• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Busaiku

So the Earth Temple was generally easier than the Eldin Volcano area.
However it took me like an hour to find that bombing spot on the boulder.
And then I get killed by a boulder because I wanted to switch the camera view...

Maybe I need to wear my glasses while playing...

apana

Skyward Sword is the first time I ever died from a Deku Baba. Multiple times.

I think I've only died a handful of times in this game, which is unusual for me, but yeah fighting enemies is much more exciting. I love how it feels like a real battle and the enemies are trying to get you off balance. It's a hundred times better than the boring hack and slash of old games, the battles really give you the feeling of being a young adventurer with a sword having to fight off dangerous enemies whereas before it was just going through the motions.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
[post-endgame]
link is now a wolf-god and you use the wii remote to paint instead of use weapons. also, the story is a lot worse, but it's okay because there are constant references to japanese culture and that automatically makes the story amazing. you also can't speed up the text and it moves slow as fuck. load times have increased, and there are now loading screens between catching a bug, the animation to show you've received the bug, and getting back to the gameplay. this also happens every single time you do it.

.....Is Okami really that bad?

fernoca

Skyward Sword is the first time I ever died from a Deku Baba. Multiple times.
Haha, yeah.
Though, one thing I really like of this game (well, one of many) is the different approaches you can have to defeat each enemy; if you're unsure or not very good with the sword.

For example, Deku Babas you can:
1. Use the
beetle, flying though the steam, cuts it and kills it immediately
.... or..
Throwing a bomb close to them. If they can grab it with their mouth, they do (and if others are close they all start screaming to the one with it inside..and they all explode). If it can't grab it, it continues screaming at it..until it explodes and dies.

The secret to ChuChus was so obvious I was kicking myself when I discovered it 10 hours after I should have.

Just roll a bomb into them, even the absolutely massive ones.

The secret to ChuChus was so obvious I was kicking myself when I discovered it 10 hours after I should have.

It took me until the pre 5th dungeon where there were swarms of them around me and I actually died because they were all
electric
and all those fuckers were swarming around me so it then occured to me to just kill them with a bomb. No clue why I never thought about it earlier (prob because I was more concerned about how many bombs I kept with me).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Well shit.

I do love when you get a perfect kill on them, though. Vertical slash, horizontal slash, horizontal slash to cut all the little ones up before they land.

Well shit.

I do love when you get a perfect kill on them, though. Vertical slash, horizontal slash, horizontal slash to cut all the little ones up before they land.

If you horizontal slash before they're at their smallest, they just end up regrouping because the top half just falls on the bottom half.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You "lose hearts twice as fast" (enemies do double damage, not sure about fall damage, etc), hearts and heart flowers don't appear unless you have a Heart Medal in your pouch, Sheikah Stone has all hint movies unlocked from the start, collectibles/bugs carry over (but nothing else), Goddess Sword starts out with a fully-powered Skyward Strike (near instant charge time)

Can you confirm whether heart containers will appear or not, or does Link got stuck with 6 hearts max?

If you horizontal slash before they're at their smallest, they just end up regrouping because the top half just falls on the bottom half.

It's possible to do it even with the biggest ones... if you slash fast enough.

filler

Banned

It's fucking awesome.

Zelda games never cease to entertain me. I wish Zelda fans could appreciate how goddamn great this series is instead of nitpicking the hell of it. Having high standards is good, but having impossible standards is problematic.

I think gamers these days are too nitpicky about every game that comes out. I'm not going to waste my time picking out all of the pluses and minuses of the game. Despite the changes, it's still Zelda.

PokéKong

It feels weird to compare the combat in a Zelda game to Demon's/Dark Souls, but it really does give me the same feeling. I can't just mindlessly run in and hack away, expecting it to go well. A specific strategy and quick thinking is required for just about every enemy you encounter. I've died at many a bokoblin.

I greatly appreciate this level of challenge, but am concerned for those with slower reflexes and less patience for difficulty. I part of me prefers Zelda to be as accessible as possible, to be something that can be appreciated and shared by all ages and genders. I say this because my little sister who is a huge MM and WW fan is having a lot of trouble warming up to SS.

Teknoman

5 hours and change dungeon one is down. I gotta admit it sorta feels like I just spent 5 hours completing 2 hours of content. The constant cut-scene and instructional gameplay interruptions, imprecise & inconstant motion controls, slow movement speed (stamina & ultra slow swimming speed). Plus it seems like every time I fall 'down' in a room or area the path back to where I need to be to continue is needlessly lengthy. The quest to find the
furry scrotal sack creatures
was just terrible. Tippy toe tight rope walking? Fiddly rope swinging? In Zelda?!

