• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

christ, the bow feels so much better and is a lot more fun to use in tp :'(
it's not just the IR that is like 100 times better than motion plus for aiming, but also the simplicity of how it controls vs. the somewhat convoluted setup in ss.

I never had any problems with the bow in SS. Point at something, press A.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Post Dungeon 6 stuff....

Eldin stealth part was awesome, loved it.

Now I finally got to the dreaded part everyone talks about... seriously... who designed this stupid shit XD!

Post Dungeon 6 stuff....

Eldin stealth part was awesome, loved it.

Now I finally got to the dreaded part everyone talks about... seriously... who designed this stupid shit XD!

_DSC4192.jpg

wrowa

Metroid Killer said:
Yeah I don't think it's fair towards the game to paint all these sections with a broad brush and call them all fetch quests/padding sections.

If we were to compare it to the backtracking criticism Metroid gets sometimes, it equals to call every time you walk through an area for the second time as negative part of the game. Eventhough something has been changed since last time you were there (new weapons, access to hidden area, new enemies, new music, environmental changes etc.).

Call a spade a spade. It's ok to complain about backtracing/fetch quests where the devs obviously haven't put much work into and the design leaves a lot to be desired, but lumping a few misses together with an entire core mechanic of a game and claiming it needs to be scrapped is indeed a bit odd...
My avatar probably shows my bias, but I agree with this. Some of the criticisms actually make me feel a little sad for the developers, because for the most part it's obvious that they put all of their heart into the design of many "fetch quests" and backtracking "issues" that some people call out strongly. I think much of the game is really being underapreciated.

For the most part, I think the backtracking is really well integrated into the game and I love the idea to find completely new areas in areas that have already been visited. It gives the areas much more a feeling of purpose and importance, than just being tubes that lead to the next dungeon.

Though, regarding the "fetch quests" I think that a lot of critcism wouldn't be so harsh if Nintendo gave better incentives to do particular things. Searching for parts of a key or whatever to open the door to a dungeon isn't a good incentive, and I can understand why many people get the feeling that the deveopers are just delaying the next part of the game by doing so, regardless of the quality of the stuff that is in between. Stuff along these lines is something the game does quite often -- I didn't care for it, because I appreciated what I was doing more than the reason why I was doing particular things, but I can relate to people who feel that what they are doing is missing a purpose and thus don't feel like they are having fun.

What's also a little frustrating is that the designers had ideas that have been great in concept, but are lacking in execution. Example: (Pre-dungeon 4 spoiler)
Revisiting temples is in theory a really promising idea, but they didn't build-up on the potential at all. I think it would have been great if by revisiting the temple we would have realized that we've only seen a small part of the temple yet -- imagine a secret door opening in the boss-room and revealing several new levels of the dungeon that are below the Earth. It would have changed the perception of the dungeon from being a very short first dungeon, to a more complex, advanced dungeon. I would have loved something like that. But instead the designers simply put some stronger enemies in the dungeon, and gave the player the worst imaginable incentive to revisit it: collect some damn water.
Another example: (Post-dungeon 6 spoiler)
The flooded woods was a cool concept too, but putting a mindless fetch-quest into it was nothing but a waste of potential. They could have made so much cool stuff with it, but decided for the laziest option. I'm actually convinced that they planned to do something else, but couldn't due to time constraints
. I also have a minor complaint regarding the pre-dungeon 5 stuff (which is still seriously awesome, though!):
This is not about wasted potential, but again more of an incentive thing; even though it's the other way around this time. The game presents you an awesome mini-game, and a cool bossfight, but then the game tells you: "Oh, sorry, what you have been searching for wasn't here after all, oops, sorry!" I guess this was supposed to be funny, but I think it was more frustrating than anything else. Even though the gameplay of what I've done was awesome, the part of the game felt meaningless afterwards, and I think this is a feeling the player shouldn't get under any circumstances while playing the game. IIRC Skyward does exactly the same thing directly afterwards yet again...

TL;DR: I absolutely love Skyward Sword, it's one of my favorite 3D Zeldas, but at times it feels like the developers had very creative and awesome ideas which they struggled to incorporate into the game in a meaningful way; and that is a goddamn shame.

To me, what defines a control method is how efficient it is in executing what the player wants (which includes simplicity and precision), and how much freedom it gives him in doing so.
I have no inherent bias towards any control method, as long as it works well and doesn't require expensive peripherals, so I can't really see how it was "forced". If anything, I'd say defining one as forced hides some bias against it (you think it's unnecessary, so you must consider it inferior somehow), whatever the control method is.
What made it awkward to me in the beginning was that swimming combines motion controls and control stick controls. When diving you use motion controls, but if you want to simply swim, you use the stick. This is also true if you want to speak with people underwater -- you need to release the A-Button and move with the stick underwater in order to be able to talk with something. That always confused me in the beginning.

