• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Ridley327

Ok, so here's what blew my mind about this, in a bad way.
After getting in the volcano and getting fucked up the ass by the 2 lizard guys (the game expects you to beat them both in like 5 seconds or the robot blows up, even when they're not even attacking him) I enter the door which has the waterfall, obviously so he can fill up his damn basin. We get there, he does nothing, I talk to him, he's like 'what are you doing we're not there yet!'. Then I fucking realize, I guess that means he's beeen carrying the basin WITH WATER IN IT since the beginning, ALL THE WHILE COMPLAINING HOW HEAVY IT IS. I mean, come on Nintendo. Illogical shit like this dissapoints me. Why the fuck would he carry a basin full of water across the world, instead of filling it from the spot RIGHT NEXT to the destination? Did anyone else naturally go to the waterfall, as I did? Fucking stupid robot.

Well, I didn't.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
nintendo should patch fi if it's such a big deal. i actually don't know if that's even possible with their system, though.
I doubt they can. She would be a lot more bearable if her icon just flashed if you were stuck in the same area for a long time, and then she asked if you need help.

They are well done. But just like a lot of things that carried over from TP one has to question why they are there in the first place. Did anyone series like these sections in TP?
They are greatly improved compared to TP.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They are well done. But just like a lot of things that carried over from TP one has to question why they are there in the first place. Did anyone series like these sections in TP?

But they're not really like TP's at all. In TP, there's no sense of urgency. It's what makes the ones in SS work.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I enter the door which has the waterfall, obviously so he can fill up his damn basin. We get there, he does nothing, I talk to him, he's like 'what are you doing we're not there yet!'. Then I fucking realize, I guess that means he's beeen carrying the basin WITH WATER IN IT since the beginning, ALL THE WHILE COMPLAINING HOW HEAVY IT IS. I mean, come on Nintendo. Illogical shit like this dissapoints me. Why the fuck would he carry a basin full of water across the world, instead of filling it from the spot RIGHT NEXT to the destination? Did anyone else naturally go to the waterfall, as I did? Fucking stupid robot.

That definitely sounds like your fault...

Phenomic

I do not understand this Fi disparity. She absolutely has interrupted me while playing...not to spoil a dungeon or something, but I'll be talking to someone, hear something, and then she will pop out and recap it. Are you not considering those interruptions?

I don't think necessarily people are seeing different things I just feel it's how people take it. I mean yeah sometimes it got on my nerves, but most of the time I would just blindly read it. A lot of people were annoyed by Navi, but it's never personally been one of those things that breaks immersion for me. Just kind of shrug it off and continue after it's finished. However, it opening the map did annoy me.

nintendo should patch fi if it's such a big deal. i actually don't know if that's even possible with their system, though.

Some online Wii games got patched I think (The Conduit?) but it probably won't happen.

The re-release in 13 years might take care of it. Then again, the owl wasn't fixed in OoT 3DS.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ok, so here's what blew my mind about this, in a bad way.
After getting in the volcano and getting fucked up the ass by the 2 lizard guys (the game expects you to beat them both in like 5 seconds or the robot blows up, even when they're not even attacking him) I enter the door which has the waterfall, obviously so he can fill up his damn basin. We get there, he does nothing, I talk to him, he's like 'what are you doing we're not there yet!'. Then I fucking realize, I guess that means he's beeen carrying the basin WITH WATER IN IT since the beginning, ALL THE WHILE COMPLAINING HOW HEAVY IT IS. I mean, come on Nintendo. Illogical shit like this dissapoints me. Why the fuck would he carry a basin full of water across the world, instead of filling it from the spot RIGHT NEXT to the destination? Did anyone else naturally go to the waterfall, as I did? Fucking stupid robot.
Uhm,
doesn't someone say explicitly the basin is already filled with water?

Some online Wii games got patched I think (The Conduit?) but it probably won't happen.

The re-release in 13 years might take care of it. Then again, the owl wasn't fixed in OoT 3DS.
I think CoD: World at War supported patches. I doubt Nintendo bothered with Zelda, though.

That definitely sounds like your fault...

It's my fault that I assumed he would fill up the water from the waterfall one room down from the destination? I'm supposed to think he's dragging the water across the world, when all you need is normal water? Why? And why are you all cool with that level of logic?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
kinda sucks that some of the bigger western companies are so good about patching, but a company as otherwise competent as nintendo can't release a 50kb file to give the option to disable an inessential feature.

