• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

It's 166 pages long, what do you expect? You shouldn't even come into these threads until you're finished the game if you're so worried about spoilers.
Well, I recall there being a stern warning about unmarked spoilers, and a separate thread being created specifically for that purpose. I don't think it's that crazy to expect people to show a modicum of sense in tagging their spoilers in here.

I cant believe i am "that guy" but after 5 years, the jaggies on this game got to me. I tried messing with settings and the best i could do is some blur visual option that smooths the picture. It is so bad that i am questioning how i went 250 hours in MH3 without caring, but all of a sudden now i do.

Anyway, great so far. Skyrim is preventing me from tearing this game to pieces, so instead i take everything nice and slow and take everything in in an area before i move on.

watershed

Banned
Unfortunately I just hit a part that definitely feels like "filler" to me. I'm gonna try to get through it tomorrow but I can already tell its not gonna be much fun. I'm after the 6th dungeon
about to go collecting music notes!
Maybe it shouldn't bother me so much but it felt like the game was building momentum towards something cool but instead I got this.

jarosh

Well, I recall there being a stern warning about unmarked spoilers, and a separate thread being created specifically for that purpose. I don't think it's that crazy to expect people to show a modicum of sense in tagging their spoilers in here.

i have tried time and time again to tell people to USE spoiler tags and even outlined how to properly use them and how not to. and i'm starting to feel like "old man yelling at cloud" here. y2kev warned several pages ago that people have started abandoning spoiler tags altogether and that untagged spoilers will mean instant bans in the future. but this thread is still largely unmodded, it's just not working.

i agree that in theory an OT should NOT have any untagged spoilers in it, but from experience i know that this never works, that's why i hardly ever participate in official threads. this one was an exception because i had the game early and wasn't in any danger of having things spoiled. i just feel bad for all the other people who want to discuss the game while they're playing it but continuously get stuff spoiled.

watershed

Banned
i have tried time and time again to tell people to USE spoiler tags and even outlined how to properly use them and how not to. and i'm starting to feel like "old man yelling at cloud" here. y2kev warned several pages ago that people have started abandoning spoiler tags altogether and that untagged spoilers will mean instant bans in the future. but this thread is still largely unmodded, it's just not working.

i agree that in theory an OT should NOT have any untagged spoilers in it, but from experience i know that this never works, that's why i hardly ever participate in official threads. this one was an exception because i had the game early and wasn't in any danger of having things spoiled. i just feel bad for all the other people who want to discuss the game while they're playing it but continuously get stuff spoiled.

Has this thread been that bad? I've been in and out and I haven't read any spoilers. Also now there is a spoiler thread which seems to be active. I hope people will move any spoilery discussions there.

kiryogi

Banned
So here's a fun one, during the staff roll, Yasuyuki Honne and Monolith Soft were actually mentioned in the Special Thanks. Any idea of what role they played in this?

i'm not very far, but i'm having a lot of fun with the combat so far. this has been my first experience with motion plus controls, so it blew my mind.
battling ghirahim and that stalfos has been great fun

there's a lot of magical moments too, stuff that warms the heart. i feel like it's channeling the wind waker more than anything else.

Salih

Not sure but i think i entered the 5th dungeon. The whole part to get there was amazing. It's so nice too see new gameplay mechanics after 25h of playtime. And i gotta be honest: i honestly get suprised when i get new items and stuff. love that.

Is the ship really the 5th dungeon?

AniHawk

beat dungeon 3. that sure was a lot of build up for something okay. although i'm surprised nintendo obviously read my mind for this game, so now i need a new crazy fan-made game idea they can steal for the next zelda.

also, fi hasn't been appearing for me so she can ruin all the puzzles at all. is it supposed to be really bad post dungeon 3? if not, i'm wondering if it's related to the hud choices you can make.

kiryogi

Banned
I noticed this, too, and am also curious

Good to know someone actually knows and cares about who they are. The only other person that I know called me out saying that I spoiled the ending. It's a Staff Credit for crying out loud. Regardless, Duck's the only other person I know that keeps good tabs on MLSI.

kiryogi

Banned
beat dungeon 3. that sure was a lot of build up for something okay. although i'm surprised nintendo obviously read my mind for this game, so now i need a new crazy fan-made game idea they can steal for the next zelda.

also, fi hasn't been appearing for me so she can ruin all the puzzles at all. is it supposed to be really bad post dungeon 3? if not, i'm wondering if it's related to the hud choices you can make.

