• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Who is we? Plenty of long time Zelda fans, myself included seem to be enjoying Skyward Sword...hell enjoyed Wind Waker. I started with LTTP, and there are alot of people who started with Ocarina of time (which was quite awhile back), and have enjoyed the games too.
The people who started with LoZ.

If the first Zelda and ALttP are supposed to be the way Nintendo should make Zeldas to sell more games(In your words over 10 million) than how come OoT and TP are the two highest selling Zelda titles in the franchise? As well as OoT still being one of the highest rated games on Metacritic.

The vast puzzle-wing media conspiracy.

Scum

I'd sorely disappointed if a Motion+ controller is not bundle in with the WiiU. Even better, would be for Nintendo to have a "Wii Play" equivalent of the Motion+. Absolutely love it. Now,
I'm off to say "Hello!" to more Mogmas. :D

watomsk

Neo Member
Please, tell me that the game gets better after the
fucking awful fetch quest that comes after the 6th dungeon. Seriously, Nintendo, the 5th dungeon was FANTASTIC, and while the 6th dungeon was very disappointing compared to the desert it was still a bit fun.

The problem with the 5th dungeon is that it feels uninspired. The whole area is short, boring, and feels more like an extension of the 2nd dungeon than anything else. It seems like the developers found a gimmick with the Timeshift Stone and focused on the desert while rejecting everything else.

I need someone to tell me that the final hours of the game are worth it. Tell me the final dungeon and boss are amazing.
Had this game gone straight to the final dungeon right after the 6th dungeon
I would have given it a 9 or 9.5/10. Now it's looking more like a 7.5 or 8/10.

On the other hand, the controllers are amazing.

RagnarokX

The game actually deceives you into thinking it's in that area, when it's really in
the Eldin Volcano area

I was about to pull my hair out at that earlier.
The game deceives you by telling you where to look and giving you a dowsing option for it?
Plus it was there when you went to eldin the first time. You should have noticed it when you were looking for key shards.

fucking awful fetch quest that comes after the 6th dungeon. Seriously, Nintendo, the 5th dungeon was FANTASTIC, and while the 6th dungeon was very disappointing compared to the desert it was still a bit fun.

The problem with the 5th dungeon is that it feels uninspired. The whole area is short, boring, and feels more like an extension of the 2nd dungeon than anything else. It seems like the developers found a gimmick with the Timeshift Stone and focused on the desert while rejecting everything else.

I need someone to tell me that the final hours of the game are worth it. Tell me the final dungeon and boss are amazing.

The final dungeon and boss are amazing.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

The final dungeon and boss are amazing and worth it. For a puzZelda, of course.

EDIT: damn you, EmCee.

zelda never sold 10 million copies. zelda was a huge seller back in the days when 5-7m copies per entry made a series a huge seller. it's stayed where it is for about 25 years.
Ring-ding-ding. Thank you! My point exactly. Zelda has only been able to retain the same customers rather than increase its base. Because Nintendo abandoned the 6 million original owners. We'll see how SS does. Spirit Tracks bombed hard.
If the first Zelda and ALttP are supposed to be the way Nintendo should make Zeldas to sell more games(In your words over 10 million) than how come OoT and TP are the two highest selling Zelda titles in the franchise? As well as OoT still being one of the highest rated games on Metacritic.
OoT - the hype of 3D and original Zelda fans and no competition. TP - the hype of motion + GC sales. Many Hardcore fans probably bought both. Look at what happened to MM after OoT - only 3.36 mil. That was due to how many people did not like OoT. If they liked OoT they would have come back. In the case of Zelda II the sales were less than Zelda I but it still had 4.4 mil and there was a chip shortage during its outing. Zelda II was all over the news as people were driving to other states to get the game. There were no sales in Europe at this time either. there was a Zelda cartoon, Zelda cereal.... It was popular. very popular. Now it is a joke to most people, its not the cream...

The goal posts remain stationary.

Teknoman

Ring-ding-ding. Thank you! My point exactly. Zelda has only been able to retain the same customers rather than increase its base. Because Nintendo abandoned the 6 million original owners. We'll see how SS does. Spirit Tracks bombed hard.

OoT - the hype of 3D and original Zelda fans and no competition. TP - the hype of motion + GC sales. Many Hardcore fans probably bought both. Look at what happened to MM after OoT - only 3.36 mil. That was due to how many people did not like OoT. If they liked OoT they would have come back. In the case of Zelda II the sales were less than Zelda I but it still had 4.4 mil and there was a chip shortage during its outing. Zelda II was all over the news as people were driving to other states to get the game. There were no sales in Europe at this time either. there was a Zelda cartoon, Zelda cereal.... It was popular. very popular. Now it is a joke to most people, its not the cream...

The goal posts remain stationary.

No that was due to Majora's Mask time mechanic and how some people just couldnt get used to the way it was/double slow time song/other things. Fun game, sure, but that was one Zelda that definitely wasnt for all Zelda fans. I really didnt like it myself until I decided to revisit via Wii VC and actually put some time into understanding all the sidequest/ day cycle mechanics.

And its not a joke to most people in that lots of people still go into game stores proclaiming that "Nintendo is too kiddy for them, but Zelda games are still cool". Also if Zelda games retain the same customers rather than increase its base, doesnt that mean that the original fans of the first few games are still fans of the way the series is now?

What the hell am I reading.

AniHawk

the minish cap is the worst-selling entry in the series, and that was an awesome 2d game.

majora's mask wasn't a rejection of ocarina of time. majora's mask hit when there were two next-gen consoles on the market, and required an add-on to work. the wind waker sold far better than majora's mask, and twilight princess sold far better than the wind waker.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Three dungeons and a half into the game, I really, really like Fi. She has a cute design and, even if a bit Captain Obvious-esque, she always makes snide remarks and dosent afraid of anything. Plus her voice is vocaloidesque. That's charming!