I'm certain given the unanimous praise things will improve. I've just got to get into the game's groove.

They arent really imprecise, just make sure you use the center function if you find yourself having any trouble balancing on a rope or fighting. The swinging didnt seem troublesome at all regardless of uncentered (just swing back/forward at the most extreme points of either swing direction).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
PokéKong;32947505 said:
It feels weird to compare the combat in a Zelda game to Demon's/Dark Souls, but it really does give me the same feeling. I can't just mindlessly run in and hack away, expecting it to go well. A specific strategy and quick thinking is required for just about every enemy you encounter. I've died at many a bokoblin.

I greatly appreciate this level of challenge, but am concerned for those with slower reflexes and less patience for difficulty. I part of me prefers Zelda to be as accessible as possible, to be something that can be appreciated and shared by all ages and genders. I say this because my little sister who is a huge MM and WW fan is having a lot of trouble warming up to SS.

Shield bash. Shield bash. Shield bash. Shield bash.

fernoca

Hahaha..
z2i4u.gif

Anyway, for the "big fat red ones";
bombs
actually scare them; so that can be used not only as an advantage to evade/escape them; but to corner them and attack them.

Teknoman

If you can manage to be fairly fast with recovery slashes after having your first deflected, you can beat bokoblin easy. Hit wherever it's blocking, then quickly attack from the opposite direction.

Also bees work great.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I want my cookie Regu-muro!! :p
psst regulus that is about ff right? and the appeal on the west thread or something
I had cookies but I ate them! :(
Oops, haha, yeah I didn't see the post title until after responding.
Or the poster's avatar for that matter :p
You need to brush up on your GAF lore, sir.
Shield bash. Shield bash. Shield bash. Shield bash.
Fuck that; I just straight run at them, spin attack, and fatal blow them in quick succession.

Maaseru

Banned
This is absolutely not true. And as I explained earlier, there's no way to make it work all the time in the sense that you always do what you want to do, because the nature of the controls means that sometimes you will accidentally swing in a way that you don't want to. And that's not the controls' fault if you are physically swinging it the wrong way.
^This!! When have you in any other game done everything you wanted to do, all the time? Did people never fall of edges, miss QTE queues, miss an attack etc etc.

In my experience I haven't had a bad time playing the game. It's been really responsive and I'm usually playing sitting down y a really awkward position and even still I get better response than I expected(also the recenter button works wonders). The most trouble I've had has been with the first sailcloth landing, but that was just bad posture on my part.

Great game, the first truly fresh Zelda since OOT, no complaints here on controls.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've only died once up to the fifth dungeon,
in the pre-3 area with those electric crab things. When you had to put the shells into the hole to open the door I kept getting electrocuted trying to line up a roll. Actually died doing this, then realized I could hit it in with my sword.

I've been on the brink of death a few times on top of this atleat. 1st boss beat at one heart, the miniboss in dungeon 4 got me to 3 hears on top of me using the hearts in the room. I was able to breeze through a no shield three heart run in Twilight Princess, so there being an actual difficulty here is great.

Pachinko

I really wish this game came out 2 weeks ago , I had holidays booked to coincide with remembrance day for a total of a week off and now instead I have to make due with a few hours of play per day.

From sunday to tuesday I managed a dungeon a night but the last 2 days I've only had about another 4 hours playtime and as anyone at this point with a copy knows- the padding between dungeon 3 and 4 is immense. I also did some subquesting which of course takes some more time.

On the plus side, I think this game will last me about 2 more weeks at my current rate of play.

I cant imagine how much fun that will be in later areas XD I just finished the game myself.

IMO the most emotional ending yet in the Zelda series. Seeing Impa and Fi go, Fi especially. Sad to think all the times we get the Master Sword in the future, she's just asleep forever. I hope we can see her again in the future somehow

Wow, you must not have played The Wind Waker.

Zekes!

What I like about SS (I'm at the end of the 5th dungeon so I feel like I can say this) is that it's a lot more competently put together, unlike Twilight Princess. TP was a very confused game; I think we all know about it's troubled development, and it definitely shows while playing it. SS feels more carefully crafted.

I hope Hidemaro Fujibayashi directs the next game as well.

What I like about SS (I'm at the end of the 5th dungeon so I feel like I can say this) is that it's a lot more competently put together, unlike Twilight Princess. TP was a very confused game; I think we all know about it's troubled development, and it definitely shows while playing it. SS feels more carefully crafted.

I hope Hidemaro Fujibayashi directs the next game as well.

I never got the sense TP was confused.

Guevara

I did, I don't recall too much about it's ending. It's just the drama and narrative is so much stronger nowadays in Zelda, and SS has it in spades.
You don't recall
stabbing Ganondorf in the fucking head after his epic monologue and all of Hyrule drowned?

