• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Totally going to try to replicate that bug just because! Then if it doesn't lock up I'll record it just to spite!

spekkeh

Banned
Lose health, *hearts low noise*

BLINK BLINK BLINK

HEY MASTER, YOU HAVE LOW HEALTH AND SHOULD PROBABLY GO WHERE THE ENEMY ATTACKS AREN'T AND GET MORE HEALTH!

Every fucking time she does this. She hasn't ruined puzzles or anything, but this kind of shit really is annoying.

I fucking hate that hearts low noise. They made the game more difficult, with stronger enemies and less hearts lying around, but instead of beeping when you only have half a heart, it starts beeping when you have two. BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP I get it I get it BEEP BEEP BEEP stop beeping BEEP BEEP aAAAAaargh. It's like my incredibly annoying microwave that goes on beeping for way too long, only then not ending at all. Whenever it happens I now immediately mute my TV. Seriously Nintendo, you want players to mute the sound during an exciting dungeon crawl? why?!

There's more stuff that irks me, making me think that they either didn't really playtest the game, or had it playtested by meek Japanese N-tards that didn't dare speak up. Like when you misstepped on a log and drop into the water in the first temple. You can't just climb back on the floating log, but have to slowly swim all the way to the other side of the room, get out of the water, make your way through the entire room three times (because of winding stairways) only to be able to jump back on the log and proceed to the next room. Now you've already cleared the room with the log, so all this only serves to stall your time and annoy you, having to go through the same room again.

Other than that, great game and this n that.

This game makes me feel like the little kid I used to be playing Ocarina of Time. And I haven't even gone through the 4th dungeon.
Just the fact that I'll be getting SS for christmas for the first time since getting OoT for christmas back in 1998, I hope brings in the pure feeling of joy I had when I went through OoT.

Wut? Point remote at ceiling. Tilt while using analogue stick. It's a piece of piss. Honestly, some of you must have atrocious coordination.

He's probably just holding it wrong. Some people don't bother looking at the diagrams at the bottom of the screen and try to control the game their own way.

Anyway. I'm 20 hours in and I only just entered the 4th dungeon. Am I slow?

Feep

Banned
I hate when someone says they dislike a facet of the motion controls, and the fanboys jump on their shit and proclaim "you're doing it wrong".

He's probably just holding it wrong. Some people don't bother looking at the diagrams at the bottom of the screen and try to control the game their own way.
Also the same reason why even if we could have perfect 1 to 1 motion control it would never be realized in a game. Especially when it comes to sword play, as most us would utterly suck at it.

Xun

The more I play this game the more games I want like Zelda.

There's only a couple of games that give off the Zelda vibe, and it's a shame there aren't more.

duckroll

I hate when someone says they dislike a facet of the motion controls, and the fanboys jump on their shit and proclaim "you're doing it wrong".

That's a fair general comment, but in the specific case of the tightrope, it really is a case of doing it wrong. If you do it the way the game indicates, there's really nothing inaccurate about it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ah noted that Dungeon 5 will be buggable.

At least it's not as bad as the cannon room bug in TP. Game breaking bug so close to the end was fucked up.

I just entered Dungeon 5 yesterday before I called it a day. Might copy my file now so I can play through the dungeon once and then see if I can trigger the bug on my copy after I read the spoiler on the second file.

Reknoc

Okay, that bug was FUCKED up. I really can't believe Nintendo of all developers would let something like that slip through. There is basically the "right" way to solve the puzzle, but based on the items you have available there is definitely an ALTERNATE way to solve it from inside the room like I was trying. But if you try to solve it that way, the game simply locks up. Come on, are you seriously telling me that no one in the Super Mario Club doing QC ever tried to solve it that way? Seriously? Lulz.

That's what you get for trying to go against the system! Obviously you only ever use the item you got in the dungeon to solve all the puzzles!

Nicktendo86

Anyway. I'm 20 hours in and I only just entered the 4th dungeon. Am I slow?

I read on here someone mentioned a technique of actually dictating the balance yourself and constantly move the remote left and right. I've done this ever since and it hasn't failed me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's a fair general comment, but in the specific case of the tightrope, it really is a case of doing it wrong. If you do it the way the game indicates, there's really nothing inaccurate about it.