Apart of that I think it worked rather fine, though I always felt that those particular controls felt a little tacked-on. But it worked.

Red

christ, the bow feels so much better and is a lot more fun to use in tp :'(
it's not just the IR that is like 100 times better than motion plus for aiming, but also the simplicity of how it controls vs. the somewhat convoluted setup in ss.
M+ works like a mouse, not a pointer. It is immensely better in my eyes.

Littleberu: Z targeting is used to keep targets in frame.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Tadpole quest was definitely shitty, but not as BAD as I expected. As soon as you got dowsing things got sightly easier and most notes were in pairs. Damn if it didn't suck though.

RPGCrazied

Gerudo Valley is the best track on the music CD, wow. Anyways, after playing Skyward Sword, I guess a Twilight Princess run is next. I've never done a no heart pickup run before, I shall challenge myself.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
An update on the game-breaking glitch:

Thanks to comments made on the video I uploaded, it's been made clear that this glitch can also occur if you do the Faron part last.

YouTube said:
I've got a very similar problem; I visited the
Eldin and Lanayru dragons
first, and now I am unable to start the next event in Faron. I've tried a number of things (landing in different locations, tying up loose side-quest ends, revisiting
the dragons
, etc) but nothing works.

YouTube said:
The same thing happened to me, except that the parts i got where from eldin and lanayru, the one i need is the one from the
water dragon

So it seems like something else entirely is triggering the glitch, which then prevents either the Faron or Eldin event from happening, depending on which one you choose to do last. Nobody has reported the glitch happening if you do Lanayru last, so maybe that's the only 100% safe way to do it?

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that the on the fly inventory management in Skyward Sword is merely the precursor to the inventory management on a Wii U Zelda title using the handheld screen on the fly.
Yea. Btw, for me the inventory management is one of those really enhanced features of this game that doesn't get mentioned enough. Nintendo did a fantastic job with it, from interface to how it doesn't pause the action.

And "climb hoping", climbing a ladder or vine in any other of the 3D zeldas feels like a chore now.
^never played OoT 3D? The same principle could apply on a Wii U Zelda.
While i agree people could easy multi task between 2 screens, your comparison its not really fair. Watching 2 tiny screens so close together in a 3DS your field of view has less of a problem keeping up than in the scenario of WiiUcon to big TV screen.
I enjoy the motion-plus aiming far more than I did the pointer.

I felt it was easier to stay on target with m+
IR pointing feels more precise and responsive but i most say im quiet impresed by how well the Gyro works in the game. Maybe Nintendo could manage to offer both types of pointing in future games since both systems has its positives and minuses.

[Nintex]

Tadpole quest was definitely shitty, but not as BAD as I expected. As soon as you got dowsing things got sightly easier and most notes were in pairs. Damn if it didn't suck though.
You mean there's some more boring than:

Pre-dungeon 6 spoiler
Carrying the water basin up to the vulcano with that stupid robot thing?

I can easily understand why people prefer IR aiming, but the gyro aiming works well for my setup. I've been moving my TV around a lot lately and not having to to make sure I have a good line of sight with the sensor bar is useful.

Aiming worked as well for me in SS as it did in TP. I really enjoyed using the bow in both games.

SS definitely had its share of successful motion controls. Skyiving was really fun, and I wish I had been able to do more of it over Hyrule (like actually skydiving to your preferred drop point instead of selecting it from a menu). Ladder hopping was a huge improvement, and swordplay was generally good.

CassSept

Thanks to comments made on the video I uploaded, it's been made clear that this glitch can also occur if you do the Faron part last.

So it seems like something else entirely is triggering the glitch, which then prevents either the Faron or Eldin event from happening, depending on which one you choose to do last. Nobody has reported the glitch happening if you do Lanayru last, so maybe that's the only 100% safe way to do it?

Ummmm they probably didn't think of
returning to Sealed Grounds to fight the Imprisoned?
I did Faron last and the game didn't glitch for me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, the speed in which you can climb ladders and vines is awesome. I just played Skies of Arcadia recently, for example, and one of my biggest complaints with that game is how slow you climb up ladders.

