• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

The Lamp

Was at a friend's house playing, and his brother's smoking hot wife came out.
"What are you guys playing??"
"Zelda"
"Aww I love Zelda let me see...........why are the graphics so bad"
"Because it's the Wii"
"Can't you upgrade the graphics card or something?"
"No"
"Well that sucks"

LOL.

At the 6th dungeon, almost done. The underground sections are pretty interesting. I wish the "above ground" view was clearer though.

Just for reference, how much longer do I have? This game kicks ass.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Most people don't know this but Metroid is actually about high-stakes extreme fashion modeling.

200px-Metroid_fusion_end.jpg

Of course!

The endings make sense now.

Anth0ny

No, they specifically said that Zelda combines the action of the arcades and the experience of the RPG - not in those exact words.

Yes, they intentionally abandoned that formula to make PuzZelda because they prefer to make that kind of game - it is easier for them. they can focus on all sorts of silly crap like characters, boring story telling, and puzzles. They don't have to actually do the hard work that I described above.

Solution: Paper Zelda or New LOZ or some shit.

illadelph

Was at a friend's house playing, and his brother's smoking hot wife came out.
"What are you guys playing??"
"Zelda"
"Aww I love Zelda let me see...........why are the graphics so bad"
"Because it's the Wii"
"Can't you upgrade the graphics card or something?"
"No"
"Well that sucks"

LOL.

Chicks dig graphics cards

At the 6th dungeon, almost done. The underground sections are pretty interesting. I wish the "above ground" view was clearer though.

Just for reference, how much longer do I have? This game kicks ass.

The game goes on a bit longer than you'd think from there, though you're definitely starting to hit the tail end.

789shadow

Banned
Ok, so 2 things:

I just finished the fight with The Imprisoned, and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to play the Goddess' Song on top of Light Tower, but no matter what, nothing happens. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Also:

With the Cawlin letter sidequest, I didn't give it to the thing in the bathroom, but did the whole love side thing, and now the thing in the bathroom is gone. Is it ever coming back?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The dousing for tears of light sections kinda suck. I like exploring, but...seems kinda....I dunno... Not Good /elaine

Red

No, they specifically said that Zelda combines the action of the arcades and the experience of the RPG - not in those exact words.

Yes, they intentionally abandoned that formula to make PuzZelda because they prefer to make that kind of game - it is easier for them. they can focus on all sorts of silly crap like characters, boring story telling, and puzzles. They don't have to actually do the hard work that I described above.

What are you saying

I see the words but they mean nothing

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok, so 2 things:

I just finished the fight with The Imprisoned, and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to play the Goddess' Song on top of Light Tower, but no matter what, nothing happens. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Also:

With the Cawlin letter sidequest, I didn't give it to the thing in the bathroom, but did the whole love side thing, and now the thing in the bathroom is gone. Is it ever coming back?

Have you solved
the Windmill Puzzle yet.....?
You know, the thing that the game told you to do first before
you can play your song on the Light Tower
.......?

Second question, no. It's not important anyways, you get the same reward either way.

The dousing for tears of light sections kinda suck. I like exploring, but...seems kinda....I dunno... Not Good /elaine

Dowsing... tears of light? You mind finding the entrance to the trials...? Because on the trials themselves you cannot use Dowsing...?

Just finished the game, only died once and that was trying to get the
Hylian Shield
. Last boss was definitely fun, a bit on the easier side but still fun. Never had too much trouble and I really don't get how people are complaining about dowsing. Never really used it only until the end when I wanted to get everything. (Still missing 3 heart peices >_> to get all the hearts)

Crunched said:
What are you saying

I see the words but they mean nothing

From the Horse's Mouth...

A game that's solid gold.
This game is so special, we even packed it in gold. What's so different? It has the fast action you'd expect from an arcade hit, along with all the depth and advanced roll playing of personal computer games. The best of both worlds!
- Nintendo fan Club

The first installments of a game define its genre... Zelda is not about puzzles and never was, it is about action/RPG - PuzZelda is just a bad imitation of the real thing, these are not Zelda games anymore than the CD-i games.

are you serious

is this guy serious

That is how Zelda was created and that is how it was marketed. That is a real write-up from NOA, I didn't make it up.

Read the whole thing. all it talks about is how hard the game is and how enemies are "out to get you" and how "you have to be quick". How is PuzZelda advertised? "an epic adventure of puzzle solving" - it is marketed as an Adventure game complete with puzzles and chatting with NPCs. the latest commercial I saw actually said "Master the Sword, Solve the Battle". Solve the Battle? Yes, Zelda combat is no longer the "fast action you'd expect from an arcade hit", it has been turned into a puzzle.

