• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Frillen

Beat the game. Puzzles were great in this one, but the game has some annoying parts and the motion controls still aren't quite there.

The final two boss figths were awesome, though maybe a bit easy. I only struggled a bit on the Gararhim part where you had to break his big sword. Nice ending and beautiful credits music.

Still not quite up there with the other 3D Zeldas though, but then again, I love them all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of the Wiimote, when did they start using a matte texture on the back? I haven't bought a new one since Wii Play came out.

Anth0ny

goddamn i've never run out of so many batteries as I have this gaming season. my 360 controller has needed replacement batteries like six times this past three weeks, and I just had to replace my third set of Wii Zelda controller batteries.

I'm kinda confused... I managed to finished the game in 35 hours and only had to change the batteries once. And the batteries before were already 50% drained at least.

Is duracell that godlike?

Davey Cakes

What's with you people and using batteries? I bought a charge station years ago for my two Wii remotes at the time. Since then I've gotten more Wii and Xbox360 controllers, a wireless mouse, and I've been using my GC Wavebird more often as well, and have been buying recharcheable batteries as needed. I have four Eneloop ones and four Hybrid ones and they keep a great charge. I mean, yeah it'll cost you around $10 for each set of four (though it depends on what deals you find) but it eliminates the hassle.

I don't even play that many games and I've found a lot of relief in rechargeable batteries. I imagine you guys game a lot more often so I'd advise ditching one-use batteries.

I'm kinda confused... I managed to finished the game in 35 hours and only had to change the batteries once. And the batteries before were already 50% drained at least.

Is duracell that godlike?
However, a good brand one-use battery like Duracell can go a long way. I remember it took months to use up the Duracell batteries I had in my Wavebird, but maybe that's just because the Wavebird is very efficient in terms of the actual hardware.

MutFox

Banned
Not sure if mine is weird,
but the Packed in Wiimote+ rumble feels cheaper than the regular Wiimotes I have.
(Like the motor sounds kinda "tinny")

Chao

Is it normal that catching bugs is such a pain with the regular net? I feel like an idiot waggling like a madman trying to catch a bug that runs as fast as Link.

You are not supossed to run like a madman after those bugs. I've never had a problem catching them with the regular net. You just need to sneak on them and tilt the controller to make sure they are going into the net.
The upgrade only makes it easier, you can wave it randomly and catch the bugs without too much trouble.

Garcia

I'm seriously wondering what the hell were they thinking when they decided to force the player to do stupid alternative fetch quests in order to progress further on. I'm still doing all the pre-5th stuff and I'm already getting tired of going to places that have absolutely no relevance to the story.

Yes, they're beautifully done and very challenging, but holy crap stop it already! I want more dungeons, not tiny dungeons in between the dungeons.

Anyway, still liking the game a lot. Its funny how all the optional stuff doesn't feel too tedious when compared to the obligatory
re-visits to previous locations
. It's as if they ran out of ideas and just decided to expand upon
3 themes: Water, Forest and Sand.

Am I the only one who absolutely hates this game? I haven't even beat the first dungeon yet, but I have found every aspect of the game so far deplorable. I feel like I'm on another planet or something.

goddamn i've never run out of so many batteries as I have this gaming season. my 360 controller has needed replacement batteries like six times this past three weeks, and I just had to replace my third set of Wii Zelda controller batteries.

the money youre spending on batts for the 360 controller couldve been used to buy a 360 controller that doesnt need batts.

Davey Cakes

Am I the only one who absolutely hates this game? I haven't even beat the first dungeon yet, but I have found every aspect of the game so far deplorable. I feel like I'm on another planet or something.
Yeah, you're out of this world for sure. The game has faults but it's really charming and opens up in a satisfying manner as you continue playing. Can't see how you find it deplorable; that's a strong word for a game that's widely considered to be very good, regardless of taste.

MutFox

Banned

I felt the same, until I left Skyloft.
Then it felt pretty damn awesome.

Plus, the controls started to feel instinctual after that.

Also, I'm continuing my Zelda tradition of never buying anything.
I still don't have a shield, I'll find one eventually. :p
Though the fights feel pretty epic without a shield.

I knew it would be, but the bombs are a pain in the arse.