Lunar15

Beat it. This is a hard game to rate, rank, or review. It's just so different. Some new things are fantastic, and some new things are weird. Honestly, I think that any time I was annoyed, it was because I expected the progression of a traditional zelda game, but this game threw a curveball. That being said, I enjoyed everything I actually did, including a lot of the later game "fetch quests" and "stealth parts". They're fun, however I understand why others do not love them. I think what might have been better was to spread them out between the temples rather than pushing them all to the end.

I think the main feeling I got from this game is that it wasn't rushed. I feel like most Zelda games since MM have this feeling of "I see that the game is trying to do THIS, but it falls just short". And we've all heard about the weird rushing problems with both TP and TWW. This game however, feels complete and full of content. Almost too much content, some would say.

Also, the story was really fantastic. In a weird sense, it gave a feeling of closure. Yes, I know it's a prequel, but learning the stories behind the world and its characters made this game feel like a solid part of the lore. Somehow this game manages to break away from much of the OOT formula that ground to a pulp in console iterations, yet at the same time it manages to feel almost MORE Zelda-y than a lot of games since then. I think it has to do with the absurd amount of references to older Zelda games, and the fact that it doesn't just lightly reference zelda lore, it makes it its own. This is what lets the game stand out from the pack, asthetically.

In short: I love this game to death. It has flaws, yes. But it tries so many different things and hits high notes in all the right places. For every one thing I was somewhat down on, five more things made me smile with delight at the freshness and creativity. This is somewhat like what Galaxy did for Mario: It revitalized the series with new concepts while somehow finding a way to reference older games in a way that it could make its own.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm... about 20 hours in and, if I'm counting correctly, I just finished the fifth dungeon
(Cistern?)

The game is good, and I liked the little reference back to Wind Waker in the boss fight
(grabbing enemy weapons)

I am getting the impression the game ends "badly" based on comments in this thread, although I can't tell if it's a story complaint or gameplay one.

Is there a meaningful "second quest" to this game, or is it basically just like Wind Waker?

I did, I don't recall too much about it's ending. It's just the drama and narrative is so much stronger nowadays in Zelda, and SS has it in spades.

In The Wind Waker I kinda felt bad for Ganondorf when all he describes his motivations behind his evil doings, which no other villain in Zelda has ever had... that, and saying goodbye to the King of Hyrule as he chooses to drown with his kingdom, tries to grab your hand but he can't reach... far more emotional that (Warning: SS spoilers ahead)
saying goodbye to the robot who realizes she might have feelings now... meh. Fi was hardly even a character in that game.

Lunar15

I am getting the impression the game ends "badly" based on comments in this thread, although I can't tell if it's a story complaint or gameplay one.

There's some fetch questing near the end that people don't love, but I personally loved it. And the ending, storywise, is pretty fantastic, I haven't heard too many people complain about that. (Although, there will always be those that will)

kiryogi

Banned
In The Wind Waker I kinda felt bad for Ganondorf when all he describes his motivations behind his evil doings, which no other villain in Zelda has ever had... that, and saying goodbye to the King of Hyrule as he chooses to drown with his kingdom, tries to grab your hand but he can't reach... far more emotional that (Warning: SS spoilers ahead)
saying goodbye to the robot who realizes she might have feelings now... meh. Fi was hardly even a character in that game.

Well it's a combination of both Fi and Impa, but I suppose for me unlike most, I actually really liked Fi. And again the idea that shes never going to wake up again (which from this point on, we've seen with the Master Sword) was pretty sad.

Koodo

Banned
The only time I've "died" so far (up to dungeon 4 now) has been with the boss of the first dungeon. I went into that with no shield.

I say "died" because I had a fairy with me so I didn't actually die. It was quite amazing though, I had forgotten about that bottled fairy.

The controls have clicked with me now and everything's great. The music and sky overworld are thus far my only disappointments (the former has felt almost generic, surprisingly).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The only time I've "died" so far (up to dungeon 4 now) has been with the boss of the first dungeon. I went into that with no shield.

I say "died" because I had a fairy with me so I didn't actually die. It was quite amazing though, I had forgotten about that bottled fairy.

The controls have clicked with me now and everything's great. The music and sky overworld are thus far my only disappointments (the former has felt almost generic).

i just started and i almost died at a bobkin

the fact that i almost died in a recent zelda game excites me

Ragnamith

I'm trying to catch up on this thread from yesterday night until now, and it's a minefield for unmarked spoilers. Kinda sucks, man.

yikes, I'm out of here.
Thought I'd have a look at this thread after finishing the third dungeon, but maybe not.
Really enjoying it so far, without spoilers and all.

Top Bottom