I'm still doing work towards finding the 5th dungeon but I have to say the 4th dungeon is my favorite. I love the aesthetics
and I love the underworld theme. I wish there was an entire underworld area as big as the Eldin Volcano, Faron Woods, and Lanayru Desert. Also loving the Sand Sea. These later two section have given me huge Wind Waker vibes which is awesome since WW was the most aesthetically pleasing game to me and had the best atmosphere.

Ok, so 2 things:

Also:

Make sure you have
talked to Zelda's father and messed with the windmills first
. I had seen from a trailer Link playing on top of there before so I assumed that's where I was supposed to go first but it didn't work.
I also out of random messed with the windmills and pointed one towards the light tower before talking to Zelda's Father because I remembered seeing them earlier but part of the quest doesn't initiate until you talk to him so... and I hadn't read a guide or anything.

Miyamoto on ALttP:

Miyamoto: In addition to that, it has everything that’s good about an RPG. It’s interesting to hear my players bragging about how they’ve got this armor and that tunic, so they don’t take any damage. It means they’re really attached to their character. That’s why I wanted them to choose their own name. But maximum priority was put on the adventure.

Miyamoto on Puzzles in ALttp:

A puzzle game is an adventure everyone can understand. The game eventually became more and more puzzle-oriented, to the extent that there were times when I wondered if it wasn’t an adventure at all anymore. Sure enough, those were the times when I started worrying about whether a real time adventure be interesting or not. In the end I figured it would be a thrilling enough game on its own merit.
ALttP at least held onto its Action/RPG roots, but these were eventually eliminated, especially after Aonuma got ahold of it. Now, we are at the point where the entire game is a giant puzzle and there is no overworld, no action/rpg.

This is why Zelda is self-destructing, this is why it isn't selling 10 million. Turn around Nintendo.

Teknoman

From the Horse's Mouth...

The first installments of a game define its genre... Zelda is not about puzzles and never was, it is about action/RPG - PuzZelda is just a bad imitation of the real thing, these are not Zelda games anymore than the CD-i games.

So then Link to the Past was bad? And if you think its lost its action roots, Skyward sword has more action in it than any past Zelda title. You cant just breeze through any enemy aside from maybe one hit kill smaller enemies. And I dont think Zelda has ever been a million seller, at least not on release week. If anything, its a slow burn series. The sales build up momentum over time.

ridleyscott has a bulletin board on his wall with photographs connected by thumb tacks and lines of yarn about the PuzZelda Conspiracy and how being some of the most critically acclaimed and consistently commercially successful games of all time is self-destruction

Boney

Banned
ridleyscott has a bulletin board on his wall with photographs connected by thumb tacks and lines of yarn about the PuzZelda Conspiracy and how being some of the most critically acclaimed and consistently commercially successful games of all time is self-destruction

maybe he's pals with mael

And so every game has to be exactly like that.
That is what Zelda is, that is what people expect out of Zelda. When Nintendo instead gives us Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, we don't buy it. They are ditching millions and millions of customers, the people who made Zelda successful.

Its not even like these games are getting hard-work and inspiration put into them. Look at the achievement of Xenoblade's overworld - massive open-world... Zelda can't have one? It gets mediocrity of the same boring place redecorated?

Then, Nintendo won't even push the game after dude put everything he could into it? Why? Probably because they realized it out-did "Zelda".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Earth Temple in this game is pretty action-focused imo. Feels like a Mario Galaxy level, basically.

AniHawk

What exactly was the problem with those parts? Neither of them stood out at all.

i just think they're unnecessary and uninteresting, and feel like obvious 'put motion controls in here'. it slows down the first dungeon too, since it only evolves once and then stays the same every other time after the first time that you do it.

ALttP at least held onto its Action/RPG roots, but these were eventually eliminated, especially after Aonuma got ahold of it. Now, we are at the point where the entire game is a giant puzzle and there is no overworld, no action/rpg.

This is why Zelda is self-destructing, this is why it isn't selling 10 million. Turn around Nintendo.

You've got this figured out, man. You know what's up. Seriously, you should be off curing cancer and flu cells with your mega brain instead of making wide-spanning global socio-economic models about video games so simple they sound as if a charlatan made them up to try and make his opinion much more important; you're wasting time. And breed a bit along the way for the good of our species!

