• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

789shadow

Banned
Not sure if serious...

I think I actually successfully used a bomb in that fight, but it shouldn't be too hard to kill them off one by one. Just - you know - focus on one of them and hit them precisely.

Um, are you kidding? There are 2 others. You will not be able to hit one precisely because the other 2 DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

No, game, fuck you, I will not fight 3 fucking Stalfos. That is fucking impossible. No, fuck you game. I am going to give you a fucking 2 for this inexcusable shit. Are you fucking kidding me? You took an enemy that practically requires stunning with your shield, then ask me to fight FUCKING 3 OF THEM? Hey game, did you consider the fact that YOU CAN'T DO SHIT WHEN THE OTHER 2 DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU? How the fuck am I supposed to beat your shitty fight, huh?

I loved that fight!

I don't understand why people get angry instead of learning.

I beat them with my sword, shield, and strafing/ jumping backward. Was fun.

Didn't think to use bombs.....hope I get another chance at it :)

JimboJones

I want to, but I can't beat the first boss. After randomly being able to land 2 series of blows on him, I spent the next 20 minutes unable to land another hit despite me trying everything from precise striking to random flailing.

Is it the part where he charges at you causing you bother? That what caused me to die first time round. I had to ask fi for help, you can use your spin attack to break his charge attack.

No, game, fuck you, I will not fight 3 fucking Stalfos. That is fucking impossible. No, fuck you game. I am going to give you a fucking 2 for this inexcusable shit. Are you fucking kidding me? You took an enemy that practically requires stunning with your shield, then ask me to fight FUCKING 3 OF THEM? Hey game, did you consider the fact that YOU CAN'T DO SHIT WHEN THE OTHER 2 DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU? How the fuck am I supposed to beat your shitty fight, huh?

I haven't even been using a shield the entire game. I feel bad you're having issues with that fight. Never really thought of using bombs like other people said, I kinda tried to get in a few swipes and then retreated a bit in a circular motion. I would just attack whoever was closer then retreat. I guess the Dark Souls side of me thought that was a pretty simple fight. If they cross their swords like an X, they are ready to fuck you up so back off when they do that.

Jzero

Um, are you kidding? There are 2 others. You will not be able to hit one precisely because the other 2 DO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

The thing i did was to walk backwards and strike them while they are vulnerable, kill them one by one. It wasn't hard to beat them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I want to, but I can't beat the first boss. After randomly being able to land 2 series of blows on him, I spent the next 20 minutes unable to land another hit despite me trying everything from precise striking to random flailing.

Do what i did on my 2nd attempt : Stay close to him and hit him everytime he's about to do his charging attack, it will cancel his attempt. Hit his red orbs in the same way they are aligned, which will make them disappear, and when he's on a defending position with his sword, just attack so he can't block it.

Was much easier than my 1st attempt where i tried to keep a safe distance from him... Bad idea, couldnt avoid him when he charged me.

Completed my
first trial. Man that Silent Realm is intense, at first I thought it was going to be a boring fetch quest but it was pretty awesome and scary. The game had been pretty good up to that point, but now it feels like it's really starting to kick off.

And Groose is awesome.

789shadow

Banned
I suppose now that I had to leave the fucking temple to repair my shield (stupidest shit ever, why the fuck can shields break, it adds nothing) I guess I'll have to go through THE ENTIRE TEMPLE yet again. Because would it be too much to ask for the game to let you warp between statues in a temple? Yes.

I suppose now that I had to leave the fucking temple to repair my shield (stupidest shit ever, why the fuck can shields break, it adds nothing) I guess I'll have to go through THE ENTIRE TEMPLE yet again. Because would it be too much to ask for the game to let you warp between statues in a temple? Yes.

You can actually warp to your last point in a temple. Leave a temple and when you next fly into the area you'll see "Inside <blah blah blah>" -- that should take you to the last bird you used.

Shields are a useful defence, but they're not strictly needed. You could probably get through the entire game without using one!

edit: actually, I might be mis-remembering. If the temple has no outdoor sections, you might not be able to warp there. I did drop in on a bird statue that was right outside the big key door
in Eldin Volcano
- so I know its possible in some circumstances.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
yYou will be able to buy a shield that repairs itself later in the game.

