• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Well that's weird as fuck because she has never come out for me without me pressing down unless it's story driven or enviromental thing. and I'm 10+ hours in and she has never just told me a hint to a puzzle.
Weird as fuck indeed, for the mayority she pops up. Are you on a game+ file by any chance?

Can the game be pulling user behaviour data from the system OS and adjusting the ingame hints acording to it? Can't think of anythen else really. Because on every instance pre dungeon 3 and 5 that i have seen she does the same thing.

totowhoa

Banned
Did you try it before finding the "things"? I didn't, maybe that's the difference? I'm not really sure.

I had found all 3 already when I first tried it, which is why the map immediately gave away the answer.

If anybody is in the desert prior to dealing with the generator after finding all 3 "things", you might consider making an alternate save for tinkering to see what triggers Fi. I wish I'd thought to do that.

bionic77

Near the end of the game. Did not like the annoying fetchquests after Dungeon 6. Especially the
one where you are swimming around for 15 minutes looking for the notes, that shit felt like something straight of a Rare game on the N64 and to me did not fit in with the rest of the game. The other quests were not bad, and in fact I really enjoyed the stealth one on the mountain

I might be doing it wrong, but the skydiving controls never work properly for me. I died a few times in one of the dungeons where you need to use them. Also, while the camera works, it was not as polished as the rest of the game.

The only other minor complaint i had was that while the art in the game is stunning, at times I wish it didn't look like a souped up PS2 game. The best example I can think of was
the boss of the sandship. I loved that entire area and the set up for the boss was fantastic, but I was disappointed in the graphics of the boss. It looked like an ugly Ursala from the little mermaid. Was hoping for something more epic after we just saw how it ripped apart the entire ship.

Minor complaints aside it really is a fantastic game.

Red

LOL

Guy: The windmill has been sitting here uselessly ever since the propeller fell off. It's probably somewhere beneath the clouds.
*Fi pops out*
Fi: I suggest you retrieve the propeller beneath the clouds.
*Fi vanishes*
I think her obvious statements are meant to be humorous. How mechanical she is all plays into that. There are a few funny bits involving her, like when the
kikwis see her and when Scrapper is mean to Link.

I think her obvious statements are meant to be humorous. How mechanical she is all plays into that. There are a few funny bits involving her, like when the
kikwis see her and when Scrapper is mean to Link.

My favorite Fi moment is in the pre-Dungeon 6 area.

*enter the inside of the volcano*
Fi: There is a 95% chance the Sacred Flame we are looking for is here. Try looking for flames.
*camera pans over pool of lava*

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
[Nintex];32995649 said:
You mean there's some more boring than:

Pre-dungeon 6 spoiler
Carrying the water basin up to the vulcano with that stupid robot thing?

Oh yes vastly worse. I enjoyed the action of that part though :p

Character: There's such and such at this location...
Fi: I recommend we go to this location.

Character: There's such and such at that location...
Fi: I recommend we go to that location.

Link enters a room.
Fi: This appears to be blah blah blah. I recommend...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm trying to get a hold of a save at an appropriate point (I don't want to have to redo too much of the game), but saves are region-dependant, right? That means I'm gonna need a PAL save.
They're probably region dependent, yeah. Hope someone can hook you up with a PAL post-dungeon 6 save.

[Nintex];32996730 said:
Those tombstones were taken straight from the DS Zelda's, which suffered from the same problem. I would skip those because most would outright tell you what to do. In this game it feels like there's a Super Guide that I'm unable to turn off :(
They sometimes have useful information though :/
I sure know I'll be ignoring them in the next Zeldas, unless I get really stuck.

Ridley327

Just beat it. I can go into more explicit details about it later, but it's the best good-to-great game that could have been a flat-out masterpiece that I've played in recent times.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Fi: There is a 95% chance the Sacred Flame we are looking for is here. Try looking for flames.
I really hope that was intentional. Which means it's probably not.

Dynedom

The
tadtone
collecting was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I finished it rather quickly.

My controller refusing to slash properly during the second
Griharim
fight was rage-inducing. I thought maybe I was slashing too hard so on my third try, I tested to see if the wii-mote was tracking simple movements (i.e. holding my sword in different directions). Nope. Had to keep re-calibrating on the fly somehow until Link started mimicking me again. Fantastic design I tell you. Made me a firm believer in motion controls!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The
tadtone
collecting was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I finished it rather quickly.