CassSept

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
As you try to land in Faron Fi tells you something strange is going on, and you're forced to land at the sealed temple/grounds. You fight the Imprisoned, and then Groose launches you into the woods using the catapult. For the people having the glitch happen at the Faron part, this sequence is obviously never triggering, just like the volcano/losing your items sequence isn't triggering for me.

[post-6th dungeon]
You can actually land behind Sealed Temple, which can confuse some people (at least it did me). Iirc Impa doesn't tell you anything substantial and the way forward is shut. Thus I thought I can't do Faron's song yet, so I went ahead and did Eldin and Lanayru first. I went back to Faron Woods but nothing triggered but after running around I just went into Sealed Grounds and the third Imprisoned fight triggered. Maybe that's what these people are doing wrong?

Edit:
Uhm,
Yeah,
I believe it was one of the Mogmas, or maybe it was that Goron (or was it Fi? I don't remember), that there isn't enough water in that small pond next to the waterfall to quench the third statue's thirst.

Watch Da Birdie

It's my fault that I assumed he would fill up the water from the waterfall one room down from the destination? I'm supposed to think he's dragging the water across the world, when all you need is normal water? Why? And why are you all cool with that level of logic?

Well, you just came from a giant palace filled with water all around, and he's carrying a basin that you
yourself filled with water earlier in the game

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
You're pissed because you wasted 20 seconds to enter a door that's along the way, even though you didn't need to?
Also, question:
Uhm,
I'm asking because I genuinely can't remember. I do remember I already knew it was, if that helps.

You're pissed because you wasted 20 seconds to enter a door that's along the way, even though you didn't need to?
Also, question:

I'm asking because I genuinely can't remember. I do remember I already knew it was, if that helps.

I just did that part this morning.

And yes, Fi explicitly says it is before you go get it.

kinda sucks that some of the bigger western companies are so good about patching, but a company as otherwise competent as nintendo can't release a 50kb file to give the option to disable an inessential feature.

I love that every time you need to retry a trial/minigame, you need to click through all the same walls of text again. And the fact that even after 50 hours you need to wait through the 'POINT THE WIIMOTE AT THE PLACE YOU WANT TO LAND' screen. It's small but adds yet another completely useless wait to an already prolonged sequence of travelling. There's a billion examples of this. Another is the pumpkin transport minigame, where there's literally like 6 screens of text you need to go through again EVERY TIME you need to retry. In any other game I've played the last 10 years, you're presented with shortened text if you've already read through it. or at least the ability to skip through it quicker. There's many, many egregious examples of this throughout the game at every point, which is why there's no way I'll be replaying this. Stretched my patience the 1st time, the 2nd it will be even more frustrating.

Watch Da Birdie

"Master, there's a 95% chance that this basin is filled with water"

Maybe he took a 5% chance on Fi being wrong?

I saw the water in the basin
as we were flying with it

[Nintex]

They sometimes have useful information though :/
I sure know I'll be ignoring them in the next Zeldas, unless I get really stuck.

I'm not sure in which Zelda it was, it might've been Phantom Hourglass(go figure!) when there's a cave and two adventures died or something getting lost there and you basically follow their path reading the tomb stones like a diary. It was smart, fun, well designed and one of those great moments in Zelda-history and according to my memory it was part of one of the worst Zelda-games.

[Pre-dungeon 6 spoilers]
[Nintex], about that one part you mentioned before I found a video playthrough and the guy isn't
using the shortcut. Not sure it proves you can't (dude doesn't really seem that good, tbh), but after watching it I seem to remember I followed the same route, so I guess you're right.

Yep and I'm about to continue to beat that bit and continue adventuring.

Also I second the love for the
Timeshift stuff. Can't wait to see how they explore that further in Zelda Wii U, since I believe it's one of those 'keepers'.

CassSept

My answer died at the end of last page :(
Yes, you remember right. [post 6-th dungeon]
I can't remember who it was, but it was said that there isn't enough water in the pond to quench the third frog's thirst so you have to go somewhere else to fetch it. It wasn't only the matter of the size of the container, it was also the amount of H2O.

This deserves a round of applause.

Nobody is addressing my point that it's ludicrous that they would travel with it filled. Ok, so I missed a damn line that Fi said. Sue me. My point is that its idiotic they would fill it before travelling, when theres a waterfall RIGHT THERE and which they asked us to use the 2 previous times.