I don't understand why people have a problem with it, so I assume some people are doing it differently than I was. Hold the remote like a joystick (vertical/upwards) and gesture it forwards / away from you for a throw (pretty much how the basketball game worked in Wii Sports Resort), hold it the opposite direction vertically before your flick to do a roll. I think it beats the old - spawn bomb - press A to pick it up - reorient with analog and press A again thing. It plays into puzzles better too, basketball hoop type targets for bombs, rolling bombs across impassable quicksand or into tunnels etc.

Sagitario

Exactly. Stuff like bomb rolling or swordplay can get very niggly at times, but if you hold the remote properly the tightrope is completely accurate. Nintendo probably should have made it clear that you have to hold the remote up, at first I was trying to flick it from side to side. It controls perfectly when you hold it the way you do for the ball rolling in Mario Galaxy.

Yep. Some of the motions need more explanation. LIKE THE DAMN LANDING. I can't get it right.
It doesn't help that this games has the laziest instruction booklet Nintendo has ever done.

m.i.s.

Banned
Yep... I should get new ones, these give me like, a single dungeon's worth of gameplay before depleting, after 14 hours of charging with that slow ass cheap energizer charger... But they're over a year old batteries so I guess they've diminished... I should get those eneloop people keep recommending...

Yeah, those energiser are rubbish. Had mine less than a year (and with low to moderate use) I only get 3 bars now no matter how long I keep it on charge. After 15 Mins it's on 2 bars and on red / empty after 2 to 3 hours.

Time for those eneloop I think.

Finished it. I was on complete media blackout. I didn't even know it was coming out until a month ago when I asked my friend "So, do you think Arkham City will be GOTY?" and he goes "No, it will probably be Zelda." I said, "What? Zelda is coming out this year?"

Just snuck up on me. And I thought it was GREAT. I mean, it's a Zelda game. It carries so many expectations, but if this WASN'T a Zelda game, people would be gushing about it, I bet. All that matters to me was if the game was fun or not. It was fun.

Anth0ny

Yep. Some of the motions need more explanation. LIKE THE DAMN LANDING. I can't get it right.
It doesn't help that this games has the laziest instruction booklet Nintendo has ever done.

why print an instruction booklet

when you can program it into the game?

JimboJones

Wow people still use 1 use batteries for anything other than tv remotes? I gave up on then when i got a gameboy color.

My rechargeable batteries lasted around 15 hours, there 2450mAh. Using a standerd wii mote with motion plus addon.

Some of the aspects can be and accuired taste.

Although there are a bunch of users with very negative views on the motion controls there are also a bunch of users who initially hated the controls until it suddenly clicked.

At least play pass the first dungeon to proclaim it's all doom and gloom.

This is a pretty good point, actually. Despite no one reading manuals anymore (booo), this was a bad game for Nintendo to jump on the shitty-manual bandwagon.

MutFox said:
Guess no one else has this issue?
Haven't noticed a difference, myself.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well 3DS games are going in that direction. The detailed manual is on the cart with only a quick reference to the controls as a physical manual; which is only a two sided piece of paper.

However the Limited Edition PAL version's manual is too thick for the case thanks to all the languages. :/

Garcia

But that mini dungeon had such a cool gimmick.

I really loved how they implemented that gimmick, but that's exactly what I mean: They could've used that very same element to expand upon the
3rd dungeon
which felt too empty. Besides, every mini-dungeon I've encountered in this game is just straight forward and easy to beat, unlike (just to mention one example) OoT's Eye of Truth mini dungeon.

The inconsistencies with the controls during freefalls and sliding make me want to pull my hair out sometimes. It's completely fucked.

awesome game though.

Sagitario

This is a pretty good point, actually. Despite no one reading manuals anymore (booo), this was a bad game for Nintendo to jump on the shitty-manual bandwagon.

Indeed. This game could have used some detailed motion explanations (with some pictures about how to hold the Wiimote, even >_>)

There is the help menu (button 2), but you can only access to specific help depending on what you're doing. For example, you can only read the landing help WHILE landing... WTF? :\

Xun

I don't understand why people have a problem with it, so I assume some people are doing it differently than I was. Hold the remote like a joystick (vertical/upwards) and gesture it forwards / away from you for a throw (pretty much how the basketball game worked in Wii Sports Resort), hold it the opposite direction vertically before your flick to do a roll. I think it beats the old - spawn bomb - press A to pick it up - reorient with analog and press A again thing. It plays into puzzles better too, basketball hoop type targets for bombs, rolling bombs across impassable quicksand or into tunnels etc.
The throws I'm fine with to an extent, it's the rolls I'm having an issue with.