My controller refusing to slash properly during the second
Griharim
fight was rage-inducing. I thought maybe I was slashing too hard so on my third try, I tested to see if the wii-mote was tracking simple movements (i.e. holding my sword in different directions). Nope. Had to keep re-calibrating on the fly somehow until Link started mimicking me again. Fantastic design I tell you. Made me a firm believer in motion controls!

I rage whenever somehow shield bash doesn't come out. For no reason. At. ALL.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I do not understand this Fi disparity. She absolutely has interrupted me while playing...not to spoil a dungeon or something, but I'll be talking to someone, hear something, and then she will pop out and recap it. Are you not considering those interruptions?

I had a chuckle at that when it happened, so satisfying.

I really hope that was intentional. Which means it's probably not.

there's no way it wasn't, she even used the word in
plural

ant1532

Banned
Weird as fuck indeed, for the mayority she pops up. Are you on a game+ file by any chance?

Can the game be pulling user behaviour data from the system OS and adjusting the ingame hints acording to it? Can't think of anythen else really. Because on every instance pre dungeon 3 and 5 that i have seen she does the same thing.

No, I'm not playing a plus file. But I do have pro settings on for the interface if that means something.

jman2050

I do not understand this Fi disparity. She absolutely has interrupted me while playing...not to spoil a dungeon or something, but I'll be talking to someone, hear something, and then she will pop out and recap it. Are you not considering those interruptions?

My thinking is that most people are disregarding the recap ones. I know for me when that happens I just hold A for 5 seconds and just go about my business like nothing happened. It's annoying, but I'm not really thinking about it when I play.

Ridley327

I think it's in relation to puzzle spoilers. As an example, it's weird that some people have reported that she totally ruins the
fifth dungeon puzzle
and some people (like myself) never had her come out at all.

Dynedom

I rage whenever somehow shield bash doesn't come out. For no reason. At. ALL.

I always figure this was a timing issue on my part but I don't think that's the case either.

Another rage inducing part:
learning the spiral dash
. I was willing to give the flight controls a pass because they didn't require a lengthy sequence dependent on precision. Then that section came up. Luckily I got it on like my 4th try. I guess I'm the only one who found it much more obnoxious than
tadtone
collecting.

Fi is absolutely inexcusable in this game. The fact that you cannot turn off these hints is mind-blowing. Between this and the constant re-reminding of item pickups, I'm sure I've added needless time to this game.

In fact, if I ever replay this game (not on Hero mode), I'm going to do an experiment (rather obsessive). I'm going to total up the amount of playtime that belongs to Fi's dialogue (without speeding it up). I swear, the % of that compared to total playtime is probably more staggering than people think.

Question about the Moonlight Merchant: Does he only appear after a certain point in the game? I just cleared dungeon 4 and he's nowhere to be found in the Skyloft Waterfall Cave..No butterflies, nothin.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Whoever came up with the
timeshift crystals concept deserves a fucking raise. This is the best mechanic in Zelda since forever ago. That boat on the great sand sea is such a joy. There could be an entire Zelda game based around that boat and idea.

NimbusD

I think it's in relation to puzzle spoilers. As an example, it's weird that some people have reported that she totally ruins the
fifth dungeon puzzle
and some people (like myself) never had her come out at all.

For me she ruined
the puzzle to get into the third dungeon, where you have to arrange the fire, water, electric symbols that you just collected, with your sword got it wrong once because I didn't understand that it was even a puzzle, just thought it was motion control immersive door opening whatever. Instead of the game even giving me like even three tries she immediately jumps out and is like THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT LOL. So much for a sense of accomplishment.
It's only happened one or two other times, but it's completely ridiculous to just jump out and tell you how to solve a puzzle, then just go through the motions. Luckily it's few and far between so far.

I always figure this was a timing issue on my part but I don't think that's the case either.

Another rage inducing part:
learning the spiral dash
. I was willing to give the flight controls a pass because they didn't require a lengthy sequence dependent on precision. Then that section came up. Luckily I got it on like my 4th try. I guess I'm the only one who found it much more obnoxious than
tadtone
collecting.

It took you four tries for that? It takes literally two minutes to do that part on your first try, they even give you way too much time and
targets

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
[Pre-dungeon 6 spoilers]
[Nintex], about that one part you mentioned before I found a video playthrough and the guy isn't
using the shortcut. Not sure it proves you can't (dude doesn't really seem that good, tbh), but after watching it I seem to remember I followed the same route, so I guess you're right.

