And by hour 35, I am so done with motion controls once again. This game perfectly illustrates why I've never been satisfied with the dynamic - I don't dream of dressing up in green tights and swinging a sword around, and the game doesn't even do a particularly fine job of that anyway. I'm constantly having to recalibrate, the game does a piss poor job of doing it on the fly and otherwise the controls are basically garbage as far as I'm concerned. Thrusting is particularly frustrating - the success rate on a thrust versus, say, a swipe has to be so low it's astounding. I can thrust so hard the fucking controller practically goes through the TV, and there's STILL a super high failure rate. When I'm aiming, I'm non-stop having to re-center the goddamn cursor. There's no real camera control, so Z center or look is the only option... and so navigating in the "larger" sense is a complete fucking chore. And I refuse to use dowsing, which is the most needlessly gimmicky motion addition since, well, flapping the bird to fly - it's just adding an additional action to something that was previously streamlined and nobody complained about. Why? I've played on my Wii, my brother-in-law's Wii, my sister's Wii, I've had my brother-in-law play it, my sister play it, my friend Glenn play it... none of them can consistently get the motions to work all the time. There's always a failure rate in how the controls interpret your swing, and so it's often simply doing the wrong thing or begging to be recalibrated.

I guess your mileage may vary oh how forgiving you are in such a thing, but to me they've taken what was fairly great Zelda controls and turned them into a muddle of inconsistent actions that are neither necessary for better gameplay or put into much impressive practical use (so it's not worth the trouble, as far as i'm concerned). And don't get me started on the horrific bomb rolling shit. I thought Wii Bowling had this settled, apparently Nintendo is still going back in time and relearning how to make motion controls.

I am now ready for Wii U Zelda, content with the knowledge there's no way they can saddle the next Zelda with motion+ sword fighting. And if they do, I think it'll be the first Zelda I sit out.

yeah i don't know what to say. i would probably downright hate this game if i couldn't get motion controls to work. i remember being quite pissed when the wii remote was revealed and i thought it would absolutely ruin zelda. they're still the game's biggest problem as they don't work some of the time, but i've always been able to do a forward thrust and clear away most baddies without much of an issue.

the only times so far i've downright hated them were tightrope walking and swinging the rope. everything else felt like an extension of normal physical activity, but this was bullshit in particular.

ivysaur12

Banned

We've seen that game design only augmented since stealth first appeared in Zelda. For some reason or another, it looks like it's here to stay.

Nice spoiler-tag Electi.. :p
Though not that big of a spoiler, but yeah fight was cool and unexpected. :p

I'm at 24 hours, and in the 4th dungeon. Have done some of the side quests, but I just like exploring around and I like fighting with the sword (especially the musical notes that hit when you slash an enemy :p).

Not rushing neither; I was alternating yesterday between Skyward and Modern Warfare 3 (campaign). :p

Haha, it's fixed now. Internet derped out right as I was going to edit it. XP

I wouldn't exactly be disappointed if Zelda Wii U went back to normal controls, but it'd be such a step back in my opinion. I suppose the problem with motion controls is that everyone is going to have a different experience whereas pressing a button will always do the same thing. All of Amir0x's motion control complaints don't apply to me at all. I have never once had to recalibrate the controller, unless I've left it sitting for too long and the controller turned off.

Silent Realm challenges are the purest form of exploration and tension this game has to offer.

Sure, some of the dousing stuff is overwrought, but I wouldn't give up the Silent Realm for anything.

Yeah, it did suck in TP. :/

AniHawk said:
the only times so far i've downright hated them were tightrope walking and swinging the rope. everything else felt like an extension of normal physical activity, but this was bullshit in particular.

What exactly was the problem with those parts? Neither of them stood out at all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There's definitely a sense of "frontierness" - that your exploring previously uncharted territory. That's all well and good, but since Skyrim is the only "hub" to speak of, there isn't necessarily a sense of urgency to save the place since it's safe, up in the sky.

The entire narrative only really concerns a very small subset of people compared to OoT, MM, or TP. Maybe Wind Waker, but by the time you recuse Aryll, you've become emotionally attacked to Tetra and then there's the OH FUCK, IT'S HYRULE thing.

It's not bad, necessarily. I sort of like the way the game is only really focused on the fates of select characters at this point. It's just a different type of storytelling than what we're used to in a Zelda.

Haha, I keep seeing people do this.

I think aside from the hand holding, the sky is my biggest disappointment. I like skyloft, but there is just nothing up there. I found the pumpkin place and liked it, expecting more like that...nope.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
post dungeon-6 fetch quest asset-reuse hell spoilers:

I honestly cannot believe they have re-used the same areas in different configurations this many times.
I mean thats twice now each for Faron Woods and Eldin Volcano. Eldin getting the trope-iest with an escort mission and a 'lost all your shit' mission, while Faron instead just has the most boring (find all these musical notes)
. Just feels like the padding sensibilities for Power Stars from the 3D Mario's has been wholly transferred to Zelda, except in a slower rpg environment making them feel even more annoying.