She still has those moments. . .

like "Look master, here's this item, and what's blocking it" But still have to resolve it for yourself aside from that.

watershed

Banned

Fi hasn't ruined any puzzles for me at all mostly because she only states super obvious stuff I'd already figured out by the time she popped up. During the real head scratching stuff she doesn't say a peep unless you ask her and even then its mostly useless info.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

I'm post dungeon 4 and she hasn't ruined anything, she just points out new or recurring obvious as hell elements I've already figured out in silly ways, that's it.

People just truly hate having to wait for that text and pressing next, next, next apparently.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So here's a fun one, during the staff roll, Yasuyuki Honne and Monolith Soft were actually mentioned in the Special Thanks. Any idea of what role they played in this?

They had about 40+ people involved, mostly on graphics. The two planners Keiichi Ono and Koji Hayashi were the directors of Disaster and DBZ: AotS, respectively.

kiryogi

Banned
They had about 40+ people involved, mostly on graphics. The two planners Keiichi Ono and Koji Hayashi were the directors of Disaster and DBZ: AotS, respectively.

Wow, it's good to see MLSI really is that closely tied to NCL. The graphics part really makes me wonder considering their recent works. Neat!

Actually, so were these 40 folks in the Staff Roll and I just didn't realize who they were?

Yeah, Fi never ruined anything for me, the thing I hate about her is just that she keeps coming out and I have to wait for the text to go by so I could continue playing. It became so aggravating that I actually ended up yelling at the tv a few times going "SHUT UP FI I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE GAME" etc.
At times it did ruin my mood, that's for sure.

jj984jj

Wow, it's good to see MLSI really is that closely tied to NCL. The graphics part really makes me wonder considering their recent works. Neat!
Xenoblade was really beautiful apart from the characters though. So was the adventure mode in Brawl where they also did a lot graphic work.

Actually, so were these 40 folks in the Staff Roll and I just didn't realize who they were?
Yeah, there were about 40 IIRC, mostly in the design section.

kiryogi

Banned
Xenoblade was really beautiful apart from the characters though. So was the adventure mode in Brawl where they also did a lot graphic work.

Yeah, there were about 40 IIRC, mostly in the design section.

? Wha? MLSI was involved in Brawl too? Thought it was mainly a GameArts thing.

And yeah, I didn't mean it in a bad way, but it's looking like MLSI is one of Nintendos graphical powerhouses. Making me really excited about their WiiU prospects coming up.

Of course that said, MLSI was always pretty talented in general. Xenosaga/Baten Kaitos were no slouches either.

Hylian7

Unfortunately I just hit a part that definitely feels like "filler" to me. I'm gonna try to get through it tomorrow but I can already tell its not gonna be much fun. I'm after the 6th dungeon
Maybe it shouldn't bother me so much but it felt like the game was building momentum towards something cool but instead I got this.

It doesn't bother me that much.

I'm still shitting bricks that the whole Faron Woods is flooded. I really hope the desert and volcano have something like this too.

jj984jj

? Wha? MLSI was involved in Brawl too? Thought it was mainly a GameArts thing.

And yeah, I didn't mean it in a bad way, but it's looking like MLSI is one of Nintendos graphical powerhouses. Making me really excited about their WiiU prospects coming up.

Of course that said, MLSI was always pretty talented in general. Xenosaga/Baten Kaitos were no slouches either.
Brawl had like 25 companies working under Sakurai. :p

MonolithSoft's involvement was fairly big in comparison to most companies credited there and almost as big as Game Arts, and they had two planners on Brawl too. It the director and writer of Xenosaga Episode II and III, Koh Arai and Norihiko Yonesaka, and it's still the last known project we saw them on that we know they did as part of MonolithSoft. Honne was actually credited for design work on the adventure mode as well instead of just a special thanks.

squall23

UI'm after the 6th dungeon
That part kind of annoyed me as well, but the fact that I got to
SWIM FRIGGIN' EVERYWHERE
made it a whole lot tolerable for some reason.

Hylian7

I'm post dungeon 4 and she hasn't ruined anything, she just points out new or recurring obvious as hell elements I've already figured out in silly ways, that's it.

People just truly hate having to wait for that text and pressing next, next, next apparently.