Whoever came up with the
timeshift crystals concept deserves a fucking raise. This is the best mechanic in Zelda since forever ago. That boat on the great sand sea is such a joy. There could be an entire Zelda game based around that boat and idea.

The only thing they omitted was
a crystal small enough to be picked up by the bug
that could have had endless possibilities.

Just beat it. I can go into more explicit details about it later, but it's the best good-to-great game that could have been a flat-out masterpiece that I've played in recent times.
Haha seems like that is where I would say the gaf consensus lands at the moment.

Somehow they ignore that and just let her keep sucking up to them

doyoulikemylonlonface.jpg

Yeah, last sentence didn't make any sense, and din't contribute in any matter. I just wanted an excuse to get another run out of the photoshop...

No, I'm not playing a plus file. But I do have pro settings on for the interface if that means something.
No, having the GUI in pro doesn't influence Fi at all. I guess people that don't find her intrusive are not paying much attention to it.
Fi is absolutely inexcusable in this game. The fact that you cannot turn off these hints is mind-blowing.

In fact, if I ever replay this game (not on Hero mode), I'm going to do an experiment (rather obsessive). I'm going to total up the amount of playtime that belongs to Fi's dialogue (without speeding it up).
That would be amazing and very intersting. However, for know i would settle with a youtube video with everyone of Fi's intrusions. If i had video editing software i would love to do it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The only thing they omitted was
a crystal small enough to be picked up by the bug
that could have had endless possibilities.
Oh God, yes. I loved [pre-dungeon 5 spoilers]
being able to carry the timeshift orb
. This would have been even better.

Dynedom

It took you four tries for that? It takes literally two minutes to do that part on your first try, they even give you way too much time and
targets

Yes because I kept losing calibration during it and the bird would veer off in another direction randomly. That and I made the mistake initially of going after some of the flying targets (on my final attempt, I got it while only having to resort to 2 birds). This and the bird overturning. Like I would tilt my controller slightly and nothing would happen (probably a calibration issue again). I'd have to do a big movement to get any response and this would often mean overshooting a target. Another thing is that the bird would have a hard time accepting my request to climb (my shaking the wiimote). It's obnoxious how sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes he refuses to climb.

Surprisingly, the
Levias
battle was okay. It took me some time to
attack some of the eyeballs
but it was over rather quick. Thank god you only have to do that once
before fighting on his back

targets

I guess you've mastered the flying controls. Congratulations.

I, on the other hand, have a lot of difficulty with the flying controls. I think it took me 8 tries, then I got it in 80 seconds.

Red

No, having the GUI in pro doesn't influence Fi at all. I guess people that don't find her intrusive are not paying much attention to it.

That would be amazing and very intersting. However, for know i would settle with a youtube video with everyone of Fi's intrusions. If i had video editing software i would love to do it.
If she were spoiling puzzles for me, that would be intrusive. But she's not.

Wait... what's this :O!

Theres a merchant that appears in the cave at night who sells rare upgrade ingredients and I know where the spot is but theres no butterflies. Im wondering if I have to complete up to a certain point for them to appear. Ive check during the day as well.

Holy shit at
the sky temple. What an awesome concept, and so far has been quite devious and challenging. Absolutely love it. I got the feeling people were disappointed in it, and I completely disagree. The segments have all been intense. Reminds me of the cube movie. Just got the 1st Triforce.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Either Dungeon 6 was really easy or I was in a weird Zelda zone where I didn't have to spend any time thinking about any part of it.

I got stuck...

Could not figure out that you had to grab the water plants with a stab, despite the game basically hinting at that by having one of them stuck in the middle of a circular hole that you could only hit by stabbing.

And of course if you've been messing around early on you realized you could do that with the pumpkins.

That's pretty good design, actually, and they didn't even have Fi explain it to you...hell, I actually asked for a hint and she just said to use the beetle or Gust Bellows to explore the room.

Theres a merchant that appears in the cave at night who sells rare upgrade ingredients and I know where the spot is but theres no butterflies. Im wondering if I have to complete up to a certain point for them to appear. Ive check during the day as well.
Whoa, did not know that. :0

Dynedom

I guess you've mastered the flying controls. Congratulations.