Protip: If you get your ass handed to yourself, you may want to change your combat tactics. Usually there will always be some move that is more ffective than others.

Also having the shield break is a nice addition imo. You can't just hide behind all the time anymore, the risk of losing it makes you more aware of how you fight.

Yeah, the two step fast travel system is stupid.

Jzero

Dude i barely even use my shields, i only keep buying the better ones because they look good. If they keep breaking that means you are not even using them right.

The game doesn't explain it properly. It tells you to twist the wiimote in the visual when you're just supposed to move it side to side.

Either way, leaving it on the stick would have been simpler. A lot of things would be simpler on the stick. Like flying and swimming and instead come off as tacked on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtibfZZ2s8#t=5m49s

Maybe it's a little vague but I would not interpret that as "twist". That's a "tick tock" motion.

Garcia

Ugh, that thrill digger mini game has awakened my addiction for minesweeper. I just kinda hate how its more random than minesweeper, its so freaking hard to pass it without hitting a bomb. Has anyone beaten the 3 difficulties without getting bombed?

I've only beaten that on easy so far and was 1 hole short of beating Intermediate... I really don't think I'll be able to beat Expert, and I hope it's not holding a Heart Piece cuz' I'll go mad. lol

Once you learn to shield-bash it practically becomes indestructible, and it makes the battles much more easier.

Maybe it's a little vague but I would not interpret that as "twist". That's a "tick tock" motion.
See, that's exactly the problem. They did a poor job with the tutorial and so many people have gotten it wrong. You look at Super Mario Galaxy, you have a full square animation actually showing the motion, not any of this vagueness.

789shadow

Banned
If it seems like I'm overly angry and critical, the awful pacing between the 3rd and 4th dungeon does not have me in the mood to give this game even one inch of benefit of the doubt.

MutFox

Banned
You really don't, and in fact that feels like it's harder to rotate your wrist and left and right that way. You can hold it normally or maybe put your palm over the top of the controller.

I wonder if people are rotating the controller around the wrong axes? For flying/swimming/skydiving you never need to move the controller left/right (like sword swinging). It should stay stationary on that plane and rotate left/right, like you were turning a key, as mentioned above. And it should be tilted back and forward, not raised up and down.

My Quote you quoted was about the "tinny" sound from the rumble.
Nothing to do with motion controls. :p
The rumble also doesn't feel as nice.

Maybe this is why people were saying the controller is lighter.
They put in a lighter rumble motor that feels/sounds cheaper?

I've only beaten that on easy so far and was 1 hole short of beating Intermediate... I really don't think I'll be able to beat Expert, and I hope it's not holding a Heart Piece cuz' I'll go mad. lol

I know, ugh. I kick ass at minesweeper, but I cant stand how much more luck you need with thrill digger. The green rupee thing is good, but the fact that the other rupees, like the blue rupee can have 1 OR 2 bombs, and the red can have 3 OR 4. Its all luck at that point :/

KorrZ

Is there any reason NOT to just waggle like a maniac against the normal red goblin enemies? I swear, with how slow you have to move to make Link change his stance and slash in another direction the goblins just auto block me every fucking time. If I swing the remote around crazily like an idiot I kill them much quicker every single time.

If it seems like I'm overly angry and critical, the awful pacing between the 3rd and 4th dungeon does not have me in the mood to give this game even one inch of benefit of the doubt.
Oh well, at least from what everybody says in this thread, the 4th dungeon should be one of the absolutely high points of the game.

Is there any reason NOT to just waggle like a maniac against the normal red goblin enemies? I swear, with how slow you have to move to make Link change his stance and slash in another direction the goblins just auto block me every fucking time. If I swing the remote around crazily like an idiot I kill them much quicker every single time.

I just wait until they are about to attack then swipe the shit out of em.

Yeah, I fill that, that shit sucked ass. Fourth dungeon is AMAZING though, and the pre-fifth dungeon stuff is actually better then the fifth dungeon itself(in a good way).

Don't hit them and watch them as you move your sword around. They prepare to block and stay there for a minimum amount of time... therefore like
Ghirahim
you can telegraph to them what you're going to do and then do something else. It's particularly important later when you start fighting ones that
have electric batons that will hurt you if you strike prematurely

What the fuck? How is it even possible to struggle to hit them more often than not?