Lose health, *hearts low noise*

BLINK BLINK BLINK

HEY MASTER, YOU HAVE LOW HEALTH AND SHOULD PROBABLY GO WHERE THE ENEMY ATTACKS AREN'T AND GET MORE HEALTH!

Every fucking time she does this. She hasn't ruined puzzles or anything, but this kind of shit really is annoying.

Hylian7

i'm gonna be ignoring fi in dungeons, and i'm going to ignore dowsing thanks to the advice of people here

There are some parts where you will have to use dowsing to advance any farther.

5th dungeon spoilers:
I actually liked the use of dowsing to chase down the ship.

ant1532

Banned
3 hours in. Just got to first dungeon. So far its fucking great. Love the setup (besides tutorial dumbshit), characters, and their animations. A little worried I might have spoiled the game too much though.

Can anyone who beat the game, tell me if I might not have that many suprises left based on what i know.

I've seen the boss of the second dungeon and the dungeon where you use the whip to fight the gold many-armed thing. Ive also seen the giant water tentacle boss. I saw a clip where there was one second where link was riding a giant flying whale. Ive heard the three main areas change as well and you revisit dungeons. Oh and I know about the fourth dungeon and its time changing and the desert/ocean. And last but not least I accidently saw a picture of what could be the last boss (some evil looking dude holding an evil master sword) lol. Looking back I shouldve went on a media blackout. Dont confirm if thats actually the last boss please, just try and fill me in on how much other stuff there is that will suprise me. Or how little there is... lol.

Rehynn

I also beat dungeon 3 last night. I had suspected that
the Sheikah woman was Impa
, but it was still awesome to find out.

duckroll

I just ran into a freeze bug which I can replicate over and over, and it's preventing me from progressing in the game. Wtf? Does anyone have this problem? Is there a solution?

Dungeon 5 spoiler:

At the end of the Sandship, in the Captain's quarters, I use my beetle to fly through the electric fence, and head up towards through the fan towards the Timeshift stone. The moment the beetle actually hits the stone, the game just locks up completely. I cannot even use the power button on the Wii or the Wiimote to turn it off, I have to shit the main power off to reset the system.

Help!

Ragnamith

Anybody else extremely annoyed by how it tells you you
picked up a freaking slime thingy and shows you how it's slowly added onto your item page EVERYTIME you pick one up?
Probably mentioned in this thread already though...

Also, overworld music is VERY mario galaxy 2 and that's why I don't like it. And IMO that really sucks cause overworld music is meant to be awesome :(

Controls are great, but I just keep failing the "stab" and that's very annoying when it's required.

And yeah, just being very carefull with the spoiler tags there.

kiryogi

Banned
I just ran into a freeze bug which I can replicate over and over, and it's preventing me from progressing in the game. Wtf? Does anyone have this problem? Is there a solution?

Dungeon 5 spoiler:

At the end of the Sandship, in the Captain's quarters, I use my beetle to fly through the electric fence, and head up towards through the fan towards the Timeshift stone. The moment the beetle actually hits the stone, the game just locks up completely. I cannot even use the power button on the Wii or the Wiimote to turn it off, I have to shit the main power off to reset the system.

Help!

I dont recall this
Nor that you could use the Beetle like that. Cant you Bow instead? that's all I ever recall using to hit things thru a fan.

Actually, you should never have to use the Beetle thru the electric fences. If I recall correctly, electric fences were only by passable by manipulating time so that it was in the present

kiryogi

Banned
Anybody else extremely annoyed by how it tells you you
picked up a freaking slime thingy and shows you how it's slowly added onto your item page EVERYTIME you pick one up?
Probably mentioned in this thread already though...

Also, overworld music is VERY mario galaxy 2 and that's why I don't like it. And IMO that really sucks cause overworld music is meant to be awesome :(

Controls are great, but I just keep failing the "stab" and that's very annoying when it's required.

And yeah, just being very carefull with the spoiler tags there.

Well it only tells you during every new play session. So if you left your Wii on or something then it's not as much of an issue. LOL dead wii maybe though XD

Madao

Dungeon 5 spoiler:

Help!

that's some seriously fucked up shit.
have you tried cleaning the disk and checking for no dust?
have you used the bow instead? (i forgot if you have it or not by that part)

kiryogi

Banned
that's some seriously fucked up shit.
have you tried cleaning the disk and checking for no dust?
have you used the bow instead? (i forgot if you have it or not by that part)

Captain's Quarters is basically near end dungeon, so he should have the Bow

Mistle

Just realised that Link himself constantly blinks red when low on hearts. Because the heart beeps and Fii beeps weren't enough.