Exactly. Stuff like bomb rolling or swordplay can get very niggly at times, but if you hold the remote properly the tightrope is completely accurate. Nintendo probably should have made it clear that you have to hold the remote up, at first I was trying to flick it from side to side. It controls perfectly when you hold it the way you do for the ball rolling in Mario Galaxy.

duckroll

I just entered Dungeon 5 yesterday before I called it a day. Might copy my file now so I can play through the dungeon once and then see if I can trigger the bug on my copy after I read the spoiler on the second file.

You don't really need to duplicate a save file. The bug won't cause any save problems, it just freezes the game. I'll be interested if it doesn't freeze your game too, because I managed to replicated it twice on my system.

just beat dungeon 3. pretty awesome area, not what i was expecting at all. the boss was ridiculously easy but it was extremely fun. i found the dungeon and the monsters inside to be more dangerous than the boss itself as i used up at least 5-6 potions before i even got to the boss

i also love how the game has a nice sense of humor
you got the harp! BUT THERES NO TIME TO ADMIRE IT!
this place needs a name...yeahh...i think ill call it........................grooseland
possibly unintentional but i cant help but laugh seeing this GREAT EVIL DISASTER as a giant mouth with big white bulbous toes

just under 20 hours in. i dont want this to end :( good thing i was on a media blackout for the most part as its been more enjoyable not knowing what to expect at all

im also really liking ghirahim as the villian. hes just too fab to not like

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You don't really need to duplicate a save file. The bug won't cause any save problems, it just freezes the game. I'll be interested if it doesn't freeze your game too, because I managed to replicated it twice on my system.

The duplication is so I have a file ready to test the bug at the beginning of the dungeon. Since I haven't read the spoiler yet I have no idea where the bug occurs so it'll be easier for me to just have a save that covers the whole dungeon. It'll be a while before I can test the bug as I'm at work.

This game.

vcqo11.gif

Edit: thanks Metroid Killer. :p

well, there's a large margin of error with motion controls; it doesn't take a moron to do it wrong. so far, the motion controls work well for me, from the sword fighting to catching bugs to tightrope walking. i play right in front of the sensor bar, so that might have something to do with it; i also center it whenever possible. i just have a problem flying that damn bird, so i'm pretty sure i'm doing that wrong.

Exactly. Stuff like bomb rolling or swordplay can get very niggly at times, but if you hold the remote properly the tightrope is completely accurate. Nintendo probably should have made it clear that you have to hold the remote up, at first I was trying to flick it from side to side. It controls perfectly when you hold it the way you do for the ball rolling in Mario Galaxy.

i actually haven't tried it that way, but it still works pretty well the normal way for me. you can also sprint across the rope too.

duckroll

The duplication is so I have a file ready to test the bug at the beginning of the dungeon. Since I haven't read the spoiler yet I have no idea where the bug occurs so it'll be easier for me to just have a save that covers the whole dungeon. It'll be a while before I can test the bug as I'm at work.

The bug is in the room at the end of the dungeon.

Also a lot of people actually just outright ignore any kind of text in games wether it is story driven dialogue or intrusctions to game mechanics. Anyone saw the Wind Waker stream at the beginning of this thread? The idiot player couldn't figure out how to sail, how to use the Wind Waker item etc, he always just pressed away all text...

vcqo11.gif

Tinypic will reuse old image urls for newer uploads, resulting in that old tinypic images can become extremely nsfw (can you say doggy style gif in Mario thread!)

has anybody thrown one of those skyloft cat things off of the island? my brother talked me into it...

has anybody walked out of beetle's shop without buying anything?

Reknoc

Is it not clear? The only time the wiimote is upright on the prompt is... when you have to hold it upright.

Yaska

So my zelda arrived. Now to play it on Wii, or Dolphin. Latter makes me wait even more.... I think I'll go play it on Wii first..

Ridley327

Before turning it off last night, I found out about the actual way that you're supposed to complete the rattle sidequest hours after figuring out another way to do it. Go me, I guess!

Phenomic

Before turning it off last night, I found out about the actual way that you're supposed to complete the rattle sidequest hours after figuring out another way to do it. Go me, I guess!