Maybe this is why people were saying the controller is lighter.
They put in a lighter rumble motor that feels/sounds cheaper?
Wouldn't surprise me. Nintendo are known for making minor hardware downgrades in order to shave off a few pennies. Rumble has been a joke in every wiimote more or less imo.

JimboJones

Guess you can if you want, you will eventually get a hit in, as long as you get one hit in to break their defence your good to go to swipe them to death.
I just wait for an opening though, it's not that hard.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So.. just got to 6th dungeon. The infamous tadpole quest was that before it? It wasn't that bad. Had some fun combat moments. Needless backtracking but it was much better than dowsing for fucking Kikwis.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Even if the sequence doesn't trigger, can you still go to
the Fire Dragon's place?

No, there's no way to
get over the lava lake in the Fire Sanctuary (or whatever that place on the summit is called).

Wait, RoadHazard, I want you to try something.

Go back to
Levias. See if you learn the whole song then.

Tried that yesterday,
he just says that I should come back when I have learned the three parts of the song from the dragons.

I'm convinced this is indeed a game-breaking bug. Everything is just like it should be at this point, except that for me that sequence never triggers. Thus, I am stuck and will have to replay the whole game to get to see the ending.

You have severely disappointed me with this one, Nintendo.

Sooo I just found this out, and maybe it's apparent to everyone else. Still, it might be useful if you're having trouble with errant swings:

It doesn't matter where your positioning is to swing your sword. No matter how Link is holding the sword, flicking your wrist left will always do a forehand swipe (right to left), flicking it right will do a backhand swipe. Same goes for up/down.

So even if you're holding the sword across Link's body (ready to do a backhand), if you flick your wrist further left Link will immediately come around with a forehand swipe. You only need to position your sword to fake out enemies. You don't need to bring it back around again for a different kind of swipe.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The 3 Stalfos fight was one of my highlight moments. Moving around, avoiding, striking, etc... had adrenaline pumping for that one.

The thing i did was to walk backwards and strike them while they are vulnerable, kill them one by one. It wasn't hard to beat them.

Same, I was close to dying but I a lot of the time did spin attacks and hit 2 or 3 of them that way. It was a little tricky but once you find a strategy it's not that hard. Also bombs work and there is actually a bomb flower there in the fighting arena.

Anth0ny

I'm guessing you've watching one of the walkthrough videos on youtube? See if you missed anything?

If so, that's pretty messed up. I definitely wouldn't be in the mood to play through the entire game again, especially with all the unskippable dialogue, cutscenes, fi...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

To be fair, the Temples are designed to allow you to create various short-cuts as you go along reducing the amount of backtracking needed to return to the place you left off at.

Also, last night I did the whole 4th Dungeon part (pre-dungeon and dungeon), and I didn't mind the backtracking too much.
The swimming segment also wasn't that troublesome.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Anyone else having a problem with their gold Wiimote plus? I'm finally getting into Skyward Sword for the first time and at the Wii menu screen oftentimes the pointer is upside down and when I lay it on a flat surface it doesn't fix the problem. OTOH, my vanilla Wiimote with the Motion Plus attachment works fine without calibration. This pisses me off, I paid an extra $20 for a useless piece of swag.

Anyone else having a problem with their gold Wiimote plus? I'm finally getting into Skyward Sword for the first time and at the Wii menu screen oftentimes the pointer is upside down and when I lay it on a flat surface it doesn't fix the problem. OTOH, my vanilla Wiimote with the Motion Plus attachment works fine without calibration. This pisses me off, I paid an extra $20 for a useless piece of swag.
If Nintendo came forward and announced that there was a defunct in some of the Wiimotes from the LE bundle, suddenly this thread would make a lot more sense :p

Indeed. I figured the problem was with the Motion Plus in general, as this is my first experience with it. There have been times where I had to angle my remote toward the ceiling for it to actually pick up the pointer on the screen. Very strange.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If Nintendo came forward and announced that there was a defunct in some of the Wiimotes from the LE bundle, suddenly this thread would make a lot more sense :p

Yeah, I also noticed that when Skyward Sword prompts you to point the Wiimote at the center of the screen and press A, the standard Wiimote and attachment is fast but with the gold one, the pointer is sluggish.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sooo I just found this out, and maybe it's apparent to everyone else. Still, it might be useful if you're having trouble with errant swings:

It doesn't matter where your positioning is to swing your sword. No matter how Link is holding the sword, flicking your wrist left will always do a forehand swipe (right to left), flicking it right will do a backhand swipe. Same goes for up/down.