Nobody is addressing my point that it's ludicrous that they would travel with it filled. Ok, so I missed a damn line that Fi said. Sue me. My point is that its idiotic they would fill it before travelling, when theres a waterfall RIGHT THERE and which they asked us to use the 2 previous times.

Why would you want to fill an already-full basin? The robot decided to carry it full of water. Sure it's dumb. Doesn't change that it is indeed full.

totowhoa

Banned
Just got to dungeon 4. Question about the lead-in to this dungeon and if this is going to be consistent for the next couple of dungeons:

Oy, while it wasn't horrible, I hated running back and forth from the north side, to the south side, go to the lake, get told I need to find the water only to discover it's back on the north side and through the boss door of the damned dungeon. Digging around holes aimlessly for a key for the one door that has been locked... ugh. Will I have to re-enter dungeons 2 and 3 to do some stupid shit like this again? It was quick, but it wasn't fun, and I imagine dungeons 2 and 3 will take considerably longer given their layouts if so.

Loving the game so far save for some minor quibbles. Right now it's on TP level for me, but probably better due to the polished style and music. TP's barrier to re-entry for me was the damned intro I could never get through again. This intro in SS seemed way more smooth and straightforward, albeit a bit lengthy as well. Looks there are going to be some things I might hate about this game, but so far I'm enjoying it more than TP and the two DS games, which is a good sign.

Also, why does Link bring all his stuff with him. You're not going to need the slingshot anymore! I can get by without the bug net! He's just wasting energy!

Also why don't I just fly to the end of temples? I have a bird, he can fly, this actually makes no logical sense.

And what's the deal with airline peanuts?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aesthetically, as gorgeous as the game is, I'm pretty disappointed they chose to include both
a volcanic and desert area. They're different enough, but they're both essential arid, dry flora free locations that share a similarly drab atmosphere. I would have liked if maybe the desert and volcanic areas were connected, and the third lump of underworld be dedicated to snow and mountains maybe. Something to offer a more striking visual and atmospheric difference to the current trio.

Also, why does Link bring all his stuff with him. You're not going to need the slingshot anymore! I can get by without the bug net! He's just wasting energy!

Also why don't I just fly to the end of temples? I have a bird, he can fly, this actually makes no logical sense.

And what's the deal with airline peanuts?

I knew people would start with these asinine posts. I don't expect Zelda to be logical, obviously, and all that shit you mentioned would affect gameplay. I have no problem with any other logic in the game, and I'm at the last temple. But this little thing just seemed absolutely, mind-bendingly stupid. Especially since he keeps repeating to you how fucking heavy it is. I like how everyone is attacking me, instead of addressing my point and agreeing with something obvious.

Yen

One of the Sunday Times supplements says that you need two motion+'s for this, one for sword and one for shield. Is this true?
I don't see how it could be.

Dascu

I had no idea it was possible to lose it until I read the last few pages here.

It's pretty easy unless you run out of arrows (which I did on my first try).

I knew people would start with these asinine posts. I don't expect Zelda to be logical, obviously, and all that shit you mentioned would affect gameplay. I have no problem with any other logic in the game, and I'm at the last temple. But this little thing just seemed absolutely, mind-bendingly stupid. Especially since he keeps repeating to you how fucking heavy it is. I like how everyone is attacking me, instead of addressing my point and agreeing with something obvious.

I agree with you. The
pre-6th dungeon stuff was really stupid, with needless backtracking to Faron and redoing the entire Eldin region with a vulnerable sidekick this time. More than any other moment in the game, it felt like Nintendo was cheaping out and put in a fetch quest to avoid having to make a new area for Eldin.

Goddammit I'm so tired of not discussing this game with you all. I've been trying to read through the whole thread, but with the holidays and time with the girlfriend and all that the thread is always at least five pages ahead of me. So fuck it, discussion time

I'm just about to enter the sixth dungeon. So far, this game is absolutely breaking my heart

This game is good. At times, it's great. And every so often, it's fucking amazing and reminds me why Nintendo is my favorite company in gaming

I find it near inexcusable then, for all of these lazy stupid-ass decisions that SIGNIFICANTLY tarnish the final product. With one of the most talented development teams in the industry, one of the strongest and (previously) most innovative franchises as a basis, FIVE FUCKING YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT TIME (which is almost unheard of), and with a budget that I'm assuming was way deeper than what 90% of other developers can even dream of, there is absolutely NO excuse for this game to not be universally accepted as one of the most amazing creations in the entire medium.