Also, does anyone else think the (extremely minor 3rd Dungeon Item spoiler)
Gust Bellows are awesome? Pretty much every character is given a unique animation when you spray them with air, and during the Ghirahim fight you can actually blow his hair out of his face.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Crap, i shouldnt have clicked on that link, i think i saw the last boss on one of the related video without even clicking it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
My deal with the swimming is that it doesn't make a lot of sense in the context. You still use the analog stick to run, so controlling Link's movement with only the "hands" half of the controller is stupid.
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure I agree, and that's because swimming and flying are a very different type of movement.
While running, you are moving on the XZ plane with the analog stick and aiming on the XY plane with gyro controls. Both swimming and flying are more akin to aiming on the XY plane (something you do with the gyro controls anyway) while you move in a straight line in the direction you're aiming at, on the Z axis.
So, I guess the inconsistency depends on your point of view: if you consider both as similar types of movement, you'll notice a clear disconnect and it will seem inconsistent. If you consider the latter as moving where you're aiming, you won't.

Given that it's not in Skyward Sword, I don't see why they would in a new game.
The obvious solution is the Dizasutaaaaa waggle run!

2LlNI.jpg

Please, no.

What made it awkward to me in the beginning was that swimming combines motion controls and control stick controls. When diving you use motion controls, but if you want to simply swim, you use the stick. This is also true if you want to speak with people underwater -- you need to release the A-Button and move with the stick underwater in order to be able to talk with something. That always confused me in the beginning.
This is a very good point, and I agree it's inconsistent.

Damn. I can't believe this bug was overlooked. Hope someone from around here can hook you up with a game save from that point of the game :/

IR pointing feels more precise and responsive but i most say im quiet impresed by how well the Gyro works in the game. Maybe Nintendo could manage to offer both types of pointing in future games since both systems has its positives and minuses.
This is absolutely true. Gyro aiming allowed to ignore the boundaries of your TV, but it didn't feel as fast and intuitive as IR pointing. They should really have kept both.

[Nintex];32995649 said:
You mean there's some more boring than:

Pre-dungeon 6 spoiler
Carrying the water basin up to the vulcano with that stupid robot thing?
Wait, you said you can't use the shortcut? I'm pretty sure I did.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ummmm they probably didn't think of
returning to Sealed Grounds to fight the Imprisoned?
I did Faron last and the game didn't glitch for me.

Doesn't the sequence where
Faron is flooded and you're forced to land at the sealed temple happen before you fight the Imprisoned for the third time
? That's how I remember it.

Damn. I can't believe this bug was overlooked. Hope someone from around here can hook you up with a game save from that point of the game :/

I'm trying to get a hold of a save at an appropriate point (I don't want to have to redo too much of the game), but saves are region-dependant, right? That means I'm gonna need a PAL save.

Honestly, I think if Twilight Princess had some of Skyward Sword's presentation and polish alone, we would remember it as a much better game. With Skyward Sword's animation, music, and overall polish, it's something Twilight Princess should have been five years ago. In fact, it would leave the only major problem for me being the empty fields. If they put more to do in those, it would have been a great game.

About to enter the third dungeon. Does Fi get any less hand-holding as the game goes on? Unlocking the door, where she basically just tells you the solution, was probably one of the worst offenses yet.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Honestly, I think if Twilight Princess had some of Skyward Sword's presentation and polish alone, we would remember it as a much better game. With Skyward Sword's animation, music, and overall polish, it's something Twilight Princess should have been five years ago. In fact, it would leave the only major problem for me being the empty fields. If they put more to do in those, it would have been a great game.

About to enter the third dungeon. Does Fi get any less hand-holding as the game goes on? Unlocking the door, where she basically just tells you the solution, was probably one of the worst offenses yet.
Skyward Sword's artstyle would probably have made the NPCs look a lot less offensive :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It depends...there's a part in Dungeon 5 that she spoils for some players, but others weren't spoiled by her. I didn't have her spoil the Dungeon 3 entrance for me either, but no one knows why she bothers some players more than others.

Also, dammit, that glitch is scaring me...just to be safe I'm going to do Lanayru last like you suggested. :(

Doesn't the sequence where
Faron is flooded and you're forced to land at the sealed temple happen before you fight the Imprisoned for the third time
? That's how I remember it.

No.
I had to fight The Imprisoned the second I landed in Faron Woods to get the Song of the Hero part.