So even if you're holding the sword across Link's body (ready to do a backhand), if you flick your wrist further left Link will immediately come around with a forehand swipe. You only need to position your sword to fake out enemies. You don't need to bring it back around again for a different kind of swipe.

People need to read this, yes. I think the sword trainer guy could have stood to have a tutorial on faking out guard so people didn't think they had to laboriously re-position their sword after faking an enemy out for the real strike.

Mii

Banned

I had the exact same thoughts at that point in the game my first time through. I ended up stressing over it significantly as well. However, by my second time through
in Hero Mode
, everything clicked. I wasn't hit a single time by then when I had only one heart left before entering. A few things to remember for it:

1) Backflip a fuckton. It ends up rather handy

2) Forget your shield for this particular battle. Unless you're facing Ghirahim, a Lizalfos, anything that shoots a projectile at you, or any fight similar in concept to these 3, DON'T USE YOUR SHIELD. It leads to frustration more than anything.

3) Don't think of it as focusing on one particular enemy to rid of him first. Keep backflipping in sort of a circular method until one any single one is vulnerable and do the necessary swipes on him. I think having one heart going in made me more conscious of taking a single attack and resulted in me slowing it down. It's unusual just how much slower battles need to go now (compared to what a Zelda fan is used to), but its the way to go for these sorts of battles.

Yeah, you can bomb the Stalfos, they lose their arms temporarily and you get free hits. It was easy as hell, but fun

4) Use bombs if you like. They're a little difficult to make work well in this battle if you keep moving as the enemies keep moving. I found it just lengthened the battle more than it needed to be in this case.

In general, if you don't like the sword, use bombs more, it helps take alot of the stress away. In the earlier stages of
Hero Mode where you lose double the life from a hit
, I would find vantage points to chuck bombs at everything. If I could kill an enemy with the beetle, I would. If I could stun it beforehand with the slingshot, I would. If I don't need to use the sword, I don't use the sword.

He, first boss is pretty hard without shield.

It was why I found Ghirahim so difficult my first time playing through the game (on my second right now). I was able to beat him with no fairies and no shield (mine had broken within the dungeon. The timing delay between nunchuck shake and shield bash was bizarre and a single hit from an enemy caused far too much a loss in shield life) with some crazy timing, backflipping, and strafing. I thought it was the hardest boss in a Zelda ever. I was getting beyond frustrated as none of my swipes of my sword would do as I wanted (caveat: I'm a lefty). At that point in the game I hadn't figured out how to quickly swipe certain directions. I still can't get thrust to work most of the time (Lizalfos are such a bitch). I swear the battle that I successfully rid of him took 20 minutes.

My second time through, I didn't take a single hit, had a shield ready, and wrapped him up in about 3 minutes.

I do think the battle does a poor job of making clear just what way Ghirahim is holding his fingers in the battle at the start. I think for later boss battles where swipe direction matters, the direction to swipe is much clearer.

I also had a far better control of my swipe direction. As I said though, I still can't do thrust. It is pretty clearly broken.

Ya, pacing around there sucks. Whenever you go back to Faron, you'll find pacing sucks. Faron Woods is perhaps the worst rehashed region ever in a Nintendo game (you'll see why post 6th dungeon). Once you get to the 4th Dungeon, things will be better, trust me. 4th-6th will be a nicer experience. The
Silent Realm
points, I started disliking the Faron Woods one, but the later instances are actually not bad. If that was the extent of forced collectathons in the game, my view of this game would be much higher.

So.. just got to 6th dungeon. The infamous tadpole quest was that before it? It wasn't that bad. Had some fun combat moments. Needless backtracking but it was much better than dowsing for fucking Kikwis.

Its post-6th. So no you haven't. I nearly ragequit over the stupid event.
Rehashed Stage + Underwater + Collectathon + Shitton of items to collect + the string of notes requires them to be collected all together prromptly = Nintendo's Cruel Joke on Gamers Everywhere

Top Bottom