For any other franchise or game, this kind of shit would have been so widely derided by reviewers that its insane looking at all the 10/10's. When the game is good, its great, but it in no way surpasses its many, MANY flaws that are dragged out far longer than the brief periods of genius to warrant perfect scoring. A severe case of a franchise hype's safety net.

StevieP

Banned
This year's title confusion claims another victim. :p

skyrimswordbxfal.png

The one time I hated the rope mechanic was
a room in Dungeon 4 where for some reason I couldn't whip over to some vines on a far wall next to a switch.

Reknoc

The above examples are: Speak to NPCs, learn about them, get an item, trade with another NPC, repeat. Tear collecting is... here's a familiar place, now collect 15 of x. gogogo

Well I'm not sure I entirely agree with that either. On paper the tears are a great idea, requiring the player's knowledge of the land to get the items without being caught. It's just a shame it ended up so easy.

Guevara

It's funny how everyone who has trouble with the motion controls complains about different problems.

I don't have any trouble with tightropes or swinging ropes like Anihawk, but I have a lot of trouble consistently hitting forward thrusts and jump attacks.

I think Nintendo's efforts with motion controls this gen are proof that no matter how much time, money and talent are poured into a game, motion controls will always alienate a sizable minority of gamers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I had no problems with swinging the rope, but I would agree that the tightrope mechanic was not properly explained with any kind of wiimote icon in the game.

Eventually, I did figure it out. It seems if you swing the wiimote left or right to correct Link's balance, as if making an attack slash snap but a bit more gently, THAT makes him shift his hips away from the direction he's starting to fall.

When I figured that out, I could cross ropes at speed without stopping.

But. It does seem as if the intuitive thing would have been to apply twisting controls to your balance when on the rope, the same method used for steering the beetle or the loftwing.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It's funny how everyone who has trouble with the motion controls complains about different problems.

I don't have any trouble with tightropes or swinging ropes like Anihawk, but I have a lot of trouble consistently hitting forward thrusts and jump attacks.

I think Nintendo's efforts with motion controls this gen are proof that no matter how much time, money and talent are poured into a game, motion controls will always alienate a sizable minority of gamers.

depends on level of accuracy, life is essentially motion control

Red

Haha, I keep seeing people do this.

I think aside from the hand holding, the sky is my biggest disappointment. I like skyloft, but there is just nothing up there. I found the pumpkin place and liked it, expecting more like that...nope.
Skyloft travel is mercifully brief. Getting from point to point usually only takes seconds, maybe a minute. Compared to Wind Waker's 8-minutes-in-a-straight-line, they are nothing at all.

Being able to speed up by diving, or boosting through rocks definitely helps alleviate tedium.

Dark Souls is the only game I can think of with an early Zelda style connected world. If the land areas of Skyward Sword weren't satellites, it might be similar. But I'm not really upset by what we got. The sky is fun to travel through.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finished the third dungeon. I liked the boss fight despite how easy he was to figure out. :)

I don't know what it is about video games but I start getting a headache after an hour or two or playing. :( This had never happened before to me.

fernoca

The tightrope stuff is actually super easy. I was expecting another Super Mario Galaxy ball-shit, but in this game is so easy to do. That "part" were you have to rush through one to collect "something", I failed that overall area at the end :)p), but I rushed through the tightrope those 3 times with no problems..and neither in the ones throughout the game.

Is just:
-Pushing the analog stick forward to move Link
-Constantly move the Wiimote like a pendulum, left to right in accord to Link steps (and the side he's going to).

Chris R

Good game for the most part. Flying took a little bit to get used to, well not flying, but the flapping of wings. Another thing that is taking a little bit of getting used to is combat. It seems like the game isn't picking up my vertical or horizontal strikes like I think it should, resulting in me just flailing around kinda wildly and quickly when surrounded by multiple enemies (like the red goblins) to defeat them easily. Also, the design of the furry elder was kinda funny (to me at least).

I do like how the shots from the slingshot have some weight to them finally, just need to get used to aiming without lockon while moving.

Just entered the
Ancient Cistern
and I love it already. Easily one of the best-looking dungeons in the entire series. dat art direction

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I really need help by someone who has beaten the game, since I'm totally stuck close to the end.

*SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY*
I am learning the different parts of the Hero's Song from the dragons. I have learned the parts from the dragons in Faron and Lanayru, but when I go to Eldin to get the last part nothing happens. I've been running around there like crazy, to see if there's somewhere new I can go, but nope. Eventually, I gave up and looked at a guide (really didn't want to do this), and it seems like you're supposed to get a cutscene where you get imprisoned or something like that when you land? Well, nothing of the sort happens for me, I just land there as usual.
Am I missing something here, or WTF is going on? Is my game broken?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The one time I hated the rope mechanic was
a room in Dungeon 4 where for some reason I couldn't whip over to some vines on a far wall next to a switch.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, I had trouble actually hitting that switch.
I tried to jump off and whip the switch in midair, but I could never get that to happen. I instead ended up Z targeting the switch when I swung close enough, fell off while still targeting so I could whip it.

Top Bottom