I, on the other hand, have a lot of difficulty with the flying controls. I think it took me 8 tries, then I got it in 80 seconds.

I think I finished with like 13 seconds to go. My last 2 targets were 2 birds and the last bird of course almost gave me a heart attack.

I got stuck...

Could not figure out that you had to grab the water plants with a stab, despite the game basically hinting at that by having one of them stuck in the middle of a circular hole that you could only hit by stabbing.

See, I figured this out on my own and quite by accident. This game is great when it actually forces you to figure shit out on your own. Imagine that. I think that's why the boss battles are great (with the exception of ones hampered by motion issues). Figuring out how to kill them without Fi getting up in your face is so gratifying.

Watch Da Birdie

I beat the Spiral Target challenge in my first try...

With 0 seconds remaining. Was pretty pumped. :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
[Post-dungeon 6 spoilers]

Holy shit at
the sky temple. What an awesome concept, and so far has been quite devious and challenging. Absolutely love it. I got the feeling people were disappointed in it, and I completely disagree. Reminds me of the cube movie. Just got the 1st Triforce.
I absolutely loved it. Most clever dungeon in the game. To me, with the exception of dungeon 6, they were all a continuous crescendo, with every dungeon better than the previous one.

I got stuck...

And of course if you've been messing around early on you realized you could do that with the pumpkins.

That's pretty good design, actually, and they didn't even have Fi explain it to you...hell, I actually asked for a hint and she just said to use the beetle or Gust Bellows to explore the room.

Whoa, did not know that. :0

Yeah I figured that one out on my own and it was pretty cool. My sister was shocked that I figured it out on my own by accident. I was slashing aways most of them in my pathway to get up there and I accidentally stabbed one of them and realized what I had to do.

Ha, I never realized pre-dungeon 2 minigame
that if you sit on the stool next to Tubert, you'll actually have a conversation with him.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit at
the sky temple. What an awesome concept, and so far has been quite devious and challenging. Absolutely love it. I got the feeling people were disappointed in it, and I completely disagree. The segments have all been intense. Reminds me of the cube movie. Just got the 1st Triforce.

I highlighted this but holy fucking shit...

I thought there were only 6 dungeons :O There's a 7th one? AWESOME! XD!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man I don't see the complaints about the
Silent Realm. I've played through the first two and they're fantastic. I love how tense it is. There was this instance in the Lanaryu one with the minecart surrounded by water. It was such a close call that I had to jump through the flying guardian to get the drop. Craziness.

Watch Da Birdie

Ha, I never realized pre-dungeon 2 minigame
that if you sit on the stool next to Tubert, you'll actually have a conversation with him.

There's actually a lot of places where sitting on a stool or chair will result in extra dialogue.

Like at the beginning of the game you'll make Owlan upset if you sit in his chair.

Varna

Silent Realm. I've played through the first two and they're fantastic. I love how tense it is. There was this instance in the Lanaryu one with the minecart surrounded by water. It was such a close call that I had to jump through the flying guardian to get the drop. Craziness.

They are well done. But just like a lot of things that carried over from TP one has to question why they are there in the first place. Did anyone series like these sections in TP?

nintendo should patch fi if it's such a big deal. i actually don't know if that's even possible with their system, though.

Don't believe it is. All the item messages resetting after restarting is such a massive oversight.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Silent Realm is one of my favorite things

[Nintex];32995649 said:
You mean there's some more boring than:

Pre-dungeon 6 spoiler
Carrying the water basin up to the vulcano with that stupid robot thing?

Ok, so here's what blew my mind about this, in a bad way.
After getting in the volcano and getting fucked up the ass by the 2 lizard guys (the game expects you to beat them both in like 5 seconds or the robot blows up, even when they're not even attacking him) I enter the door which has the waterfall, obviously so he can fill up his damn basin. We get there, he does nothing, I talk to him, he's like 'what are you doing we're not there yet!'. Then I fucking realize, I guess that means he's beeen carrying the basin WITH WATER IN IT since the beginning, ALL THE WHILE COMPLAINING HOW HEAVY IT IS. I mean, come on Nintendo. Illogical shit like this dissapoints me. Why the fuck would he carry a basin full of water across the world, instead of filling it from the spot RIGHT NEXT to the destination? Did anyone else naturally go to the waterfall, as I did? Fucking stupid robot.

The hell... I never knew this. I needed one last blue feather for so long grrr

Top Bottom