Which way was that? I think I did mine way too late I wonder if there was a better way.

Ridley327

Which way was that? I think I did mine way too late I wonder if there was a better way.

The way the game wants you to do it:
Get to the top of the waterfall with the Clawshots, skydive into the bird's nest, and use the Gust Bellows to unearth it.

How I did it:
I think the quest trigger shows up after you beat the fourth dungeon, but you have all the tools you need after the third. You can use Beedle's shop to get you to the right height to use the Gust Bellows from a distance (as he passes the windmill), then you use the Beetle to pick it up and bring it back to you.

Phenomic

The way the game wants you to do it:
Get to the top of the waterfall with the Clawshots, skydive into the bird's nest, and use the Gust Bellows to unearth it.

How I did it:
I think the quest trigger shows up after you beat the fourth dungeon, but you have all the tools you need after the third. You can use Beedle's shop to get you to the right height to use the Gust Bellows from a distance (as he passes the windmill), then you use the Beetle to pick it up and bring it back to you.

That's awesome! I wish I had thought of doing that of course I did it the correct boring way.

But in the case of something like tightrope walking, you really are doing it wrong if you're having trouble. Maybe the game isn't explaining it particularly well (I don't remember the instructions), maybe it's a silly thing to add motion controls to, but there is a way to do it easily and perfectly every time and it takes almost no skill at all.

Hold the remote vertically and rock it left and right. Or rock it in the opposite direction Link is slipping when he starts to lose his balance. I think I slipped off a tightrope exactly once the very first time I got to one, and that was it.

The question going round and round here is whether control difficulties are from inherent problems with motion control or if people are "doing it wrong". I think the answer is a little from Columns A and B, depending on the situation. The entire Wii controller set-up is a bit jury-rigged, from the sensor bar to the various calibration steps, so it's hardly controversial to state that the controls can occasionally be finicky or less responsive for various reasons.

But there are times when I'm sure people just haven't gotten a feel for controls which are working perfectly. The gyroscopic controls for flying/swimming--I've seen it mentioned that people have no problem controlling the beetle but the Loftwing is a pain in the ass. These use exactly the same controls, but the beetle has almost no inertia. So it's really a matter of the player not fine-tuning their movement with the Loftwing. It's a skill issue. It works perfectly when you get the feel of it.

Kudos on finding an alternate way to get the rattle. I actually tried different ways and its one of a couple of things that I actually consulted the Shiekah Stone for in the end.

has anybody thrown one of those skyloft cat things off of the island? my brother talked me into it...

Yes, this was in fact my first response on being attacked by a remlit.
I hit it with my sword until it cowered before me, picked it up and threw it into the starry abyss. I then scoured the island for more of them and threw the rest of them off. I'm sure they're alright in Hyrule, it's from small drops where cat-like creatures are more likely to hurt themselves.

Phenomic

Kudos on finding an alternate way to get the rattle. I actually tried different ways and its one of a couple of things that I actually consulted the Shiekah Stone for in the end.

I hit it with my sword until it cowered before me, picked it up and threw it into the starry abyss. I then scoured the island for more of them and threw the rest of them off. I'm sure they're alright in Hyrule, it's from small drops where cat-like creatures are more likely to hurt themselves.

Did they actually not respawn?

Did they actually not respawn?

Yes, but not right away. If you go daytime and go back to night they come back, and if you go in and out of the houses they might as well - I can't recall. It was momentary vengeance that I tried to enact upon the whole Remlit race, but I can't claim it was all that successful. I hope they come back in future Zelda games. They are cute / evil. Much like real cats.

Davey Cakes

The question going round and round here is whether control difficulties are from inherent problems with motion control or if people are "doing it wrong". I think the answer is a little from Columns A and B, depending on the situation. The entire Wii controller set-up is a bit jury-rigged, from the sensor bar to the various calibration steps, so it's hardly controversial to state that the controls can occasionally be finicky or less responsive for various reasons.