I did the order for the song parts as Faron, Eldin, and Lanaryu. My Brother did Lanaryu, Faron, and then Eldin. I'm beginning to think the glitch has nothing to do with the order you get the song parts in and something else entirely.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No.
I had to fight The Imprisoned the second I landed in Faron Woods to get the Song of the Hero part.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
As you try to land in Faron Fi tells you something strange is going on, and you're forced to land at the sealed temple/grounds. You fight the Imprisoned, and then Groose launches you into the woods using the catapult. For the people having the glitch happen at the Faron part, this sequence is obviously never triggering, just like the volcano/losing your items sequence isn't triggering for me.

totowhoa

Banned

That really pissed me off because it was a pretty clever puzzle for a Zelda game too. I was pretty mad I wasn't even given a chance to even *try* to solve it. Ugh.

Ha, and right when you get to the boss door of the third dungeon with the key (and I don't remember this happening in previous dungeon) she pops out and says "master, it is only logical that we have to head through this door here to find Zelda. Let's go."

Thanks, Fi.

Red

I'm at dungeon 4. Fi hasn't appeared a single time unless I've prompted her to. Not sure where the complaints were coming from.

There haven't really been any tough puzzles so far though. Nothing that has taken multiple attempts. Maybe that's why?

ant1532

Banned

Why do you guys keep pressing down on the dpad if you hate it so much? I havent had fi tell me a single puzzle solution yet. Also at third dungeon.

Twilight Princess also had a game breaking glitch in one specific spot.

This is absolutely true. Gyro aiming allowed to ignore the boundaries of your TV, but it didn't feel as fast and intuitive as IR pointing. They should really have kept both.

The weird thing to me is that Playstation Move and Wii Remote Plus are the same minus the silly glowing ball, right? because Move works as well as normal Wii pointing to me (dependent on the game. infamous 2 has is top 5 pointer controls between the systems). I didn't think the glowing ball did that much.

I think another benefit of using IR is how seamless the calibration becomes. At least I think that's how it worked in Red Steel 2 (after you placed it on a flat surface). There were advantages to using the motion, like a larger 'bounding box' and line of sight, but maybe the implementation just needs work. I found myself pressing down on the d-pad often. It's nothing big. This is just a lot of nitpicking.

Flying feral cats at night is the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Throw one off the edge of the island.

She didn't bother me quite as often after that point. There was another spoiled puzzle in the fifth dungeon, but it appears that didn't happen to everyone. I'm not sure what triggered it (exiting and re-entering the room?).

Her habit of recapping everything the NPCs tell you and explitly directing you to the next plot destination never stops.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Twilight Princess also had a game breaking glitch in one specific spot.

Yeah, but that one was easy to avoid (you just had to make sure not to save in that specific room, I believe). Nobody has any idea what causes this one, just what the results are.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Finally got to the first dungeon. Seeing how well the 1:1 sword controls work, I really wished that Nintendo would allow Link to block using his sword, by using m+. It sucks when your shield breaks and your enemies can parry with their weapons, but you can't. This may be sacrilege, but I it'd be cool it they did away with the shield altogether and wield your sword two handed.

Come to think of it, imagine a Star Wars lightsaber game with Skyward Sword's controls (drool).

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
As you try to land in Faron Fi tells you something strange is going on, and you're forced to land at the sealed temple/grounds. You fight the Imprisoned, and then Groose launches you into the woods using the catapult. For the people having the glitch happen at the Faron part, this sequence is obviously never triggering, just like the volcano/losing your items sequence isn't triggering for me.

You're right, but the way you worded it the first time had me confused.

totowhoa

Banned
I'm at dungeon 4. Fi hasn't appeared a single time unless I've prompted her to. Not sure where the complaints were coming from.

There haven't really been any tough puzzles so far though. Nothing that has taken multiple attempts. Maybe that's why?

Hm, no, I don't think so. For that puzzle to enter dungeon three, what happened to me was:

Stuck my sword in the dial and was turning it around and trying to figure out what was going on with this mechanism. I tried pressing A once to push in but nothing happened (because I think I pressed it while it was turning between the anchor points). After turning it all the way left and right once and pressing A at some point, I decided to pull my sword out and look around/think for a second. As *soon* as I removed my sword, Fi popped out, pulled the map up, and told me to look there for the answer.

Why do you guys keep pressing down on the dpad if you hate it so much? I havent had fi tell me a single puzzle solution yet. Also at third dungeon.

I never summon Fi. This one instance is just unusual.

No one is pressing down on the d-pad. We are complaining about points where Fi interrupts, unsolicited, to give away a puzzle's solution. It seems like there is some kind of trigger in each case (e.g. making a wrong move in the dungeon 3 entrance puzzle), but without knowing the trigger beforehand it's impossible to choose whether or not Fi helps you. In both dungeons 3 and 5, I hadn't even started thinking about the puzzle when Fi interrupted.