I still don't get how Link couldn't
stuff the propeller into his bag of holding
. But hey, I have a new friend acquaintance!

the minish cap is the worst-selling entry in the series, and that was an awesome 2d game.

majora's mask wasn't a rejection of ocarina of time. majora's mask hit when there were two next-gen consoles on the market, and required an add-on to work. the wind waker sold far better than majora's mask, and twilight princess sold far better than the wind waker.

Those were all due to branding and marketing hype.

The cereal and cartoon on the other hand, those were due to genuine fervor in the 1980s over exciting new game design theory.

hyduK

Banned
Finished with the Earth Temple, that was...easy. I swear there was only 3-4 puzzles in the whole dungeon, and none of them that really required any thinking. In Lanayru soon, hopefully that changes with the 3rd dungeon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Miyamoto on ALttP:

Miyamoto on Puzzles in ALttp:

ALttP at least held onto its Action/RPG roots, but these were eventually eliminated, especially after Aonuma got ahold of it. Now, we are at the point where the entire game is a giant puzzle and there is no overworld, no action/rpg.

This is why Zelda is self-destructing, this is why it isn't selling 10 million. Turn around Nintendo.

Are you Sean Malstrom perchance?

Teknoman

Any tips for the landing motion? I am having some problems with it. What's the correct motion/handling of the Wiimote?

You mean the freefalling sections where you sailcloth parachute after the end? I've just been handling them like flying the bird. I guess its always best to make sure you're "centered" before trying to fall.

Tuck

Swimming controls are alright. Not great in some close quarters, but overall alright.

Dungeon 4 is great so far, though I'm stuck. Never got stuck in the DS games! Was a little simple at first, but pretty creative. The area before dungeon four was a mixed bag though.
I had no problem returning to the forest, especially because new areas were laced in. But returning to the first dungeon... can't say I appreciated that.

Flying still sucks.

Getting better at the combat. Love it. Sometimes does not register right, but pretty much works 90% of the time.

zethren

Banned

Wait...what?

How did nintendo abandon it's original owners and retain it's original base?

If the 6 million originals have been abandoned, and nintendo has failed to bring new customers, then wouldn't Zelda sales be significantly lower than what we see to be true?

Sagitario

You mean the freefalling sections where you sailcloth parachute after the end? I've just been handling them like flying the bird. I guess its always best to make sure you're "centered" before trying to fall.

Yeah. Like when you win the Wing Ceremony and Zelda push you from the top of the goddess statue. That took me several tries :\

Scum

Flying is awesome. There's also one other thing I love - using potions "on the go" without the pause. It was too much of a safe haven.

789shadow

Banned
The game deceives you by telling you where to look and giving you a dowsing option for it?
Plus it was there when you went to eldin the first time. You should have noticed it when you were looking for key shards.

No, the game deceives you by centering the camera on the green Faron Woods beacon FOREVER. And no, it is not reasonable that you should notice it there the first time, or even remember that it was there.

Just finished the game tonight..

very satisfied overall.

I do hope for less hand-holding in the future, or at least less hand holding that interrupts my gameplay to give me some "important" piece of information.

I didn't do much (hardly any) in the way of side stuff and it took me right around 40 hours.

Will play through
hero mode
sometime after I finish with batman and skyrim.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No, the game deceives you by centering the camera on the green Faron Woods beacon FOREVER. And no, it is not reasonable that you should notice it there the first time, or even remember that it was there.

I thought Fi actually said her typical "90% chance it landed near the eldin volcano region" at this part.

Wait...what?

How did nintendo abandon it's original owners and retain it's original base?

If the 6 million originals have been abandoned, and nintendo has failed to bring new customers, then wouldn't Zelda sales be significantly lower than what we see to be true?

It gets initial customers with LoZ and AoL. It then starts transition to PuzZelda and loses the original base only picking up enough customers to maintain the 4-6 million. All the while it does not keep customers iteration to iteration - it always picks up enough younger players to maintain it level. It should be growing as time goes on. It started with 6.5 million, it should have many of those and all the newer generations.

I don't know about you guys but I am totally convinced.
That Zelda was originally an Action/RPG? You should be, that post proves with Nintendo's own advertisement that was the case. Its impossible to argue with.

JoeFu

Banned
Beat the 4th dungeon earlier today and screwed around in Skyloft not sure what to do on (side quest spoilers ahead!)
the love letter thing, not sure if I should give it to the chick or give it to the toilet hand thing. Go ahead and spoil this one for me because I don't care

And yeah 4th boss fight is awesome and I love using the (item spoiler)
whip, it's just so awesome how if you flick your wrist back after whipping, it makes it snap back. Such an awesome little touch

Love the game, controls are fine and I actually love fighting everything because its fun.

Hate, hate, HATE the bug net though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i give you EXHIBIT A

GxL9o.jpg

Branduil

ALttP at least held onto its Action/RPG roots, but these were eventually eliminated, especially after Aonuma got ahold of it. Now, we are at the point where the entire game is a giant puzzle and there is no overworld, no action/rpg.

This is why Zelda is self-destructing, this is why it isn't selling 10 million. Turn around Nintendo.

soYnb.gif

The Lamp

I love how exploration-heavy this game is! And DASHING OMG IT CHANGES EVERYTHING 8D I love being able to actually kind of "platform" in this game. It makes exploring every nook and cranny fun.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Let's coin other buzzwords for series that have changed dramatically with the years!

Sonic the Racehog
Corridor Fantasy
Dragon Questcraft
Banjo-Carzooie

Top Bottom