Miyamoto on ALttP:

Miyamoto on Puzzles in ALttp:

OoT is the best selling Zelda WW and TP is the 2nd best selling Zelda WW(it's fairly close). These comments were also made about 20 years ago so things have changed. We could quote Miyamoto and Nintendo in general on millions of obscure quotes that they have since contradicted and have worked out to their benefit.

i just think they're unnecessary and uninteresting, and feel like obvious 'put motion controls in here'. it slows down the first dungeon too, since it only evolves once and then stays the same every other time after the first time that you do it.
Yeah the Tightrope walking was BS and was really uninteresting and unwanted. Everytime I see one I get sad. The vine swinging isn't that bad other than sometimes it will decide not to accept my input to swing back and forth but that's more due to me not swinging hard enough. I also had an issue with the
minecarts
however I think the issue was that I would turn the Wiimote slightly over 90 degrees so it interpreted it as Link leaning in the opposite direction than I intended leaving me to fall of and die.

That is what Zelda is, that is what people expect out of Zelda. When Nintendo instead gives us Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, we don't buy it. They are ditching millions and millions of customers, the people who made Zelda successful.

Its not even like these games are getting hard-work and inspiration put into them. Look at the achievement of Xenoblade's overworld - massive open-world... Zelda can't have one? It gets mediocrity of the same boring place redecorated?

The majority of Zelda's history is post-OoT, and the majority of console Zelda games are 3D.

snesfreak

Banned
vlcsnap-5557284.png

zethren

Banned

Perhaps you've specified earlier on in the thread, but have you played Skyward Sword?

So then Link to the Past was bad? And if you think its lost its action roots, Skyward sword has more action in it than any past Zelda title. You cant just breeze through any enemy aside from maybe one hit kill smaller enemies. And I dont think Zelda has ever been a million seller, at least not on release week. If anything, its a slow burn series. The sales build up momentum over time.

I've already explained ALttP... SS's combat has already been outed as Puzzles. This is not real action, it is slow and mind-numbing.

It isn't about breezing through enemies. There were enemies in the early games that were one-hit eventually. In fact, one of the worst things about combat in many games is having to hit the enemy too many times. What you want is a lot of enemies all coming at you from many directions, hurling stuff about you and taking damage; but, they should only require a few hits at most. The hard part should be in actually hitting the character without getting hit, not the amount of times you hit them. Modern Ninja Gaiden is guilty of this required hit-count. the game becomes a boring, repetitive, hack n' slash, beat'em up.

Teknoman

Plenty of long time Zelda fans, myself included seem to be enjoying Skyward Sword...hell enjoyed Wind Waker. I started with LTTP, and there are alot of people who started with Ocarina of time (which was quite awhile back), and have enjoyed the games too.

The only thing most Zelda fans have complained about is that the bosses and normal enemy fights were just abit too easy, and that the main quests started to see a little samey, at least for the console Zeldas.

I've already explained ALttP... SS's combat has already been outed as Puzzles. This is not real action, it is slow and mind-numbing.

It isn't about breezing through enemies. There were enemies in the early games that were one-hit eventually. In fact, one of the worst things about combat in many games is having to hit the enemy too many times. What you want is a lot of enemies all coming at you from many directions, hurling stuff about you and taking damage; but, they should only require a few hits at most. The hard part should be in actually hitting the character without getting hit, not the amount of times you hit them. Modern Ninja Gaiden is guilty of this required hit-count. the game becomes a boring, repetitive, hack n' slash, beat'em up.

Max i've had to hit something so far is about 3 times, and Skyward Sword does throw lots of enemies at you at once at times (Bokoblin gangs in the forest). Its not really slow or mind numbing...or even puzzle like in the least bit. Most of them are common sense "Hit the open spot" fights that you would approach the same way as you would a fight in Dark or Demon's Souls, except not as punishing.The bosses...maybe, but bosses have been "lite combat puzzles" since Link to the past. and in Ninja Gaiden, there really arent many enemies you cant dispatch without 3 hits max/using the flying swallow or izuna drop unless they are a boss/mid boss.

Goal posts move all by themselves how does this happen

Having actually played Skyward Sword and fought some of the amazing bosses and minibosses that require fast reflexes and "how many times you can hit the character without getting hit," this is especially funny.

Also there's one part in there that is especially funny considering SS totally does it at several points and it's amazing.

AniHawk

zelda never sold 10 million copies. zelda was a huge seller back in the days when 5-7m copies per entry made a series a huge seller. it's stayed where it is for about 25 years.

Leeness

I know right? Who's even buying these new PuzZelda games? No one, that's who.

On my end though, I'm thoroughly enjoying my PuzZelda with its gorgeous graphics, fun sword fighting and great, charming characters and story. It's very Ghibli-esque.

I also love the feeling of figuring out a puzzle! :D

If the first Zelda and ALttP are supposed to be the way Nintendo should make Zeldas to sell more games(In your words over 10 million) than how come OoT and TP are the two highest selling Zelda titles in the franchise? As well as OoT still being one of the highest rated games on Metacritic.

Top Bottom