Loving the game tremendously so far however. So good.

AniHawk

I also beat dungeon 3 last night. I had suspected that
the Sheikah woman was Impa
, but it was still awesome to find out.

yeah, it was a nice reveal, although most people already called it.

seems now is where the stuff from the trailers ends and the really shitty parts from the reviews start to rear their ugly heads. hopefully it's not as bad as everyone says. i think i'm gonna go fly around skyloft for a little while and do some sidequests before i get back into the thick of it though.

watershed

Banned

seems now is where the stuff from the trailers ends and the really shitty parts from the reviews start to rear their ugly heads. hopefully it's not as bad as everyone says. i think i'm gonna go fly around skyloft for a little while and do some sidequests before i get back into the thick of it though.

For me the game continued to get even more awesome after the 3rd dungeon but I did have to do some stuff that felt like un-fun filler especially towards the end of the game. Those parts are unfortunate but the majority of the stuff is still great.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got me a goddess cube in Faron Woods I can't figure out.

It's the one close to the temple entrance, there's a tightrope connecting two small chunks of land, but how do I get there? The only way I see is to get up the big tree and jump from a point there, but I don't notice an ideal jump-off point that'd get me there. Can anyone confirm you have to get up the big tree, or is there another way?

kiryogi

Banned

It's the one close to the temple entrance, there's a tightrope connecting two small chunks of land, but how do I get there? The only way I see is to get up the big tree and jump from a point there, but I don't notice an ideal jump-off point that'd get me there. Can anyone confirm you have to get up the big tree, or is there another way?

I've had trouble with that one myself

Supposedly you need to get to the top of the tree so that it's high enough that your drop becomes a sky dive. Then you can navigate your way onto it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lose health, *hearts low noise*

BLINK BLINK BLINK

HEY MASTER, YOU HAVE LOW HEALTH AND SHOULD PROBABLY GO WHERE THE ENEMY ATTACKS AREN'T AND GET MORE HEALTH!

Every fucking time she does this. She hasn't ruined puzzles or anything, but this kind of shit really is annoying.
She only does this if you press down on the D-pad. You need to call her intentionally, or else the icon blinks and that's it.

You need to
warp to the save point on the great tree, and jump down from the right spot (it's a ledge with many bats swarming).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've had trouble with that one myself

Supposedly you need to get to the top of the tree so that it's high enough that your drop becomes a sky dive. Then you can navigate your way onto it.

You need to
warp to the save point on the great tree, and jump down from the right spot (it's a ledge with many bats swarming).

I forgot there was a warp point there, saves me the climb. Thanks guys.

btw the
third silent realm
was tense. I see why some people would hate these parts, but I like em.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!

Goddamn feels good to be back, yo. So I've started the game, and am at Eldin Volcano. Some quick thoughts:

-I can't decide whether this or TP has the better first few hours. That is NOT a good sign.
-Tightrope walking controls are HORRIBLE.
-I'm playing on an SDTV and the game is horrendously jaggy. Quite possibly the jaggiest non-shovelware wii game I've ever played. I really don't know why that is, but it is.
-Really not feeling the music so far.

Hopefully it gets better.

Also, merry belated thanksgiving everyone!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

Eh. Personally the pre-dungeon four and five stuff are some of the highlights of the game for me.

duckroll

Okay, that bug was FUCKED up. I really can't believe Nintendo of all developers would let something like that slip through. There is basically the "right" way to solve the puzzle, but based on the items you have available there is definitely an ALTERNATE way to solve it from inside the room like I was trying. But if you try to solve it that way, the game simply locks up. Come on, are you seriously telling me that no one in the Super Mario Club doing QC ever tried to solve it that way? Seriously? Lulz.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, that bug was FUCKED up. I really can't believe Nintendo of all developers would let something like that slip through. There is basically the "right" way to solve the puzzle, but based on the items you have available there is definitely an ALTERNATE way to solve it from inside the room like I was trying. But if you try to solve it that way, the game simply locks up. Come on, are you seriously telling me that no one in the Super Mario Club doing QC ever tried to solve it that way? Seriously? Lulz.

Where?

You way of solving the puzzle obviously breaks the fabric of space and time.

Also dungeon 5 spoilers
The treasure room on the pirate ship was really disappointing

Top Bottom