• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Branduil

Look at what happened to MM after OoT - only 3.36 mil. That was due to how many people did not like OoT. If they liked OoT they would have come back.

StarTrekGIF.gif

Please, don't stop now.

I like how he mentions excuses for Zelda II but doesn't mention that MM required the expansion pak to work.

This is like someone taking pride in a buzzword they invented when they called into a right-wing radio talk show.

Malstrom did call the 2008 election for McCain and implied a few months ago (before she declined to run) that Sarah Palin would probably win in 2012.

ridleyscott - Malstrom - Limbaugh confirmed?

fernoca

Even better, would be for Nintendo to have a "Wii Play" equivalent of the Motion+. Absolutely love it.
I know noone bought it and it bombed, but...

KGQ5n.jpg

In any case, darn..4th dungeon was amazing!! :O! Great look, awesome music, awesome boss...that bit at the end of it was breaking my head (about:
needing to put the statue back the way it was. I was running all over the place, looking for an extra arm or legs of the statue; when it was just ..really simple..XD
)

On my way to dungeon 5 now; darn the music is even better.

cajunator

Banned
OoT is the best selling Zelda WW and TP is the 2nd best selling Zelda WW(it's fairly close). These comments were also made about 20 years ago so things have changed. We could quote Miyamoto and Nintendo in general on millions of obscure quotes that they have since contradicted and have worked out to their benefit.

Yeah the Tightrope walking was BS and was really uninteresting and unwanted. Everytime I see one I get sad. The vine swinging isn't that bad other than sometimes it will decide not to accept my input to swing back and forth but that's more due to me not swinging hard enough. I also had an issue with the
minecarts
however I think the issue was that I would turn the Wiimote slightly over 90 degrees so it interpreted it as Link leaning in the opposite direction than I intended leaving me to fall of and die.

I LOVE the tightrope walking mechanics.
they arent difficult. Just subtly move the wiimote slightly side to side along with Link's steps. I don't even start to lose balance.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah OoT sold 7 million, but has OoT 3DS sold anywhere near that many? I think we all know what this proves.
Is Zelda shooting for irrelevance?

Let's look at the facts:

- I think the 4-5 year cycle it takes for console Zeldas to come out now is going to kill their fanbase aside from the dedicated hardcore. Does Nintendo really think fans will be willing to wait 4-5 years for mediocrity?

- OoT 3D sold far, far less than OoT did thirteen years ago. Someone in another thread said Spirit Tracks sold better.

- Skyward Sword has received an onslaught of bad press in the west. Its name carries much less weight than it did ten years ago. The game got a 75% review in a Gamestop article, Gametrailers gave it a 9.1 but the text within the review essentially said,"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU NINTENDO?".

- With recent comments like from developers, and the damage control they've presented is it safe to say that the developers at Nintendo are now completely out of tune with what players want? Have they not bothered to not watch the competition at all? And I"m not just talking about wrpgs, I'm talking more specifically about the recent renown adventure games such as Uncharted, Darksiders, even Okami and their very own Xenoblade.

- In the west, teenagers aren't being brought up on Zelda like many of us were when we were kids. Many of us grew up with Zelda. Nintendo's Miyamoto says that Final Fantasy is for everyone, but in the west - which is a sizable chunk of their sales - teens no longer are brought up on Zelda. This leaves Japan, but are teenagers really interested in Zelda in Japan these days? Someone in Japan can you post incite on this? Basically, what I'm saying is that Miyamoto says Zelda is for teenagers, but I'm not seeing the teenage audience grow much, while they continue to go down a path of non-coherent, teenybopper games that don't appeal to the people who grew up with them, thus forcing people like us to abandon them. So after that, who's left buying these games?

I truly feel that if the developers at Nintendo don't shape up the series soon, this means shorter development times, more appealing story/characters, more radical gameplay changes, I don't think see many people coming back for Zelda WiiU or 3DS. I know where I stand on that. For me it's,"Why bother?"

What do you think, gaf?

durendal

I agree with Ridleyscott on the basic premise that Zelda should return to a more streamlined experience. Skyward Sword has a lot of improvements to the combat system, but all the hand-holding and the practical elimination of the overworld has been really disappointing. They've sped up the action but slow you down everywhere else. I don't need Fi to tell me that I should do something immediately after being told by someone else to do it. It shows a real lack of faith in the player, as if we're not smart enough to figure out their game on our own. It's not even optional.