One of my favorite things is to free fall and guide link around......... I wish there was more stuff built around it. Of course I'm not all the way through yet.

Sagitario

One of my favorite things is to free fall and guide link around......... I wish there was more stuff built around it. Of course I'm not all the way through yet.

Tell/explain me how you hold the Wiimote or do the motion while falling, please. I am really having problems with that... it hasn't clicked me yet :(

Jzero

The customers in the pumpkin island don't like my harp playing, it feels impossible to get it right :(

Btw i barely noticed the Gratitude Crystals look like the little things you shoot in Galaxy

Tell/explain me how you hold the Wiimote or do the motion while falling, please. I am really having problems with that... it hasn't clicked me yet :(
you have to hold it like a paper airplane. It took me for ever to figure out.

At least play pass the first dungeon to proclaim it's all doom and gloom.

I want to, but I can't beat the first boss. After randomly being able to land 2 series of blows on him, I spent the next 20 minutes unable to land another hit despite me trying everything from precise striking to random flailing.

789shadow

Banned
No, game, fuck you, I will not fight 3 fucking Stalfos. That is fucking impossible. No, fuck you game. I am going to give you a fucking 2 for this inexcusable shit. Are you fucking kidding me? You took an enemy that practically requires stunning with your shield, then ask me to fight FUCKING 3 OF THEM? Hey game, did you consider the fact that YOU CAN'T DO SHIT WHEN THE OTHER 2 DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU? How the fuck am I supposed to beat your shitty fight, huh?

Lyonaz

I want to, but I can't beat the first boss. After randomly being able to land 2 series of blows on him, I spent the next 20 minutes unable to land another hit despite me trying everything from precise striking to random flailing.

Go back to the academy and check the Sheikah Stone for tips for your fight.

JimboJones

Hold it horizontal tilt ln the direction you want to move eg tilt left to move left. Point the ir sensor to the ground to go fast. Its nearly identical to Wii sports resort free falling.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The customers in the pumpkin island don't like my harp playing, it feels impossible to get it right :(

Well, Pumm actually gives you a hint...you don't need to strum the harp all the way from side to side, but just follow the motion. A small strum works just as good as a wide strum.

Speaking of which, the Harp Segments seem to be a lot better than the Spirit Tracks Flute segments...I swear the game becomes more lenient the more you mess up.

Ugh, that thrill digger mini game has awakened my addiction for minesweeper. I just kinda hate how its more random than minesweeper, its so freaking hard to pass it without hitting a bomb. Has anyone beaten the 3 difficulties without getting bombed?

Lyonaz

No, game, fuck you, I will not fight 3 fucking Stalfos. That is fucking impossible. No, fuck you game. I am going to give you a fucking 2 for this inexcusable shit. Are you fucking kidding me? You took an enemy that practically requires stunning with your shield, then ask me to fight FUCKING 3 OF THEM? Hey game, did you consider the fact that YOU CAN'T DO SHIT WHEN THE OTHER 2 DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU? How the fuck am I supposed to beat your shitty fight, huh?

Use bombs.

Guess no one else has this issue?

you have to hold it like a paper airplane. It took me for ever to figure out.

You really don't, and in fact that feels like it's harder to rotate your wrist and left and right that way. You can hold it normally or maybe put your palm over the top of the controller.

I wonder if people are rotating the controller around the wrong axes? For flying/swimming/skydiving you never need to move the controller left/right (like sword swinging). It should stay stationary on that plane and rotate left/right, like you were turning a key, as mentioned above. And it should be tilted back and forward, not raised up and down.

But in the case of something like tightrope walking, you really are doing it wrong if you're having trouble. Maybe the game isn't explaining it particularly well (I don't remember the instructions), maybe it's a silly thing to add motion controls to, but there is a way to do it easily and perfectly every time and it takes almost no skill at all.
The game doesn't explain it properly. It tells you to twist the wiimote in the visual when you're just supposed to move it side to side.

Either way, leaving it on the stick would have been simpler. A lot of things would be simpler on the stick. Like flying and swimming and instead come off as tacked on.

I did it without using my shield once :p

Keep backing away and strafing at the same time, always keep the nearest target (release and press Z again), wait for your openings. There are tougher gauntlets to come, man up son! ;)

Top Bottom