Amir0x, you have been my favorite poster in this thread, primarily because we had virtually the same expectations going in. I was so convinced that this was going to be the pinnacle of the franchise. Everything shown pre-release, and everything talked about by those crafty Nintendo PR masters (which I can't get too upset at, because they did a damn good job of making the game sound way better than it is, and I'm a PR major so I'm rather impressed), made it seem like this experience would be one of the rarest of treats in entertainment. It seemed like the Zelda team was drawing upon every single element that had made the franchise great for the past 25 years, and combining it all into one masterful creation.

So what in the UNHOLY FUCK went wrong? There are so many downright baffling decisions, I can barely wrap my head around it. It doesn't follow any sort of logic at all.

Let's start with the character that makes Navi look like a sexy, knob-slobbing, big titted dream vixen. This game undeniably has some of the most creative puzzles in the entire series. It is beyond crazy, then, when Fi does something like repeating an objective that the player has JUST been told through another character. Fi alerts you when your hearts are low too. Why was this design philosophy implemented? The only thing I can think of is that Miyamoto and Co. thought that the depleted heart meter at the top of the screen, Link flashing red, and the incessant beeping noise combined to create such a sensory overload that the player didn't notice any of those three painstakingly obvious hints that you are on the verge of death. Therefore, Fi must come to the rescue!

"MASTER, YOU ARE LOW ON HEARTS! AND I AM LOW ON SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

There are some truly innovative challenges in this game, so when the game expects you to figure out some of these outside-the-box puzzles on your own, yet insists on always reiterating the same basic bullshit that a blind 2 year old neanderthal could grasp, I am left scratching my head. Obviously I'm not suggesting they should spoil the harder puzzles (which Fi occassionally does anyway, that whore), I'm merely trying to figure out what was going through the minds of the dev team. "HMM LET'S MAKE THE ENTIRE GAME LIKE ONE HUGE DUNGEON! BUT SHIT, AS PLAYERS TRAVERSE THE LAND SOLVING PUZZLE AFTER PUZZLE AFTER PUZZLE THEY MIGHT NOT REALIZE THEIR HEART METER IS LOW. FI TO THE RESCUE, FUCK YEAH!" [Iwata: laughs]

I don't even want to continue ranting about Fi, because she is such an unholy abortion that it almost makes me wish I was never born (similar to how I feel about the Metallica/Lou Reed album). Considering she was the ONLY other element shown besides Link in that very first piece of concept art so long ago, I expected a hell of a lot more from her. Especially coming off of Midna (did that sound dirty?), who was one of the best sidekick characters in Zelda history. I own and have beaten every game in this series, and I can say pretty conclusively that Fi is my least favorite character in the entire 25 years of the franchises' existence.

And then there is the stupid padding/fetch quest stuff. Truthfully, it hasn't been so bad for my on my first runthrough, but I know it will make replays an absolute chore. Amir0x had it right when he said almost half the game could be cut and the experience would be drastically better. I'd rather have one non-stop 15 hour Zelda orgasm than an experience that continually alters from flaccid to erect like Bob Dole popping viagra, boning his wife, and then doing it all over again. Christ.

What else? Oh yeah. The fucking sidequests. Some of them are neat, sure. But I checked online yesterday to see what the rewards were, and they all amount to useless shit. At least, compared to something as amazing as the Fierce Deity Mask, for example. The rewards are in fact so useless that I will not bother finishing the rest of the sidequests, because why the hell would I? Even something like the magic armor from Twilight Princess would have been a lot more useful in this game, because, unlike Twilight Princess, this game is occasionally challenging. And since the primary reason for collecting bugs is to *GASP!* sell them for rupees, it at least could have made that aspect more relevant if you had a powerful item that ran on rupees as a fuel source. Not that I would truly care about something like magic armor in this game anyway, since it's still way too easy for my tastes

I could go on about my complaints of this game, but I've been drinking (it's only 1 pm on a Sunday, what of it?) and am really itching to get back to the game. Because for all my complaints, I'm still having a blast with it. Some of the best dungeons on the series, the best use of items in who knows how long, amazing soundtrack (most of the time), vibrant and colorful graphics (something that I felt was sorely lacking from Twilight Princess), and a story that apparently gets super badass post dungeon 6 (which is where I'm at)