But there are times when I'm sure people just haven't gotten a feel for controls which are working perfectly. The gyroscopic controls for flying/swimming--I've seen it mentioned that people have no problem controlling the beetle but the Loftwing is a pain in the ass. These use exactly the same controls, but the beetle has almost no inertia. So it's really a matter of the player not fine-tuning their movement with the Loftwing. It's a skill issue. It works perfectly when you get the feel of it.
It's a bit sad that people who have difficulties always call out the game for having control problems. You'd think that after Nintendo put a lot of effort into making a Zelda game the showcase of depth+motion control, people would approach with an open mind and realize that the controller is merely an extension of the player.

Sometimes it is up to the player to adjust to the game, not the other way around. Skyward Sword is a great example of this. The controls aren't perfect but they're functional and really effective at enhancing the gameplay in unexpected ways. You just have to "meet in the middle" and balance skill/adjustment with the control scheme. Approaching with an open mind leads to a satisfying experience.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

If you watch the ledge, they fly back up.

I tried that with one and it
flew back to the island by flapping its ears, so I didn't bother trying again lol.

The remlits are FRIGHTENING. I accidentally hit one into the water with my sword at night... Scary. Try it. I thought it was a bug at first. That probably is what happens
when you throw them off.

Whoops, semi-beaten.

Holy crap
they FLY back
??!?

How did I not notice? Going to have to do it again now just to see it. Its funny that the team realised that players would do it... just like they knew we would beat up on chickens and the outset island pigs!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yep... I should get new ones, these give me like, a single dungeon's worth of gameplay before depleting, after 14 hours of charging with that slow ass cheap energizer charger... But they're over a year old batteries so I guess they've diminished... I should get those eneloop people keep recommending...

Yep... I should get new ones, these give me like, a single dungeon's worth of gameplay before depleting, after 14 hours of charging with that slow ass cheap energizer charger... But they're over a year old batteries so I guess they've diminished... I should get those eneloop people keep recommending...

Yikes, yeah, you need new batteries. Actually the non-rechargeables that came with the bundle have lasted 20 hours for me so far.

Amir0x

Banned
goddamn i've never run out of so many batteries as I have this gaming season. my 360 controller has needed replacement batteries like six times this past three weeks, and I just had to replace my third set of Wii Zelda controller batteries.

Yeah, but nevertheless m+ drains batteries insanely fast.

goddamn i've never run out of so many batteries as I have this gaming season. my 360 controller has needed replacement batteries like six times this past three weeks, and I just had to replace my third set of Wii Zelda controller batteries.
You aren't using rechargeable batteries?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it normal that catching bugs is such a pain with the regular net? I feel like an idiot waggling like a madman trying to catch a bug that runs as fast as Link.

Yeah, but nevertheless m+ drains batteries insanely fast.

Really? I'm up to the part where i met the
Dragon queen
for the first time between the 3rd and 4th dungeon, and my batteries are still at 3/4. Using the ones that came with my gold Wiimote.

Is it normal that catching bugs is such a pain with the regular net? I feel like an idiot waggling like a madman trying to catch a bug that runs as fast as Link.

Really? I'm up to the part where i met the
Dragon queen
for the first time between the 3rd and 4th dungeon, and my batteries are still at 3/4. Using the ones that came with my gold Wiimote.
They're much easier to catch when you sneak up on them.

Speaking of battery issues, is there anyway to turn off Fi from pinging me every damn room because my battery is low?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hmm could be that they have improved the battery drain on the new m+ controllers, I only have the attatchments and they drain up the batteries in just 2 days' worth of playing (somewhere around 8 hours).

I dont know how much i played right now. But i'd guess around 12-15 hours if not more, but yeah... still using the same batteries that came with the Limited Edition Wiimote. If they're not at 3/4 anymore, they're at least at 2/4. Don't think i checked yesterday.

They're much easier to catch when you sneak up on them.

Speaking of battery issues, is there anyway to turn off Fi from pinging me every damn room because my battery is low?
Change batteries :(

Edit:
I dont know how much i played right now. But i'd guess around 10-12 hours, but yeah... still using the same batteries that came with the Limited Edition Wiimote. If they're not at 3/4 anymore, they're at least at 2/4. Don't think i checked yesterday.
Damn they must have infused the batteries with gold as well.

Top Bottom