[Nintex]

Hm, no, I don't think so. For that puzzle to enter dungeon three, what happened to me was:

Stuck my sword in the dial and was turning it around and trying to figure out what was going on with this mechanism. I tried pressing A once to push in but nothing happened (because I think I pressed it while it was turning between the anchor points). After turning it all the way left and right once and pressing A at some point, I decided to pull my sword out and look around/think for a second. As *soon* as I removed my sword, Fi popped out, pulled the map up, and told me to look there for the answer.

My face palm Fi moment was in dungeon 5...

Dungeon 5 spoilers
So you're walking around in this dungeon/ship that has timeshift stones(one of the best things in the game). You find the bow and all that and need to change time more often. So you enter this closed off room with just an opening in the ceiling so you can hit the Timeshift Stone with an arrow. I spotted the rays of light before so I already figured that it would work out that way when I entered the room. However, Fi pops up and says: "LOOK MASTER UP THERE SHOOT THERE DERP DERP *zoom* *zoom* OVER THERE AN ARROW CAN HIT IT SERIOUSLY." stupid shit that totally takes me out of the Zelda-vibe.

I thought the gyro aiming was super weird and slow at first, but I think that was just my muscle memory trying to aim like IR or something. Now I can aim just as fast as with IR, and selecting SS on the Wii menu with IR actually feels really weird and fast, lol.

This comes of as rather insulting ant. Do you think that people would be complaining this much if Fi's intrusions would have been optional? No, she takes control away from the player and pops automatically with the sugestion.

That's the reason for all the complains reagrding spoiling puzzles.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Oh god the memories...

http://files.myopera.com/memphis/albums/173633/Wiigirl01.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Hahahaha, we got some awesome GIFs from that!

[quote="ant1532, post: 32996485"]Why do you guys keep pressing down on the dpad if you hate it so much? I havent had fi tell me a single puzzle solution yet. Also at third dungeon.[/QUOTE]
You are probably less likely to notice her spoiling a puzzle if you have it all figured already. I certainly remember thinking "no shit, sherlock" multiple times after her obvious remarks, but I honestly can't remember her outright spoiling that one infamous puzzle in dungeon [spoiler]5[/spoiler]. Maybe I figured it out first and dismissed her words without even thinking about it?
Still, I found some of the tombstones lying around a bit too direct with their hints, and sometimes flat-out telling you what to do instead of being subtler and showing, for instance, a riddle.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
[Nintex];32996590 said:
That stupid robot thing says that I can't.
Unfortunately I can't try again, but I'm pretty sure I
jumped on that vertical steam current and skipped part of the level.

Red

Did you try it before finding the "things"? I didn't, maybe that's the difference? I'm not really sure.

[Nintex]

Hahahaha, we got some awesome GIFs from that!

You are probably less likely to notice her spoiling a puzzle if you have it all figured already. I certainly remember thinking "no shit, sherlock" multiple times after her obvious remarks, but I honestly can't remember her outright spoiling that one infamous puzzle in dungeon
. Maybe I figured it out first and dismissed her words without even thinking about it?
Still, I found some of the tombstones lying around a bit too direct with their hints, and sometimes flat-out telling you what to do instead of being subtler and showing, for instance, a riddle.
Those tombstones were taken straight from the DS Zelda's, which suffered from the same problem. I would skip those because most would outright tell you what to do. In this game it feels like there's a Super Guide that I'm unable to turn off :(

ant1532

Banned
This comes of as rather insulting ant. Do you think that people would be complaining this much if Fi's intrusions would have been optional? No, she takes control away from the player and pops automatically with the sugestion.

That's the reason for all the complains reagrding spoiling puzzles.
Well that's weird as fuck because she has never come out for me without me pressing down unless it's story driven or enviromental thing. and I'm 10+ hours in and she has never just told me a hint to a puzzle.

Red

Well that's weird as fuck because she has never come out for me without me pressing down unless it's story driven or enviromental thing. and I'm 10+ hours in and she has never just told me a hint to a puzzle.
Same here. The only time she intrusively appears is when telling me a boss door is a boss door.

LOL

Guy: The windmill has been sitting here uselessly ever since the propeller fell off. It's probably somewhere beneath the clouds.
*Fi pops out*
Fi: I suggest you retrieve the propeller beneath the clouds.
*Fi vanishes*

Top Bottom