I will say one last thing though. As a communication major, I am particularly fond of communication theory. And in particular, I reckon a lot of the defending of blatantly terrible mechanics in this game is a result of cognitive dissonance. We've waited for this game for five years. A lot of us, like with Twilight Princess, succumbed to hype that was way too lofty for the product we ended up with. So instead of accepting reality, some people are doing complex mental gymnastics to convince themselves that some of the games problems either aren't very bad or are a matter of "preference". I know entertainment isn't objective by any means, but there has to be at least SOME standard based on reasoned opinion by which to judge games, or else every single game could be both the best and worst thing ever because it would solely come down to a completely neutral, impartial, subjectivity that doesn't place value on good design decisions over bad ones.

totowhoa

Banned
Aesthetically, as gorgeous as the game is, I'm pretty disappointed they chose to include both
a volcanic and desert area. They're different enough, but they're both essential arid, dry flora free locations that share a similarly drab atmosphere. I would have liked if maybe the desert and volcanic areas were connected, and the third lump of underworld be dedicated to snow and mountains maybe. Something to offer a more striking visual and atmospheric difference to the current trio.

Gotta agree with this, I was a little disappointed when I learned what the final area theme was since they were so similar IMO
particularly since they both involved treacherous terrain
. No
snow area
is a bit criminal. I was looking forward to hearing what they were going to do with the music when I inevitably arrived to that area. Oh well.

People have addressed your point, you just don't agree and are clearly getting upset that everyone isn't agreeing with you, which is not the same as "making asinine posts."

If it were the case of it, intentionally or unintentionally, leading you to the wrong place, wouldn't most people agree that it was a good point and the rest of us thought the same whether we did actually go there or not?

It seems like you made a mistake and just don't want to admit that it was pretty much on you. Which I don't really care to entertain beyond where it entertains me.

totowhoa

Banned
Haven't found a single monster claw yet. Can't upgrade anything without them.

Ha, I've only gotten two and I'm at dungeon 4. I think I got one from a bat (could be wrong) and the other I got from a (extremely minor content spoiler)
gossip stone from one of the butterfly patches where you play the harp.

1. Robot says it is heavy
2. You can conclude it is full of water
3. Filling it is then unnecessary
4. You went to the waterfall anyway

If you expect people to agree with you, you will be disappointed. You made a silly mistake. Get over it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Farm them from bats, specifically the cave you enter on Skyloft from the first mission in the game. A bunch (maybe five) spawn right inside, and there's two floating around the entrance, so you can quickly go in and out to kill them as each respawns while you're killing the others. Having the treasure medal helps tons.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The pacing between all the dungeon 2 stuff all the way through to completing dungeon 3 was phenomenal -- I couldn't put the game down. Unfortunately after that it's slowed down for me. I'm still enjoying it, but they definitely made some design decisions that dropped the pacing and excitement-level way down after hitting such a high-point.

Still loving it, and still thinking the game is brilliant... but how awesome would it have been if (post dungeon 3 spoilers, up to dungeon 5)
after Zelda and Impa go through the portal, while you're still pumped-up and ready to go kick ass after such a dramatic showdown, you follow through the portal in hot pursuit and arrive in an all-new mysterious land/realm where you could now advance to the remaining dungeons..... Something like that would definitely retain the sense of "I can't wait to see what's next!" (I haven't been past dungeon 5 yet, so I'm not sure if something like this does indeed happens later)

It's not that I'm against the idea of returning/backtracking to old locations and opening up new areas within them.. but to have that be the primary progression for the rest of the game (as it seems to be) isn't super exciting and might have worked so much better as optional/sidequest backtracking, IMO. Having the story basically come to a halt while also having all the remaining pre-dungeon content share the theme of the three main locations you've already traversed.. just not as exciting as seeing all new-stuff. (I'm also seeing a lot of enemies and NPCs starting to be repeated around dungeon 5)

Obviously the game is already huge, and my suggestion above would have made it even more massive, but I can't help but be let down in that regard.

1. Robot says it is heavy
2. You can conclude it is full of water
3. Filling it is then unnecessary
4. You went to the waterfall anyway

If you expect people to agree with you, you will be disappointed. You made a silly mistake. Get over it.

God, you seem thick. Do you think I'm pissed I wasted 20 seconds going into the wrong room? I was annoyed at the idiotic logic. My posts all make this obvious. Silly? It was the sensible route of action.

Electric Brain

Neo Member
I think the point is, that, yes, some things are pretty damned stupid, but they don,t detract all THAT much from the experience.