On that note, the main problem I have with Zelda at this point is that whenever an element is introduced into the series, they feel that it has to be included in every subsequent game. People complained about Navi when this whole concept was introduced in OoT, yet they still feel the need to have this forced guide character because it somehow wouldn't be a Zelda game without it.

There was an article on Kotaku a while ago about how Pokemon is marketed and how they never do away with a marketing tactic in case that was the cause of success. Instead they just add new stuff. Eventually everything gets bogged down with some stuff that actually is good and other stuff that could easily be trimmed.

Playing Link to the Past right before Skyward Sword has also contributed to this feeling. That game has almost all of the Zelda hallmarks, yet very little bloat like overly long dialog and hand-holding exposition. I think the next Zelda should go back to the basic formula and build up from there, if only to eliminate some of this bloat.

AniHawk

Is is it possible to get accurate sales totals for all console Zeldas?

I think it'd be pretty cool to see those figures.

legend of zelda - 6.51m
zelda ii: aol - 4.38m
alttp - 4.61m
la - 3.83m
oot - 7.6m
mm - 3m
ooa - 4m
oos - 4m
tww - 3.5-4m
tmc - 1.5-2m
tp - 5.84m
ph - 4.13m (last updated march 2008)
st - 2.61m (last updated march 2010)

remakes and upgrades:
ladx - 2.22m
alttp/fs - 2.0-2.5m
oot3d - 1.08m

spinoffs:
fsa - 0.6-1m
tingle's rosy rupeeland - 0.5m
link's crossbow training - 4.8m
tingle's balloon trip - 0.1m

a lot of these are old numbers. i fudged the numbers a bit on tmc, fsa, and tww, but those are probably more correct than using numbers from right after launch. for instance, there's no way tww is currently barely over 3m ww unless europe bought zero copies total.

This game rules.

It's fucking awesome.

Zelda games never cease to entertain me. I wish Zelda fans could appreciate how goddamn great this series is instead of nitpicking the hell of it. Having high standards is good, but having impossible standards is problematic.

Triton55

Is Zelda shooting for irrelevance?

Let's look at the facts:

- I think the 4-5 year cycle it takes for console Zeldas to come out now is going to kill their fanbase aside from the dedicated hardcore. Does Nintendo really think fans will be willing to wait 4-5 years for mediocrity?

- Skyward Sword has received an onslaught of bad press in the west. Its name carries much less weight than it did ten years ago. The game got a 75% review in a Gamestop article, Gametrailers gave it a 9.1 but the text within the review essentially said,"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU NINTENDO?".
Those are two awfully selective examples... The Metacritic score is 95. Your own opinions of the game aside, how is that by any stretch "mediocrity" or "an onslaught of bad press"?

Edit: NVM, didn't realize it was a joke post :p

Anth0ny

I wonder if Skyward Sword will crack the top 5 on the NPC for November. MW3 will obviously be first, Skyrim, Battlefield 3? Uncharted?

AniHawk

Completely agreed. I have actually been trying to not play in too long of periods because I want to savor it.

i'm doing the same thing. i marathoned twilight princess and it was like eating all my halloween candy in one night. i loved it while it was happening, but i didn't feel so good about it right afterward.

Yeah, I can't bring myself to ask for help on puzzles. Solving it yourself is half the fun of Zelda games, so it's odd to see so many questions.

Hmm, my 55" Panasonic can do this also. I contemplated doing it, but I decided not to at risk of increased input lag. I might try it out however, I only really gave it a 10 second test run. It's a big no-no to me for TV and movies, but I guess for videogames it could be awesome D:
Highly HIGHLY recommend doing it. The whole smooth motion thing is great for 30fps games.

Vice

It gets initial customers with LoZ and AoL. It then starts transition to PuzZelda and loses the original base only picking up enough customers to maintain the 4-6 million. All the while it does not keep customers iteration to iteration - it always picks up enough younger players to maintain it level. It should be growing as time goes on. It started with 6.5 million, it should have many of those and all the newer generations.

That Zelda was originally an Action/RPG? You should be, that post proves with Nintendo's own advertisement that was the case. Its impossible to argue with.

Zela has never been a franchise that breaks sales record on every new entry. Zelda II had a big fall off from 1. It's just a consistently good/great selling series, it's in a position where many franchises wish they could be. I don't think any series, outside of 2D Mario, has been able to constantly increase its fanbase without having a huge decline at some point.

Alright guys, I've calmed down a bit from my previous foaming outrage. I hope to enjoy the rest of the game as much as possible and mentally ignore/tolerate any irritating elements to the best of my abilities. There's no way possible I'd be able to asign a number score to this game.. so many highs, so many lows, and so much baggage and expectation.

cajunator

Banned
Am I the only one that loves the
spirit realm
. I want a bunch more of them. Hell I wish it was a bonus mode.
Imagine a Batman like challenge mode where you have a bunch of these spirit levels with time trails and leaderboards. Silent realm is like a Zelda platformer stealth game hybrid, its so much fun.

Hell no. I'm about to enter it the second time and I'm excited. I love that part of the game.

fernoca

Yeah, really like those segments. On the first one ,I died like 3 times..at the freaking end! :(
Second one , was more tense...but did it on my first. Those fucking little bastards!! >:p

I play..4-5 hours per day. But that usually translates into 1 dungeon and a bunch of running around been clueless or looking for items or bugs. There was this place pre-dungeon 5 with a bunch of ants and I was just running around with my net and hitting the floor to catch them.

Mistle

9 hours in and just entered the second dungeon. Feels like I'm going at a good pace, only get a Zelda game every 5 years so I want to make it last. I'm limiting my play times per day also to create the illusion of a longer game haha. I could play 50 hours but if it's all over in a week then it'll seem short.

That said, I haven't wasted any time. I'm always doing something, be it exploring or sidequests or chatting with NPCs. Loving the whole game so far. The sky isn't as grand as I hoped admittedly (and no day/night cycle is the great missed opportunity of 2011), but it acts as a fantastic hub and the surface areas more than make up for it.

kiryogi

Banned
Playing in
Hero Mode,
and I can already tell that this is going to be crazy.

I cant imagine how much fun that will be in later areas XD I just finished the game myself.

IMO the most emotional ending yet in the Zelda series. Seeing Impa and Fi go, Fi especially. Sad to think all the times we get the Master Sword in the future, she's just asleep forever. I hope we can see her again in the future somehow

Hylian7

Okay, a little ways past the sixth dungeon.

HOLY SHIT FARON WOODS IS FLOODED! I can't wait to see twists in Eldin Volcano and Lanayru Desert like that.

Lingitiz

I might have posted this before, but did anyone really love the 4th dungeon's boss? I just thought everything about it was awesome. Especially
using its own swords to cut off its limbs.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
5 hours and change dungeon one is down. I gotta admit it sorta feels like I just spent 5 hours completing 2 hours of content. The constant cut-scene and instructional gameplay interruptions, imprecise & inconstant motion controls, slow movement speed (stamina & ultra slow swimming speed). Plus it seems like every time I fall 'down' in a room or area the path back to where I need to be to continue is needlessly lengthy. The quest to find the
furry scrotal sack creatures
was just terrible. Tippy toe tight rope walking? Fiddly rope swinging? In Zelda?!

I'm certain given the unanimous praise things will improve. I've just got to get into the game's groove.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I might have posted this before, but did anyone really love the 4th dungeon's boss? I just thought everything about it was awesome. Especially
using its own swords to cut off its limbs.

Perfect end to a perfect dungeon.

AniHawk

What are the exact differences?

[post-endgame]
link is now a wolf-god and you use the wii remote to paint instead of use weapons. also, the story is a lot worse, but it's okay because there are constant references to japanese culture and that automatically makes the story amazing. you also can't speed up the text and it moves slow as fuck. load times have increased, and there are now loading screens between catching a bug, the animation to show you've received the bug, and getting back to the gameplay. this also happens every single time you do it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
[post end-game]
link is now a wolf-god and you use the wii remote to paint instead of use weapons. also, the story is a lot worse, but it's okay because there are constant references to japanese culture and that automatically makes the story amazing. you also can't speed up the text and it moves slow as fuck. load times have increased, and there are now loading screens between catching a bug, the animation to show you've received the bug, and getting back to the gameplay. this also happens every single time you do it.

that's bad

What are the exact differences?

You "lose hearts twice as fast" (enemies do double damage, not sure about fall damage, etc), hearts and heart flowers don't appear unless you have a Heart Medal in your pouch, Sheikah Stone has all hint movies unlocked from the start, collectibles/bugs carry over (but nothing else), Goddess Sword starts out with a fully-powered Skyward Strike (near instant charge time)

Top Bottom