My biggest gripes so far (just finished dungeon 4) include:

Unskippable text: ok, I get it, you don't want people to miss instructions, or want to make sure that if you didn't read something, you can readit again. I'm betting that it's done this way because you risk alienating new or beginner players (not being able to go back can be equally infuriating - I was pretty annoyed at MGS for making it so that if you hit Start, all the text breezes past and th être was no way to go back).

Disregardng the argument of who the more important fanbases are for Zelda (new or experienced), there is one very simple solution so that you can have your cake and eat it too - skippable text. Just make it so 'b' instant skips the text. If you can't do that, then just have it skip that text box. If you can't do THAT, at the ver least, have a button just instAntly write out the text to the next prompt. I know they made 'a' speed it up, but it's not fast enough. Even in previous Zelda games, they had options for txt speed, which I always put at max.

Infuriating, especially, as paradoxal stated, some of the text is extensive and pretty annoying to repeat certain tests. I guess it's so you don't keep tryi something that is maybe impossible at at time, but seriously - skippable text.

My other big gripe is not being able to warp between save statues. I can land at any one I want, but I can't warp? I'm forced to 'return to sky', fly a u-turn, reland, and reselect my position? Really? I get it, you want us to fly and 'experience' the game transport, but at the very least, make it so you can warp between statues when within a province. That only makes sense.

And in particular, I reckon a lot of the defending of blatantly terrible mechanics in this game is a result of cognitive dissonance. We've waited for this game for five years. A lot of us, like with Twilight Princess, succumbed to hype that was way too lofty for the product we ended up with. So instead of accepting reality, some people are doing complex mental gymnastics to convince themselves that some of the games problems either aren't very bad or are a matter of "preference". I know entertainment isn't objective by any means, but there has to be at least SOME standard based on reasoned opinion by which to judge games, or else every single game could be both the best and worst thing ever because it would solely come down to a completely neutral, impartial, subjectivity that doesn't place value on good design decisions over bad ones.
I have bled dry my fingers typing the same message for years, but people are being people and they/we just won't listen. The most retarded and blatant issue with the game can be easily justified with the "preference" card.

Another fucking problem is the amount of 10's the game got with the critics, so how are we supposed to convey the message to Nintendo that there are some things in the series that should be fixed by now, when the opinions that get more exposure are prasising the game as an immaculate master piece?

Garcia

That's one of the worst things in this game. Those are the rarest drops until you finally get the
cursed medal
. Btw, the best source of monster claws are
bats
, in any of their variations: fire, thunder, dark, or regular.

jman2050

I have bled dry my fingers typing the same message for years, but people are being people and they/we just won't listen. The most retarded and blatant issue with the game can be easily justified with the "preference" card.

Another fucking problem is the amount of 10's the game got with the critics, so how are we supposed to convey the message to Nintendo that there are some things in the series that should be fixed by now, when the opinions that get more exposure are prasising the game as an immaculate master piece?

Sorry dude, there's such a thing as "yeah this is annoying but I don't care, it's not a big deal."

Criticism doesn't (and shouldn't) automatically lead to hate.

A lot of us, like with Twilight Princess, succumbed to hype that was way too lofty for the product we ended up with.
Hadn't it been for this thread my expectations would still have been skyhigh for the game. Now I expect to play a really damn great game, but not a masterpiece. I'm pretty sure I can only be postively surprised once I get it.

But yeah, considering what you wrote in the beginning of your post, you would think the development of the game was reciept for a masterpiece, but apparently not.

So if something doesn't bother someone, you believe that the flaw is actually with the person?

..wall of text..

Pretty much, I agree completely. The thing is, the game has enough content and the core sequences are long enough, that the padding wasn't necessary. It's like Nintendo thinks that if the game isn't 40+ hrs long there will be an outcry. No, there won't. No need to artifically lengthen a game that is long enough already. It kills the momentum, the motivation, and the pacing. Some fetch-quests are actually fun, some were horribly lazy and cheapen the entire experience. This is one of the most massive game I've ever played (and probably the most massive Zelda) in terms of ground mass with gameplay involved, sidequests, etc. So there's no need to inject momemtum-killing padding all the way through. If this wasn't a Zelda game, I know for a fact there would have been multiple points in the game that I would have just quit, because I just wasn't having any fun, and the pace was way too slow and tedious. But this is Zelda, so I KNOW continuing to play will reap rewards. The tragic thing is that at its peak, this game is brilliant, as you stated.

Top Bottom